Romberg discusses Corey Gaynor

Are Searels’ other bizarre personnel choices on the film? When I watch last year’s games, I struggle to find a reason why Mahoney and Jones were playing over Boulware, for example.

Nobody hyped Gaynor as an All-American from Day 1. He was doing exactly what I expected for half the season. Then Mahoney took his spot. I did not expect that.

Maybe it was because Mahoney was better. But after watching Mahoney for two years, and remembering how easily Gaynor beat him out as an 18-year-old in camp, I no longer give Searels the benefit of the doubt. I think he knee-jerked for experience.

The good thing is Searels and Mahoney are gone and Gaynor is our center.
I never understood the boulware thing. Every time he was in the game the line looked much better. Smh

Advertisement
He lost the "6th lineman job" to Mahoney. It wasn't all some coach bias, either. Tell us he wasn't a great fit for some of their blocking schemes or he was too young. All that is fine. But, in obvious spots, Gaynor visibly struggled on the field in 2017. Again, that was normal for a True Frosh back then, and is the whole point of saying he was overhyped as someone who'd come in and establish himself as an immediate starter. Not sure how or why this is even a debate. It already played out.

The hope is he is now, as a RS Soph, ready to go as a full-time starter and a better fit (i think so) for the running scheme we're about to trot out.
This is twice I saw you mention a new running/blocking scheme. I don’t recall reading that. Are we going away from the zone blocking scheme?

This is twice I saw you mention a new running/blocking scheme. I don’t recall reading that. Are we going away from the zone blocking scheme?
From what I've seen of Enos in the past, I expect some power run game options, so... pure speculation, really. If we run a ton of zone plays, I expect to see some issues with Gaynor getting there.

Advertisement
I don’t think redshirting Gaynor had as much to do with Mahoney being better than him it just had to do with what was best for his future. Probably wasn’t much better (if at all idk) than Mahoney last year so why waste a year of eligibility on the younger guy? He needed a year to get stronger and adapt to the speed of the game and we all knew that. Had he played 4 straight years with no RS he would’ve been a lost cause and never hit his potential.

A year off to focus on strength and he’ll probably have 2 All-Conference caliber years. I don’t think this will be one of them but hopefully he’s serviceable at the least.

Advertisement
What happened?

he bounced. he was on vacation but decided to leave the show. im assuming that he got sick of being an independent contractor and waking up at like 3 am to do the show (the show sucks anyways outside of tobin).

edit: seems like maybe he was fired? idk why they would just get rid of him tho. that show is drowning with amber and Zaslow

Advertisement
Back