*sigh*

@Coach Macho
You think we don’t throw it short over the middle with slants and crossers because Clemson has grown men on the line and king is so short the ball would just get batted down?
I don't think Clemson's players are any taller than the other teams we play. Better, yes. But not any more prone to bat balls down.

Advertisement
Weird play calling from lashlee. I think he overthought it And was worried about turnovers and plays for loss. But we were not going to be them. They’re better all around.

I'm a Cover-3 "Match" guy. Invented by Saban/Belichick when they were with the Browns.
I like Zone/Man combo coverage. Forces smaller throwing windows.

Cover-3 always gets that Safety down in the box to help with the run game. Defends the middle of the field in the passing game, forces the offense to throw deep/outside.
That extra defender in the box also helps with defending a guy like Etienne in the passing game. Now you can drop a Safety down and have him cover Etienne on screens or routes instead of a Linebacker.

I would've gladly dared Sunshine to test us outside. Other than Ladson, I don't think their outside WR's are that good. They only completed one deep ball in one-on-one coverage, and that's when Ladson beat Blades on 3rd & long. (the one that Ladson dropped was versus a Cover-2 zone)
And on 3rd & long I likely wouldn't be in Cover-3 anyway.
Either way, forcing Clemson to go outside/deep is much better than allowing Sunshine to start 9-9 passing by nickel-and-diming us to death all the way down the field.

Regardless of what we call, it's our principles within the defense that are the problem IMO. The guys in our back-7 (LB's & DB's) just sit there in a zone and stare at the QB. That's why we always struggle to defend the intermediate passing game. You can steal 7-10 yard completions from us all day when we're in zone.

And that's never gonna change because that's who Manny/Baker are. They're not "match" coverage guys.

To not play pattern match zone in 2020 is criminal. Its pretty Much a standard way to play coverage at probably 90% of colleges, 50% of high schools now, and every NFL team for about 2 decades. smh 🤦‍♂️

I would've gladly dared Sunshine to test us outside. Other than Ladson, I don't think their outside WR's are that good. They only completed one deep ball in one-on-one coverage, and that's when Ladson beat Blades on 3rd & long. (the one that Ladson dropped was versus a Cover-2 zone)
And on 3rd & long I likely wouldn't be in Cover-3 anyway.
Either way, forcing Clemson to go outside/deep is much better than allowing Sunshine to start 9-9 passing by nickel-and-diming us to death all the way down the field.

Just an FYI, Clemson's best vertical threat at WR is sophomore Joseph Ngata from CA, who didn't play Saturday due to injury. He will be back in the mix soon. Also, Ladson dropped a touchdown on 3rd down early in the game. Factor in Clemson running out the clock at the Miami one yard line, and it could have easily been 59-10.

I can’t remember us attempting or completing one rhythm throw over the middle and all week we talked about how that was something we needed to execute
It's like that Graig Cooper is going to be lining up at WR line we use to hear.

Advertisement
Macho, great work in this thread, thanks for the breakdown. The loss was expected, but it was painful to see that we are a long way away from truly contending. I have no faith that Manny will be the guy to get us there

Which will require a new, seasoned AD to make the right call.
Alonso was very close to coming to UM and Blake knew his days were numbered and that is why Manny and Blake did not want Highsmith involved in the program. Zo had his future AD in mind and he was already in Coral Gables. Blake James has no idea what it takes to build a football program and his hires speak for themselves. The Ed Reed hire was nothing more than a PR stunt, Alonso Highsmith is on a different level.

Advertisement
We've still got a ways to go, fellas. Completely out-classed on all levels tonight. Embarrassed on the big stage once again, after a bye week, after "earning" a top-10 ranking.

