The real problem with OL recruiting in 2020

Advertisement
Yall get too caught up in where the players are from. I ask two questions: Can he play? Does he fit your scheme?
Do you think we can evaluate project reaches from far flung states as well as local kids where we can watch them live, spend time with them, know their failies better, their teammates in many cases, their coaches....

Do you think we can evaluate project reaches from far flung states as well as local kids where we can watch them live, spend time with them, know their failies better, their teammates in many cases, their coaches....

bro that doesnt mean as much these days. With internet and flights its about the same. We have kids that come to campus 2 nights a week and hang with our players who they have known since pee wee football and go elsewhere. We have kids that say their whole family is canes fans and go elsewhere. If we dont have coaches on staff that can go across the country with our national brand and get players we need a new staff.

Advertisement
I agree to an extent. We need to be here closely evaluating Florida kids. However, casting a very wide net is essential. Once you get your model OL recruit, go wide and far, go early and commit numbers. The best OL's in the country, Bama, GA, LSU, Ohio State still grab roughly 4.5 OL a year. We should take five a year until we establish a top product, we can. The two kids LSU could kid from STA, one is a top OL recruit the other frankly, is a "Slap ****". They don't care because they're taking a 3 yr. starter. We've taken 5 very High stars, Donaldson, Scaife, Reed, Herbet, John Campbell (Orlando MVP) from Fla. three of which went to The Opening Finals in Oregon and two of which were in the top 7 of all OL there. Both of these top 7 kids are not living up to their potential. Development by OUR STAFF is MOST IMPORTANT.

part of the problem i think is we throwing these kids out there too early and they developing bad habits. Zion gone always be looked at as terrible unless he turns into an all american when in reality he should be redshirting.

bro that doesnt mean as much these days. With internet and flights its about the same. We have kids that come to campus 2 nights a week and hang with our players who they have known since pee wee football and go elsewhere. We have kids that say their whole family is canes fans and go elsewhere. If we dont have coaches on staff that can go across the country with our national brand and get players we need a new staff.
My comment was about EVALUATIONS. You sound upset over kids who go elsewhere. I am pointing out our reach OL projects from OOS are not a reliable solution to the challenge. Particularly if we can find talented local kids who want to come.

My comment was about EVALUATIONS. You sound upset over kids who go elsewhere. I am pointing out our reach OL projects from OOS are not a reliable solution to the challenge. Particularly if we can find talented local kids who want to come.
Bro its 2020 coaches evaluate players all over the country. that's not an excuse.

Advertisement
The real trouble with offensive line recruiting is YOU HAVE TO THROW NUMBERS AT THE POSITION...We have only 3 committed and are probably sitting there thinking we have an outside chance of Walker. He will show up on campus once or twice in November and december randomly to chill with some guys he knows on the team...And every Ivins and Adams update will say "the staff feels confident they can flip"

After the Reed transfer, we need 5 maybe 6 here. There should be way more names than we are hearing.

The real trouble with offensive line recruiting is YOU HAVE TO THROW NUMBERS AT THE POSITION...We have only 3 committed and are probably sitting there thinking we have an outside chance of Walker. He will show up on campus once or twice in November and december randomly to chill with some guys he knows on the team...And every Ivins and Adams update will say "the staff feels confident they can flip"

After the Reed transfer, we need 5 maybe 6 here. There should be way more names than we are hearing.

I agree with this. OL and DL it's partially a numbers game. The way we recruit you dont have any room for error. The guy we sign has to be a hit or we're screwed. I don't understand why we don't over recruit the lines at least for the short term even if it means being a little short at a skill spot. The likelihood of a freshman being able to contribute at a skill spot is more likely than a freshman contributing in the trenches.

I agree with this. OL and DL it's partially a numbers game. The way we recruit you dont have any room for error. The guy we sign has to be a hit or we're screwed. I don't understand why we don't over recruit the lines at least for the short term even if it means being a little short at a skill spot. The likelihood of a freshman being able to contribute at a skill spot is more likely than a freshman contributing in the trenches.

They need to flood it...Prep, portal, juco. All of the above. 5-6 as of now...And if more defections, add that number to the top.

Advertisement
They need to flood it...Prep, portal, juco. All of the above. 5-6 as of now...And if more defections, add that number to the top.

Yep. Go after as many as possible and promote competition. Floridians like:

-Michael Rankins
-Miller Merriweather-Lewis
-Kris Love
-Marlon Martinez
-Lloyd Willis
-Cayden Baker

Would Moise be a great guard as well? Since we apparently have Elijah and are keeping Riggins we already have enough DTs for this class.

Bro its 2020 coaches evaluate players all over the country. that's not an excuse.
Sorry, but that is not a compelling response. You can TRY to evaluate kids from all over. You can convince yourself you’re evaluating them all equally well. But you’re not sensible if you believe that. We do not have the same amount or quality of information on all kids. That is just a fact. So we cannot and do not have the same eval opportunities for all kids. If you cannot grasp that, I don’t know what to tell you. If you think ‘evals’ are just reading web sites and watching rivals highlights, then I guess that would explain your comment. It might also explain our crappy recruiting, but sadly I suspect our staffs do a lot more than that, and still aren’t particularly good at it.

Its a sad thought to know that posters on this forum have dug deeper to find potential line prospects (and adequately identified worthy prospects) than I feel the staff has ever done across several staffs.

We've long misevaluated the process and now it seems we are scrambling to find answers to plug holes. We have a massive offensive line problem currently and in the foreseeable future.

Advertisement

I was saying the same thing last summer, before the **** show of the fall, and before reed left. We have underrecruited OL for years.

We just watched LSU’s OL dominate Florida. They are coming down here to pluck two South Florida OL. The Gators, who have one of the best OL coaches in the country, grabbed another.

We have none. Forget going to Iowa to get Pipho and Dykstra. We need to get the best on our home turf first and expand out from there.
Don't you think the staff has given everything they got to keep Neal,Walker and Etc home. Miami is known for poor O-Line play where we rarely have O-Lineman get drafted early. The top O-Lineman down here can go wherever they want and get developed by far O-Line coaches and go to winning programs. Why would they come here? We need to start winning and show the local O-Lineman they can be developed at Miami. Big Baby Seymore is someone we cannot lose to the SEC. He's actually a die hard cans fans and will be the best O-Lineman recruit we have had in a long time. He needs to be a top priority for 2021

Yep. Look at the LSUs/Bamas/OSUs of the world - they sign 4-5 guys at OL AND DL positions each year. What has killed us was our 2016/2017/2018 OL recruiting. In all those classes, we should have probably signed 10-13 guys. Instead, we have 3 starters (Donaldson, Gaynor, Scaife), 3 guys that can't sniff the field (Dykstra, Hillery, Herbert), 2 transfers (Reed, Tre Johnson), and one TBD (Campbell). You can't win like that. The sad part is that we had the momentum from on field play to have really good 2017/2018 classes but Richt and co really fell asleep at the wheel. Sad!

This off season we need to sign 2-3 JUCO/Portal guys that will come here to compete for starting positions.

Advertisement
Back