Romberg discusses Corey Gaynor

I actually really like and am entertained by the bold predictions and "hot takes" from D$. It brings an awesome element to the board and the debates are healthy. The in-person version of those are hilariously entertaining. But, come on. There's no point in digging in on this 2017 Gaynor issue.

Whether Gaynor becomes him or not, BEFORE his True Frosh season, I remember mentions of Gaynor becoming KC Jones. That's a lot of f'in hype. Ha, I hope, but KC Jones was a full time starter by his RS Frosh Season. He was an All-Conference 1st team player by his RS Soph season. And, was later a 1st team AP All-American. D$'s openly been driving Gaynor's bandwagon for a long while. That's good. Gaynor's time is now. If it works out, nothing wrong with the fact he took a little longer than some expected. I look forward to seeing it on the field.

agreed, he was just wrong about Gaynor's ability to contribute early, hopefully he's ready NOW. with a new regime, we all benefit from "borrón y cuenta nueva . . . "

Advertisement
I'm confident he can be a solid player. However, if he was as good as Romberg claims he wouldn't have redshirted last year while our guards were literally getting launched across the field like Mahoney at UVA.
He was a bit on the small side when he came in, if i am not mistaken. So you can have all the ability in the world, but you got to have the requisite size.

I have a forward looking question, @LuCane @DMoney

How do you see the OLine for this season coming up?

The main thing is that they are young. There are no seniors, and Donaldson is the only junior in the mix. So 7 of the Top 8 guys are going to be here for a while.

My expectation is that they will be much better at the end of the season than the beginning. Gaynor and Scaife are the guys who need to stay healthy.

I guess we're glossing over that he was literally bullied at Paradise Camp.

Our OL's leader and resident tough guy. Get Jakai Clark ready.

Advertisement
When I saw this thread hit 5 pages, I guessed any number of things, but I was pleasantly surprised it was an old school D$ vs Lu debate.

I have a forward looking question, @LuCane @DMoney

How do you see the OLine for this season coming up?

There’s a pretty negative vibe from the posters in this thread after having read the original post/quotes from Romberg. Not exactly sure where that comes from other than past performance obviously.

I really don’t know what to think. Obviously I’m hoping for something much better than what we saw last year. But I have no idea. Your thoughts.
D$ and I are supposed to do a Pod together soon (was supposed to be last night, but things didn't align), so this is a subject we'll surely get into. To be clear, I think I'm a relatively poor judge of OL without watching them at length. I didn't play OL and I think it's one of those positions (like LB) where nuance plays a significant role. So I prefer to watch a lot of them before I give any kind of observation.

Like you, I tend to wait longer to make predictions or to offer views. I think we have so many variables right now that it's impossible to really say. On the Pod, I'll talk about what i *am* excited about and why i have *some* hope. It's reasonable for anyone to be concerned when we have, at most, 3 players (Scaife, Donaldson, Gaynor) I feel are entrenched, and some of those guys aren't even fixed to a position yet!

Having professional coaching between spring and fall practices will definitely improve their skills. Also having Rommberg throwing different scenarios at will better prepare them for games.

Interesting comments below from Romberg. I've been a Gaynor fan for a while and believe he is the key to the OL. Everybody suffered when he went down in spring:

“You know who did that for me? The leader of the offensive line, Corey Gaynor,” Romberg said. “He told kids ‘shut up, we got a legend here’”

“I love this kid,” Romberg said. “I'm not gonna lie to you, I liked him two years ago when he came out of high school, and his highlight video was sick, like to the point where I've never seen anything like it as an offensive lineman. Nasty crazy. Then I went to paradise camp and, and some of the current players were there and they were kind of treating him poorly. Like he was the the whipping boy, like he was the butt of every joke. I grabbed him and I said, Hey, man, don't let this be something that's a common place situation. I know you're a nasty dude and I know you'll probably punch somebody in the mouth if they say something wrong to you. Don't let some of these older guys treat you the way that they're treating you right now because everybody else is watching them treat you like a whipping boy. Don't let that happen. Nip that in the bud.

“Even the coach was doing it. Like the coach was always walking over and hitting him on the head with the paper like you dummy. You big dummy. And I was like [to Gaynor], stop that now. If you're going to be the player that I know you can be, don't let them do that to you right now. Make sure you stop this and I was being dead serious.”

“He got redshirted last year and he was a little humiliated, very similar to my situation after my first year I played and I redshirt my second year,” Romberg said. “I was like, look, man, I went through it too. I didn't want anybody around me, I didn't want my family around me because there was no point in coming down to the to the stadium. I didn't want to see what my games because I wasn't playing I felt like a nobody. I know it's a little heartbreaking as a player to come in and play and then they want you to redshirt your second year, but I was like look, the next three years of your life are going to be something real special. I think you're so **** good that if you have a good couple years here, you probably bounce in your junior year. That's all going to be your decision but for right now, you need to get this thing right.”

