Romberg discusses Corey Gaynor

wtfs.gif

Advertisement
Reading it Seems like Our OL upperclassmen had zero leadership qualities, and quite frankly no ball sack. Searles too. Glad there is a NM.

Except he did make a start, and would have started more games if Searels didn’t go to Mahoney. Nobody said he was going to start 13 games and make All-Conference as a freshman.

The move to Mahoney surprised me. I am glad that mistake has been rectified.
Ok, sure, we'll keep going. Listen, your hype on Gaynor was off in 2017. He struggled. He lost his "job" to a weak player (Mahoney) based on his own play as a true freshman playing perhaps in a system that didn't suit him. Not because the coaches were picking on him. It's on the film. His one start and subsequent struggles do not match the expectations you and a few others laid out for him prior to that season. It's not the end of the world to say he didn't meet the expectations created for him as a true Frosh. Let's see if we can keep this going for another month. I'm excited about Gaynor's impact on the 2019 OL, but rather talk about his hype from 2017. Much more substantive for sure.

No, he wasn't. Plainly. Because he wasn't starting and was actually struggling, which was totally normal for a true Frosh. But, this now fails to add anything useful to the board. So, I'll refrain from wasting any more time.

Maybe I missed it. Who the **** was hyping a 2* recruit based off those HS highlights? I think you guys are overstating the term “hype”. I don’t ever remember anyone hyping this kid to the point where he should have even been graded at all on any level his first year. You guys are grading and evaluating his freshman year like he was a top 100 recruit. Anything he gave that year should be considered icing on cake.

I hope the board doesn’t do Zion Nelson the same way. I can see it slowly happening with all the “hype” coming out of Spring about him. Let’s remember he was an undersized, 2* recruit that came out of nowhere and is carving himself a role. Anything of positive value he can give should be seen as a bonus and not overly criticized

Advertisement
Maybe I missed it. Who the **** was hyping a 2* recruit based off those HS highlights? I think you guys are overstating the term “hype”. I don’t ever remember anyone hyping this kid to the point where he should have even been graded at all on any level his first year. You guys are grading and evaluating his freshman year like he was a top 100 recruit. Anything he gave that year should be considered icing on cake.
What? My entire point, then and now, was the hype of Gaynor establishing himelf as a starter in 2017 should have been walked back a little. I didn't find it reasonable that a true Frosh with some clear physical limitations at the time would come in and kick *** the way he was being talked about doing. In real life, he didn't. And, what he did offer (which was basically as an alright contributor) more closely matched what I'd have expected from the true Frosh center. You're basically agreeing with my entire point.

I hope the board doesn’t do Zion Nelson the same way. I can see it slowly happening with all the “hype” coming out of Spring about him. Let’s remember he was an undersized, 2* recruit that came out of nowhere and is carving himself a role. Anything of positive value he can give should be seen as a bonus and not overly criticized
You should better understand the debate before you start making things up and putting words into people's mouths. No one is making up the hype some gave to Gaynor as a true Frosh. No one is using the word "hype" in a vague way. In 2017, Gaynor was "hyped" as someone who'd come in and establish himself as a legit starter by at least season's end. It didn't happen, as was/is not a surprise (and shouldn't have been). He was a true Frosh!

What happens AFTER that point is a totally different thing altogether. He's now in his 3rd year in the program and will hopefully be playing under a legitimate system that better suits his style. If someone wants to hype him up now, by all means. I look forward to watching.

I'm confident he can be a solid player. However, if he was as good as Romberg claims he wouldn't have redshirted last year while our guards were literally getting launched across the field like Mahoney at UVA.

Maybe, it's a fair point.

But it's also fair to speculate that the incompetency we had on the coaching staff running all facets of the offense the last few years was Pat Nix-ish.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the O line. I'm a believer that the perception of an O line's play is correlated to the competency of the offensive system. When the route trees are good and the offense attacks all parts of the field....the ball tends to come out faster.....opposing safeties tend to back up....and everything looks better.

Not because the coaches were picking on him. It's on the film.

Are Searels’ other bizarre personnel choices on the film? When I watch last year’s games, I struggle to find a reason why Mahoney and Jones were playing over Boulware, for example.

Nobody hyped Gaynor as an All-American from Day 1. He was doing exactly what I expected for half the season. Then Mahoney took his spot. I did not expect that.

Maybe it was because Mahoney was better. But after watching Mahoney for two years, and remembering how easily Gaynor beat him out as an 18-year-old in camp, I no longer give Searels the benefit of the doubt. I think he knee-jerked for experience.

The good thing is Searels and Mahoney are gone and Gaynor is our center.

Advertisement
Are Searels’ other bizarre personnel choices on the film? When I watch last year’s games, I struggle to find a reason why Mahoney and Jones were playing over Boulware, for example.

Nobody hyped Gaynor as an All-American from Day 1. He was doing exactly what I expected for half the season. Then Mahoney took his spot. I did not expect that.

Maybe it was because Mahoney was better. But after watching Mahoney for two years, and remembering how easily Gaynor beat him out as an 18-year-old in camp, I no longer give Searels the benefit of the doubt. I think he knee-jerked for experience.

