The downside of Perry

@HighSeas

I still think that Kosi we saw against FIU wins us the LSU game especially with the throws that were asked of Malik that night.

Just a little PSA to the board couple of us have warned you that Kosi might be a short term fix especially with what I saw in both of these games. He makes throws he shouldn’t be throwing and he did it in both games. That worries me...even with the ball placement being better. Even though I think Perry would’ve won us the LSU game and he’s obviously better, I question how much his play can improve the offense.
Hmmm, even with Feagles giving LSU the ball on the 40 Yard line on 3 separate occasions?

Advertisement
Hmmm, even with Feagles giving LSU the ball on the 40 Yard line on 3 separate occasions?
2 of those were caused by Rozzier overthrows....of a wide open receiver. You didn’t watch any of the breakdowns posted did you? Not even the OTH ones huh?

i agree and saw the same thing during the re-watch, but i'm sure he wasn't settled and adrenaline was high. rookie mistake.

I agree with OP in the sense that Kosi made the wrong pre-snap read. It's clearly 3 vs 2 our advantage to the trips side. Seems that he decided before he even made his pre-snap read that Jordan was getting the ball, and he ended up being covered. That's a freshman mistake that he'll definitely learn from.

I disagree that he almost caused St. Louis to be called for a hold. It appeared to me that Kosi sensed the pressure coming because St. Louis was about beat and scrambled out and still picked up the first down. Turned a negative into a positive.

Advertisement
Based on the interviews Perry has done, he seems to have a great amount of respect for CMR, its clear who the "real captain is"(CMR). I expect Perry to continue to be open to coaching and stay within the structure of the offense specially with Weldon and Williams breathing heavy behind him. I expect CMR to continue to coach and stay in control.

Every freshman QB, no matter how talented, will have a bad game or two. Perry just needs experience. Being young and green he's going to make mistakes. The difference between Rosier and him though is Perry can and will make the routine plays to keep the offense on track.

I thought Richt called it perfectly for Nkosi when he first got in the game. There were a lot of short easy throws that built his confidence. In my opinion that's the offense we should run. Get the ball out fast into the hands of the playmakers that are all over the roster. Then when defense start cheating up hit the long ones.

I think our time of possession will be much longer with Nkosi. With Rosier it was all or nothing. Against FIU Perry showed he can keep the O on the field. Not only does that tend to lead to points but it keeps the beasts on the D line fresh

Overall I expect plenty of good things to come but there will be more than a few head scratching decisions. It's just has to be expected with a freshman QB.

If everything goes as expected, we will see Perry mature each and every game... and the coaching staff should help him with technique.
Accuracy, speed and read smarts are his foundation. Lets just chill.

Advertisement
Thank you, OP.

I'm definitely excited to see more of Perry in games this year, but that has no bearing on my desire to see good, thoughtful breakdowns of each and every player. Starting things off this way should ground our appreciation of N'Kosi in reality (rather than let it become some sort of misplaced hero-worship that will inevitably lead to resentment).

I don’t care about what his flaws are honestly bc I’m just so fed up with watching malik

A bunch of you are giving Perry the Ron Powlus treatment. You might be in for a shock.

hqdefault.jpg

Advertisement
My gosh, the guy makes a valid post and says what for us to look for when it comes to Perry’s cons and this is y’alls first thought? Clowns.
Yes this is my first thought. Perry hasn’t even started a game yet, yet OP was already looking at the glass half empty. Let the kid grow, you don’t think him and Richt went over this in film on Sunday? Kid completes 14 of his first 15 passes, and you want to find the negatives.

Am I the only one that paused the video throughout that play?

IMO, he scanned the field and looked right at DJ, problem is the defender was closing right in on him (Perry). The second he notices the pressure he scrambled out of the pocket. If that guy is blocked he goes to DJ for the first.

I think a lot of the flaws indicated can be fixed with game experience, watching actual game tape of himself, etc. He has the arm talent and accuracy... Just hoping he can get it mentally.

Not comparing level of talent, but Tua had some poor moments, and was bailed out by his raw ability. Kosi isn’t Tua, and Miami doesn’t have Alabama level talent or coaching, but at the college level I’ll generally take talent, and allow mistakes to fade with growth.

In saying all that. You make valid criticisms. I hope coaches are on Perry’s *** about those things, along with the other mistakes he made during the game. He appears to be a gamer, so hopefully he can learn from his mistakes.

Advertisement
Perry will miss reads, make bad throws, throw into bad coverage, etc. That's the deal with a young kid. What I liked about Perry was that if a play isn't there, he works at keeping himself behind the LOS and constantly looking downfield. Rosier, otoh, would usually do his duck and runs. The perry approach is effective b/c he keeps plays alive and in the case of the OP, yeah, he missed the read, but he kept the play alive as long as he could. That's not that egregious.

@HighSeas

I still think that Kosi we saw against FIU wins us the LSU game especially with the throws that were asked of Malik that night.

Just a little PSA to the board couple of us have warned you that Kosi might be a short term fix especially with what I saw in both of these games. He makes throws he shouldn’t be throwing and he did it in both games. That worries me...even with the ball placement being better. Even though I think Perry would’ve won us the LSU game and he’s obviously better, I question how much his play can improve the offense.
You question how much his play can improve? Really. So, a redshirt freshman whose played in 3 games (passes in only 2) has reached his ceiling? That's just laughable. I guess you say the same thing about NFL rookie QBs. C'mon man!!!! Every freshman QB improves whether it's high school, college, or the NFL. Like Richt said, there isn't much more to learn from practice. Live games are what's needed. Now the Richts' can coach him up. Perry will get better each week. Imagine Perry's improvement by the end of the season or next year. Oh, I guess you can't since he's reached his ceiling.

Advertisement
Back