*sigh*

We've still got a ways to go, fellas. Completely out-classed on all levels tonight. Embarrassed on the big stage once again, after a bye week, after "earning" a top-10 ranking.

*Lashlee
RUNNING GAME - I don't know WTF I watched tonight. It's like he went back to his UAB playbook. We saw ONE running play tonight, Inside Zone. Clemson employed an "Odd Tite" front during most running downs, which has the DE's line-up just inside the Offensive Tackles, making it almost impossible to run Inside Zone. There was very little effort from Lashlee to employ different running concepts. (maybe some Outside Zone, Counter or Speed Option?)WR

PASSNIG GAME - Hardly saw any Air Raid concepts tonight, everything was vertical and outside, which as I eluded to all week, are the lower percentage throws. Where were the crossing routes? Hitches? Slants? Venerables just left his CB's one-on-one with our WR's and dared us to throw deep. And we did. Over and over and over again with zero success. By the way, our WR corps is the product of poor recruiting and evaluations. We might have the worst WR talent I've seen at Miami in all my years of watching Cane's football. Even during the previous regime, we at least had ONE guy who could take the top off of a defense. (i.e. Phillip Dorsett or Travis Benjamin) We don't have anybody out there right now that scares opposing DC's, which is probably why any defense that plays press-man coverage versus us has success, even the FIU's and Dukes of the world. A guy like Tutu would've been nice to have tonight.

*Baker
I actually thought Baker called a decent game for the most part. He kept things pretty simple, we didn't see too much gimmicky stuff, did a good job spying Lawrence at times. There were still some fundamental/alignment issues that led to big plays. On Etienne's long TD run, we had no "overhang" player to the weak side. We were short-numbered. Of course Clemson was gonna pull Guards and run that way! People were giving McCloud **** for that play, but that was too much to ask of him. At the end of the day we still need better players. It's no coincidence that our only players on defense who flash are the 4/5 star guys. We're gonna need more of those because I don't know how well our staff can actually DEVELOP lower ranked guys.
It also doesn't help that we shot ourselves in the foot plenty times via timely penalties. Carter is a fvckin' crash dummy.

*Recruiting
I know a lot of yall love the underdog 3-star "developmental" types but for the most part the only players that looked like they belonged on the same field as Clemson were our 4/5 star guys. Sorry, it is what it is. That doesn't mean 3-star kids can't be good and help your team, cause lord knows I've lobbied for a few local ones, but WE HAVEN'T RECRUITED THE RIGHT ONES AT ALL. I thought the game plans on both offense and defense were very simple tonight. When the game plans are simple, you're relying on talent. And when it doesn't work, it's a lot easier to notice the talent deficiencies. Watching our outside WR's fail over and over again to exploit man coverage makes it very easy to see. There's no scheme involved there, it's just talent versus talent. I mean, they couldn't even adjust to the football while it was in the air and the CB's backs were turned. None of our upperclassmen WR's will even see an NFL try-out IMO. Then watching Blades get beat on slants, drop a pick-6 and give up a man-to-man deep ball on 3rd & long makes us realize that it would be nice to have at least ONE of those elite local CB's that we've missed on over the last few years.

*Culture
Poorly coached teams with questionable culture always act like we do during adversity and/or losses. Trash talking while you're getting blown out, tons of unnecessary unsportsmanlike penalties, bone-headed plays during money downs that prevent your defense from getting off the field, etc etc etc. I mean, we've already had 39 unsportsmanlike penalties and our DE is trying to smack the ball out of Lawrence's hands while he's laying on the ground. Just dumb immature ****.
Don't forget, this is the same staff that threw a champagne party in the locker room after winning a close game to Western Michigan (or whoever it was) and allowed dancing on the sidelines during losses to GT and FIU.
No way around it, we are a corny bunch. We've come a long way since the days of "I AIN'T SCARED OF YOU *****" during the coin toss.
Maybe there needs to be less gimmicks and more substance going forward, cause right now we're that bully that likes to flex on inferior dudes but folds when the big dawg walks into the room. And that causes outsiders to thoroughly enjoy our losses.
WE SIMPLY DON'T LOOK LIKE A TEAM WITH A LOT OF CONTROL AT THE TOP. Just my opinion.

