Romberg discusses Corey Gaynor

He was our sixth lineman as a true freshman, and they even tried to carve out playing time at FB to get him on the field. Of course he was going to struggle at times, given his age. My expectation, which remains, is that he ends up being a longtime starter who peaks as a captain/All-Conference type.

Obviously, Searels had more faith in Mahoney. I never agreed with it, and Manny obviously didn't considering that he pushed Mahoney out. Give me Gaynor's power and mentality over Mahoney's athleticism and weakness.
He lost the "6th lineman job" to Mahoney. It wasn't all some coach bias, either. Tell us he wasn't a great fit for some of their blocking schemes or he was too young. All that is fine. But, in obvious spots, Gaynor visibly struggled on the field in 2017. Again, that was normal for a True Frosh back then, and is the whole point of saying he was overhyped as someone who'd come in and establish himself as an immediate starter. Not sure how or why this is even a debate. It already played out.

The hope is he is now, as a RS Soph, ready to go as a full-time starter and a better fit (i think so) for the running scheme we're about to trot out.

Advertisement
Not sure how or why this is even a debate. It already played out.

It ultimately played out with Manny picking Gaynor over Mahoney. Which should have been the choice all along. Gaynor struggled like any young lineman but he also sprung some big runs. He played in 10 games and was on the field for key moments (such as the FSU comeback). It was an unusual amount of playing time for an unheralded true freshman OL.

The next year, Searels made the bizarre decision to go all-in with Jones and Mahoney. I complained about it on our preseason pod and it turned out to be a disaster. I would've liked to keep Mahoney as a backup C, but the fact that Manny pushed him out tells me a lot about his priorities at the position.

He was our sixth lineman as a true freshman, and they even tried to carve out playing time at FB to get him on the field. He played in ten games, which is a ton for someone his age.

Of course he was going to struggle at times. My expectation, which remains, is that he ends up being a longtime starter who peaks as a captain/All-Conference type.

Obviously, Searels had more faith in Mahoney. I never agreed with it, and Manny didn't either considering that he pushed Mahoney out. Give me Gaynor's power and mentality over Mahoney's athleticism and weakness. He should have never started at Miami, and Gaynor should have never redshirted.

power? he was nasty, but certainly not powerful. he needed time to increase his strength.

It ultimately played out with Manny picking Gaynor over Mahoney. Which should have been the choice all along. Gaynor struggled like any young lineman but he also sprung some big runs. He played in 10 games and was on the field for key moments (such as the FSU comeback). It was an unusual amount of playing time for an unheralded true freshman OL.

The next year, Searels made the bizarre decision to go all-in with Jones and Mahoney. I complained about it on our preseason pod and it turned out to be a disaster. I would've liked to keep Mahoney as a backup C, but the fact that Manny pushed him out tells me a lot about his priorities at the position.

Any word on how Mahoney is doing at BC? They tend to churn out some decent lineman.

Advertisement
Short term Romberg's observations are troubling to say the least, as are McKinney's.

With that said, you can't fix the problem long term if you don't ruthlessly approach what has been and continues to fail today.

OL might be worse than we thought for Gators, wind up better by end of season.

We have 4 weeks to fix this... we shall see.
This level of teaching and input from our past players can be a plus as the season wears on and minds are frayed.
Grateful for their commitment!

Jesus, D. This feels like you digging in when you could have just said "yeah, overhyped at the time (2017)." Manny picked an older version of Gaynor in 2019 over a player we all know was a subpar interior lineman (Mahoney). Whatever happened after that 2017 season is outside of the scope of saying Gaynor was overhyped as someone who'd come in and take a starting spot.

Bottom line is we aren't gonna know what the line looks like until we hear some practice rumblings and of course the all important 1st game.

I don't know what Berry and Enos are gonna do but I'm sure of this, any weaknesses we have on the line will be masked by Enos gameplan. I feel more better knowing we have an offensive coordinator and not Searls coaching the line

Advertisement
Wild to say our hopes for the OL hinges on Gaynor being good, he can be a part of for sure, but nothing that Romberg said looks promising.

I'm confident he can be a solid player. However, if he was as good as Romberg claims he wouldn't have redshirted last year while our guards were literally getting launched across the field like Mahoney at UVA.
Don’t forget who the coaching staff was the last 3 years. The same staff that didn’t play Berrios on offense at all his junior year!

This feels like you digging in when you could have just said "yeah, overhyped at the time (2017)."

He was doing exactly what I "hyped" him to do for the first half of the season. His playing time reflected his camp performance. After that, Mahoney stepped into that role. My view is that Mahoney never should have played. I still believe that. Gaynor is now our starter, and Mahoney left town.

The upside is we hopefully get three years of Gaynor with Barry.

He was doing exactly what I "hyped" him to do for the first half of the season. His playing time reflected his camp performance. After that, Mahoney stepped into that role. My view is that Mahoney never should have played. I still believe that. Gaynor is now our starter, and Mahoney left town.

The upside is we hopefully get three years of Gaynor with Barry.
No, he wasn't. Plainly. Because he wasn't starting and was actually struggling, which was totally normal for a true Frosh. But, this now fails to add anything useful to the board. So, I'll refrain from wasting any more time.

Advertisement
Anybody remember if the team released any testing numbers this past spring? I don't remember seeing any. I'd love to know what his were.

Advertisement
No, he wasn't. Plainly. Because he wasn't starting and was actually struggling, which was totally normal for a true Frosh

Except he did make a start, and would have started more games if Searels didn’t go to Mahoney in the middle of the year. Nobody said he was going to start 13 games and make All-Conference as a freshman.

The move to Mahoney surprised me. I am glad that mistake has been rectified.

Advertisement
Back