*Lashlee
RUNNING GAME - I don't know WTF I watched tonight. It's like he went back to his UAB playbook. We saw ONE running play tonight, Inside Zone. Clemson employed an "Odd Tite" front during most running downs, which has the DE's line-up just inside the Offensive Tackles, making it almost impossible to run Inside Zone. There was very little effort from Lashlee to employ different running concepts. (maybe some Outside Zone, Counter or Speed Option?)WR

PASSNIG GAME - Hardly saw any Air Raid concepts tonight, everything was vertical and outside, which as I eluded to all week, are the lower percentage throws. Where were the crossing routes? Hitches? Slants? Venerables just left his CB's one-on-one with our WR's and dared us to throw deep. And we did. Over and over and over again with zero success. By the way, our WR corps is the product of poor recruiting and evaluations. We might have the worst WR talent I've seen at Miami in all my years of watching Cane's football. Even during the previous regime, we at least had ONE guy who could take the top off of a defense. (i.e. Phillip Dorsett or Travis Benjamin) We don't have anybody out there right now that scares opposing DC's, which is probably why any defense that plays press-man coverage versus us has success, even the FIU's and Dukes of the world. A guy like Tutu would've been nice to have tonight.

*Baker
I actually thought Baker called a decent game for the most part. He kept things pretty simple, we didn't see too much gimmicky stuff, did a good job spying Lawrence at times. There were still some fundamental/alignment issues that led to big plays. On Etienne's long TD run, we had no "overhang" player to the weak side. We were short-numbered. Of course Clemson was gonna pull Guards and run that way! People were giving McCloud **** for that play, but that was too much to ask of him. At the end of the day we still need better players. It's no coincidence that our only players on defense who flash are the 4/5 star guys. We're gonna need more of those because I don't know how well our staff can actually DEVELOP lower ranked guys.
It also doesn't help that we shot ourselves in the foot plenty times via timely penalties. Carter is a fvckin' crash dummy.

*Recruiting
I know a lot of yall love the underdog 3-star "developmental" types but for the most part the only players that looked like they belonged on the same field as Clemson were our 4/5 star guys. Sorry, it is what it is. That doesn't mean 3-star kids can't be good and help your team, cause lord knows I've lobbied for a few local ones, but WE HAVEN'T RECRUITED THE RIGHT ONES AT ALL. I thought the game plans on both offense and defense were very simple tonight. When the game plans are simple, you're relying on talent. And when it doesn't work, it's a lot easier to notice the talent deficiencies. Watching our outside WR's fail over and over again to exploit man coverage makes it very easy to see. There's no scheme involved there, it's just talent versus talent. I mean, they couldn't even adjust to the football while it was in the air and the CB's backs were turned. None of our upperclassmen WR's will even see an NFL try-out IMO. Then watching Blades get beat on slants, drop a pick-6 and give up a man-to-man deep ball on 3rd & long makes us realize that it would be nice to have at least ONE of those elite local CB's that we've missed on over the last few years.

*Culture
Poorly coached teams with questionable culture always act like we do during adversity and/or losses. Trash talking while you're getting blown out, tons of unnecessary unsportsmanlike penalties, bone-headed plays during money downs that prevent your defense from getting off the field, etc etc etc. I mean, we've already had 39 unsportsmanlike penalties and our DE is trying to smack the ball out of Lawrence's hands while he's laying on the ground. Just dumb immature ****.
Don't forget, this is the same staff that threw a champagne party in the locker room after winning a close game to Western Michigan (or whoever it was) and allowed dancing on the sidelines during losses to GT and FIU.
No way around it, we are a corny bunch. We've come a long way since the days of "I AIN'T SCARED OF YOU *****" during the coin toss.
Maybe there needs to be less gimmicks and more substance going forward, cause right now we're that bully that likes to flex on inferior dudes but folds when the big dawg walks into the room. And that causes outsiders to thoroughly enjoy our losses.
WE SIMPLY DON'T LOOK LIKE A TEAM WITH A LOT OF CONTROL AT THE TOP. Just my opinion.

To sum it up, I think there's a talent difference between the rosters AND coaching staffs and tonight's blow-out loss is evidence of that.
A loss like this can't be blamed on just one thing.
We have a talent gap in a few key areas. Mostly at WR with the starting 3. IDK what the younger guys have and I'd like to see more of them.