To sum it up, I think there's a talent difference between the rosters AND coaching staffs and tonight's blow-out loss is evidence of that.
A loss like this can't be blamed on just one thing.
Agree with most, but it is debatable that Baker called a decent game, although, decent doesn’t cut it against Clemson. I’m more concerned about the lack of discipline on D and that several players appeared ill prepared on D, especially the secondary.

Advertisement
We've still got a ways to go, fellas. Completely out-classed on all levels tonight. Embarrassed on the big stage once again, after a bye week, after "earning" a top-10 ranking.

*Lashlee
RUNNING GAME - I don't know WTF I watched tonight. It's like he went back to his UAB playbook. We saw ONE running play tonight, Inside Zone. Clemson employed an "Odd Tite" front during most running downs, which has the DE's line-up just inside the Offensive Tackles, making it almost impossible to run Inside Zone. There was very little effort from Lashlee to employ different running concepts. (maybe some Outside Zone, Counter or Speed Option?)WR

PASSNIG GAME - Hardly saw any Air Raid concepts tonight, everything was vertical and outside, which as I eluded to all week, are the lower percentage throws. Where were the crossing routes? Hitches? Slants? Venerables just left his CB's one-on-one with our WR's and dared us to throw deep. And we did. Over and over and over again with zero success. By the way, our WR corps is the product of poor recruiting and evaluations. We might have the worst WR talent I've seen at Miami in all my years of watching Cane's football. Even during the previous regime, we at least had ONE guy who could take the top off of a defense. (i.e. Phillip Dorsett or Travis Benjamin) We don't have anybody out there right now that scares opposing DC's, which is probably why any defense that plays press-man coverage versus us has success, even the FIU's and Dukes of the world. A guy like Tutu would've been nice to have tonight.

*Baker
I actually thought Baker called a decent game for the most part. He kept things pretty simple, we didn't see too much gimmicky stuff, did a good job spying Lawrence at times. There were still some fundamental/alignment issues that led to big plays. On Etienne's long TD run, we had no "overhang" player to the weak side. We were short-numbered. Of course Clemson was gonna pull Guards and run that way! People were giving McCloud **** for that play, but that was too much to ask of him. At the end of the day we still need better players. It's no coincidence that our only players on defense who flash are the 4/5 star guys. We're gonna need more of those because I don't know how well our staff can actually DEVELOP lower ranked guys.
It also doesn't help that we shot ourselves in the foot plenty times via timely penalties. Carter is a fvckin' crash dummy.

*Recruiting
I know a lot of yall love the underdog 3-star "developmental" types but for the most part the only players that looked like they belonged on the same field as Clemson were our 4/5 star guys. Sorry, it is what it is. That doesn't mean 3-star kids can't be good and help your team, cause lord knows I've lobbied for a few local ones, but WE HAVEN'T RECRUITED THE RIGHT ONES AT ALL. I thought the game plans on both offense and defense were very simple tonight. When the game plans are simple, you're relying on talent. And when it doesn't work, it's a lot easier to notice the talent deficiencies. Watching our outside WR's fail over and over again to exploit man coverage makes it very easy to see. There's no scheme involved there, it's just talent versus talent. I mean, they couldn't even adjust to the football while it was in the air and the CB's backs were turned. None of our upperclassmen WR's will even see an NFL try-out IMO. Then watching Blades get beat on slants, drop a pick-6 and give up a man-to-man deep ball on 3rd & long makes us realize that it would be nice to have at least ONE of those elite local CB's that we've missed on over the last few years.

*Culture
Poorly coached teams with questionable culture always act like we do during adversity and/or losses. Trash talking while you're getting blown out, tons of unnecessary unsportsmanlike penalties, bone-headed plays during money downs that prevent your defense from getting off the field, etc etc etc. I mean, we've already had 39 unsportsmanlike penalties and our DE is trying to smack the ball out of Lawrence's hands while he's laying on the ground. Just dumb immature ****.
Don't forget, this is the same staff that threw a champagne party in the locker room after winning a close game to Western Michigan (or whoever it was) and allowed dancing on the sidelines during losses to GT and FIU.
No way around it, we are a corny bunch. We've come a long way since the days of "I AIN'T SCARED OF YOU *****" during the coin toss.
Maybe there needs to be less gimmicks and more substance going forward, cause right now we're that bully that likes to flex on inferior dudes but folds when the big dawg walks into the room. And that causes outsiders to thoroughly enjoy our losses.
WE SIMPLY DON'T LOOK LIKE A TEAM WITH A LOT OF CONTROL AT THE TOP. Just my opinion.

