The downside of Perry

Advertisement
Looking forward to his first start on Thursday.

When you say "flaws catch up with him", do you mean plays within a game (like the sack on 4th and goal) or is that a statement of a limited ceiling for his potential?

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

Break structure? Sounds very similar to what Richt, as QB coach at FSU, told Bowden to do with Charlie Ward right after FSU lost to us in 92. Specifically, Ward had problems with his reads so they decided to run a two minute offense for the rest of the season which allowed Ward to think less and use his natural instincts, because defenses had a hard time getting set. Not saying Perry is Charlie Ward, but if Perry is as gifted as advertised, why not tinker around with this philosophy?

@HighSeas

I still think that Kosi we saw against FIU wins us the LSU game especially with the throws that were asked of Malik that night.

Just a little PSA to the board couple of us have warned you that Kosi might be a short term fix especially with what I saw in both of these games. He makes throws he shouldn’t be throwing and he did it in both games. That worries me...even with the ball placement being better. Even though I think Perry would’ve won us the LSU game and he’s obviously better, I question how much his play can improve the offense.

Curious at which throws bothered you?

Scrap out that one where he chunked it deep trusting his arm and got picked... what else you got?

This board is littered with positive threads buzzing about Perry. It's great that the fanbase is energized about the team but as usual I feel it is my duty to play devil's advocate and point out a flaw in Perry's game.

Since he was a recruit I've maintained that Perry's biggest issue is his tendency to freelance and try to make plays outside of structure. Short/intermediate timing and rhythm throws are not his strength which is a major concern given Richt uses a lot of West Coast concepts in his offense.

It's a 0-0 game and Perry's 1st drive. This is a 3x2 empty set which immediately signals for either a 3-step quick game concept or QB draw. FIU has 2 deep safeties outside of the screen with no adjustment to the trips side (and defenders high in their stance staring at the ball), indicating zone coverage. After the snap it's immediately clear that this is Cover 2 which is a common call for 3rd & 5+. Perry receives the snap, hits the top of his drop staring down a wide open Jordan past the marker....and tucks the balls to run. If he scanned the left side of the defense prior to the snap he would have seen Dallas uncovered indicating another easy completion at the sticks. Perry gets the 1st down with his athleticism but the refs missed a hold on St. Louis - a hold that Perry caused by fleeing the pocket on a 3-step quick game concept where the ball absolutely must come out at the top of the drop.

There are many fundamental issues with this play both pre and post snap and it's concerning. Perry clearly has immense talent and even has more twitchy athleticism than I realized. He eventually got into a rhythm but against better competition he will need to stick to fundamentals and execute the offense. There's too much skill position talent - and too little OL talent - to have a QB who routinely breaks structure for no reason whatsoever. It will result in a lot of missed opportunities, plus unnecessary sacks and turnovers.

There is a time and place for a QB to break structure - Russell Wilson and Pat Mahomes do it frequently - but this wasn't it.

I hope this was educational and helps to temper expectations a little. I don't want to see this board go bipolar (again) when Perry's flaws catch up to him at some point.

1537834913097.gif

Advertisement
It was the 2nd time he ever played. Give the kid a break. Malik has played in 25 games and continually made mistakes. Kosi has the goods
Got **** can the kid even get a couple starts first ?
My gosh, the guy makes a valid post and says what for us to look for when it comes to Perry’s cons and this is y’alls first thought? Clowns.

OP, there is a downside to getting a less than perfect ******* too, but I won't be critical about it.

You make some very valid points, and we all realize Perry is not perfect. Far from it actually. But the strengths he brings to the table faaaaaar outweigh his limitations.

Let's just ride with this kid and see how far he can take us.

I think to some extent, when dealing with a Fr or new player/starter, the failure to make progressions and/or tucking it to run too quickly can be attributed to nerves.

If you still see it going on in the 2nd, 5th, 10th start... then you have a problem.

Advertisement
What is there to defend? What OP posted is a legit topic that should be talked about. Either contribute or scroll pass the thread.
Bro let the kid play some of y’all are insane and over react to everything on here ... let him start a full 3 games before you critique him to all ****... people are short sighted on here they don’t point out the huge he made improvements from savanah st to the fiu game. Have you ever seen rosier make improvements from game to game ?

Looking forward to his first start on Thursday.

When you say "flaws catch up with him", do you mean plays within a game (like the sack on 4th and goal) or is that a statement of a limited ceiling for his potential?

within a game.

He just needs to not be a hero and trust his reads. Problem is the Oline is still unproven and he's not the type to stand in the pocket. He put the ball in harm's way a couple times but Harley made great plays. Against better teams he won't be able to get away with some of the things he did last week and I hope Richt continues to scheme quick throws early on.

His freelancing is a double-edged sword, but if he learns to channel it he could be very successful.

Curious at which throws bothered you?

Scrap out that one where he chunked it deep trusting his arm and got picked... what else you got?

How about the throw at 9:25 of the video...Right to Harley? DB read that all the way...

How about the throw at 10:15 right into blatant double coverage to Harley again?

How about the throw into obvious double coverage at the 7 yard line that Harley had to go get in the 4th?

How about another throw when he threw a dart into blatant double coverage in the end zone? And he had Harley open in the middle of the field?

That’s just off the highlight tape and memory. I’m sure if I go back in the FIU game and the Savannah St. game I’ll find more throws Mark shouldn’t have to tell Kosi not to throw. I’m not trying to downplay him or be a pessimist, it’s a legitimate concern. It’s one thing to be a gun slinger but it’s another to be really reckless.

Bro let the kid play some of y’all are insane and over react to everything on here ... let him start a full 3 games before you critique him to all ****... people are short sighted on here they don’t point out the huge he made improvements from savanah st to the fiu game. Have you ever seen rosier make improvements from game to game ?

Literally nobody is over reacting. This is a football forum, the guy ISNT ****ting on him or anything. Like I don’t get what the problem is to point out some things he done wrong or etc. of ******* course he needs to play more to get a better idea who he is as a QB but that shouldn’t stop people from critiquing.

Advertisement
So I'm supposed to be upset because Perry dipped out of the pocket, made an athletic play, picked up the first down, and finished off a TD drive?

Versus what, overthrowing a wide open player, that no one was within 20 yards of, on 3rd and 2 when he could've tucked and ran for the first down as well, then we punted for 19 yards to our own 41 yard line?

Spot on

Well put...

However, QBs make a lot of progress over the first couple games of live action. Also, working with the ones this week and knowing he's the starter can can bring on a higher level of focus in the QB room and on the field than he's has previously.

Let's see how he starts game two and responds to playing against better talent on a bigger stage. I think we'll know very quickly if he can play to his and the team's strengths.

Advertisement
Good analysis, I’ve seen some of the problems you mentioned. Let’s wait and see. Malik had his opportunity already. It is Perry’s turn now. Don’t forget We have Weldon and Williams competing for the job

I should have known that the BS was coming. Perry still hasn't started a game. Hopefully, with him starting, Miami will start the game with scoring drives. I'm sick of this slow start crap.

I'm happy to CMR are putting his recruits into his system. I'm pro Perry but Jarren gives me confidence in a few yrs. Next Man up.

Literally nobody is over reacting. This is a football forum, the guy ISNT ****ting on him or anything. Like I don’t get what the problem is to point out some things he done wrong or etc. of ******* course he needs to play more to get a better idea who he is as a QB but that shouldn’t stop people from critiquing.
Again I’m saying just chill tf out and give the kid a chance instead of jerking off with sandpaper to critique every little thing

Advertisement
Back