I think Sam Brooks needs starter minutes. He's clearly our most athletic LB. His game pops. Just like last year with Rousseau last year, we're playing upper classmen who are not as good as the guys below them. I think Brooks is goong tp be a star. He needs to be on the field.

My biggest issue besides the penalties was the game plan and lack of adjustments. I was very dissapointed with Lashlee. Could not understand why he kept trying to run the ball against a stacked box and being baited into a deep vertical passing game which we don't do well.

As bad as it was, we were 2 defensive penalties and 1 redzone interception from a 28-24 game. That is very encouraging IMO.

If we get a better game plan and adjustments from Lashlee, we can compete with Clemson. We'd probably not win, but the game would be competitive.

Weird play calling from lashlee. I think he overthought it And was worried about turnovers and plays for loss. But we were not going to be them. They’re better all around.
Yup - very disappointed in Lashlee's play calling. Where were the man to man beaters? He was content to chuck it deep when we got one on one. I get taking shots but when you are clearly outmatched vs their CB's its time to scheme something else up. No rub routes? shallow cross? Where were the screens and RB's out of the backfield? Didn't see much misdirection to take advantage of their aggression. Hoping this was just a bad game from Lashlee but he has simply got to be better. It seemed like we ran two plays, inside zone or chuck it deep down the sideline.

Advertisement
4:33 play with Jennings. When ET caught the ball he started upfield. Jennings took a false step inside, the tackle was then able to get hands on him (which was a block in the back btw) and ET just bounced it right outside of him. All Jennings had to do was continue running towards the sideline and ET would have had to cut it back into the defense.
Looking at this play again, not only was that a block in the back on Jennings, the WR tackled Bubba also

The lack of discipline is what bugs me the most about our team under Manny/Richt. You will never win big/close game with undisciplined football. The dumb flags, hitting guys that you know are going down or out of bound to get the "big hit". Which lead me to my most hated thing about Manny's teams. The gimmicks, take away the TD rings, all the **** talking after a TFL when you're down by 3 scores has got to go. They seem like they don't mind losing as long as they get a big play or 2. They get all pumped up after an ok tackle when the opposing team gets a first. I'm sorry but it starts at the top, there is no business like mentality outside a very very selective few. Until they stop with the look at me I made a tackle mentality we will never compete. You don't see the big Dawgs doing stuff like that it's big stop on to the next play. Same for the offense all the first down signaling when you're getting your *** beat? Really? I'm tired of it man, I love being a Miami fan but can't stand how we parade out there on the field. Hoping it gets fixed but most likely won't and will be Manny's down fall

I think Miami was out coached more than they were out athleted mainly Lashlee. He was basically a no call no show. No creativity on offense and he did nothing to exploit shiity players like that Nolan dude in coverage. I'll say this, you put any of our sorry ads wr's on the Clemson s they will defrost him every time. That guy is horrible in coverage **** other teams take advantage oh him every week and even last year.

And who the *** is in the press box box for maimi? They need to up grade that and get a better set of eyes up there. Clemson had Tony Elliot in the box. Who did Miami have? Some scrub GA and a quality control guy? Miami has co-dc and both guys are on the sideline? lmao

Advertisement
Only two that would start, Bolden and Brevin. Phillips maybe. Running backs would get some burn, but beyond that forget about it.

Phillips maybe??. They dont have a pass rusher currently with his talent.
Their safeties arent good so both of our guys would start there imo. Nesta would see time at DT...but they are pretty stacked around. This has been years of big time recruiting and development.

-I mean they currently have like 4-5 5 STAR recruits on their dl that are freshman or sophomores. We need to recruit to that level consistently on the lines. It appears we do a good job with DE's...we need A level DT recruiting like they have though

It starts from the top.
We have a feminist lawyer running the university, a former actress, and I doubt she cares much about football. She might act like she does, but it’s probable a facade. Only if some big money people who care about football put pressure and withhold money might it change.

Only two that would start, Bolden and Brevin. Phillips maybe. Running backs would get some burn, but beyond that forget about it.
You tripping. Don't think Miami doesn't have some players. Miami's coaching left a lot to be desired especially LaShlee

Let's watch some film...

