The downside of Perry

1st pick score was 20-3 ball was Also tipped. 2nd pick we LT got abused and 12 got hit as he threw, ball sailedšŸ¤·šŸ½ā€ā™‚ļø. That throw to JT that vilma broke down there was a guy underneath to the outside so if he leads him idk bro looks like the defender has a play on the ball..out here sounding like Iā€™m defending him lol..but my main point is the way or d played, giving up chunk plays, combined with STs which was horrible combined with penalties I believe we had 11, is the reason we loss along with 12. Perry wasnt overcoming those other problems we had. Tbh on that Day as a whole we played a poor game. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m not a big fan of these openenif weekend ā€œneutralā€ site games. Id rather play a game like that in week 3 or 4
Our D?

11-24 passing

5-16 on passes 5 yards or more.

3.8 yards per carry and if you minus Diazā€™s bad play call then you get 2.5...

6 TFLs with 2 sacks and 5 hurries

3-16 on 3rd down

2 drives that totaled 27 yards and they got 6 points.

Did you watch the same game?

Advertisement
Our D?

11-24 passing

5-16 on passes 5 yards or more.

3.8 yards per carry and if you minus Diazā€™s bad play call then you get 2.5...

6 TFLs with 2 sacks and 5 hurries

3-16 on 3rd down

2 drives that totaled 27 yards and they got 6 points.

Did you watch the same game?
Nice stats..still 33 points...letā€™s subtract Malikā€™s pick six after the d gave up 20..thatā€™s 25..u can point to the d..u canā€™t point to the SPT..you can point to the penalties..or malik..point is we got our *** kicked bruh

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

I'm just curious if you realize we just may have 2 other qbs who share those same tendencies yet lack the majority of the upside... by the way richts offense just might be with the base weve seen lately (which is very different from what he ran previously at fsu & uga)because of the flaws of our signal caller...

Nice stats..still 33 points...letā€™s subtract Malikā€™s pick six after the d gave up 20..thatā€™s 25..u can point to the d..u canā€™t point to the SPT..you can point to the penalties..or malik..point is we got our *** kicked bruh
An offense that didnt move the ball at all & a punter who shanked 85% of his kicks but fvck it. Let's blame the d...

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.
relax it's the kids first time to see any live action.your gonna have accept the good and bad habits he has besides that play and the interception are what smart coaches call teachable moments.he will learn when to run etc he's not a 5th yr veteran.

Advertisement
its hard for me to accept this as objective analysis because it reads like its nitpicky as fuq.

There is no need for this type of assessment until Perry practices and plays as the starting qb in conference play.

its something to discuss so you cant ask for much more on a message board. cant fault you there.

The same flaws that defensive coordinators will look to expose will also be covered up by richt in the schematics the same way it was with rosier.

i just dont see the same cause for concern because i dont expect Perry to have a negative reaction to the obvious coaching points he will receive

An offense that didnt move the ball at all & a punter who shanked 85% of his kicks but fvck it. Let's blame the d...
If you read and comprehend..I said the D along with other parts of the squad..if u go back to the gameday thread and look at all the complaints about Shaq, pink , Dean, and manny youā€™d know I wasnā€™t the only one..never said we loss just because of the D

The mistakes that Perry will make are no different than the ones the SR keeps making at this point of his career. Perry seems to be the better option in the passing attack too. Let him do his thing and see how things progress.

@HighSeas I'll tell you what's lame...lame is putting together highlights in order to make a point that is awkward at best. Unless you work for espn, fox sports, or the acc network, you should just leave the player critique to the professionals. AND THAT'S REAL.

Advertisement
its hard for me to accept this as objective analysis because it reads like its nitpicky as fuq.

There is no need for this type of assessment until Perry practices and plays as the starting qb in conference play.

its something to discuss so you cant ask for much more on a message board. cant fault you there.

