*sigh*

Advertisement
We've still got a ways to go, fellas. Completely out-classed on all levels tonight. Embarrassed on the big stage once again, after a bye week, after "earning" a top-10 ranking.

*Lashlee
RUNNING GAME - I don't know WTF I watched tonight. It's like he went back to his UAB playbook. We saw ONE running play tonight, Inside Zone. Clemson employed an "Odd Tite" front during most running downs, which has the DE's line-up just inside the Offensive Tackles, making it almost impossible to run Inside Zone. There was very little effort from Lashlee to employ different running concepts. (maybe some Outside Zone, Counter or Speed Option?)WR

PASSNIG GAME - Hardly saw any Air Raid concepts tonight, everything was vertical and outside, which as I eluded to all week, are the lower percentage throws. Where were the crossing routes? Hitches? Slants? Venerables just left his CB's one-on-one with our WR's and dared us to throw deep. And we did. Over and over and over again with zero success. By the way, our WR corps is the product of poor recruiting and evaluations. We might have the worst WR talent I've seen at Miami in all my years of watching Cane's football. Even during the previous regime, we at least had ONE guy who could take the top off of a defense. (i.e. Phillip Dorsett or Travis Benjamin) We don't have anybody out there right now that scares opposing DC's, which is probably why any defense that plays press-man coverage versus us has success, even the FIU's and Dukes of the world. A guy like Tutu would've been nice to have tonight.

*Baker
I actually thought Baker called a decent game for the most part. He kept things pretty simple, we didn't see too much gimmicky stuff, did a good job spying Lawrence at times. There were still some fundamental/alignment issues that led to big plays. On Etienne's long TD run, we had no "overhang" player to the weak side. We were short-numbered. Of course Clemson was gonna pull Guards and run that way! People were giving McCloud **** for that play, but that was too much to ask of him. At the end of the day we still need better players. It's no coincidence that our only players on defense who flash are the 4/5 star guys. We're gonna need more of those because I don't know how well our staff can actually DEVELOP lower ranked guys.
It also doesn't help that we shot ourselves in the foot plenty times via timely penalties. Carter is a fvckin' crash dummy.

*Recruiting
I know a lot of yall love the underdog 3-star "developmental" types but for the most part the only players that looked like they belonged on the same field as Clemson were our 4/5 star guys. Sorry, it is what it is. That doesn't mean 3-star kids can't be good and help your team, cause lord knows I've lobbied for a few local ones, but WE HAVEN'T RECRUITED THE RIGHT ONES AT ALL. I thought the game plans on both offense and defense were very simple tonight. When the game plans are simple, you're relying on talent. And when it doesn't work, it's a lot easier to notice the talent deficiencies. Watching our outside WR's fail over and over again to exploit man coverage makes it very easy to see. There's no scheme involved there, it's just talent versus talent. I mean, they couldn't even adjust to the football while it was in the air and the CB's backs were turned. None of our upperclassmen WR's will even see an NFL try-out IMO. Then watching Blades get beat on slants, drop a pick-6 and give up a man-to-man deep ball on 3rd & long makes us realize that it would be nice to have at least ONE of those elite local CB's that we've missed on over the last few years.

*Culture
Poorly coached teams with questionable culture always act like we do during adversity and/or losses. Trash talking while you're getting blown out, tons of unnecessary unsportsmanlike penalties, bone-headed plays during money downs that prevent your defense from getting off the field, etc etc etc. I mean, we've already had 39 unsportsmanlike penalties and our DE is trying to smack the ball out of Lawrence's hands while he's laying on the ground. Just dumb immature ****.
Don't forget, this is the same staff that threw a champagne party in the locker room after winning a close game to Western Michigan (or whoever it was) and allowed dancing on the sidelines during losses to GT and FIU.
No way around it, we are a corny bunch. We've come a long way since the days of "I AIN'T SCARED OF YOU *****" during the coin toss.
Maybe there needs to be less gimmicks and more substance going forward, cause right now we're that bully that likes to flex on inferior dudes but folds when the big dawg walks into the room. And that causes outsiders to thoroughly enjoy our losses.
WE SIMPLY DON'T LOOK LIKE A TEAM WITH A LOT OF CONTROL AT THE TOP. Just my opinion.

To sum it up, I think there's a talent difference between the rosters AND coaching staffs and tonight's blow-out loss is evidence of that.
A loss like this can't be blamed on just one thing.
Manny is who he is. You nailed it. He isn’t going to change who he is, so if we need a different culture we need a different cosch.

There is a bit of recent results bias in these fears. I distinctly remember watching Clemson in 2013 getting FSU at home....there was great pageantry, the stupid busses, that hill, that rock...an ascending program was primed to beat FSU and stake a claim at the top of the ACC.

They got absolutely slaughtered at home.

Yet two years later they were in the national championship game after beating FSU.
Let's see where we are in 2022. I don't think we will be much further than this. We should be Pitt, NC State, but we are still a mediocre program.

Advertisement
Did we call any screens? If we did, we didn't do it enough. Clemson was bringing the house and Lashlee didn't adjust at all. Pretty disappointing.
I was really surprised at Lashlee’s play calling. I thought we’d be able to score some points on them. He and Manny have stated the first 3 opponents came out with defenses they hadn’t seen and had to make quick adjustments. We didn’t see that last night.