0:18 - Frierson is too busy starring at the QB to cover the WR who's running an out-route right in front of his face. Goes back to why I hate the way we play zone. We're not a "match" concept, we stand in spots and stare at the QB. If Frierson "mans" this WR up as soon as he enters his zone, this isn't an easy pitch and catch. Lawrence could've throw to the slot up top too. Why are we playing zone on 3rd & 3 anyway?

0:30 - Easy RPO pitch-and-catch here. Lawrence is reading Frierson. If Fri comes down on the run, Lawrence pulls and throws.

0:41 - This is what happens when you play that pussified "catch man" **** that Manny/Baker employ. When you play a true hands-on press, the CB can disrupt screens like this. But watch Blades. He's backing up on the snap. Combine that with the fact that we have our Safety playing way off, it's easy pitch-and-catch again. And I don't know what Bolden is looking at/doing. He's not even reacting at all, just sitting there watching the play unfold. The old "keep everything in front of you" game plan.

1:08 - Really clever throwback screen by Clemson here. Imagination on offense. Refreshing.

1:39 - Clemson employs basically a 3-4 Under front here. Their LB slices inside of our TE and completely blows the play up. TE doesn't block a soul.

2:00 - 3rd & long. Clemson blitzes and basically plays Cover-0 and drops two DL into underneath zones. Miami's WR's run "sticks" routes versus off coverage and it's a nice conversion.

2:30 - 3rd & 10 and Clemson is playing Cover-1-Man and sending the house. King has to know this ball needs to come out quick. Just because you need 10 yards doesn't mean the ball has to be THROWN 10 yards. He should look to the shorter routes in this scenario, maybe he should've tried Jordan on the out (whip route).

3:04 - We're in man coverage but I don't know who's covering Etienne. McCloud maybe? They run a delayed RB screen and McCloud gets caught up with the O-linemen. I mean, that's just Clemson's OC scheming up nice ****. We didn't see any of this from Lashlee.

3:17 - Simply bad gap integrity by Phillips here, being a bit selfish. Once he peaks inside to make a play that probably isn't his responsibility, he gives up outside contain.

3:28 - This is what happens when you insist on staying in 2-high coverage versus an H-back formation and a running QB. You get out-manned on the weak side. I don't know where McCloud is going, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway because the pulling Guard probably would've blocked him regardless. Manny/Baker need to roll that weak Safety down into the box versus a formation like this. OC's love putting the H-back strong and running to the weak side. We're absolutely clueless to this, as if it isn't a staple of most spread offenses right now. I freakin' saw this SAME PLAY in my high school opponents like 4 times last season. Columbus runs the **** out of it. IF YOU DON'T ROLL THAT WEAK SAFETY DOWN IN THE BOX IT'S EASY PICKENS. Why the **** is our weak Safety so deep anyway? WTF is he protecting us from versus this particular formation?!

3:47 - Careless, selfish, just plain fvckin' stupid. You get great defensive coverage and a chance to get off the field, and you dive into a sliding QB. Absolutely ridiculous, inexcusable play. As his coach I would be fvckin' livid. Instead I'm sure Baker and Co patted him on the butt while Jalar Holley danced to cheer him up.

4:10 - Clemson runs double screens. Common spread concept. Lawrence has a choice of which one to throw. This is how bad we are on defense. Lawrence makes the wrong decision because the flare/bubble screen is there. But we're so out of position that he has time to COME BACK TO IT and it's STILL WIDE OPEN! Now here lies the problem. I want you to watch Jennings and Davis. Jennings is reacting strictly to the QB instead of the initial receiving threat to his side. He should be reacting to the screen that is taking place ON HIS SIDE OF THE FIELD rather than letting Lawrence toy with him. GO RUN OUT THERE AND CHASE THE BUBBLE! Let the defenders on the left side of the defense worry about THAT screen. Watch Davis as well. He's reacting to the QB instead of diagnosing what's in front of him and reacting. You see a bubble screen in front of you, get off the block and go get it. Don't freakin' wait for the ball to be throw, by then it's too late. Bolden is nowhere to be found on the screen as well. This defense is just way too passive and reactionary. Just badddd bad coaching and overall coverage principles. This play is really embarrassing when you think about it. Love the part where Bolden gets ran over and talks ****. SMH

