The real problem with OL recruiting in 2020

I agree with this. OL and DL it's partially a numbers game. The way we recruit you dont have any room for error. The guy we sign has to be a hit or we're screwed. I don't understand why we don't over recruit the lines at least for the short term even if it means being a little short at a skill spot. The likelihood of a freshman being able to contribute at a skill spot is more likely than a freshman contributing in the trenches.

Yep. Look at the LSUs/Bamas/OSUs of the world - they sign 4-5 guys at OL AND DL positions each year. What has killed us was our 2016/2017/2018 OL recruiting. In all those classes, we should have probably signed 10-13 guys. Instead, we have 3 starters (Donaldson, Gaynor, Scaife), 3 guys that can't sniff the field (Dykstra, Hillery, Herbert), 2 transfers (Reed, Tre Johnson), and one TBD (Campbell). You can't win like that. The sad part is that we had the momentum from on field play to have really good 2017/2018 classes but Richt and co really fell asleep at the wheel. Sad!

This off season we need to sign 2-3 JUCO/Portal guys that will come here to compete for starting positions.

Advertisement
I agree with this. OL and DL it's partially a numbers game. The way we recruit you dont have any room for error. The guy we sign has to be a hit or we're screwed. I don't understand why we don't over recruit the lines at least for the short term even if it means being a little short at a skill spot. The likelihood of a freshman being able to contribute at a skill spot is more likely than a freshman contributing in the trenches.
We should persistently over-recruit the lines. It’s the way you get good lines and you need good lines to win

Out of the 85, here’s a reasonable mix:

DB: 16
LB: 9
DL: 16
OL: 17
TE: 5
WR: 10
RB: 6
QB: 4
P/K: 2

OL should generally redshirt, and I’d take 4 a class on average, so that means 13 non-RS OL, which isn’t a ton, it’s a 2 deep and a few RS frosh.

DL should redshirt too in most cases. The best will not stay 5 years how, ever, so I’d expect we take at least 5 in any given cycle. So you’d have 12 available to play, assuming 1 of the 5 doesn’t shirt. That’s enough.

DBs and LBs should be all over ST.

Last edited:
We should persistently over-recruit the lines. It’s the way you get good lines and you need good lines to win

OL should generally redshirt, and I’d take 4 a class on average, so that means 13 non-RS OL, which isn’t a ton, it’s a 2 deep and a few RS frosh.

DL should redshirt too in most cases. The best will not stay 5 years how, ever, so I’d expect we take at least 5 in any given cycle. So you’d have 12 available to play, assuming 1 of the 5 doesn’t shirt. That’s enough.

I agree with the sentiment of this post.

Miami has a problem first, and foremost, with numbers. Talent comes next...but that can - in theory - be developed, but only properly developed with numbers to allow you the time to do so.

What is going on with Zion Nelson right now, is not good for his future prospects.

This program really overthinks local prospects, too. You'll have the entire top of the SEC...teams like Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, et al come down here and pluck guys from the tri-county area...yet...Miami has a long history of not even offering these players. Not just on the lines, but all over. Can not imagine the mental gymnastics that are needed to be performed by a staff that thinks their 7-5 evaluations are better than Oklahoma or LSU...but here we are.

Check out LSU/Bama/UGA/OSU recruiting at OL/DL on an annual basis. Those are the numbers we should strive for. They sign on average 3-5 per year on both lines. And they sign grown men, too. Not 230 pound projects.

Theres not a single starter on the LSU line from south Florida or Florida overall. 2 guys from Mississippi, 2 from Louisiana and 1 from Texas. Also, everyone on their line is at least a junior and 3 of them are seniors.

Advertisement
Theres not a single starter on the LSU line from south Florida or Florida overall. 2 guys from Mississippi, 2 from Louisiana and 1 from Texas. Also, everyone on their line is at least a junior and 3 of them are seniors.

First, they aren’t in Florida. Second, they are recruiting here now when they could recruit anywhere. They’ll sign at least two guys here.

Clemson just took a guy (Boateng) that an amateur like me identified two years ago and Miami didn’t recruit. They have Tate committed for next year.

First, they aren’t in Florida. Second, they are recruiting here now when they could recruit anywhere. They’ll sign at least two guys here.

Clemson just took a guy (Boateng) that an amateur like me identified two years ago and Miami didn’t recruit. They have Tate committed for next year.
You mentioned their line crushing Florida and that they recruit south Florida but no one in that line is from Florida. Im guessing you meant that because that line is good then their coaches can evaluate talent but that line is also one of the most experienced in the country which has proven to be a big factor at that position.

You mentioned their line crushing Florida and that they recruit south Florida but no one in that line is from Florida. Im guessing you meant that because that line is good then their coaches can evaluate talent but that line is also one of the most experienced in the country which has proven to be a big factor at that position.

LSU is at the top of the line for OL. They can recruit anywhere and they know what to look for.

The fact that they are taking more kids from South Florida than we are this year is alarming.

