Tirek Austin-Cave up to 233

If Flagg has to start, any chance he doesn't look like Pudge Rodriguez next season?

Advertisement
The hate for Flagg is insane. Dudes dragging Flagg like he slept with their wife. The kid isn't what you want at MLB but it isn't his fault he's being put in a position to fail, that falls on the last staff.

If Steele and Strong pick him to start then lets ride. I **** sure don't know more ball than either of them.

Only way the light will come on is with real playing time in real games. This goes for TAC, Chase Smith, Huff, Brooks, etc. Manny playing Jennings, Rangone, Steed, Flagg, etc. over the guys with elite treats was a massive mistake.
Playing time will do nothing but help. BUT that's not the end all when it relates to these boys. Every position group previously recieved coaching that limited their development to simply matches inside of the scheme. I REALLY don't think people comprehend how bad the coaching was previously towards development. Not gonna harp on it because far too much positive is going on right now inside of the program to bother with previous staph shortcomings. What I will say is the teachings of proven talent developers like Steele and Strong can't be spoke on enough. I gaurentee you a few of those boys are gonna be night and day come September. Just watch.

Would love a competition mix of the following and see who comes out as the top 3-4 guys

Steed
TAC
Chase Smith
Keontra
Bissianthe
Frierson
Portal LB

Advertisement
Being in the right place at the right time is important for a linebacker. If a guy runs a 4.4 in the wrong direction, it can mean huge plays for the offense.

I also want to replace Flagg but he was really the best option last year. Chase Smith should have played more based on talent and practice performance, but the other guys weren't exactly making it hard for the coaches. We need improvement from physical talents like TAC and Huff and we need to Portal in competition.
If a player is your best guy in practice and it repeatedly fails to carry over into games, something is wrong with your practice environment.

If a player is your best guy in practice and it repeatedly fails to carry over into games, something is wrong with your practice environment.
Exactly

And that last staff didn’t do anything to buy my confidence that they just “know better”

If Mario and co say Flagg is the guy then alright…but this isn’t just a case of “play the backups!”

Cave didn't have his pops meet anyone. Don't change the narrative
Fine. I know that was said on here but if it was not true then fine.

The narrative though still stands that he wasnt getting it done in practice which has been confirmed by people who most here trust would not just pick on him. And the narrative is also that he has a second chance with a new staff. No excuses.

Playing time will do nothing but help. BUT that's not the end all when it relates to these boys. Every position group previously recieved coaching that limited their development to simply matches inside of the scheme. I REALLY don't think people comprehend how bad the coaching was previously towards development. Not gonna harp on it because far too much positive is going on right now inside of the program to bother with previous staph shortcomings. What I will say is the teachings of proven talent developers like Steele and Strong can't be spoke on enough. I gaurentee you a few of those boys are gonna be night and day come September. Just watch.
But isnt it also okay to admit that some of those guys in the LB room just werent that good? I dont think any LB coach could help some of those guys. We need an infusion of talent as well. Chase Smith didnt need long to just look the part out there at LB. And buddy had played the position sparingly in HS. And he popped off the screen immediately. Alot of the guys in that room never gave us that feeling.

Advertisement
Does Flagg exhibit something differently in practice? His game film does not reflect someone who should be ahead of anyone else.
I disagree. Flagg being forced to be the edge defender in space because Manny wanted to overuse his stupid stunts and blitzes that don't work should not be an indictment on Flagg.

He ain't the first or last backer that's slow. Good coaches know how to funnel the plays to a slow backer in tight spaces that allow him to play within his limits.

FLAGG is pretty **** good WITHIN THE TACKLE box and when he gets his hands on you. You're going down majority of the time.

Manny really screwed him with his cute gimmicky BS.