“He's really the coach when the coach is not there,” Romberg said. “Which is awesome for a kid becoming a sophomore this year. A redshirt sophomore, your leader? He's the guy that's telling you what to do? He's the badass and the tough guy. I'm in on Corey Gaynor and I think everybody else should be too who is a Canes fan—to really be in on Corey Gaynor."

THAT is some bad *** **** right there. Atta boy Rom.

I support anything that will bring the nasty out of our OL.

UM

Advertisement
source.gif
Previous coach
1564078009584.gif

D$ and I are supposed to do a Pod together soon (was supposed to be last night, but things didn't align), so this is a subject we'll surely get into. To be clear, I think I'm a relatively poor judge of OL without watching them at length. I didn't play OL and I think it's one of those positions (like LB) where nuance plays a significant role. So I prefer to watch a lot of them before I give any kind of observation.

Like you, I tend to wait longer to make predictions or to offer views. I think we have so many variables right now that it's impossible to really say. On the Pod, I'll talk about what i *am* excited about and why i have *some* hope. It's reasonable for anyone to be concerned when we have, at most, 3 players (Scaife, Donaldson, Gaynor) I feel are entrenched, and some of those guys aren't even fixed to a position yet!

Baptism by fire on 8/24.

I’m the same regarding my knowledge base on OL play.

I’m just curious as if there is any consensus, or if there can be any consensus, as to what we think the Oline is going to look like and perform like in 2019. Obviously it’s a tall order, my guess is that’s probably one of the hardest things to predict about a football team. But I think it has been an area of weakness, and one which I know we all want, and feel like, for the team to be successful needs to have some significant improvement.

The main thing is that they are young. There are no seniors, and Donaldson is the only junior in the mix. So 7 of the Top 8 guys are going to be here for a while.

My expectation is that they will be much better at the end of the season than the beginning. Gaynor and Scaife are the guys who need to stay healthy.

Honestly, my concern is 8/24, I do agree they should be better at the end of the season. I’m highly concerned about what they’re going to be like four weeks from now

The fact that we had any oline with a potential heartbeat on the roster that were red-shirted kinda blows my mind. and shows the lack of ability that Serals had as a coach. the only positive is that Gaynor has a extra year to learn from a coach that knows what he is doing, instead of that moron. If i was Gaynor i would see it as a gift.
In hind sight, it probably was. But last year, seeing how **** poor our line was, and him being asked to redshirt instead of contribute, I can see how it could affect his confidence.

Advertisement
LuCane and DMoney both bringing strong arguments. This should be the next podcast, Lincoln-Douglas style

I'm confident he can be a solid player. However, if he was as good as Romberg claims he wouldn't have redshirted last year while our guards were literally getting launched across the field like Mahoney at UVA.
Not sure you can make that claim though. That's the same argument people use against Jarren "if he was that good, he would've won the job last year". The previous staff just seemed ****-bent on playing upperclassmen as much as possible.

As long as Enos doesn't game play and play call like we have a dominant offensive line, we'll be OK. Part of being a good coordinator is understanding your weaknesses and game planning around them. There's a ton of ways to mask a so-so line. Lining up in the same formation and running the same plays over and over (ala Richt) isn't one of them.

Advertisement
As long as Enos doesn't game play and play call like we have a dominant offensive line, we'll be OK. Part of being a good coordinator is understanding your weaknesses and game planning around them. There's a ton of ways to mask a so-so line. Lining up in the same formation and running the same plays over and over (ala Richt) isn't one of them.
This and all of this..

Last year or the year before D$ had Jason Fox on a pod cast. He had some interesting observations from a lineman's point of view. Given the state of the line, you should see if he can join in provide some perspective and insight into markers for their development and up coming match ups.

........Everybody worried about S, CB, LB & DT, but OL imo is waaaay more worrisome & much bigger concern for the season. I believe they'll be improved due to Coach Barry's teaching & Enos's scheme overall, but we need a big jump from them in play this year.

The OL has to become a strength for this team if we plan on winning 10 games this year.

All of this

Also, if you had to pick right now who do you think it would be as LT?

LT - Scaife/ Nelson
LG - Donaldson/ Traore
C - Gaynor/ Kennedy
RG - Reed/ Hillery
RT - Campbell/Herbert

Or

LT - Nelson/Campbell
LG - Donaldson/Traore
C - Gaynor/ Kennedy
RG - Reed/ Hillery
RT - Scaife/ Herbert
I'd go with the top option against the Gaytors. I don't want a true freshman starting his very first game at LT against them. If it's not working we can mix it up, of course.

Advertisement
Back