Romberg discusses Corey Gaynor

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
Interesting comments below from Romberg. I've been a Gaynor fan for a while and believe he is the key to the OL. Everybody suffered when he went down in spring:

“You know who did that for me? The leader of the offensive line, Corey Gaynor,” Romberg said. “He told kids ‘shut up, we got a legend here’”

“I love this kid,” Romberg said. “I'm not gonna lie to you, I liked him two years ago when he came out of high school, and his highlight video was sick, like to the point where I've never seen anything like it as an offensive lineman. Nasty crazy. Then I went to paradise camp and, and some of the current players were there and they were kind of treating him poorly. Like he was the the whipping boy, like he was the butt of every joke. I grabbed him and I said, Hey, man, don't let this be something that's a common place situation. I know you're a nasty dude and I know you'll probably punch somebody in the mouth if they say something wrong to you. Don't let some of these older guys treat you the way that they're treating you right now because everybody else is watching them treat you like a whipping boy. Don't let that happen. Nip that in the bud.

“Even the coach was doing it. Like the coach was always walking over and hitting him on the head with the paper like you dummy. You big dummy. And I was like [to Gaynor], stop that now. If you're going to be the player that I know you can be, don't let them do that to you right now. Make sure you stop this and I was being dead serious.”

“He got redshirted last year and he was a little humiliated, very similar to my situation after my first year I played and I redshirt my second year,” Romberg said. “I was like, look, man, I went through it too. I didn't want anybody around me, I didn't want my family around me because there was no point in coming down to the to the stadium. I didn't want to see what my games because I wasn't playing I felt like a nobody. I know it's a little heartbreaking as a player to come in and play and then they want you to redshirt your second year, but I was like look, the next three years of your life are going to be something real special. I think you're so **** good that if you have a good couple years here, you probably bounce in your junior year. That's all going to be your decision but for right now, you need to get this thing right.”

“He's really the coach when the coach is not there,” Romberg said. “Which is awesome for a kid becoming a sophomore this year. A redshirt sophomore, your leader? He's the guy that's telling you what to do? He's the badass and the tough guy. I'm in on Corey Gaynor and I think everybody else should be too who is a Canes fan—to really be in on Corey Gaynor."

Advertisement
Then I went to paradise camp and, and some of the current players were there and they were kind of treating him poorly. Like he was the the whipping boy, like he was the butt of every joke.
“Even the coach was doing it. Like the coach was always walking over and hitting him on the head with the paper like you dummy. You big dummy.

source.gif

Advertisement
You couldn't argue with his HS highlight tape. He had attributes you cant teach. (motor, nastiness, mean streak) A lot of OL that came through here the past few years who were 4* didn't have those traits and they left here as players who will be forgotten about. (Trevor Darling among others)

Gaynor can be a really good one if he puts it all together. 3rd year in the program. Its time.

Interesting comments below from Romberg. I've been a Gaynor fan for a while and believe he is the key to the OL. Everybody suffered when he went down in spring:

“You know who did that for me? The leader of the offensive line, Corey Gaynor,” Romberg said. “He told kids ‘shut up, we got a legend here’”

“I love this kid,” Romberg said. “I'm not gonna lie to you, I liked him two years ago when he came out of high school, and his highlight video was sick, like to the point where I've never seen anything like it as an offensive lineman. Nasty crazy. Then I went to paradise camp and, and some of the current players were there and they were kind of treating him poorly. Like he was the the whipping boy, like he was the butt of every joke. I grabbed him and I said, Hey, man, don't let this be something that's a common place situation. I know you're a nasty dude and I know you'll probably punch somebody in the mouth if they say something wrong to you. Don't let some of these older guys treat you the way that they're treating you right now because everybody else is watching them treat you like a whipping boy. Don't let that happen. Nip that in the bud.

“Even the coach was doing it. Like the coach was always walking over and hitting him on the head with the paper like you dummy. You big dummy. And I was like [to Gaynor], stop that now. If you're going to be the player that I know you can be, don't let them do that to you right now. Make sure you stop this and I was being dead serious.”

“He got redshirted last year and he was a little humiliated, very similar to my situation after my first year I played and I redshirt my second year,” Romberg said. “I was like, look, man, I went through it too. I didn't want anybody around me, I didn't want my family around me because there was no point in coming down to the to the stadium. I didn't want to see what my games because I wasn't playing I felt like a nobody. I know it's a little heartbreaking as a player to come in and play and then they want you to redshirt your second year, but I was like look, the next three years of your life are going to be something real special. I think you're so **** good that if you have a good couple years here, you probably bounce in your junior year. That's all going to be your decision but for right now, you need to get this thing right.”

“He's really the coach when the coach is not there,” Romberg said. “Which is awesome for a kid becoming a sophomore this year. A redshirt sophomore, your leader? He's the guy that's telling you what to do? He's the badass and the tough guy. I'm in on Corey Gaynor and I think everybody else should be too who is a Canes fan—to really be in on Corey Gaynor."

Needs to move to guard imho.

honestly, these quotes the last few days from Romberg and Mckinnie have gave me even less hope for this oline. really wish they would have started these sessions right after spring.

romberg said they were lost af when he threw them diff scenarios but said its bc theyre mostly doing basic stuff with a new offense and new OL coach (scares me bc UF is 4 weeks away)

Advertisement
Some members on this board put me on to Gaynors HS tape and I've been a fan ever since. He seems like one of those guys that turns into a different dude on the field. Nasty. Mean.

From what I've seen he just seems like that cool white boy that can hang with any crowd. I guarantee none of the players joke around with him when that helmet is strapped up. And as far as tge coaches f*cking with him, hopefully that's them trying to flip his switch. He's probably our best college olineman.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Short term Romberg's observations are troubling to say the least, as are McKinney's.

With that said, you can't fix the problem long term if you don't ruthlessly approach what has been and continues to fail today.

OL might be worse than we thought for Gators, wind up better by end of season.

I'm confident he can be a solid player. However, if he was as good as Romberg claims he wouldn't have redshirted last year while our guards were literally getting launched across the field like Mahoney at UVA.

Advertisement
Back