Something I am seeing is all of our players try to be the guy to make the play. Sometimes you have to be the "assist" guy (the one who turns the ball back inside so one of your teammates can make the tackle). IDK if its a ego problem, or cohesion problem (players dont trust their teammates), or both.

2 plays you mentioned @Coach Macho that highlights this.

4:33 play with Jennings. When ET caught the ball he started upfield. Jennings took a false step inside, the tackle was then able to get hands on him (which was a block in the back btw) and ET just bounced it right outside of him. All Jennings had to do was continue running towards the sideline and ET would have had to cut it back into the defense.

3:17 play with Phillips. You pointed him out.

Another one is the ET long touchdown run. Besides the horrible form tackle, DJ whiffed because he tried to be the one to make the play instead of trusting his teammates. ET never deaccelerated, gave a head fake, or dead leg for DJ to throttle down the way he did. Once again, all Ivey had to do was keep running to the sideline and turn ET back inside. I dont buy that he didnt have any awareness of his teammates because the first rule when someone is running down the sideline is to turn him back in. That's what you do pursuit drills for.

Advertisement
There are plenty of plays that take tbose deep heaves off the table and scheme incerior talent open quickly.

Clemson is a multi championship team with tremendous talent.

They small balled and misdirectioned us like they were the inferior team.

Why?

Because that is championship offense. Keeping the defenze off balance with high percentave throws and taking your shots WISELY.

More than anything, THEY ARE UNPREDICTABLE ON 1ST DOWN!!!!!

****** programs use stats they dont understand to play recklessly on offense and Miami has done that bull **** a LONG *** TIME.

The talent gap between us and clemson is like the Hudson River.

The coaching gap is like the Pacific Ocean.

All that is true, and I agree, but how do you bridge that divide, if you don't know how to swim, sail, or fly?

I mean...

I was hoping we'd at least be competitive.
We weren't...at all.

Virginia put up a better fight.
That was all I wanted and the majority on here, too.

Picking your brain, Coach, what would you have done differently to hide or defensive deficiencies?

Coach Macho,

Why didn´t we attack the middle of the field...no slants or crossing routes whatsoever. also, very little WR screens...
Not true, I'm re-watching the game and Dee dropped a slant and the crossing route to Payton was nullified by Campbell being pushed into King while he was throwing the ball.

Advertisement
I mean...

I was hoping we'd at least be competitive.
We weren't...at all.

Virginia put up a better fight.
Virginia is a pretty well run operation with Bronco. Lack talent, but really solid fundamental coaching and the players respect the guy...one penalty (pass interference) all game. Had an offense that moved the ball on'em (25 first downs, over 400 yards of offense).

Its been so long since Miami got real, legitimate coaching on the sideline, the guys that put in real work Sunday to Saturday and get real improvement from their unit and where the room really respects that guy.

Advertisement
We didn’t run tempo the whole night. That’s the entire backbone of Lashlee’s system, and we just didn’t use it. Was weird, almost like Manny gameplanned to try to protect his defense by possessing the ball longer. Terrible gameplan.

@Coach Macho
You think we don’t throw it short over the middle with slants and crossers because Clemson has grown men on the line and king is so short the ball would just get batted down?

I will say that the only hope for this defense is to replace guys like Amari carter with tae, James Williams, kam, balom etc
And then replace guys like McCloud and Jennings with Brooks, huff, chase smith, cave, troutman, etc

But in my opinion a good coordinator on defense is very much a necessity. I don’t think baker develops into one and anything short of manny hiring Dan Quinn I don’t think fixes it. Manny will hire another yes man. Maybe even promote Banda lol

That was all I wanted and the majority on here, too.

Picking your brain, Coach, what would you have done differently to hide or defensive deficiencies?
I'm a Cover-3 "Match" guy. Invented by Saban/Belichick when they were with the Browns.
I like Zone/Man combo coverage. Forces smaller throwing windows.

Cover-3 always gets that Safety down in the box to help with the run game. Defends the middle of the field in the passing game, forces the offense to throw deep/outside.
That extra defender in the box also helps with defending a guy like Etienne in the passing game. Now you can drop a Safety down and have him cover Etienne on screens or routes instead of a Linebacker.

I would've gladly dared Sunshine to test us outside. Other than Ladson, I don't think their outside WR's are that good. They only completed one deep ball in one-on-one coverage, and that's when Ladson beat Blades on 3rd & long. (the one that Ladson dropped was versus a Cover-2 zone)
And on 3rd & long I likely wouldn't be in Cover-3 anyway.
Either way, forcing Clemson to go outside/deep is much better than allowing Sunshine to start 9-9 passing by nickel-and-diming us to death all the way down the field.

Regardless of what we call, it's our principles within the defense that are the problem IMO. The guys in our back-7 (LB's & DB's) just sit there in a zone and stare at the QB. That's why we always struggle to defend the intermediate passing game. You can steal 7-10 yard completions from us all day when we're in zone.

And that's never gonna change because that's who Manny/Baker are. They're not "match" coverage guys.

Advertisement
Back