To sum it up, I think there's a talent difference between the rosters AND coaching staffs and tonight's blow-out loss is evidence of that.

Macho, this is your best post on this forum.

*Lashlee

*Baker

*Recruiting

*Culture

@Coach Macho

I agree with you on almost every idea you have there.
Culture - I agree. I do think that some games you can go in rah rah puffed up chest thinking your the big dog, but at least when you're going up against the #1 team (who has been in the past 3 years, also been #1), just chill out and bring it in and don't play backyard ball. This is essentially an NFL game, so treat it the same way. My opinion is that, he's too much of a fan of the program that he's leading sometimes, and he's trying so dam hard to emulate what he saw growing up, just forgot the ground work that was laid and the beatings taken before we saw what was on the 30 for 30.

Lashlee - I think this is just a fundamental flaw in the up-tempo simple game plan he typically puts in. He mentioned prior to the season that if we can't get first down then we're just effing our defense, and that's kind of what happened. Spot on regarding out WRs, we need someone to do something on the outside, yikes. If you look back at the Gtech games when they had Johnson, this is essentially the front Diaz ran. IZ with two guys back side, both get untouched, one is responsible for the QB while the other goes heel-line of the OL after the RB. He waited too long to counter it with, with counter treys, cause we actually had an equal or good number in the box to run against. The run game is on Lashlee to be a little slow on the adjustment.

Baker - Probably he's best game yet to be honest. I was begging that sometimes he just dialed back his void pressure blitzes and leave the crossers and drags wide open, and he did. While Trevor Lawrence played well, he did look human, and ultimately penalties hurt, not so much the play calling.

I don't think we're that far off, just maaaaan, Etienne and Lawrence are studs, I mean they are NFL starters now, on a CFB team, when they leave this upcoming year at the same time, you'll see a drop off.
Just recruit and keep recruiting you're game and keep building.

You're opinion is great @Coach Macho. I think the culture thing can be cleaned up, relatively easily. The team isn't used to winning big games often, gotta celebrate it I guess. Manny is a pretty self-aware guy, so hopefully this gets reflected on. The biggest test is the problem with 1 loss turning in 3 or 4. This is the biggest disease in the program and if this gets cleaned up this year, I think we break away from the mediocrity of the ACC and we can be in that 2nd Tier of programs in the nation (i.e., this would exclude, Bama, Clemson, Ohio State and Georgia)

Spot on as usual bro @Coach Macho

There was a play early on. Where we played off coverage on #13 he was just uncovered pre-snap on trips. I just knew Lawrence was going to snap the ball and immediately go to him.

The alignments are still killing me.

We have both a talent and coaching issue it’s not one or the other IMO.

we fasho got a culture issue. Need to be one of those disciplined teams that just play tough.

You **** right about our 3 stars not being evaluated properly. But we definitely need to recruit better and as of now that’s only going to come from winning.

Fortunately we got a good 21 class. I’m hopeful we finish the season strong and show more top 100 kids that they’re the missing piece here at Miami. We need all the help

Good read good write up
Doesn't matter if we recruit top kids. It's a bad scheme period. Our OC **** the bed last night. He got his *** handed to him and he failed to adjust. Our defensive alignment is awful. guys too off the ball/ bail technique, underneath stuff was literally open on every play.

We are way too undisciplined. It's ridiculous at this point. #53 should get benched for a few games. He literally is a walking false start penalty waiting to happen. You can't keep allowing this. Manny will not win here. We are who I thought we are a 8-2 or 7-3 type of team.

Advertisement
Yea its really frustrating but I keep reminding myself that these guys are overpaid PE teachers.. Like I watched the games that matter and you can see hey, #9 is their guy, Sprint draw, delayed draw, Swing pass, Swing Screen, Screen, Wheel route, Jump pass, etc. They will get him the ball in any way possible, first half what is our game plan, same as always, leave flats open, we have one leg McCloud cover him on wheel route, when we did spy him and looked like we double him, Lawrence scrambles and fumbles.. We play like we just run base stuff and stick to it regardless of opponent.. Two weeks and you got Clemson running Oline stay still hike ball qb roll and let dline follow, throw back to TE play that they score on Dorito and Got Golden fired and they score again!

