The Demise of The U

No commitment to football, no accountability, no prioritization, insufficient support resources, zero analysis, zero serious expectations, no plan, nada. It’s a clown show top to bottom.

“Who” are you referring to? The AD who hired Coker? The AD who hired Golden? The AD who hired Diaz? They all are different people working for different presidents.

Give me specifics. Why does the school underperform its budget?

Advertisement
“Who” are you referring to? The AD who hired Coker? The AD who hired Golden? The AD who hired Diaz? They all are different people working for different presidents.

Give me specifics. Why does the school underperform its budget?
I don’t want to presume what you know, but IMO if you have spent any time looking at institutions or cultures, you’d appreciate that their behavior is not just a function of an individual here or there. The consistency of the U’s failures, cluelessness, lack of priorities and care is obvious. Just as there are reasons why some countries and cultures underperform over time, there are reasons why the U’s football program has been stuck fail for ages. The institution doesn’t care, and doesn’t seem to have a clue how to go about doing the basics of professional management.

I don’t want to presume what you know, but IMO if you have spent any time looking at institutions or cultures, you’d appreciate that their behavior is not just a function of an individual here or there. The consistency of the U’s failures, cluelessness, lack of priorities and care is obvious. Just as there are reasons why some countries and cultures underperform over time, there are reasons why the U’s football program has been stuck fail for ages. The institution doesn’t care, and doesn’t seem to have a clue how to go about doing the basics of professional management.

What changed in the culture between hiring four straight great coaches and five straight duds?

Did the institution care more in the Foote era? They certainly didn’t spend more money.

Advertisement
What changed in the culture between hiring four straight great coaches and five straight duds?

Did the institution care more in the Foote era? They certainly didn’t spend more money.
Do you still use a rotary phone?

a LOT has changed in the world, and in our culture, and in CFB, and at UM. If you don’t see it, send me a telegram and I’ll explain it further.

Do you still use a rotary phone?

a LOT has changed in the world, and in our culture, and in CFB, and at UM. If you don’t see it, send me a telegram and I’ll explain it further.

You keep promising to explain things but never actually do it.

What changed at UM?

As an old timer, this moment, was the beginning of the end. I'll never forget it. The greatest athletic director in Cane history wisely stood in front of the city and it's fans shortly after Miami won the 1989 National title and pleaded for the city commission to return the favor and renovate the Orange Bowl. This was the moment where the future could have been secured for decades.

It fell on deaf ears.

Advertisement

What changed at UM?

The reality is, either there was a dramatic change institutionally during the Shalala Era of the school that has continued to plague the athletics department to this day OR we've always been a clown show and just had the most unprecedented string of good luck with Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, and Butch that will likely never be caught again.

Either way, there needs to be an evaluation top down where the priority of the athletics department ranks. Severely underfunded in the modern landscape in a multitude of modes to compete.

While we keep looking internally to our problems...I think most on this forum and in our fanbase just don't understand that College Football has changed and Miami really hasn't. The price of the brick went up and we can't hang and we can't afford to evaluate, recruit, fund an infrastructure or recruiting budget, our facilities are catching up to decade old amenities. We can't afford nor have the hindsight to find innovative coaches and staff members. We're just behind...and it doesn't look like we are doing anything to catch up. I don't call offering a larger HC salary and skimping on assistants to make up for it doing something to catch up. Miami doesn't have some homefield advantage anymore on the recruiting front in any way - we don't even have the edge on intel and now must recruit like everyone else in the region, if not more...being trash for long is damaging af and much like Texas or Tennessee or Nebraska...its tough getting out of the trash heap.

I am hopeful that we are always one coach away, but fearful no one in charge has the foresight to find one. The hires have been wildly uninspired and lazy.

I am hopeful that we are always one coach away, but fearful no one in charge has the foresight to find one. The hires have been wildly uninspired and lazy.

All of our coaches have been different. Coker was well-traveled but ran a loose ship. Shannon was strict but knew nothing outside of Miami. Golden was the ascendant mid-major coach who didn’t fit Miami. Richt was the established SEC coach with a 1993 offense. Diaz was supposed to be the forward-thinker.

The only consistent thread is that none of them were offensive innovators. That would be my focus. We have more than enough money to catch someone on the way up. Mullen and Leach begged for the job.