The same flaws that defensive coordinators will look to expose will also be covered up by richt in the schematics the same way it was with rosier.

i just dont see the same cause for concern because i dont expect Perry to have a negative reaction to the obvious coaching points he will receive

Well said

One thing I noticed with Perry is he is fairly accurate with the ball and hits the receiver in stride. A good change for Rosier. However I think he throws over the middle a lot and a good defense will make him throw the harder throws to the outside. I hope he can make those throws under pressure because if he continues to get playing time he will be in that situation sooner or later. Forcing it over the middle will be costly.

@HighSeas I'll tell you what's lame...lame is putting together highlights in order to make a point that is awkward at best. Unless you work for espn, fox sports, or the acc network, you should just leave the player critique to the professionals. AND THAT'S REAL.

You sound like a fascist trying to centralize football knowledge. You will not find analysis like I posted on any of those networks unless you're one of the 50 people watching NFL matchup in the middle of the night. My arguments are only awkward to you because you lack the knowledge to understand them. Nothing is real about what you said. You're just another porster exposing himself as a buffoon. Welcome to the ignore list.

I'm just curious if you realize we just may have 2 other qbs who share those same tendencies yet lack the majority of the upside... by the way richts offense just might be with the base weve seen lately (which is very different from what he ran previously at fsu & uga)because of the flaws of our signal caller...

Again for the 5th time or so I never mentioned any other QBs and I completely agree with the thought you expressed in your 1st sentence. I hope you're right about the 2nd point but I remember his OC Mike Bobo receiving a lot of criticism at UGA for running a predictable passing game heavy on slants (think Ben McAdoo).

Hey you wrote in one of your replies that your title was written based off what you thought sounded cool and you wanted it to catch peopleā€™s attention. So um yeah thatā€™s attention whoring, negative attention or positive is still whoring. Lol. And Iā€™m 13 and medicated.

I did say the play I was thinking of IMO was obviously Qb draw. Maybe we are thinking of different plays. Maybe in the future include a link to a specific play? Especially if your going to proceed to try to degrade me even though I acknowledged we may be thinking of different plays.

Stop embarrassing myself? Seriously bro. What exactly is embarrassing about my assessment of nā€™kosi In my response?

New low for the board? Who are you even? Iā€™ve been here a long time and I donā€™t recall ever seeing your name even...but all this time youā€™ve been the qb whisperer and not posting? Guess we have been missing out.

I cracked the Malik joke because as I read your OP I was thinking ā€œ this guy thinks heā€™s the smartest guy in the room with this overly in depth analysis he has written up just to be the first to say ā€˜hey nā€™Kosi has this flaw in his game and Iā€™m the only one to see it!ā€™ā€ And so yeah I expected someone to call you Malik, because that a common type of joke here. It was just a joke there buddy.

I give zero ***** about Malik. He was going to cost us more games with his limitations then nā€™kosi will with his freshman mistakes.

Yes, I do think you chose ONE play from a very green QB, and came on here to critique it as if you have some deep understanding of quarterbacking that no one can comprehend. And you have basically backed up my assessment of you with your supporting posts, and then your middle school effort at coming at me.
Yes it was a serious reply, yes I was joking at the end about you. But it wasnā€™t meant to sound like it read. My bad. I donā€™t think your post was terrible, I think it was overkill. I donā€™t think Iā€™m the only one either. But you do you man.

No I didn't. That's a gross misinterpretation of what I said. I had the word "downside" on my mind because of a song so it was the first thing that came to mind. I didn't think twice about using it in the title and I thought it sounded cool, yes (because of the anchoring effect of the song title). I was aware that the title would be attention-grabbing but that wasn't something I sought out to accomplish specifically. I don't see how that's attention whoring but you're welcome to that opinion. Maybe you missed the end of my post where I said the real goal of the thread - to educate and reduce unreasonable expectations below halo effect status.

@Roman Marciante knows far more than me about QB play but I happen to have some rudimentary knowledge about offensive schemes that I thought the board would appreciate. It appears that most do which is the reward I was hoping for.

