Tirek Austin-Cave up to 233

Do you think in a scenario where is more or less "protected" that he will look better? Meaning if JHH/LT/Miller/Moutrie keep guards off of him and CSmith and KSmith do all the sideline to sideline/TE Seam grunt work that he can just play to his strength of being the QB of the defense and taking care of the middle of the LOS?

I say that because if TAC and whoever else just isnt getting it done in practice and not putting in the work..we cant just throw them out there either. Sets a bad precedent especially for a new staff.
To your first point, we need to get bigger up front through second wave of Portal and recruiting.

Overall, I think TAC just needs to do a better job. Keontra Smith didn't have a problem getting on the field. This is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of a fresh start.

Advertisement
I doubt anyone is starting or not while they’re still in the 4th quarter program, have they even started learning the playbook?

Only way the light will come on is with real playing time in real games. This goes for TAC, Chase Smith, Huff, Brooks, etc. Manny playing Jennings, Rangone, Steed, Flagg, etc. over the guys with elite treats was a massive mistake.
Made no sense to me. Those guys that played still made a lot of mistakes. Might as well have played the guys with the most athleticism and let them learn. Steed was the best of the LBs that played. He got better over the course of the season.

To your first point, we need to get bigger up front through second wave of Portal and recruiting.

Overall, I think TAC just needs to do a better job. Keontra Smith didn't have a problem getting on the field. This is a perfect opportunity to take advantage of a fresh start.
I don't know if TAC was handicapped because of the situation with his dad and the coaches. Definitely an opportunity for a fresh start.

Man we ****ed if this kid and huff can’t get they **** together we’re gonna be a mediocre defense at best with 11 out there again

Advertisement
One poster said it best, hes got a second chance. No more excuses. No more getting your pops to meet the coaches in the tunnel after a game to complain about PT. Its all on him now. If you cant shine under Steele and Strong..then you just aint it, son.
Whomever rolls out onto the field, we can rest assured they are the best at their position. There won't be any questioning Steele or Strong like we did with Manny and Patke.

I also expect better LB play from better veteran coaching. Who knows, are weaknes may turn into a strength.

I liked Tirek Austin-Cave coming out...I liked his highlight film because what he does best is what I liked from my own Mike linebackers IRL.

However, the highlights did show a limited player, which was a theme with most of the linebackers Manny Diaz took. Bunch of small downhill only types.

One poster said it best, hes got a second chance. No more excuses. No more getting your pops to meet the coaches in the tunnel after a game to complain about PT. Its all on him now. If you cant shine under Steele and Strong..then you just aint it, son.
Cave didn't have his pops meet anyone. Don't change the narrative

You would be surprised. FLagg probably be in coaches office everyday tryna learn the new defense, probably sets up the bags for coaches at spring practice, first in line, leading and doing the little things, coaches like that ****.. Then he has upper hand and they know they can trust him but when game time comes he getting juked by 5.0 forty running qbs and ****..
FAAAAAAAACTS!!!!!!!

Advertisement
If he is, we know he earned it is how I'm looking at it. Whether he starts or is the backup, the middle is the only lb position he could play because of his lack of speed. They say he was our smartest lb, so if he doesn't leave after spring, he's going to play, maybe not as much, but who knows.

Let's see how these kids respond to real coaching.
As much as Flagg gets trashed here, at least he seemed to know where he should be, even if he often wasn't physically capable of getting there. Jennings was the worst of them all. He looked confused and just randomly ran into people out there.

Being in the right place at the right time is important for a linebacker. If a guy runs a 4.4 in the wrong direction, it can mean huge plays for the offense.

I also want to replace Flagg but he was really the best option last year. Chase Smith should have played more based on talent and practice performance, but the other guys weren't exactly making it hard for the coaches. We need improvement from physical talents like TAC and Huff and we need to Portal in competition.
If a guy runs a 4.95 in the right direction, it can also mean huge plays for the offense.

Only way the light will come on is with real playing time in real games. This goes for TAC, Chase Smith, Huff, Brooks, etc. Manny playing Jennings, Rangone, Steed, Flagg, etc. over the guys with elite treats was a massive mistake.
I get what you're saying, but as a coach.... you're going to play the guy that you trust. You build that trust through reps at practice. If a guy is continuously making the wrong reads in practice and filling the wrong gaps, regardless of his physical abilities, he's not gonna be out on that field. Quick story.... (High school) We were making a depth chart one time, and my head coached asked me, "Coach, who are your starters (D Line)?" I gave him the names, but I was caught up between two kids at WDE and then he asked me..... "If your job depended on it.... and **** it very well may..... who would you choose?" I thought about it for two more seconds before I gave him a name. I went with the guy, that I trusted to know all of the calls, stunts, and assignments. What good are measurables, if your *** is unemployed? I can't feed my family, on a kids measurables. I have to trust that you're not gonna ***** up too bad or too often to play you. Now I continue to work on the kid with the measurables, hoping that he would eventually take the job.... and in a lot of cases they will, because they have a higher ceiling. I would play Mr. Measurables sometimes to get his feet wet, and I would let him do the things that he does best until he catches up. As a DC, if I did that... I would take off ALL checks. We were running what was called! But more than anything coaches will ALWAYS play the guy that they trust. If Flagg is still out there when we kick this thing off, you best believe that he has earned their trust. And trust that we now have coaches, that are smart enough to run a scheme that won't continuously put our slow MLB in a position to hurt us. That will be the difference.

Last edited:
by 'hasn't clicked yet', what i heard was 'is now playing for coaches who have a better understanding wtf they're doing.' anyone telling me he shouldnt have at least got reps over what we've had is absurd. sorry.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Large things come in very small packages

Does that line work with the ladies?

1645553150045.png

Advertisement
Talk about understatement, running sub 4.7 is nice but certainly not essential. Him running into lineman was not due to athletic deficiencies.
Part of that was our DL having 0 gap integrity and allowing the OL to get to the second level at will.

Didn’t mention anything about 1s or 2s in the interview but y’all need to lay off Flagg and give him the opportunity to improve. He is clearly a hard worker.

It not a good look from the fans imo.
That's not a thing we do here. Most people here had written of Harley and Mallory and ****, you even had a bunch declare TVD "ain't it" based on some garbage time throws.

Advertisement
Back