Advertisement
We just watched LSU’s OL dominate Florida. They are coming down here to pluck two South Florida OL. The Gators, who have one of the best OL coaches in the country, grabbed another.

We have none. Forget going to Iowa to get Pipho and Dykstra. We need to get the best on our home turf first and expand out from there.

You just watched Louisiana State University's offensive line dominate the University of Florida, and your takeaway from that was that we don't have enough offensive linemen from Florida?

OK.

The territory we get our OL from is irrelevant when we run a system that doesn’t help their cause and when we have a coach who can’t develop them. In addition, when we do prioritize South Florida talent then this staff can’t close. We just got beat by Mullen for Walker. Another indictment on Díaz, Enos and Barry.

You just watched Louisiana State University's offensive line dominate the University of Florida, and your takeaway from that was that we don't have enough offensive linemen from Florida?

No. Here's the takeaway: LSU is recruiting the '20 South Florida OL class harder than we are. They are good. We are not. They aren't local. We are. That's a problem.

We didn't offer guys like Marlon Martinez and Kaleb Boateng. LSU and Clemson poached them. Is our staff that much better as evaluators? Or is it the opposite?

This thread is disturbing in that it zaps hope of ever competing with the top 10 teams. Hard to do w/o a decent OL.

I only see one way out.

We dont seem to do very well when bags are involved.

We are never going to pay for an OL guru.

Win, seems to be the answer.

Win 10+ and they will come.

Problem is, winning w/o an OL is a monumental task.

Advertisement
Butch Barry should be fired based on the current state of Navaughn Donaldson's play alone.

We've had a string of o-line corches going all the way back to (and including) Kehoe under Alfredo.

This is a recruiting thread so there are obvious issues there but it's a chicken/egg type deal when you can't develop these kids to be successful on the college level.

And one may even point at the relatively recent linemen we've had go on to NFL success and try to blame that on the OC and offensive scheme but then you'd have to apply that pass to every position corch we've had too and all of their kids that are on NFL rosters- something I'm not willing to do.

Manny should streamline the defensive staff next year by not paying a DC and use that money to find a freaking competent o-line coach. Overpay by a lot it you have to.

I agree with the sentiment of this post.

Miami has a problem first, and foremost, with numbers. Talent comes next...but that can - in theory - be developed, but only properly developed with numbers to allow you the time to do so.

What is going on with Zion Nelson right now, is not good for his future prospects.

This program really overthinks local prospects, too. You'll have the entire top of the SEC...teams like Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, et al come down here and pluck guys from the tri-county area...yet...Miami has a long history of not even offering these players. Not just on the lines, but all over. Can not imagine the mental gymnastics that are needed to be performed by a staff that thinks their 7-5 evaluations are better than Oklahoma or LSU...but here we are.
Smartest guys in the room syndrome and Manny has that in spades.

Advertisement
We need to go steal Ledford from Louisville too.

That guy really pumped life into that OL

EGvPmkPW4AIfznO

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Is the only answer

No. Here's the takeaway: LSU is recruiting the '20 South Florida OL class harder than we are. They are good. We are not. They aren't local. We are. That's a problem.

We didn't offer guys like Marlon Martinez and Kaleb Boateng. LSU and Clemson poached them. Is our staff that much better as evaluators? Or is it the opposite?

I don't know anything about Barry, but Kehoe and Richt's boy (whose name I don't even remember) were dog ****.

Jeff Stoutland was the best OL coach I've ever seen at Miami and the lines he produced showed it. I believe some of the kids he recruited were from Florida as well - Jon Feliciano for one. But they weren't always the most highly recruited, the man just knew offensive lines. Those lines were good enough to win championships with.

Then our cheap-*** administration let him go to Alabama. We replaced him with retread Art Kehoe (who NEVER was that good even in his best years), and we've been trash ever since.

So yeah, coaching and evaluation matters. Especially at that position.

Do you have proof of that?

I don't get this....we get all these posters on here who assert specific knowledge of recruiting violations, and possibly even criminal violations (tax fraud, conspiracy, wire fraud?) and the world is filled with would-be journalists who don't need access to mainstream media to get published yet still could reach many many readers through alternative outlets (e.g., Yahoo, etc.). Why isn't this exposed? If you have information, there must be journalists who will write about it and there would be widespread exposure. This could put pressure on the NCAA and federal law enforcement. If there were crimes when those actresses paid to get their kids into colleges, there are probably crimes committed when these kids and their families are bribed by supporters of the schools with connivance of the school officials and/or employees.

So many people come on here claiming this and alleging that but all they do is whine on here but they never do anything to get it exposed. Maybe they don't know how. Maybe they are afraid of retribution.

There are ways to get it exposed.....I think. Or maybe we're playing the game but we don't have the resources to bid at the highest level. And if we blow the whistle, we'll get caught.

Or maybe there really aren't bags at all.

Everyone knows this , national media guys talk about it in the open. Even the ncaa knows it’s out of control.

It’s like a drug test in the nfl , don’t be stupid and they’ll turn the other cheek. Translation don’t be stupid with how you do business , make payments.

Advertisement
Back