Ticket prices vs A&M

Lowering prices will only increase attendance marginally, but will eventually decrease revenue, and cause resentment for those that paid the original price.

Look, I’m not a business genius, but these are basic business principles. I am surprised you guys just keep hammering on this. Business just doesn’t work this way.
Seems too high to me. I think you make more money with a bigger crowd. Parking, concessions, get people hooked to come back.

Advertisement
Wait til gameday or the day before to buy.
This is usually correct. My only words of caution about this strategy is when there's a dynamic of playing a team that travels well AND our fanbase hasn't been demoralized by losses yet.

Opposing fans buy into the stereotype about out attendance and usually wait to buy seats too. So if you have a large demand from TAMU now you might have to wait almost close to actual kickoff to see prices decline. I seem to remember this happening for the last Notre Dame game.

Seems too high to me. I think you make more money with a bigger crowd. Parking, concessions, get people hooked to come back.

Sure the prices must seem high. I can’t even tell you if my tickets went up or not, I just pay it - but that’s not really the issue. The idea is to have a sound pricing strategy that balances supply and demand to maximize revenue. Right now unfortunately the demand isn’t very high because the excitement level isn’t very high. Lowering the price on a product people don’t want isn’t a sound strategy. It’s not going to make them want it more. There’s only one solution: win consistently.

This is usually correct. My only words of caution about this strategy is when there's a dynamic of playing a team that travels well AND our fanbase hasn't been demoralized by losses yet.

Opposing fans buy into the stereotype about out attendance and usually wait to buy seats too. So if you have a large demand from TAMU now you might have to wait almost close to actual kickoff to see prices decline. I seem to remember this happening for the last Notre Dame game.

You’re right, but you should see the amount of tickets that are available for ATM. I’m just hoping that the excitement builds throughout the week.

This is just the lower bowl 50 yard line area, about between the 35 and the 35. It’s pretty pathetic.

IMG_3736.jpeg

look at all those available seats

Advertisement

I book everything but game tix when I fly in. StubHub has been my go-to.

Sure the prices must seem high. I can’t even tell you if my tickets went up or not, I just pay it - but that’s not really the issue. The idea is to have a sound pricing strategy that balances supply and demand to maximize revenue. Right now unfortunately the demand isn’t very high because the excitement level isn’t very high. Lowering the price on a product people don’t want isn’t a sound strategy. It’s not going to make them want it more. There’s only one solution: win consistently.
I agree. Can you just imagine being a season ticket holder (I am) that purchased season tickets and saw the Athletic Department lower the ticket price since they weren’t sold out. I would never renew again. Best place to get cheaper tickets is probably second party suppliers and closer to the game.

I agree. Can you just imagine being a season ticket holder (I am) that purchased season tickets and saw the Athletic Department lower the ticket price since they weren’t sold out. I would never renew again. Best place to get cheaper tickets is probably second party suppliers and closer to the game.

I was going to mention that, but I just hate leaving these long posts. I’m not trying to have arguments with people, but you know it’s just sound business principles. You’re going to alienate your main customers to sell a few extra tickets?

Is there a Facebook group for parents and Alums that forbids selling for above the ticket price?

Advertisement
The only semi-positive thing I’ll say about Blake James, is that he was generally too lazy to raise ticket prices
These are SECONDARY ticket prices for the most part. People are selling their seats, trying to collect on the assumption that TAMU will travel and it is by far the most attractive game on the schedule. Any time the big game on the schedule comes up, people are willing to move their tickets, in order to pay for their overall package. I've done that before. I have 4 club level seats, and friends that always have extras, so I sell my tickets, sit with my friends for the big game and in a lot of cases, the money I made paid for the entire season.

Dynamic ticket pricing makes a ton of sense, the school KNOWS that people are going to buy these seats and they don't want to sell them for cheap, knowing that a lot of people would put them right back on the secondary market, so they adjust to where the secondary market is.

Last edited:
Advertisement
These are SECONDARY ticket prices for the most part. People are selling their seats, trying to collect on the assumption that TAMU will travel and it is by far the most attractive game on the schedule. Any time the big game on the schedule comes up, people are willing to move their tickets, in order to pay for their overall package. I've done that before. I have 4 club level seats, and friends that always have extras, so I sell my tickets, sit with my friends for the big game and in a lot of cases, the money I made paid for the entire season.

Dynamic ticket pricing makes a ton of sense, the school KNOWS that people are going to buy these seats and they don't want to sell them for cheap, knowing that a lot of people would put them right back on the secondary market, so they adjust to where the secondary market is.
So you think on the UM website it is dynamic pricing? I looked before season started on their website for each game and wrote down the price for Club level in our area and it is still the same price on the UM site. We have some games we can’t go to so I wanted to see what they were selling individual tickets for since why would someone go to a second party and pay more if they could get them through UM?
not trying to argue Just wondering.

Advertisement
You’re right, but you should see the amount of tickets that are available for ATM. I’m just hoping that the excitement builds throughout the week.

This is just the lower bowl 50 yard line area, about between the 35 and the 35. It’s pretty pathetic.

View attachment 254657

look at all those available seats
Wow this is wild compared to what shows on StubHub. I guess I need to stop using StubHub as a gauge

I’m with you. It’s every industry. Usually if you get to that point of a price so low that you do actually attract more people it devalues the brand so much that you hurt the long term for the short term

But to your other point you start winning some big games and it doesn’t matter so there is a fix here that doesn’t require supply and demand gymnastics

Advertisement
Back