The downside of Perry

OP made solid observations and I don't disagree with his points.

However, this is the nature of starting a freshman QB. He's going to misread coverages, he's going to scramble when he doesn't need to , he's going to occasionally force a pass he shouldn't. You have to assume his positive attributes will overcome occasional mental errors as he learns.

I was actually impressed with his willingness to check down and take what was given. All I heard about him was that he was too willing to force the ball downfield instead of making the easy throw. He did a good job of picking his spots against FIU. Obviously the interception was a rookie error but otherwise his throws were sharp.

Advertisement
If you feel he should "of course" be the starter...then you kinda deserve the flack you get because the title "...The Downside..." implies there is upside with someone else on the roster.

It would be more appropriate for Clemson's situation or what Bama had...since they had legit starters replaced. Retitle it and criticize away...nothing wrong with that.

I really didn't give the title much thought. I just put whatever the first thing that came to mind that sounded cool to me. I figured it would draw attention - which it has - and was fully aware of how polarizing the thread would be.

When I say "downside" I'm referring to Perry's individual flaw(s). There's no reference to any other player. Porsters who think I'm comparing him to Rosier are just projecting their own frustrations.

Looking forward to his first start on Thursday.

When you say "flaws catch up with him", do you mean plays within a game (like the sack on 4th and goal) or is that a statement of a limited ceiling for his potential?

Perry has the most potential of any QB on the roster. He has legit arm talent and athleticism. I meant that he will face more exotic fronts and pressure looks that expose poor fundamentals. That will be a good learning experience as others have stated. So yeah I'd say it's more the former than the latter.

Pat Mahomes was wild and erratic at times at Texas Tech and had to take a 'redshirt' year with the Chiefs. Now he's destroying the NFL. So there is a precedent for that QB archetype to develop and make plays in and out of structure. Philosophically I like 'orchestrator' or game manager types but I wouldn't want to neuter Perry's improvisation.

I think to some extent, when dealing with a Fr or new player/starter, the failure to make progressions and/or tucking it to run too quickly can be attributed to nerves.

If you still see it going on in the 2nd, 5th, 10th start... then you have a problem.

The fact that he didn't even scan the defense before taking the snap...I don't know what was on his mind but I doubt it was football. You may be right.

I agree with OP in the sense that Kosi made the wrong pre-snap read. It's clearly 3 vs 2 our advantage to the trips side. Seems that he decided before he even made his pre-snap read that Jordan was getting the ball, and he ended up being covered. That's a freshman mistake that he'll definitely learn from.

I disagree that he almost caused St. Louis to be called for a hold. It appeared to me that Kosi sensed the pressure coming because St. Louis was about beat and scrambled out and still picked up the first down. Turned a negative into a positive.

It's a 3-step concept. The ball should be coming out quick and St. Louis had the right pass set sending his man on a wide arc. The only way to get sacked on a play like that is with immediate interior pressure or holding the ball past the 3rd step. At least Perry didn't just sit in the pocket.

Eh, kids first start & he’s 19 years old. His freelancing ability is what makes him so dangerous actually. Cuz you CANNOT guard our WR’s that long. Completely disagree with the post.

Disagree. When you have gifted WRs all you need is a QB who executes the offense and gets them the ball on time. When you have mediocre smurf WRs like the Seahawks then you want Russell Wilson running around and launching deep balls.

Last edited:
For a Rs.Freshman getting his first real D1 game reps, you can always expect a few mental errors. Nothing wrong with it. There's also nothing wrong with a little objective critiquing. The OP wasn't negative at all, so I don't understand the backlash. We understand he's just beginning to get his feet under him at the position, and the natural reaction is to give him a pass because of that. Other teams aren't going to be grading us on a curve, though. You best believe that they will be sifting through game film and looking for things just like this to exploit.

He's not a Steve Walsh or a Ken Dorsey.

As I've said before, he is the kind of QB that can make plays and win the game for you. He's very dynamic. He's also the kind of QB that can make plays that win the game for the other team.

I hope his upside outweighs the downside.

Advertisement
This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

Hey Malik. How's it going bruh??

