The real problem with OL recruiting in 2020

Advertisement
That's all well and good, D$, and I agree, BUT .... both those OL took bags to sign with LSU. One was a cash deal, and one involved a job for a relative.

How are you supposed to recruit against that??
Do you have proof of that?

I don't get this....we get all these posters on here who assert specific knowledge of recruiting violations, and possibly even criminal violations (tax fraud, conspiracy, wire fraud?) and the world is filled with would-be journalists who don't need access to mainstream media to get published yet still could reach many many readers through alternative outlets (e.g., Yahoo, etc.). Why isn't this exposed? If you have information, there must be journalists who will write about it and there would be widespread exposure. This could put pressure on the NCAA and federal law enforcement. If there were crimes when those actresses paid to get their kids into colleges, there are probably crimes committed when these kids and their families are bribed by supporters of the schools with connivance of the school officials and/or employees.

So many people come on here claiming this and alleging that but all they do is whine on here but they never do anything to get it exposed. Maybe they don't know how. Maybe they are afraid of retribution.

There are ways to get it exposed.....I think. Or maybe we're playing the game but we don't have the resources to bid at the highest level. And if we blow the whistle, we'll get caught.

Or maybe there really aren't bags at all.

The whole Oline returns next year. Unfortunately thats not a good thing and i really dont expect any improvement - maybe Zion is a bit better after an offseason of S&C & coaching but still far from great, the rest are what they are. Nablob Donaldson (stole that name from someone else lulz) is officially a huge bust.

Gonna have to get lucky in the Portal. So far, recent OL transfers (Kennedy, Brown) have been massive busts. Need to pray 1-2 decent grad transfers fall into our lap or not sure 2020 is much better on O

Cant imagine any of our 2020 croots are instant impact, unless someone wants to correct me
I expect significant improvement. But I might be overly-optimistic.

We just watched LSU’s OL dominate Florida. They are coming down here to pluck two South Florida OL. The Gators, who have one of the best OL coaches in the country, grabbed another.

We have none. Forget going to Iowa to get Pipho and Dykstra. We need to get the best on our home turf first and expand out from there.
I agree to an extent. We need to be here closely evaluating Florida kids. However, casting a very wide net is essential. Once you get your model OL recruit, go wide and far, go early and commit numbers. The best OL's in the country, Bama, GA, LSU, Ohio State still grab roughly 4.5 OL a year. We should take five a year until we establish a top product, we can. The two kids LSU could kid from STA, one is a top OL recruit the other frankly, is a "Slap ****". They don't care because they're taking a 3 yr. starter. We've taken 5 very High stars, Donaldson, Scaife, Reed, Herbet, John Campbell (Orlando MVP) from Fla. three of which went to The Opening Finals in Oregon and two of which were in the top 7 of all OL there. Both of these top 7 kids are not living up to their potential. Development by OUR STAFF is MOST IMPORTANT.

We just watched LSU’s OL dominate Florida. They are coming down here to pluck two South Florida OL. The Gators, who have one of the best OL coaches in the country, grabbed another.

We have none. Forget going to Iowa to get Pipho and Dykstra. We need to get the best on our home turf first and expand out from there.
Same story rehashed.....we cant recruit let alone close this has been happening for 15 years and will keep happening. Who tf wants to come here when u can get paid....and our staff cant recruit so there is that plus bags.

Advertisement

DMoney it's not that simple. When we get the blue-chippers like Donaldson who was a can't miss prospect we can't develop them. If Zion wasn't so bad you would be shocked at Donaldson at 340lb. being shoved 5 yards behind the LOS into the QB's lap every game.

Take out your feelings and loyalty to school, would you send your child to the gables if you want to get them to the league? I don't to hear we have 5 guys playing. outside of flowers and b linder the others came in way below Donaldson looks horrible from last year. He came in an played at all-American level. He should be playing to get at minimum all-acc, highly doubt it though. Florida with a bunch of two stars looked **** good against LSU and perhaps Auburn, didn't watch game. It just amazes me how we continue to bring in these not so smart coaches. Play to your players strengths, not what you want them to be.

Unfortunately, based on the guys on our roster, unless 2-3 of them take major leaps in development, this is going to be a weak position for at least a few more years.

have you seen Donaldson this year? We not developing anyone. kid should be at all-acc level this year. Looks horrible verses last two years.

Advertisement
OL is just one thing @D$

The fence has been completely opened, and the players are for business.

We have given home players 0 incentives to come here. So if they are elite, kiss them goodbye. Furthermore, the kids we have gotten that were elite, have been grossly misused. Recall the class of 2012 were allegedly telling kids visiting not to come to Miami on their recruiting visits (per some CIS insiders).

