Thad Franklin is not hurt

Had a feeling this may have been the case. His footballville interview last year made me walk away saying he doesn’t love football. As a rb that’s a big time problem.
Not loving the game as a QB, where film and preparation are 80% of the battle is concerning. Not loving the game as a skill player isn’t a deal breaker. The light comes on for plenty of guys when they’re lining up against a different team. I guarantee you half of the guys in the NFL love the money, more than the game itself. That’s why so many guys drop off after that first big contract.

Im just tired of hearing about practice. As long as he isn’t missing or blatantly skipping drills or something, he is fine. We heard similar stories about GR15 and the freshman that are playing now. “Earning” playing time during practice is the easiest excuse a coach can use. Its to the point now, that it’s hard to believe.

Advertisement
Nowadays, some kids won't work hard until they get game reps. Plus, I can't trust the evals from this staph at all.

Knighton isn't built to carry the load yet. Gotta keep him healthy.

I think he’s the best pure runner out of all of them. Chaney has the highest upside due to physical tools.

this is a terrible take based on what we've seen from Rooster in ACC play. Kid is light years better at finding the hole and making people miss than anything Harris or Chaney have shown

this is a terrible take based on what we've seen from Rooster in ACC play. Kid is light years better at finding the hole and making people miss than anything Harris or Chaney have shown
I love the versatility Knighton brings, but the fanbase has a distorted view of him as a runner. He only averages 4.2 yards per carry on 122 career attempts. His size limits him between the tackles.

For comparison, the much-hated Cam Harris was at 5.8 this year and has never been below 5 in his career.

Advertisement
We can't move Brashad Smith to RB (short-term)
I honestly don't know what they're doing with Brashad. If he plays in one more game his redshirt is burned. He got ONE snap last game!!!! Lashlee is wasting his year. He's only got like 15 total snaps all year and has played in 4 games. That's mismanagement!!!

I love the versatility Knighton brings, but the fanbase has a distorted view of him as a runner. He only averages 4.2 yards per carry on 122 career attempts. His size limits him between the tackles.

For comparison, the much-hated Cam Harris was at 5.8 this year and has never been below 5 in his career.
People like to see RBs make cuts and evade tacklers. Knighton is very evident when he does that and it makes him more fun to watch.

I posted about this before. The YPC stat is misleading. Cam every now and then breaks off one huge run that distorts his average. Knighton passes the eye test. So does Chaney. You can even see flashes in Cody & Thad. I do think Cam has been the best at blocking though.

Not loving the game as a QB, where film and preparation are 80% of the battle is concerning. Not loving the game as a skill player isn’t a deal breaker. The light comes on for plenty of guys when they’re lining up against a different team. I guarantee you half of the guys in the NFL love the money, more than the game itself. That’s why so many guys drop off after that first big contract.

Im just tired of hearing about practice. As long as he isn’t missing or blatantly skipping drills or something, he is fine. We heard similar stories about GR15 and the freshman that are playing now. “Earning” playing time during practice is the easiest excuse a coach can use. Its to the point now, that it’s hard to believe.
I agree. My point was more around getting hit as often as you do as a back

Advertisement
Maybe they can whip Franklin into shape literally and figuratively, but I'm going with he shouldn't be here if his work ethic is STILL in question.

And maybe I'm in the minority but I thought Brashard was faster and more elusive. I'm glad he's getting a chance at returning kickoffs (and I think he's on the punt team also) but I don't know that he needs to be playing ahead of any of the WRs in front of him.

I posted about this before. The YPC stat is misleading. Cam every now and then breaks off one huge run that distorts his average. Knighton passes the eye test. So does Chaney. You can even see flashes in Cody & Thad. I do think Cam has been the best at blocking though.
But those still count and he does them a bunch. Knighton is a big-play runner, too.

What I like about Thad is that he has the talent to be a consistent 5-8 yard guy. We don't have that on the roster.

Would be nice to have a comfortable lead on GT so we can get some younger guys decent burn against P5 competition. But, ya know, we are Miami so this game will have us all in cardiac arrest the whole game!

The responses on this thread are what makes CIS what it is, a beautifully contradictory work of art.

There is currently another thread where people are ripping coaches because guys are supposedly not practicing hard and still getting PT.

Now on this thread there are guys saying Franklin should be getting playing time despite not practicing hard.

Makes me chuckle.

Advertisement
But those still count and he does them a bunch. Knighton is a big-play runner, too.

What I like about Thad is that he has the talent to be a consistent 5-8 yard guy. We don't have that on the roster.
Agreed. I just think if you looked into like the statistics of their runs, and standard deviations, bell curves, etc it may show Knighton as a better runner.

Another variable could be the O line each has played behind. Knighton strangely also eye-test looks to have better YAC and receiving yards. Idk if that's actually true or not statistically. I think it's like JD08 says, maybe we/they just like him more because of him being more fun to watch, idk.

Totally agree. Love the Rooster and the big-play potential, but definitely needs to be in a situation with a more physical back - hopefully Chaney - to compliment him. Running him between the tackles in short yardage or out of your own end zone is not his forte. Lashlee almost cost us a safety with the call against Pitt.

Anyone at fall
Practices or with connections told you all that Cody was ahead of Thad. Thad was rumored to be a little lazy and heavy, so he needs to continue to work.
Yeah we heard all that and more. Then he played and looked nothing like we had been told. Didn't look overweight, actually looked much quicker and shiftier than I expected.

Advertisement

Cam made a killing getting a lot of his yards against our preseason opponents and/or a big 80 yard run. He never burst into a gap, made anyone miss, or has a string of successful carries.

I see a lot more of Knighton’s runs being of the 4-8 yard variety and putting us in better down and distances. Not to mention all his numbers are against ACC comp. Six TDs in 3 starts all against ACC opponents.

The bigger issue isn’t whether he, anyone else on the team, deserves snaps or not. The biggest issue this team faces is a fundamental lack of communication. Whether real or perceived, there is a strong sentiment across the team that promises are made and not kept. Breakdowns in communication allegedly happen all the time. 🤷🏼‍♂️

From the limited film we have on Thad against CCS, he looks legit. His natural talent as a runner is clear, but if work ethic is an issue then that's concerning. He needs to live in the weightroom and work on his craft. With his frame and talent think he has an AJ Dillon type potential. However, I do think he is good enough to see the field now and get some carries.

Advertisement
Back