The good thing is Searels and Mahoney are gone and Gaynor is our center.
You're doing some of your typical moves. Picking out very short sentences in broader posts/points and arguing points I didn't make.

You didn't hype Gaynor as an All-American as a True Frosh, true. You hyped him as someone who'd be far more effective than he was and would establish himself as a starter. As a true Frosh. It was more of a hot take, I thought. Some of us suggested for that to be walked back because, after all, he was a true Frosh Center without a package of elite physical attributes. And, instead of 16 posts back and forth, it'd have been a lot cleaner to just be like "ya, i expected more of him that year and it didn't happen." I don't think Searles knee-jerked in 2017. I think Corey showed some struggles because of all the zone calls and Mahoney looked like a better option in 2017.

We agree on everything else and we both look forward to what he can do now, as an older player in a presumably more legitimate system with a less bizarre OL coach.

You're doing some of your typical moves. Picking out very short sentences in broader posts/points and arguing points I didn't make.

You didn't hype Gaynor as an All-American as a True Frosh, true. You hyped him as someone who'd be far more effective than he was and would establish himself as a starter. As a true Frosh. It was more of a hot take, I thought. Some of us suggested for that to be walked back because, after all, he was a true Frosh Center without a package of elite physical attributes. And, instead of 16 posts back and forth, it'd have been a lot cleaner to just be like "ya, i expected more of him that year and it didn't happen." I don't think Searles knee-jerked in 2017. I think Corey showed some struggles because of all the zone calls and Mahoney looked like a better option in 2017.

We agree on everything else and we both look forward to what he can do now, as an older player in a presumably more legitimate system with a less bizarre OL coach.

it is difficult to swallow bold predictions that later failed.

Advertisement
Bottom line is we aren't gonna know what the line looks like until we hear some practice rumblings and of course the all important 1st game.

I don't know what Berry and Enos are gonna do but I'm sure of this, any weaknesses we have on the line will be masked by Enos gameplan. I feel more better knowing we have an offensive coordinator and not Searls coaching the line

Yep. Even if there are struggles, as long as the qb is accurate, we will be ok.

The rhythm Enos uses the play action in keeps defenses off balance and opens the run.

Even when facing overwhelming talent and getting the run stuffed, the playaction gets lbs and safeties out of position and opens the passing game.

We just need the guys to hang in and not consistently whiff or completely rag dolled.

Do that, we will get the yards and points we need, regardless if some battles are lost.

You're doing some of your typical moves.

I’m not going to go down this road, so you can have the last word after this post.

The OP was a quote from our last All-American center hyping up Gaynor. You then made a negative reference to me hyping Gaynor. I stand by my hype, and I’m glad Romberg is on the Gaynor bandwagon.

During camp in 2017, I said that Gaynor would be our sixth lineman and establish himself as a starter by the end of the season. He broke camp as our sixth linemen, started at two positions but ultimately lost his job by the end of the year. So that part of the prediction was clearly wrong.

But the subsequent decline of our OL, along with the moves Manny has made since then, tells me not to put much stock into what Searels did.

Advertisement
it is difficult to swallow bold predictions that later failed.
I actually really like and am entertained by the bold predictions and "hot takes" from D$. It brings an awesome element to the board and the debates are healthy. The in-person version of those are hilariously entertaining. But, come on. There's no point in digging in on this 2017 Gaynor issue.

Whether Gaynor becomes him or not, BEFORE his True Frosh season, I remember mentions of Gaynor becoming KC Jones. That's a lot of f'in hype. Ha, I hope, but KC Jones was a full time starter by his RS Frosh Season. He was an All-Conference 1st team player by his RS Soph season. And, was later a 1st team AP All-American. D$'s openly been driving Gaynor's bandwagon for a long while. That's good. Gaynor's time is now. If it works out, nothing wrong with the fact he took a little longer than some expected. I look forward to seeing it on the field.

I’m not going to go down this road, so you can have the last word after this post.

The OP was a quote from our last All-American center hyping up Gaynor. You then made a negative reference to me hyping Gaynor. I stand by my hype, and I’m glad Romberg is on the Gaynor bandwagon.

During camp in 2017, I said that Gaynor would be our sixth lineman and establish himself as a starter by the end of the season. He broke camp as our sixth linemen, started at two positions but ultimately lost his job by the end of the year. So that part of the prediction was clearly wrong.

But the subsequent decline of our OL, along with the moves Manny has made since then, tells me not to put much stock into what Searels did.
I was trying to give you the last word 8 posts ago. This was a pointless debate to me. If the bolded portion had been the first response to my comment about Gaynor getting too much initial hype, I'd have nodded and moved along without even noticing.

I have a forward looking question, @LuCane @DMoney

How do you see the OLine for this season coming up?

There’s a pretty negative vibe from the posters in this thread after having read the original post/quotes from Romberg. Not exactly sure where that comes from other than past performance obviously.

I really don’t know what to think. Obviously I’m hoping for something much better than what we saw last year. But I have no idea. Your thoughts.

Advertisement
Back