Your "smartest guy in the room" comment really exposes your intentions here. Why are you so offended by my post and where did I say I'm the only person to notice anything? I've been talking about this concern of mine for years. Once again I'm not trying to impress anyone with my football knowledge rather I want to educate the board so others can learn football the way I did - passed down through osmosis on the field and the internet. You're obviously very insecure and you come across as a high school bully type who's threatened by someone who they perceive to be more intelligent or knowledgeable. Note that I said perceive because I know reading comprehension is an issue for you and I don't want you to accuse me of saying I'm smarter than you.

Once again, I don't possess arcane knowledge of the QB position. I'm sorry that you feel that way.

You can think whatever you want about me. Your opinion is worthless to me and you're the latest to join my ignore list. Now you don't have to worry about interacting with me again and embarrassing yourself further.

You sound like a fascist trying to centralize football knowledge. You will not find analysis like I posted on any of those networks unless you're one of the 50 people watching NFL matchup in the middle of the night. My arguments are only awkward to you because you lack the knowledge to understand them. Nothing is real about what you said. You're just another porster exposing himself as a buffoon. Welcome to the ignore list.

Again for the 5th time or so I never mentioned any other QBs and I completely agree with the thought you expressed in your 1st sentence. I hope you're right about the 2nd point but I remember his OC Mike Bobo receiving a lot of criticism at UGA for running a predictable passing game heavy on slants (think Ben McAdoo).

No I didn't. That's a gross misinterpretation of what I said. I had the word "downside" on my mind because of a song so it was the first thing that came to mind. I didn't think twice about using it in the title and I thought it sounded cool, yes (because of the anchoring effect of the song title). I was aware that the title would be attention-grabbing but that wasn't something I sought out to accomplish specifically. I don't see how that's attention whoring but you're welcome to that opinion. Maybe you missed the end of my post where I said the real goal of the thread - to educate and reduce unreasonable expectations below halo effect status.

@Roman Marciante knows far more than me about QB play but I happen to have some rudimentary knowledge about offensive schemes that I thought the board would appreciate. It appears that most do which is the reward I was hoping for.

Your "smartest guy in the room" comment really exposes your intentions here. Why are you so offended by my post and where did I say I'm the only person to notice anything? I've been talking about this concern of mine for years. Once again I'm not trying to impress anyone with my football knowledge rather I want to educate the board so others can learn football the way I did - passed down through osmosis on the field and the internet. You're obviously very insecure and you come across as a high school bully type who's threatened by someone who they perceive to be more intelligent or knowledgeable. Note that I said perceive because I know reading comprehension is an issue for you and I don't want you to accuse me of saying I'm smarter than you.

Once again, I don't possess arcane knowledge of the QB position. I'm sorry that you feel that way.

You can think whatever you want about me. Your opinion is worthless to me and you're the latest to join my ignore list. Now you don't have to worry about interacting with me again and embarrassing yourself further.

So youā€™ve come here to educate us, yet my you think your the smartest guy inthe room comment was misguided?
This is something youā€™ve noticed for years? You realize Nā€™Kosi is a redshirt freshman right?
You realithis first real game action was last week not last year?
So tell me again just how long you have held this opinion of Nā€™Kosi?
My opinion is worthless to you but you do admit you came here for some kind of personal reward?
Did you seriously just type that you learned the game through osmosis on the internet and your here to share that with us?
Guy are you kidding me here? And how in the heck am I the one embarrassing themselves again?
I am here for conversation about football, I also admit I have learned deeper understanding of concepts from others who are more knowledgeable than myself on this board. I do appreciate those xā€™s and oā€™s conversations which is probably why I clicked on your thread. If you want reward and not page after page of guys shooting you down Iā€™d highly recommend changing your approach. Because you sound like some over intelligent nerd who has ZERO people skills. Matter of fact your kind of reminding me of DBC now.
Good luck with your ignore list!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back