The real problem with OL recruiting in 2020

Advertisement
There have to be plenty of quality lineman that would come to Miami. Not 5 star at this point. But guys who can pretty quickly develop into quality lineman.

Can’t pay up front, OL play is terrible, and don’t get guys developed and drafted in the top 2-3 rounds. Why would someone come here? We need to be smarter and realistic, and get those next level guys coached up, win 10 games consistently, and show proof that we are established again.

This is just an excuse D. We need to do a better job developing the talent on our team. Just before the season you were boasting about the 4 star talent on our team at O-line.

Our coaches need to do a better job teaching these boys period. You don’t need the strongest or most athletic kids to field a formidable unit.

No doubt, and it applies to both Barry and Enos. But since this is the recruiting board I wanted to address this issue.

Oregon is another team with an elite OL that is shopping down here.

Develop and Coach! It isn’t always about getting 5 and 4 star OL. Heck, we’ve gotten top level OL and they have sucked!

Players need to work hard, learn, get stronger and give it 150%! Coaches need to be held to higher standards.

Advertisement
No doubt, and it applies to both Barry and Enos. But since this is the recruiting board I wanted to address this issue.

Personally i think we’d be ok with Chris Washington, Jalen Rivers and another athletic OT for this class. Maybe a Juco but idk if he’ll play.

The whole Oline returns next year. Unfortunately thats not a good thing and i really dont expect any improvement - maybe Zion is a bit better after an offseason of S&C & coaching but still far from great, the rest are what they are. Nablob Donaldson (stole that name from someone else lulz) is officially a huge bust.

Gonna have to get lucky in the Portal. So far, recent OL transfers (Kennedy, Brown) have been massive busts. Need to pray 1-2 decent grad transfers fall into our lap or not sure 2020 is much better on O

Cant imagine any of our 2020 croots are instant impact, unless someone wants to correct me

Advertisement
Our local near 5* Donaldson is as fat and technically unsound as an upper class man can possibly get.

There's no doubt Walker was favoring UM over UF before the season, but these kids aren't blind. Butch Barry is losing any good will he once had by trotting out the worst offensive line in the nation every week.

Our local near 5* Donaldson is as fat and technically unsound as an upper class man can possibly get.

There's no doubt Walker was favoring UM over UF before the season, but these kids aren't blind. Butch Barry is losing any good will he once had by trotting out the worst offensive line in the nation every week.
Exactly,local kids are watching Donaldson and Scaife,2 of the top OL the area has produced recently and they are part of the worse OL in college football.kids want no part of that.

Advertisement
We just watched LSU’s OL dominate Florida. They are coming down here to pluck two South Florida OL. The Gators, who have one of the best OL coaches in the country, grabbed another.

We have none. Forget going to Iowa to get Pipho and Dykstra. We need to get the best on our home turf first and expand out from there.

The problem is when we go out of state we recruit the leftovers.

Pipho was a 3-star recruit and was listed as the number 40 OT in the country according to 247sports. Dykstra was also a 3-star recruit and rated at the number 69 OT in the country. If we are having to settle for guys like this then they should be from Florida. Look at Alabama, when they settle, they choose guys from Alabama. I will deal with an occasional Reggie Youngblood if we are offering guys with his type of rating.

I know a lot of the guys Miami recruits out of Georgia don't even have offers from Georgia. Jakai Clark who starts as a freshman didn't get offered by UGA. Not only has Miami missed on the local talent, but we also haven't developed what we got (Donaldson), and we are offering leftovers from other states.

The problem is when we go out of state we recruit the leftovers.

Pipho was a 3-star recruit and was listed as the number 40 OT in the country according to 247sports. Dykstra was also a 3-star recruit and rated at the number 69 OT in the country. If we are having to settle for guys like this then they should be from Florida. Look at Alabama, when they settle, they choose guys from Alabama. I will deal with an occasional Reggie Youngblood if we are offering guys with his type of rating.

I know a lot of the guys Miami recruits out of Georgia don't even have offers from Georgia. Jakai Clark who starts as a freshman didn't get offered by UGA. Not only has Miami missed on the local talent, but we also haven't developed what we got (Donaldson), and we are offering leftovers from other states.

Yep. That’s one reason why its important to succeed at home. It’s hard competing in enemy territory.

Advertisement

Cristobal is recruiting a monster OL also. We need emphasis on OL development. which must include redshirting Freshman. we need to get to the point when redshirt Jr and Sr comprise our starting OL

We just watched LSU’s OL dominate Florida. They are coming down here to pluck two South Florida OL. The Gators, who have one of the best OL coaches in the country, grabbed another.

We have none. Forget going to Iowa to get Pipho and Dykstra. We need to get the best on our home turf first and expand out from there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but none of their starting OL are from Florida.

There have to be plenty of quality lineman that would Pcome to Miami. Not 5 star at this point. But guys who can pretty quickly develop into quality lineman.
Probably recruiting the wrong people from out-of-state. Our 2001 line, supposedly the best in our history, was mostly out-of-state. (Personally, although I acknowledge that it was a very good line, I still think, except for McKinney, it was a bit overrated.)

If we can't compete with bags, than we should try to expose it, meaning our athletic department, should start kicking up a public fuss to draw attention to what other schools are doing. I guess in the football community it's considered bad form to turn in your competitors, to blow the whistle.

Also, how many true freshmen is LSU starting on the OL?

Advertisement
Back