Our OL is a mess b/c of poor coaching and poor evaluations. I took dumb heat from a lot here when I said Dykstra was a **** poor player as an OLman prospect b/c of his short arms, size, and techniques.....but b/c he was from the Midwest, he was going to be coached up. Bull Chit.

We’ve done less w more, and have supplemented our roster w players that our reaches. That’s y So Fla kids who are blue chips are not coming here.

It seems like the transfer portal is bare too. What happens to all those Tackles Bama just stockpiles?

The problem is when we go out of state we recruit the leftovers.

Pipho was a 3-star recruit and was listed as the number 40 OT in the country according to 247sports. Dykstra was also a 3-star recruit and rated at the number 69 OT in the country. If we are having to settle for guys like this then they should be from Florida. Look at Alabama, when they settle, they choose guys from Alabama. I will deal with an occasional Reggie Youngblood if we are offering guys with his type of rating.

I know a lot of the guys Miami recruits out of Georgia don't even have offers from Georgia. Jakai Clark who starts as a freshman didn't get offered by UGA. Not only has Miami missed on the local talent, but we also haven't developed what we got (Donaldson), and we are offering leftovers from other states.

Seems like I've been screaming this for 15+ years. For the love of God why is it so hard for coaches at Miami to understand that if you're going to take a reach, let it be a local kid that while talented, may be a bit too short or a bit too light. If a kid is succeeding in south florida, then there's a good chance relatively speaking that the kid will at least be able to provide you something from his time here. It may be as a senior. It may be on special teams. **** it may just be locally AFTER he graduates and continues to live in the community. But ignoring those guys and recruiting reaches from another **** state is about the dumbest **** thing you can do as a coach at UM. Just frustrating as ****.

OL is just one thing @D$

The fence has been completely opened, and the players are for business.

We have given home players 0 incentives to come here. So if they are elite, kiss them goodbye. Furthermore, the kids we have gotten that were elite, have been grossly misused. Recall the class of 2012 were allegedly telling kids visiting not to come to Miami on their recruiting visits (per some CIS insiders).

Our OL is a mess b/c of poor coaching and poor evaluations. I took dumb heat from a lot here when I said Dykstra was a **** poor player as an OLman prospect b/c of his short arms, size, and techniques.....but b/c he was from the Midwest, he was going to be coached up. Bull Chit.

We’ve done less w more, and have supplemented our roster w players that our reaches. That’s y So Fla kids who are blue chips are not coming here.

How bad was that 2017 OL class? Donaldson has regressed big time. Herbert, Dykstra and Hillery are almost 3 years in and can't sniff the field. We badly messed up our OL situation with our 2017/2018 classes. Those were classes where we were striking while the iron was hot with our play - latter half of 2016 was really good and we were definitely on the upswing and 2017 was a great year. We managed to get some real duds when in reality, we should have used our momentum to sign 4-5 guys PER CLASS. Instead, we're lucky to get 1-2 per year that is a decent contributor. That's a huge swing and a miss.

Advertisement
They aren’t in Florida. But they are coming to South Florida to get two OL when they can go anywhere.
Bama also grabbed a DT from Jersey last year when they could have went anywhere. I think we should wait and see if they are actually good before we crown the So Fla OL.

they need to recruit nationally at OL. Anyone above 4 stars should have a um offer as soon as we are elgible to do so. They need atleast 1 Juco guy or Grad transfer guy that can actually play. They literallly got that in Boulware last year and he high tailed it out of here. They should of re recruitd him to stay..because stevie wonder couldve seen the sh*t show we had coming down the pike. I dont even think Mahoney starts at BC either...but he would of played a good bit for us this year.

Advertisement
Look back at our 2000-01 OLine. Bibla a PA kid, Romberg Canada, Mount McKinnie a Jersey kid, Joaquin basically a PWO, Sherko a Canadian. Just saying that you need to cast a wide net. Also need to develop these big guys. I don’t like this idea of having a “type” like Barry reportedly has with tall skinny guys. That’s a sure way to overlook guys because of your own bias which is stupid. Cast a wide net and find the hogs without thinking you’re smarter than everyone else.
Not sure where we went wrong but our O Lines were always something UM took pride in.

they need to recruit nationally at OL. Anyone above 4 stars should have a um offer as soon as we are elgible to do so. They need atleast 1 Juco guy or Grad transfer guy that can actually play. They literallly got that in Boulware last year and he high tailed it out of here. They should of re recruitd him to stay..because stevie wonder couldve seen the sh*t show we had coming down the pike. I dont even think Mahoney starts at BC either...but he would of played a good bit for us this year.

bouleware was a good pickup too.

Don’t think we even recruited the lesser OL guy from STA going to LSU... guess he isn’t good enough for us.

Advertisement
Back