4:33 - Clemson's OC utilized creativity and he has answers. We're in man coverage on 3rd & long. Brooks has Etienne man-to-man before the snap, but since Etienne crosses the formation it now means Jennings has him. Jennings gets caught up with the Lineman and fails to force Etienne back inside. Off to the races. Clemson's OC clearly understands that you don't have to THROW THE BALL 10+ YARDS to gain 10+ yards.

5:44 - Man coverage by Clemson and every route we're running has a vertical release. Who's supposed to be open here?

6:09 - 3 & 19 makes things tough. Look at the routes here. Everything vertical release and outside the hashes. Nothing threatening the middle of the field.

6:53 - WTF are we doing here? LOL. It's 3rd & 16! Why are we even in Cover-2? The vertical at the top of the screen was open too!

7:06 - Look at the loose coverage Jordan is getting at the top of the screen. If I'm King that's the first place I'm looking when all I need is 6 yards. Even with that said, the crossing route probably could've got us the first down too. But in a situation like this, against a defense that hasn't given you much time to sit in the pocket, take the quicker route. (which is Jordan)

7:34 - 3 & 8. We're blitzing and playing man coverage. Nothing wrong with that call, Blades just gets toasted by one of the many elite South FLA WR's that left home. Which brings me to a point - Ladson is another one of the kids that people on this site said "wasn't that good anyway" when he chose to go OOS. Can we finally stop with this ****? Ladson, Stevenson, Surtain, Campbell, Tutu, Elijah Moore, etc. Every time a kid chooses an OOS school the sour grapes crews always respond with "well he's overrated anyway", then the kid goes to college and balls out. NEWS FLASH: These schools are way fvckin' better than us at evaluating, recruiting and developing talent. They don't come down here and sign "overrated" kids. The Georgia/Clemson/OSU/Bama staffs deserve the benefit of the doubt way before our staff does in regards to finding talent.

8:11 - 3rd & 9 and we give up a 15 yard out-route. This is the same exact coverage we were in when we gave up the 4th & 17 to North Carolina. The deep-out to the slot WR is always open in this coverage. Smith can't cover that route with inside leverage. He's there to protect against the slant or any in-breaking route. I just assume Miami is willing to give up the deep out because it's a hard throw.

8:46 - 3rd & 8. Clemson blitzes and plays man coverage. All routes are vertical and outside the hashes. SMH

9:17 - 3rd & 13. Clemson runs a blitz that looks like it's from Manny's playbook. Again, every route is vertical. Wiggins has no ability to adjust to the ball. He could've made a play here but he's not savvy.

9:44 - Clemson runs a fake toss/pop pass. Very nice design and pretty much impossible to defend, especially when you consider that the WR/TE pretended to block. But look how much creativity we've already seen from Clemson's OC during this first half. We saw nothing like this from Lashlee tonight. WTF happened to the Lashlee we saw in the Louisville game?

10:12 - Look at the gap that is created here after our DT's stunt/slant to the left. The Center and playside Guard don't have anyone to block anymore so they just move up to our LB's. The play before this we played straight-up and stuffed them, but we just HAD to get antsy and call some cute ****.

This is getting exhausting and depressing. Perhaps I'll finish the second half later.

There was one play during the course of the game where one of our DE’s (can’t remember which one) ran straight up the field and essentially removed himself from the play. I cracked up watching the running back run right through that gap that our DE created on his own. The problem is, it’s probably what he’s being told to do. Get up field at all costs so we can boast those TFL and sacks if we get lucky enough to not run ourselves out of the play and get gashed (usually what happens). There’s gotta be a line in the sand where we say “hey we can be aggressive but still play sound football” but I’m not sure these amateur hour defensive coaches have any idea how to draw that line

Advertisement
Back