They got 1 week and they are calling out our plays, our checks, and every time seemed to have our reads down and all.. I said it after UAB when Manny was sooo surprised about them running a 4i tite front to get used to it because our next opponents will do it too, every week he says he is surprised they ran a different front defense.. We got a ways to go for big time.. If we think we can just come to game with a couple plays and out athlete clemson or play jamarr chase ball with freaking Harley, pope and Wiggins..

Covid really messed us up, Clemson was not gonna be on original schedule, we had some good competition like Wagner, temple, and UAB would look really good with weak *** coastal and wake forest cross over..
That **** right there.. The same **** over and over. Our coaches are basura! I am glad I didn't bet on this horse ****.

Doesn't matter if we recruit top kids. It's a bad scheme period. Our OC **** the bed last night. He got his *** handed to him and he failed to adjust. Our defensive alignment is awful. guys too off the ball/ bail technique, underneath stuff was literally open on every play.

We are way too undisciplined. It's ridiculous at this point. #53 should get benched for a few games. He literally is a walking false start penalty waiting to happen. You can't keep allowing this. Manny will not win here. We are who I thought we are a 8-2 or 7-3 type of team.

Lashlee definitely didn’t help the kids at all.

This we don’t belong stuff isn’t a good excuse anymore.

Lesser talented teams make it a game these days. It cannot be accepted as normal that our roster is that much worse than clemson’s.

It’s coaching.
Meh ... it was pretty evident the only position group we had better players was K/P

Advertisement

*Lashlee

*Baker

*Recruiting

*Culture

this is spot on.

as i stated in an earlier post. was at the game last night and sat with an NFL exec. will post thoughts and observations later tonight, but you hit a lot of that nail right on its head

*Lashlee

*Baker

*Recruiting

*Culture

Election 2020 Reaction GIF by Joe Biden

Only additional thing I can say is, thank goodness King is here.

One look at Perry and we have all the proof why this program is still a clusterf0k just as last year.

Really , it looks like, outside of King's individual talent, the offense is still as unproductive as the last 2 years

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree with everything you said coach. I would also like to add that this game was lost at the line of scrimmage. Whooped in a bad way.

There are plenty of plays that take tbose deep heaves off the table and scheme incerior talent open quickly.

Clemson is a multi championship team with tremendous talent.

They small balled and misdirectioned us like they were the inferior team.

Why?

Because that is championship offense. Keeping the defenze off balance with high percentave throws and taking your shots WISELY.

More than anything, THEY ARE UNPREDICTABLE ON 1ST DOWN!!!!!

****** programs use stats they dont understand to play recklessly on offense and Miami has done that bull **** a LONG *** TIME.

The talent gap between us and clemson is like the Hudson River.

The coaching gap is like the Pacific Ocean.
They're a championship offense because they have a sound strategy and play with discipline not because of talent. They did the same before Lawrence when Etienne was a freshman.

We started the game giving up 3rd down after 3rd down, Trevor L was 10/10 I believe. It was identical to when manny was DC in the ACCCG against Kelly Bum Bryant.

The defense is really unsound. We've seen this story for 6 years, not sure why anyone is surprised anymore. It looks great against inexperienced, untalented OL/QB/OCs. But if you go up against a team with talent that is well coached it's really easy to attack the **** out of our scheme. Been like this for Manny's whole career. It is what it is.

I think Diaz needs to hire a DC that runs a totally different system, let him bring in his guys, and focus on being a HC. This isn't like Kirby Smart taking over a team and using his proven, effective, decade long dominant style of defense. Diaz needs to move on from this system bc after 6 years, it's the same results against good teams.

There is a bit of recent results bias in these fears. I distinctly remember watching Clemson in 2013 getting FSU at home....there was great pageantry, the stupid busses, that hill, that rock...an ascending program was primed to beat FSU and stake a claim at the top of the ACC.

They got absolutely slaughtered at home.

Yet two years later they were in the national championship game after beating FSU.

Advertisement
Back