The downside of Perry

This is not going to go over well with you people but unless you're on the offensive staff.....you don't have a clue what the pre-snap read is, his primary, scheme, nothing....just stop it already

What are you talking about? We got real football experts on here, yo.

Advertisement
This is not going to go over well with you people but unless you're on the offensive staff.....you don't have a clue what the pre-snap read is, his primary, scheme, nothing....just stop it already
The pre-snap read in general is always a number count. Where do I have an advantage over the defense? Whether it's counting men in the box on a called run, or DBs in pass coverage. This seems pretty clear that they have 2 covering our trips receivers and that's where he should've gone.

Maybe that play is designed for Jordan to be matched up one-on-one with a LB or safety and that's Perry's first read. But a more experienced QB may have the freedom, or knowledge, to look left and see the numbers advantage and go there instead.

The pre-snap read in general is always a number count. Where do I have an advantage over the defense? Whether it's counting men in the box on a called run, or DBs in pass coverage. This seems pretty clear that they have 2 covering our trips receivers and that's where he should've gone.
In order for you to know the pre-snap read, you have to know the play being called and what the designer of the play has coached you on what the pre-snap read is.

Maybe that play is designed for Jordan to be matched up one-on-one with a LB or safety and that's Perry's first read. But a more experienced QB may have the freedom, or knowledge, to look left and see the numbers advantage and go there instead.

Truth

Always remember, DC's have an easier time game-planning for concepts, than they do for unpredictable Dual Threat QB's...

You know, throwing the ball to a RB can have a higher unsuccessful rate, than to an athletic QB running the ball - when there's nothing but green grass between said QB and the Sticks.

Go figure...

Advertisement
This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

Good point. I think those minor executing errors can be ironed out with more game time.

Hey Malik. How's it going bruh??

What does anything I said have to do with Malik? I haven't mentioned him once in this thread. Lame joke regardless.

Always remember, DC's have an easier time game-planning for concepts, than they do for unpredictable Dual Threat QB's...

You know, throwing the ball to a RB can have a higher unsuccessful rate, than to an athletic QB running the ball - when there's nothing but green grass between said QB and the Sticks.

Go figure...

We've already seen what the offense looks like with a QB who doesn't execute and relies almost solely on his legs on 3rd and long. You're advocating for more of that?

:stephenahand:

I actually though it was a called QB draw. Which I thought was a good idea because it kind of helps the QB get into the game. Go in there and get banged around a little. Gets the blood pumping. Plus the first few pass plays were rhythm throws with basically one read. I thought it was good coaching, unless we are talking about different plays....

I am however fully aware that Perry will make a freshman mistake that will cost us a game somewhere. However I am willing to take that over watching us struggle game after game with a guy that cant hit the lunch line in stride. I can tell after one game that he will get too confident and try to fit the ball in where it cant go. I am ok with it. I also say an elite athleticism we have not seen in who knows how long at the QB position. Maybe for once we will get to see the Fla qb dominate and run around and make crazy good plays at the U and not somewhere else like Louisville. I am excited to see what the kid can do. I am excited to have a Sr back up that I wont absolutely cringe if he goes in a game if we need a spark, or Perry gets banged up.

Thanks for the thread basically pounding your chest because you think you saw some pre snap/post snap issue that you don't even know if actually is an issue. Do you know the exact play call? let alone you basically admitted that you were attention whoring with your thread title. I could not believe it took until the 5th page for someone to call you Malik! LOL

But hey you did create some good conversation, so there's that.

Not sure if this is a serious post or not, but if it is then wow this is a new low for this board. Breaking down that play is not rocket science to anyone with a modicum of football knowledge. You obviously have none if you think that was a QB draw. Wow, just wow wow wow wow wow. And where do you come up with this attention whoring ****? You think I wrote up a thorough breakdown of a play (and responded to several posts) just to get negative attention? You can't be older than 13. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Man you really took my post personally. Don't forget your meds next time you log on.

P.S. no one gives a **** about Malik except you and a few other dumbasses in here. So congrats.

But hey you tried so there's that! :monkey-serious:

Advertisement
Not sure if this is a serious post or not, but if it is then wow this is a new low for this board. Breaking down that play is not rocket science to anyone with a modicum of football knowledge. You obviously have none if you think that was a QB draw. Wow, just wow wow wow wow wow. And where do you come up with this attention whoring ****? You think I wrote up a thorough breakdown of a play (and responded to several posts) just to get negative attention? You can't be older than 13. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Man you really took my post personally. Don't forget your meds next time you log on.

P.S. no one gives a **** about Malik except you and a few other dumbasses in here. So congrats.

But hey you tried so there's that! :monkey-serious:

Hey you wrote in one of your replies that your title was written based off what you thought sounded cool and you wanted it to catch people’s attention. So um yeah that’s attention whoring, negative attention or positive is still whoring. Lol. And I’m 13 and medicated.

I did say the play I was thinking of IMO was obviously Qb draw. Maybe we are thinking of different plays. Maybe in the future include a link to a specific play? Especially if your going to proceed to try to degrade me even though I acknowledged we may be thinking of different plays.

Stop embarrassing myself? Seriously bro. What exactly is embarrassing about my assessment of n’kosi In my response?

New low for the board? Who are you even? I’ve been here a long time and I don’t recall ever seeing your name even...but all this time you’ve been the qb whisperer and not posting? Guess we have been missing out.

