The ATM (8/4)

View as article
I'm so ecstatic with the huge emphasis on guy's in the trenches a spot we've neglected for years that I'm not worried about missing out on Andy Jean. Once these kid's see this offense rolling the stud WR's will come.

Advertisement
Last year's schedule was harder. Playing Bama anywhere is harder than playing any team we have this year. And our key conference games were on the road.
I don’t see it that way, but I understand. If we’re talking about high probability losses and teams that match or exceed our talent, last year had Bama matched by this year’s likely loss to Clemson. Sure, Bama’s probability of winning was higher than this year’s Clemson probability will be, but I’d expect an L.

Last year had a similarly talented (some might say we were more talented) matched MSU team (yes, they had better coaching) play us at home vs this year going away to a more talented TAMU team.

App State was better than this year’s crop, but those are games where we have a significant talent advantage and high probability of winning regardless (yes, they played us close because we suck and didn’t have coaching).

We had the away games at Pitt and UNC, but were at least as talented as both. This year, we have similar games we could drop either at home or away to Pitt, UNC, Virginia, or VT. If you grab the ‘win probability’ from each, I think it’s relatively close to last year.

Still think 9-3 is a very solid showing for us.

Lost me at excellent QB Max Johnson
Won't be in NYC in December for sure ... but he does have some experience ... it's not like he has no game experience. His stats are 313 / 523 for 59.8%; 3884 yards; 35 TD's and 7 ints. Haven't looked at his "big game" stats so no idea how padded those numbers are from easy games. Hoping Steele and his guys can get to him early and often, get 3 and outs, and put TVD on the field.

Advertisement
I don’t see it that way, but I understand. If we’re talking about high probability losses and teams that match or exceed our talent, last year had Bama matched by this year’s likely loss to Clemson. Sure, Bama’s probability of winning was higher than this year’s Clemson probability will be, but I’d expect an L.

Last year had a similarly talented (some might say we were more talented) matched MSU team (yes, they had better coaching) play us at home vs this year going away to a more talented TAMU team.

App State was better than this year’s crop, but those are games where we have a significant talent advantage and high probability of winning regardless (yes, they played us close because we suck and didn’t have coaching).

We had the away games at Pitt and UNC, but were at least as talented as both. This year, we have similar games we could drop either at home or away to Pitt, UNC, Virginia, or VT. If you grab the ‘win probability’ from each, I think it’s relatively close to last year.

Totally disagree. Clemson is not on the same level with Bama at this time. Not only do they have a bum QB, they lost both their Coordinators and regardless if they promote from within, they still do not have the same skills proven as the previous. UNC last season returned a proven QB and was at home, VT have a new staff, as does UVA. Pitt lost their 1st round QB and the best WR award winner in CFB. I may give you the talent point with TAMU and Mich St, yet TAMU is returning an inexperienced team....84th returning production in the nation.....we are #21 by comparison. So its really just rankings we are going by and they have lost 4 games in Jimbo's 3 outa 4 seasons. By whatever metric u choose to dig, last season's schedule was more difficult.

I love how some of us confuse a goal with a stretch goal. IMO, the goal should be improving upon a 7-win season with a better staff and growth from the holdovers from last year. With an understanding that there are holes on the team. So 8-9 wins should be the goal. The stretch goal is 10-12 wins. I don't know any entity, business or otherwise, where the expectation is the stretch goal.

Last year, Bama showed us, not only how large the talent gap was, but how vastly inferior our coaching staff and program in general was to the elites. That same talent is still here, albeit a year older and, hopefully, better (that's tbd), but the coaching and organizational components have been drastically improved. I don't expect that to translate into championship-caliber results immediately, but I do expect it to put the CFB world on notice.

I love how some of us confuse a goal with a stretch goal. IMO, the goal should be improving upon a 7-win season with a better staff and growth from the holdovers from last year. With an understanding that there are holes on the team. So 8-9 wins should be the goal. The stretch goal is 10-12 wins. I don't know any entity, business or otherwise, where the expectation is the stretch goal.

Last year, Bama showed us, not only how large the talent gap was, but how vastly inferior our coaching staff and program in general was to the elites. That same talent is still here, albeit a year older and, hopefully, better (that's tbd), but the coaching and organizational components have been drastically improved. I don't expect that to translate into championship-caliber results immediately, but I do expect it to put the CFB world on notice.
Yeah I feel like we say it all the time but every team has holes. Outside of Bama, UGA. Ohio St etc most everyone is jumbled up in a big bag behind them

A great coaching staff can make a huge difference

It’s been a glaring issue how every time we play a clearly more talented team, we basically get walked all over because we didn’t have coaches that could exploit any strengths/weaknesses

That’s what I want to see when we play Clemson and A&M this year. I’m not totally sure how much better they are than us since both programs have a lot of turnover but it hasn’t always been us losing that’s bothered me….it’s HOW we are losing

9-3 would be the best first year under a new coach matched only by richts first year at 9-4.

I think we win the home games and lose to Clemson and atm.

biggest question mark is how TVD looks under gattis and in year 2 as a starter. hes not surprising anyone this year. if hes the same or better in terms of performance, we hit double digits bc an elite QB can be the diff between an average to above average season and an elite one.

Advertisement
They have an excellent QB in their transfer ... Max Johnson. They have talent on that roster. A lot of pundits expect this to be Jimbo's break out season. But that's what they said about Richt's team when we went to play LSU.
All the talent they’ve brought in under jimbo is gonna pop sooner or later, it’s just their in a tuff division and having some bumps in the road

Advertisement
B
Richt’s first year is a good reason to be bullish on this year’s squad.

Went 9-4 with Cement Shoes Brad at QB.

Only reason we lost UNC and ND was because Richt was clinging to the under center offense. If he cuts Brad loose, we win 10 regular season games.

Richt, the tired coach coach on cruise control trying to be an oc. Baby Jorn pretending to be a D1 football coach. Donk riding, block first Dugans.

We got last year’s Broyle’s winner running this offense and one of the best, most complete young quarterbacks in the country.

Our head coach is seasoned, proven, and hungry. Most of all, he is competent. We may drop some flukes but it isn’t wishful thinking to predict 10 wins.
Block first Dugans. Bro. I am dying.

Hoping we make a serious pitch to Rodrick Pleasant. I think he’s open to playing in Florida. Him and Stafford would instantly upgrade the athleticism in that CB room to elite. Pleasant is a got **** blur on the field.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hoping we make a serious pitch to Robert Pleasant. I think he’s open to playing in Florida. Him and Stafford would instantly upgrade the athleticism in that CB room to elite. Pleasant is a got **** blur on the field.
LCE mentioned him I know we didn't make his top 4

I didn’t say we were going to suck, I didn’t say we were going to lose every game & I didn’t say we shouldn’t be optimistic & feel good about the future, I literally said the opposite...

All I suggested was to be a little reasonable & measured & somehow I’m the bad guy?

Yall are literally arguing against being reasonable, like think about that for a second...

😂😂😂
was it reasonable to think we'd take Clemson's AD?
was it reasonable to think we'd take Mario from Oregon?
was it reasonable to think we'd get Gattis off winning the Broyles award?
was it reasonable to think we'd get Strong as a LB coach?
was it reasonable to think we'd take Addae from Georgia?
was it reasonable to think we'd get Ponce to take a QB coach position?
Steele....
Jason Taylor...
Is it reasonable to think we'd be recruiting at this level this quickly?
on and on....

UM has been making reasonable hires, spending reasonable money and getting reasonable or less results for 2 decades. Time to think big.

You're usually on point and might be here too, but **** that noise. 15-0

Advertisement
Back