The downside of Perry

You question how much his play can improve? Really. So, a redshirt freshman whose played in 3 games (passes in only 2) has reached his ceiling? That's just laughable. I guess you say the same thing about NFL rookie QBs. C'mon man!!!! Every freshman QB improves whether it's high school, college, or the NFL. Like Richt said, there isn't much more to learn from practice. Live games are what's needed. Now the Richts' can coach him up. Perry will get better each week. Imagine Perry's improvement by the end of the season or next year. Oh, I guess you can't since he's reached his ceiling.
Really? So We need to make not to throwing into blatant double coverage as a teaching point? Something you learn in middle school? His high school coaches were so ****** that he regressed?

Stick to your ****** videos. Oh, and whoever said he reached his ceiling?

Advertisement
My gosh, the guy makes a valid post and says what for us to look for when it comes to Perry’s cons and this is y’alls first thought? Clowns.
Bruh ain’t even started a game yet and my man went out of his way to make a thread to to highlight his negative traits after what was by all accounts a very successful performance. That seems pretty lame to me personally, that’s all.

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

I saw the exact same thing along with the other misreads and forced throws that get picked against better competition. I started to make a thread stating my biggest fear is Perry has been set up for failure due to lack of game experience. I decided against posting it because I knew it would be received by most the way your post has been. I don’t want to see Rosier back on the field so hopefully MR will be as patient with Perry as he was with Rosier... well until next year when it should be an all out battle for the starting spot.

The bad about N'kosi could have been a sentence instead of a thread. He is a freshman, no ****.

Every freshman QB, no matter how talented, will have a bad game or two. Perry just needs experience. Being young and green he's going to make mistakes. The difference between Rosier and him though is Perry can and will make the routine plays to keep the offense on track.

I thought Richt called it perfectly for Nkosi when he first got in the game. There were a lot of short easy throws that built his confidence. In my opinion that's the offense we should run. Get the ball out fast into the hands of the playmakers that are all over the roster. Then when defense start cheating up hit the long ones.

I think our time of possession will be much longer with Nkosi. With Rosier it was all or nothing. Against FIU Perry showed he can keep the O on the field. Not only does that tend to lead to points but it keeps the beasts on the D line fresh

Overall I expect plenty of good things to come but there will be more than a few head scratching decisions. It's just has to be expected with a freshman QB.

Nothing but facts bro! Moat accurate post on this thread. Perry has lead some nice drives Malik was way to inconsistent you could tell a difference in Perry from the Savannah State game to the FIU game. Of course he's going to make a mistake every now an then he's a freshman! I like his pocket awareness an that he doesnt run first its very hard for a corner to cover a reciever for a long time an he has a arm and can run! Op says he eventually got in rythem he started 10 for 10? We finally got good qb play he did good! Got the ball in the play makers hands an it opened up the run!

Advertisement
tenor.gif

Really? So We need to make not to throwing into blatant double coverage as a teaching point? Something you learn in middle school? His high school coaches were so ****** that he regressed?

Stick to your ****** videos. Oh, and whoever said he reached his ceiling?
First of all, you implied that Perry has reached a ceiling when you said, "I question how much he can improve." If he can't improve, then he has reached his ceiling right? Isn't that what a lot of people have said about Rosier? The difference is Rosier is a 5th year Senior. So, if N'Kosi is making those same mistakes 3 years from now or even next year, then you may have a point.

Obviously throwing into double coverage was a mistake and I pointed it out in another post that he had a couple of throws that may have been interceptions against better competition. However, to say that throwing into double coverage is something learned not to do in middle school although true is just silly. Why then do NFL QBs throw into double coverage? Something they should have known better since middle school as you put it? I'll tell you why. Like the throw N'Kosi made, the QB is locked onto his receiver and doesn't see the safety or linebacker as the 2nd defender. If you go back and watch the play, the camera is behind N'Kosi where you can see that he doesn't see the 2nd defender when he makes the throw.

Lastly, I've never made any videos so there's no way I could have made a "******" video as you call it. You must have me confused with someone else.

I think you as some others in this thread are far too quick to pass judgment based on such a small body of work. Minimally, a full season as a body of work would need to take place. Even then, I would expect a redshirt freshman to improve in his 2nd year like all freshmen should regardless of position.

Let's give the young man time to grow into the position.

Advertisement
How about the throw at 9:25 of the video...Right to Harley? DB read that all the way...

Ehhhhhh, kinda. When I first saw that play, I thought He should've went to Hightower. But looking at it again, Homer ran a swing route, & Cager ran a 10 yd. slant, basically the same play Cager scored on earlier. FIU had it defended perfectly...the CB sat on the swing route, and the flat defender got up under the slant. In hindsight, Mallory should've sat in the zone vacated by the MLB that dropped in the deep middle. Still an unwise throw though, He got lucky.

And I agree with you on the throw at 10:15, like the aggression though.

Looking forward to his first start on Thursday.

When you say "flaws catch up with him", do you mean plays within a game (like the sack on 4th and goal) or is that a statement of a limited ceiling for his potential?

He can get better.

One thing I noticed about Him, is He only throws the ball one way. He brings the ball behind His head regardless of the throw...certain throws require different arm angles. He needs to work on the finesse part of passing the ball more (crossing routes in particular), His arm strength ain't goin' nowhere.

First game he ever had any meaningful snaps. Yes he will make mistakes in the future. Bottom line, at least in my eyes, he was a huge upgrade over what we have seen at QB for over a year. I will gladly take hs mistakes along with the upgrade the rest of the season

Richt needs to keep it simple, cut his reads if he has to, so that he can either get the ball out on time or tuck it and get what he can on the ground. Biggest thing for Perry right now is just take what the defense gives him, and if nothing is there run or throw the ball away, instead of trying to be a hero, like on the INT.

Advertisement
I mean whatever he did is mich better than the alternative of having rosier in the ******* game
Exactly. No one is saying Perry is perfect. But at least he has the excuse of being a RS Freshman that has never started a game. Rosier is a RS Senior and he constantly makes poor decisions, forces throws, gives up on a play and runs when he shouldn't (that second TD to Cager never would have happened with Rosier, he would have tucked and ran as soon as there was pressure, Perry stepped out of the pocket, rolled out, and threw a strike). So I'll take the Freshman mistakes from the Freshman who has greater ability than the freshman mistakes from the senior who can't make or refuses to make half the throws.

Of course. Nothing else to say really.

If you feel he should "of course" be the starter...then you kinda deserve the flack you get because the title "...The Downside..." implies there is upside with someone else on the roster.

It would be more appropriate for Clemson's situation or what Bama had...since they had legit starters replaced. Retitle it and criticize away...nothing wrong with that.

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

Willie Beamen.

Advertisement

Every single player has things they need to improve on.

Some of yall are just too stupid

He can get better.

One thing I noticed about Him, is He only throws the ball one way. He brings the ball behind His head regardless of the throw...certain throws require different arm angles. He needs to work on the finesse part of passing the ball more (crossing routes in particular), His arm strength ain't goin' nowhere.

He does have a weird throwing motion to my eye, but he seems to be accurate and strong with it. I wouldn't even try to revamp it....some guys just need to do what works for them. Jim Furyk has a loopy swing that looks way too much like my own, but he's 4th on the all time PGA Tour money list with that swing.

As @HighSeas mentioned, Perry’s twitch and explosion as a runner has been more impressive than expected.

College-level strength and conditioning has really helped him. He came in physically underdeveloped.

Advertisement
Back