The Demise of The U

Advertisement
From the article: "According to Butch, the Miami administration both micromanaged his program"

This can not be understated. This is what is really the root of the problem. The lemmings from the Shalala era are still there.

I'm not sure Butch ever worked for Shalala.

Credit to @CanesAreAble for this summary:

Duke and Wake Forest are objectively better programs than us over the past 15 seasons:

Miami
0 ACC titles
1 Division title
1 10-win season
2 bowl wins

Duke
0 ACC titles
1 Division title
1 10-win season
3 bowl wins

Wake Forest
1 ACC title
1 Division title
1 10-win season
5 bowl wins

WF won an ACC title?

Advertisement
It's over cfb to big of a money business for us to compete in
I will not believe it’s over to the extent that we can’t secure the freaking coastal on the reg. We do that, that puts us in the ACC Championship. We win that,we are in the playoff. I first want Miami to make the commitment to be the best in the coastal, then go from there.

The demise started the day Coker got hired. We were just blinded by talent back then. Talent Butch assembled.

Legitimately our bench was better than other top school’s starters. That’s how much talent we had and the moment that mind frame left, we just had talent on paper but the talent up stairs wasn’t there anymore.

Last edited:
Miami will NEVER die!! I'm a Cane Fan forever.

We just have a disease. We're like the alcoholic who is quickly approaching rock bottom.

Our problems can be solved IF we finally admit we have a problem with hiring good coaches....and do EVERYTHING it takes ( cleaning house AD & ALL current coaches) to avoid and not tolerate doing so again.

IF we don't accept that TOTAL ABSTINENCE is the only solution, we'll learn that rock bottom can always get lower.

We haven't started offering to suck ****s for drinks YET.....but the thought has crossed our minds..

It’s over, bruh

Advertisement
Miami will NEVER die!! I'm a Cane Fan forever.

We just have a disease. We're like the alcoholic who is quickly approaching rock bottom.

Our problems can be solved IF we finally admit we have a problem with hiring good coaches....and do EVERYTHING it takes ( cleaning house AD & ALL current coaches) to avoid and not tolerate doing so again.

IF we don't accept that TOTAL ABSTINENCE is the only solution, we'll learn that rock bottom can always get lower.

We haven't started offering to suck ****s for drinks YET.....but the thought has crossed our minds..

The problem is all the coaches have had a country club mentality. Truth be told, what happened w Butch, probably spawned our unnecessary contractual extension w Golden, since he “led us” through a probation period

I just need to know if that $206m renovation of the OB was really on the table & Shalala & Co. turned it down.

Advertisement
Eye opening synopsis of how we are what we are today. Many layers have contributed to the demise and the question remains "Can we ever return to those years of greatness?"

Very good article....

Remember that 40-3 loss to LSU like it was yesterday....If Canes football was a stock chart, that LSU loss was breaking through the trend line on the downside on huge volume....The first of too many humiliations the program would suffer in the ensuing 15 years....

I feel bad for the guys who weren't alive or were otherwise engaged and occupied during the late 70s and early 80s....The ramp up to one of the greatest 20 year dynasties in college football history....The ramp up was as exciting as the wind down has been deflating....

I was around in the 60s and early-mid 70s when the Canes sucked....I have been a Cane deep in my soul for more than half a century....

Regardless of the current morbidity and malaise surrounding the program....Win or lose, I have been and will always be proud to be a Canes fan and alum....
It was a dream of mine to attend the U but I was dealt a different hand. Other than not being an alum, you and I have had a similar experience with our beloved Canes. Many today never experienced those days in the 60's and 70's when Miami football was an afterthought.

I never dreamed we would rise to be the powerhouse we were in the 80's and 90's. Getting back there will take a monumental effort.

Honestly, as far as content, that's a poor article. Yeah, we have some ****** losses, but I think the apathy towards the program from the administration and the incompetence with which our AD is run is the biggest problems facing the program.

I truly believe our leadership doesn't care that the program isn't successful. That's why Miami football is DEAD.

Long live University of Coral Gables.

Advertisement
Honestly, as far as content, that's a poor article. Yeah, we have some ****** losses, but I think the apathy towards the program from the administration and the incompetence with which our AD is run is the biggest problems facing the program.

I truly believe our leadership doesn't care that the program isn't successful. That's why Miami football is DEAD.

Long live University of Coral Gables.

This was part 1; there’s a series that’s going to be on our fall from Grace.

True but the problem is deeper. Howard was the only good hire the school ever made and it betrayed him on the one promise he asked: campus stadium. JJ virtually insisted on being hired; they were not looking for him. Dennis was left a treasure trove of talent from the recruiting god pair of Butch and JJ. Once he had his own players he was just a guy who drank too much. They didn't so much as search for and pick Butch; everyone else turned them down and he was they only one who would take the job. Larry, well he was so bad that he only got on NC from the greatest treasure trove of recruiting talent ever(Urban would have got 4 straight).

Then the administration, under Donna got its act together and did much better job getting exactly the type of HCs it wanted, no longer taking any chances on make the mistake of finding a rising star. Judiciously avoiding the third mistake of letting recruiting god Butch near the holy grail of greentree and Miami talent, they gave us Randy, Al, a washed up Mark, and a never had business being DC Manny.

I was there for Howard's hire and the betrayal, tust me tese clowns never really wanted to win. Then the players ruined the bowtie little life the elites live by winning and destroy all in the way. It wasn't the winning that bugged them it was that the kids, especially black kids, did it despite them not because of them. See the chosen ones hate have their power denied but our kids just keep doing it. They finally got the man they wanted in Donna and she made sure they rebellion was crushed.

We don't need the administration to pick the right coach. We need them to pick the wrong one. One that looks like the loser they seek but turns our to be a JJ instead. We needed Golden to dump his ego, fire his friend and hire Butch as DC and recruiting czar or something like that. Our beloved school does not want another Howard, JJ or Butch so we need them to mistakenly hire one.

Nailed it, man.

Advertisement
Back