Tirek Austin-Cave up to 233

Coaches are not doing their jobs recruiting the right High School and portal kids if Ragone sees the field.

PWOs are incredibly important to the success of the program, and we've see some around college that have been critical to their teams' success (Baker Mayfield and Hunter Renfrow come to mind). But that's a 1 in 10,000 type case. And while it sounds like Ragone is a great guy and team mate, it's obvious he's not as athletically gifted as the scholarship athletes.

There was that one WR PWO last Spring game that caught my eye as maybe being good enough to see the field. But once Rambo took over and the three amigos came aboard, it was clear we had enough talent to not need to have to go to the PWO well.

Advertisement
I was actually hoping for more responses. Disappointed in the lack of outrage lol.

I hope some kids that have talent like Huff and Austin-Cave get a chance to shine.

Shaq’s dad made some outstanding comments that we don’t know how our LBers are on the roster because the scheme was awful with so many holes to fill.

I don't think there's a need for all this infighting when Spring practice hasn't even started.

We have a new coaching staff and 2 exceptional coaches for the LBs. Everyone gets a fresh start. We all just need to sit back and watch for who emerges.

After the Spring game, there can be plenty of debate about who should get playing time.

Coaches are not doing their jobs recruiting the right High School and portal kids if Ragone sees the field.

PWOs are incredibly important to the success of the program, and we've see some around college that have been critical to their teams' success (Baker Mayfield and Hunter Renfrow come to mind). But that's a 1 in 10,000 type case. And while it sounds like Ragone is a great guy and team mate, it's obvious he's not as athletically gifted as the scholarship athletes.

There was that one WR PWO last Spring game that caught my eye as maybe being good enough to see the field. But once Rambo took over and the three amigos came aboard, it was clear we had enough talent to not need to have to go to the PWO well.
Everyone has an opportunity to develop.

JJ Watt was a walk-on.

National Signing Day is Wednesday, but by no means does a recruit have to have four or five stars by his name to become a success. Heck, some guys can find success even if they don't sign at all.

Last edited:
Everyone has an opportunity to develop.

JJ Watt was a walk-on.

National Signing Day is Wednesday, but by no means does a recruit have to have four or five stars by his name to become a success. Heck, some guys can find success even if they don't sign at all.

I feel it's semantics. I acknowledge there are a handful of PWOs every year across the P5/G5 that perform well for their teams. But it's a handful. How many former PWOs are like JJ Watt? ... And Ragone reads plays well but is just as slow as Flagg and not as physically imposing. No matter how much muscle milk or elk antler the kid takes, I think his ceiling is someone like Cave's or Bissainthe's floor.

One of Manny's biggest failures was waiting too long to roll out the freaks because there were more prepared, field-ready kids that would minimize mistakes. But except in very specific situations (e.g., Bama Game 1) you gotta go with the kids that have more upside.

Advertisement
Do you think Ragone figures into the discussion as a starter??
1646009756781.gif

I feel it's semantics. I acknowledge there are a handful of PWOs every year across the P5/G5 that perform well for their teams. But it's a handful. How many former PWOs are like JJ Watt? ... And Ragone reads plays well but is just as slow as Flagg and not as physically imposing. No matter how much muscle milk or elk antler the kid takes, I think his ceiling is someone like Cave's or Bissainthe's floor.

One of Manny's biggest failures was waiting too long to roll out the freaks because there were more prepared, field-ready kids that would minimize mistakes. But except in very specific situations (e.g., Bama Game 1) you gotta go with the kids that have more upside.
I agree. I want the best talent and most athletic on the field. I'm just not into writing these young men off and determining what their floors and ceilings are.

Each player has an opportunity to develop. It's up to them in what they become . I had previously pointed out in my post that 5 of the top 7 LB prospects from the 2021 draft were 3-star or worse.

Bump. Any update on how hes looked in spring? Has everything athletically, plays violent, and had crazy production in highschool.

Advertisement
I don't think there's a need for all this infighting when Spring practice hasn't even started.

We have a new coaching staff and 2 exceptional coaches for the LBs. Everyone gets a fresh start. We all just need to sit back and watch for who emerges.

After the Spring game, there can be plenty of debate about who should get playing time.
1648479018793.png

I get it I just think Steed is a tier above the other guys listed. He spent a large majority of his time here hurt and last season was his first full season in which he got significant reps and he was playing well towards the end of the season. I wouldn’t write off being a solid player for this upcoming year.
... and potentially, unless we get portal help, (or someone else makes a significant leap), he may be our best option at MLB going into the season. He needs to continue to get reps.

Advertisement
I disagree. Flagg being forced to be the edge defender in space because Manny wanted to overuse his stupid stunts and blitzes that don't work should not be an indictment on Flagg.

He ain't the first or last backer that's slow. Good coaches know how to funnel the plays to a slow backer in tight spaces that allow him to play within his limits.

FLAGG is pretty **** good WITHIN THE TACKLE box and when he gets his hands on you. You're going down majority of the time.

Manny really screwed him with his cute gimmicky BS.

We all saw Ryan Ragone come in towards the latter part of the season and make way more plays then Flagg did in the same ****** Diaz scheme under the same ****** LB coaches. Even former UM players were talking about him on social media and he got a fraction of the playing time Flagg got. Sit yo *** down somewhere. Flagg is a JAG and we will never accomplish what we want with him as a starting LB … He is a liability plain and simple, I mean he isn’t the only one we can throw that label to a few more defenders ( Ivey)

I saw Flagg on skates on a few occasions last season. Like the OL pushing a sled out of the picture type ****. He also was like a day late to the ball too many times to count. Maybe Strong and Steele can get him in better situations. We can only hope that Diass corching castrated our LBs and the new crew can reattach.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back