Romberg discusses Corey Gaynor

I'd go with the top option against the Gaytors. I don't want a true freshman starting his very first game at LT against them. If it's not working we can mix it up, of course.
I don't like the idea of a true freshman starting his first career game potentially lining up against an NFL prospect, 5th year Sr, and probably UF best defensive player in Zuniga.

Advertisement
I don't like the idea of a true freshman starting his first career game potentially lining up against an NFL prospect, 5th year Sr, and probably UF best defensive player in Zuniga.
Absolutely not. I wasn't sure if Zuniga lines up across the LT, but given that he does I think that answers the question.

Greenard had 15.5 TFL and 7.0 sacks in 2017.

We're facing the best pass rushing duo we'll see all season on 8/24 imo.

You should better understand the debate before you start making things up and putting words into people's mouths. No one is making up the hype some gave to Gaynor as a true Frosh. No one is using the word "hype" in a vague way. In 2017, Gaynor was "hyped" as someone who'd come in and establish himself as a legit starter by at least season's end. It didn't happen, as was/is not a surprise (and shouldn't have been). He was a true Frosh!

What happens AFTER that point is a totally different thing altogether. He's now in his 3rd year in the program and will hopefully be playing under a legitimate system that better suits his style. If someone wants to hype him up now, by all means. I look forward to watching.

I am understanding your point and disagreeing. I don't think he was hyped and if he was by whom? Peter Ariz? Lol. His highlight tape of him bulldozing guys? Again, I know exactly what the argument is. And I am disagreeing that Gaynor was hyped in any way. If anything, we were wondering why the **** a TF even needed to be playing on the OL.

All of this

Also, if you had to pick right now who do you think it would be as LT?
Scaife or Nelson.

With how good Nelson has been I wouldn't be shocked if he was a starter this year, I don't think he'll start at LT & would be worried if he was game 1 but I think eventually he takes over at some point.

I'd be perfectly good with him at RT even as a TF, in fact if John Campbell doesn't win the RT spot I hope it's Nelson, I'm not as high on Herbert as everyone else is. Herbert is going to struggle vs speed rushers in the ACC.

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing how it shakes out this fall.

Advertisement
LT - Scaife/ Nelson
LG - Donaldson/ Traore
C - Gaynor/ Kennedy
RG - Reed/ Hillery
RT - Campbell/Herbert

Or

LT - Nelson/Campbell
LG - Donaldson/Traore
C - Gaynor/ Kennedy
RG - Reed/ Hillery
RT - Scaife/ Herbert

We've been focusing on QB most of the offseason, but the OL battles in Fall camp imo will be the most important, there's so many question marks & multiple scenarios that could play out.

Those are my 2 guesses for the Line, I could be completely wrong, those just my guesses.

Everybody worried about S, CB, LB & DT, but OL imo is waaaay more worrisome & much bigger concern for the season. I believe they'll be improved due to Coach Barry's teaching & Enos's scheme overall, but we need a big jump from them in play this year.

The OL has to become a strength for this team if we plan on winning 10 games this year.
Who is Traore?

Scaife or Nelson.

With how good Nelson has been I wouldn't be shocked if he was a starter this year, I don't think he'll start at LT & would be worried if he was game 1 but I think eventually he takes over at some point.

I'd be perfectly good with him at RT even as a TF, in fact if John Campbell doesn't win the RT spot I hope it's Nelson, I'm not as high on Herbert as everyone else is. Herbert is going to struggle vs speed rushers in the ACC.

Good god at Nelson being a potential starter. Smh. I am starting to see why when McKinnie was asked what guys in the OL room had NFL potential he scoffed and murmered quietly under his breath that "#55 had potential at G" but that was it. Jesus where are guys like Herbert??

Advertisement
George Brown, Tommy Kennedy busting and Evan Neal not coming really set us back at OT. It might take some time for us to get a true OT in here again. McKinnie didn't seem very impressed with the talent level in the room. Smh.

