The downside of Perry

HighSeas

Sophomore
This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't know of any qb in recent memory who didn't make a mistake in his first two starts. He needs game experience. The difference between Perry making mistakes and Rosier making mistakes is that Perry has the arm talent to get away with some mistakes. Someone pointed out the ill advised throw to Harley in tight double coverage, Perry got away with it because he fired a rocket right into Harleys chest. Rosier simply doesn't have the precision to make that pass into a miniscule window, and if the ball goes anywhere else it's an incompletion or pick.

This is something that Richt has to see on tape in live action so he can make corrections.

Advertisement
Why are we talking fundamentals?! I saw a near flawless performance on Saturday. Who cares who he missed or what he read. We got the W and will continue to do so under Perry.

So I'm supposed to be upset because Perry dipped out of the pocket, made an athletic play, picked up the first down, and finished off a TD drive?

Versus what, overthrowing a wide open player, that no one was within 20 yards of, on 3rd and 2 when he could've tucked and ran for the first down as well, then we punted for 19 yards to our own 41 yard line?

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

Temper deez nuts

Uh huh.

And Homer is still "trending down" too?

Perhaps you should share all your "secrets" with Richt - I'm sure he could use the help with QBs.

Advertisement
Team Jarren Williams
Screenshot_20180924-193455.png

Solid post OP. I didn't take it to be critical at all. It was simply objective.

I'm absolutely stoked that CMR has made the call and it looks like Perry will be our guy moving forward. He impressed me a lot Saturday, and as several on here mentioned on other threads, you could literally see it fire up other skill position guys. But there's a reason he didn't downright beat out Malik in camp and it's likely a matter of these more basic Xs and Os things like you analyzed above.

I still think we are in much better hands with Perry as we have seen Malik's ceiling and it just isn't high enough. But we need to prepare ourselves for the likely realty that against much better Ds than FIU has, he may well make some youngster mistakes on the basics. All good, part of learning, and I'm pumped to see what the kid can do!

@HighSeas with that said - do you think Perry should be our starter moving forward?

Of course. Nothing else to say really.

Solid post OP. I didn't take it to be critical at all. It was simply objective.

Thanks. That was the intent. Obviously there are a lot of porsters who can't handle that, which is fine. Some of the excuses and rationalizations are hilarious. This is remedial QB play so there's really no excuse.

Uh huh.

And Homer is still "trending down" too?

Perhaps you should share all your "secrets" with Richt - I'm sure he could use the help with QBs.

Cool, thanks for the analysis!

Advertisement
Good write up OP. Nothing you said was inaccurate. Harley also bailed him out twice on bad decisions.

With that being said, give me Perry over Rosier any day of the week.

@HighSeas

I still think that Kosi we saw against FIU wins us the LSU game especially with the throws that were asked of Malik that night.

Just a little PSA to the board- A couple of us have warned you that Kosi might be a short term fix especially with what I saw in both of these games. He makes throws he shouldn’t be throwing and he did it in both games. That worries me...even with the ball placement being better. Even though I think Perry would’ve won us the LSU game and he’s obviously better, I question how much his play can improve the offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back