I cracked the Malik joke because as I read your OP I was thinking “ this guy thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room with this overly in depth analysis he has written up just to be the first to say ‘hey n’Kosi has this flaw in his game and I’m the only one to see it!’” And so yeah I expected someone to call you Malik, because that a common type of joke here. It was just a joke there buddy.

I give zero ***** about Malik. He was going to cost us more games with his limitations then n’kosi will with his freshman mistakes.

Yes, I do think you chose ONE play from a very green QB, and came on here to critique it as if you have some deep understanding of quarterbacking that no one can comprehend. And you have basically backed up my assessment of you with your supporting posts, and then your middle school effort at coming at me.
Yes it was a serious reply, yes I was joking at the end about you. But it wasn’t meant to sound like it read. My bad. I don’t think your post was terrible, I think it was overkill. I don’t think I’m the only one either. But you do you man.

In order for you to know the pre-snap read, you have to know the play being called and what the designer of the play has coached you on what the pre-snap read is.

Truth
I hate this line of thinking. If that's the case we might as well not talk about anything that ever happens on the field since we don't "know the play being called and what the designer of the play has coached you on what pre-snap read is."

Why are we talking fundamentals?! I saw a near flawless performance on Saturday. Who cares who he missed or what he read. We got the W and will continue to do so under Perry.
Because this was a lousy team we played. Flaws might be more important in another game with a really good team

I hate this line of thinking. If that's the case we might as well not talk about anything that ever happens on the field since we don't "know the play being called and what the designer of the play has coached you on what pre-snap read is."

Not true bc many aspects of the game outside of this can be discussed in detail in terms of scheme & technique, etc.

Some of us just don’t know our limits. Think bc we watch then we completely understand what’s being called & it couldn’t be further from the truth.

Advertisement
Not true bc many aspects of the game outside of this can be discussed in detail in terms of scheme & technique, etc.

Some of us just don’t know our limits. Think bc we watch then we completely understand what’s being called & it couldn’t be further from the truth.

We can all agree that Perry is better than Malweak though right?

We gotta be like 99.99% together on that. As a crew.

@HighSeas

I still think that Kosi we saw against FIU wins us the LSU game especially with the throws that were asked of Malik that night.

Just a little PSA to the board- A couple of us have warned you that Kosi might be a short term fix especially with what I saw in both of these games. He makes throws he shouldn’t be throwing and he did it in both games. That worries me...even with the ball placement being better. Even though I think Perry would’ve won us the LSU game and he’s obviously better, I question how much his play can improve the offense.
Perry can’t run or pass block..for that reason, no he wouldn’t have beat LSU. This version of perry can’t beat a D like LSU. From the two games against lesser comp, I’m convinced his decision making and ball security at this stage in the young mans career is a concern. He stares down his guys a lot and that pick vs FIU was terrible. And he put the ball in harms way 2 other times, one of which mike bailed him out...but I’ll say this, the upside is there..I’m team who gets the job done

Advertisement
Perry can’t run or pass block..for that reason, no he wouldn’t have beat LSU. This version of perry can’t beat a D like LSU. From the two games against lesser comp, I’m convinced his decision making and ball security at this stage in the young mans career is a concern. He stares down his guys a lot and that pick vs FIU was terrible. And he put the ball in harms way 2 other times, one of which mike bailed him out...but I’ll say this, the upside is there..I’m team who gets the job done
Too bad we averaged 4.55 yards a carry with our running backs though...and we actually gave Malik enough time to throw 80 % of the time he dropped back to pass. 5 hurries and 4 sacks...2 of which Malik sacked himself.

He would’ve beat LSU. If we don’t shank 2 punts and Malweak doesn’t throw that dopey pick then they lose 16 of their points and it would’ve been a tie ball game.

Last edited:
Too bad we averaged 4.55 yards a carry with our running backs though...and we actually gave Malik enough time to throw 80 % of the time he dropped back to pass. 5 hurries and 4 sacks...2 of which Malik sacked himself.

He would’ve beat LSU. If we don’t shank 2 punts and Malweak doesn’t throw that dopey pick then they lose 16 of their points and it would’ve been a tie ball game.
Tbh that game was over b4 the pick six. That was just the icing lol..but fair point on Feagles man he left the d out to dry..but correct me if I’m wrong, malik attempted like 39 passes..idgaf who on the roster is the QB that is not our formula to win..at all

Tbh that game was over b4 the pick six. That was just the icing lol..but fair point on Feagles man he left the d out to dry..but correct me if I’m wrong, malik attempted like 39 passes..idgaf who on the roster is the QB that is not our formula to win..at all
2 throws...11 points.

2 throws...11 points.

1st pick score was 20-3 ball was Also tipped. 2nd pick we LT got abused and 12 got hit as he threw, ball sailed🤷🏽‍♂️. That throw to JT that vilma broke down there was a guy underneath to the outside so if he leads him idk bro looks like the defender has a play on the ball..out here sounding like I’m defending him lol..but my main point is the way or d played, giving up chunk plays, combined with STs which was horrible combined with penalties I believe we had 11, is the reason we loss along with 12. Perry wasnt overcoming those other problems we had. Tbh on that Day as a whole we played a poor game. That’s why I’m not a big fan of these openenif weekend “neutral” site games. Id rather play a game like that in week 3 or 4

Advertisement
Back