George Brown, Tommy Kennedy busting and Evan Neal not coming really set us back at OT. It might take some time for us to get a true OT in here again. McKinnie didn't seem very impressed with the talent level in the room. Smh.
Big Facts. Also recruiting a guy like Tre Johnson doesn't help. Venzell Boulware leaving is also a big blow that kinda flies under the radar.

Advertisement
I am understanding your point and disagreeing. I don't think he was hyped and if he was by whom? Peter Ariz? Lol. His highlight tape of him bulldozing guys? Again, I know exactly what the argument is. And I am disagreeing that Gaynor was hyped in any way. If anything, we were wondering why the **** a TF even needed to be playing on the OL.
That's inaccurate. Some people, not just D$ (or Peter Ariz), hyped him up. Perhaps partly based on these type of Camp reports/comments (see attached). If you'd like, you can look through a good amount of comments on old threads backing up the hype and excitement.

Now, that you may not have agreed with the "hype" about Gaynor is a different thing altogether. We must've been in the same boat. I was more reserved about what he'd produce as a true Frosh. After all, he was merely a true Frosh without the standout attributes.
corey gaynor becomes kc jones.png

That's inaccurate. Some people, not just D$ (or Peter Ariz), hyped him up. Perhaps partly based on these type of Camp reports/comments (see attached). If you'd like, you can look through a good amount of comments on old threads backing up the hype and excitement.

Now, that you may not have agreed with the "hype" about Gaynor is a different thing altogether. We must've been in the same boat. I was more reserved about what he'd produce as a true Frosh. After all, he was merely a true Frosh without the standout attributes.View attachment 91065

Fair enough. I can accept that.

You couldn't argue with his HS highlight tape. He had attributes you cant teach. (motor, nastiness, mean streak) A lot of OL that came through here the past few years who were 4* didn't have those traits and they left here as players who will be forgotten about. (Trevor Darling among others)

Gaynor can be a really good one if he puts it all together. 3rd year in the program. Its time.

No, you can actually teach that. Athletic talent is what you can't teach. Being a leader you can't teach. But being mean & nasty, w/a motor can be taught as long as the player accepts it. Actually, just like the story Romberg shared.

Advertisement
Scaife or Nelson.

In a world where we had good depth, Scaife would play guard, his natural position, and be a potential All-American. Still hoping there is someway this happens. I don't think he'll play RT, it's either LT or LG this year.

As great as it was that he helped out, his standards are obviously going to be high. Idk how much he was considering where they each are in their development, his eval experience, etc. I appreciate honesty and whatever he wants to say when he's working with them is one thing, but he's not being paid to coach, he should attempt to be positive best he can especially when speaking publicly afterwards imo. Maybe he was, and people are just dissecting everything he said. But again hats off to him taking the time to help out no doubt.

I'm with everyone that having these connections with former players and the program is great and should be encouraged, but there is a give and take between the program and the former players that needs to be understood by each side. I'm sure Manny and the players will make it work. Everyone knows it's all about what's best for the U.

Ha. Come on, D. Gaynor wasn't close to what was hyped going into 2017. Citing a random start without the struggle he later experienced isn't going to strengthen the argument. He was clearly outplayed by Mahoney that season, which is scary having now seen 2018. I get the RS thing and the wild mismanagement by previous staff, but the scope of these comments is what was expected of Gaynor coming into 2017.

Back before 2017, we had some (citing Pete) saying Gaynor's ability pushed out Linder. There are even old threads debating whether Gaynor would be a starter or a backup. Let's just hope he's solid now. He should definitely look better given different OL blocking schemes and play calls. I don't think he could previously pull off some of the reach blocks in our zone calls, but I'll let someone who knows more about OL comment better than I can.
Acting like a True Frosh OLineman playing in multiple games and starting in one is somehow not living up to the hype is just strange, especially for a kid that was a 3* coming out of HS.

Unless you saying that because some idiot was on here hyping him up and saying he was going to be an all-american as a true frosh OL....I think the fact he saw the field so much was proof he lived up to the hype.

Advertisement
Back