But isnt it also okay to admit that some of those guys in the LB room just werent that good? I dont think any LB coach could help some of those guys. We need an infusion of talent as well. Chase Smith didnt need long to just look the part out there at LB. And buddy had played the position sparingly in HS. And he popped off the screen immediately. Alot of the guys in that room never gave us that feeling.
Not saying you’re wrong but also when you turn on the tv every Saturday we see lesser talented guys making plays in games because they are being put in the best positions to maximize their talent

It’s felt like a lot of square peg round hole approaches with some kids here

Serious question, what the **** was Manny doing? LB room is like the planet of 'misfit toys'. Tons of tweeners; thankfully many are still young and may fill out, but K.Smith, Huff, Chase, Troutman (who else?) all looking like smallish LB-S types. I know, Striker.
Then the guys that are built like LB's can't play. Thankfully TAC is looking the part at 233, but can he play? Add Thomas Davis - undersized DE or LB? Oh, and Brooks - the HS pass rusher turned LB. Geez Manny..smh.

*here to co-sign Steed getting a look at Mike.

Last edited:
I'd try Keontra at MLB this spring and come what may.

WLB Chase - Steed - Johnson - Troutman
MLB Keontra - Brooks - Flagg - Cave
SLB Frierson - Bissainthe - Huff - Ragone
Animated GIF

Idk if Keontra is MLB material, but I see what you're trying to do to get him, Chase, and GB3 all on the field at the same time, and I like it lol.

Advertisement
Serious question, what the **** was Manny doing? LB room is like the planet of 'misfit toys'. Tons of tweeners; thankfully many are still young and may fill out, but K.Smith, Huff, Chase, Troutman (who else?) all looking like smallish LB-S types. I know, Striker.
Then the guys that are built like LB's can't play. Thankfully TAC is looking the part at 233, but can he play? Add Thomas Davis - undersized DE or LB? Geez Manny..smh.

Manny just needed another 4 or 5 more recruiting classes, come on!

I disagree. Flagg being forced to be the edge defender in space because Manny wanted to overuse his stupid stunts and blitzes that don't work should not be an indictment on Flagg.

He ain't the first or last backer that's slow. Good coaches know how to funnel the plays to a slow backer in tight spaces that allow him to play within his limits.

FLAGG is pretty **** good WITHIN THE TACKLE box and when he gets his hands on you. You're going down majority of the time.

Manny really screwed him with his cute gimmicky BS.

Naw.

Advertisement

Naw. My *** bruh. Anytime the Dline played assignment football flag was never a liability.

Everytime we did those dumb *** Dline stunts with safeties and backers blitzing from 10+ yards out forcing Flagg to be the edge defender in open space against elite speed he struggled.

Show me on film where he struggled and it didn't involve Mannys dumb *** scheme.

You not gonna sit here and act like Flagg didn't wreck **** within the tackle box like a MIDDLE LINEBACKER is supposed too.

Then the guys that are built like LB's can't play. Thankfully TAC is looking the part at 233, but can he play? Add Thomas Davis - undersized DE or LB? Oh, and Brooks - the HS pass rusher turned LB. Geez Manny..smh.

*here to co-sign Steed getting a look at Mike.

Correct. Manny's actual defense gets crushed on here, and it's certainly got it's flaws, but the MUCH larger indicator of his inability to get it done here was the recruiting aspect. I have long maintained, and will until I die, that at the HS and college levels, elite talent is far and away the largest predictor of success. It masks decent or even good coaching. But if you're not the best coach on the planet, and you're rolling out whatever in the everloving**** we saw at the linebacker position the last few years, you're toast.

Manny the recruiter is what got him fired. Not Manny the football coach. He was a better coach than he was recruiter.

Naw. My *** bruh. Anytime the Dline played assignment football flag was never a liability.

Everytime we did those dumb *** Dline stunts with safeties and backers blitzing from 10+ yards out forcing Flagg to be the edge defender in open space against elite speed he struggled.

Show me on film where he struggled and it didn't involve Mannys dumb *** scheme.

You not gonna sit here and act like Flagg didn't wreck **** within the tackle box like a MIDDLE LINEBACKER is supposed too.
@KrazyCane somebody tryna steal your name.

Advertisement
Back