I will not believe it’s over to the extent that we can’t secure the freaking coastal on the reg. We do that, that puts us in the ACC Championship. We win that,we are in the playoff. I first want Miami to make the commitment to be the best in the coastal, then go from there.
We are the best in the coastal and can't win it....imagine when the talent level on the team dips when Manny has his slow kids we will never win it. Then on top of that the next HC has to entirely scrap that roster

Advertisement
The reality is, either there was a dramatic change institutionally during the Shalala Era of the school that has continued to plague the athletics department to this day OR we've always been a clown show and just had the most unprecedented string of good luck with Howard, Jimmy, Dennis, and Butch that will likely never be caught again.

Either way, there needs to be an evaluation top down where the priority of the athletics department ranks. Severely underfunded in the modern landscape in a multitude of modes to compete.

While we keep looking internally to our problems...I think most on this forum and in our fanbase just don't understand that College Football has changed and Miami really hasn't. The price of the brick went up and we can't hang and we can't afford to evaluate, recruit, fund an infrastructure or recruiting budget, our facilities are catching up to decade old amenities. We can't afford nor have the hindsight to find innovative coaches and staff members. We're just behind...and it doesn't look like we are doing anything to catch up. I don't call offering a larger HC salary and skimping on assistants to make up for it doing something to catch up. Miami doesn't have some homefield advantage anymore on the recruiting front in any way - we don't even have the edge on intel and now must recruit like everyone else in the region, if not more...being trash for long is damaging af and much like Texas or Tennessee or Nebraska...its tough getting out of the trash heap.

Facts

Shalallalala was a wolf in troll clothing

All of our coaches have been different. Coker was well-traveled but ran a loose ship. Shannon was strict but knew nothing outside of Miami. Golden was the ascendant mid-major coach who didn’t fit Miami. Richt was the established SEC coach with a 1993 offense. Diaz was supposed to be the forward-thinker.

The only consistent thread is that none of them were offensive innovators. That would be my focus. We have more than enough money to catch someone on the way up. Mullen and Leach begged for the job.
Thats a problem too. They are obsessed with hiring guys with miami ties. 5 of the last 6 coaches all had some type of tie to miami before becoming hc.

Four out of five were lazy Cane / former Cane Miami guy. The searches for these coaches were so short, it makes my head spin how little they likely did to come to those conclusions. This is in the midst of some very public interest from what would become much more successful coaches than anything we've done in that time.

Al Golden was the rare departure of this era of Miami football. Seemed a bit more calculated...just didn't work out. The next guy at Temple ended up getting a promotion and the guy after that is one of the hottest names in all of football in Matt Rhule, and the other just beat the **** out of us a few weeks ago...we just got a bad beat with that one, I think. Charge it to the game.

Advertisement
I believe one of our biggest obstacles today is failure to recognize the strategic difference between overwhelming talent and just better talent. Our admin and much lf this board thinks talent is a linear function, so if we have more, we should win. It aint like that. At all. At all. @DMoney. It’s a log function, in effect. Within range, talent is just something alongside skill, motivation, scheme, game plan and play calling. When talent is truly differentiated, your solution set works differently. But in a narrower band, it’s about other factors. We celebrate a few pros, a few prospects, and our history. And we keep failing. Because we fail to recognize the dynamic we actually operate in. Sorry to say that.

This.

We got good talent all around except offensive line.

We can win most of our games, but we have to do things the RIGHT WAY, starting with the coaching staff.

shot-my-first-turkey-today-scared-the-crap-out-of-20734242.png

What changed at UM?

3 of the 4 NFL coaches that you alluded to were hired when MIA was independent. Paul Dee hired Butch Davis, and also hired Randy Shannon. Before Davis left for the Browns MIA was prepared to make him a top 3 highest paid coach in CFB. While at the same time Randy Shannon when hired was one of the lowest paid coaches in P5, if not the lowest. So clearly we can see there was a culture shift within the university during that time as it pertained to spending on athletics. Simultaneously the CFB landscape during this time period also changed, and the gap between MIA and the other elite programs became even wider. This has essentially placed the university in a unique predicament where it no longer feels that championships are a worthwhile pursuit, and that the risks far outweigh the benefits. Furthermore conference affiliation, TV deals, & corporate sponsorships are only exacerbating that situation.

Finally..it is paramount to understand that budget constraints can make or break an AD or HC. I find it very hard to believe that either Cristobal or Orgeron would be able to replicate their current success at a place like MIA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back