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

We got a dude named high seas bagging on a bonafide pirate? **** around and get keel hauled OP.

1396409F-00C8-4C5D-9444-4D6F37B33E61_zpsdi3g1tvq.jpg

What is there to defend? What OP posted is a legit topic that should be talked about. Either contribute or scroll pass the thread.
But then you get tight when someone gives rebuttal to OP. High seas is this your campaign manager

Advertisement
I agree with OP in the sense that Kosi made the wrong pre-snap read. It's clearly 3 vs 2 our advantage to the trips side. Seems that he decided before he even made his pre-snap read that Jordan was getting the ball, and he ended up being covered. That's a freshman mistake that he'll definitely learn from.

I disagree that he almost caused St. Louis to be called for a hold. It appeared to me that Kosi sensed the pressure coming because St. Louis was about beat and scrambled out and still picked up the first down. Turned a negative into a positive.
Two people looked at the same scenario through different lenses.. wow it's happening folks

If he didn't have problems like this he would have been named starter along time ago. His tools are elite, you have to figure he's going to have some other problems. The question is does he have the ability to iron those problems out with experience.

Even though it was just one game, nothing wrong with seeing errors/flaws in Perry's game and bringing them to a football message board to discuss. Some of you people going at him did the same thing when other posters started to point out Malik's flaws and accuracy problems last year.

Even though it was just one game, nothing wrong with seeing errors/flaws in Perry's game and bringing them to a football message board to discuss. Some of you people going at him did the same thing when other posters started to point out Malik's flaws and accuracy problems last year.
It’s different when you critique a 5th year senior opposed to a freshman playing his first game ... **** he hasn’t started yet.

Advertisement
Why are we talking fundamentals?! I saw a near flawless performance on Saturday.

Huh? Near flawless?

I like Perry, and glad to see him get his shot. Gone as far as we can go with the limited Rosier. But to say that was flawless is downright hilarious.

Lot to be excited about, and he has time to develop. Let's not get carried away with this flawless BS. (and no none of us should expect flawless with him being a pup still)

@HighSeas

I still think that Kosi we saw against FIU wins us the LSU game especially with the throws that were asked of Malik that night.

Just a little PSA to the board- A couple of us have warned you that Kosi might be a short term fix especially with what I saw in both of these games. He makes throws he shouldn’t be throwing and he did it in both games. That worries me...even with the ball placement being better. Even though I think Perry would’ve won us the LSU game and he’s obviously better, I question how much his play can improve the offense.

I don't think he wins us LSU...AT THIS POINT. I may be wrong, but they would have ate him alive and forced mistakes. But glad we've made the switch, and obv a lot of potential with Perry, a level that Rosier simply can't get to.

And I agree with you that there are some issues that worry me w Perry. I'm no QB coach though, and am anxious to see him improve.

Advertisement
I actually though it was a called QB draw. Which I thought was a good idea because it kind of helps the QB get into the game. Go in there and get banged around a little. Gets the blood pumping. Plus the first few pass plays were rhythm throws with basically one read. I thought it was good coaching, unless we are talking about different plays....

I am however fully aware that Perry will make a freshman mistake that will cost us a game somewhere. However I am willing to take that over watching us struggle game after game with a guy that cant hit the lunch line in stride. I can tell after one game that he will get too confident and try to fit the ball in where it cant go. I am ok with it. I also say an elite athleticism we have not seen in who knows how long at the QB position. Maybe for once we will get to see the Fla qb dominate and run around and make crazy good plays at the U and not somewhere else like Louisville. I am excited to see what the kid can do. I am excited to have a Sr back up that I wont absolutely cringe if he goes in a game if we need a spark, or Perry gets banged up.

Thanks for the thread basically pounding your chest because you think you saw some pre snap/post snap issue that you don't even know if actually is an issue. Do you know the exact play call? let alone you basically admitted that you were attention whoring with your thread title. I could not believe it took until the 5th page for someone to call you Malik! LOL

But hey you did create some good conversation, so there's that.

This is not going to go over well with you people but unless you're on the offensive staff.....you don't have a clue what the pre-snap read is, his primary, scheme, nothing....just stop it already

Advertisement
Back