Romberg discusses Corey Gaynor

Advertisement
I'm confident he can be a solid player. However, if he was as good as Romberg claims he wouldn't have redshirted last year while our guards were literally getting launched across the field like Mahoney at UVA.
Mahoney was getting bullied vs fsu too. That's when they finally decided to move donaldson back inside.

Advertisement
Gaynor I was excited about; Dykstra, not at all.

I think Gaynor will be just fine b/c he has a nasty, mean streak. Don’t care how good u can be, if u got incompetent coaches ******** u over, u’ll lose confidence.

It appears we had more problems w that staph than we could imagine.

Gaynor better be nasty because he's going to have to make up for his lack of athleticism with tenacity. He's tested pretty poorly across the board but makes up for it with instincts and scrappy play. I think he's one of those guys who may never be great but he gets the job done and you're glad you have him on your team.

Said it back when he was being overly hyped (at one point some said he'd start as a True Frosh) and repeating it now. I rarely trust the "intangible" and opinion-based comments ("he's nasty!", "X coach is pumped about him") and rely more on how attributes are likely to carry over to the field. Like others have said, he's struggled against certain types of players. Hopefully, he's improved his lateral quickness. Was looking forward to seeing him this Spring. Hope he gets it all together, but it worried me when he was stashed for a RS last year. Why? Because we were insanely weak at Guard and, if Gaynor was what we hope, he or Gauthier could have slid over and picked up the slack. Agree totally this dude is CRITICAL to our success.

Advertisement
This....some of our Oline lineups were questionable to say the least.

The fact that we had any oline with a potential heartbeat on the roster that were red-shirted kinda blows my mind. and shows the lack of ability that Serals had as a coach. the only positive is that Gaynor has a extra year to learn from a coach that knows what he is doing, instead of that moron. If i was Gaynor i would see it as a gift.

Gaynor was left off the Rimington Award Preseason Watch List. Let's hope he uses that as motivation.

ACC
Boston CollegeAlecLindstromRS SO6'4290
ClemsonSeanPollardSR6'5320
DukeJackWohlabaughRS JR6'4300
Georgia TechKennyCooperSR6'3317
LouisvilleT.J.McCoyGRAD6'1295
PittJimmyMorrisseyJR6'3305
SyracuseAironServaisRS JR6'6273

Romberg hype is great and all, but as much as we hate(d) Searles as a coach (Rom-dog was a fan, BTW), he wasn't totally incompetent and oblivious. For those of you frothing, I did not say he was effective or a great teache, but there IS some information in an interior line of Jones, Gauthier and Mahoney, and the read through to Gaynor's development isn't great. Yes, he was nasty, in HS, but in college, that counts for absolutely nothing and he found that out quick. I'll start simple and hope he has gotten a lot stronger. Strength was missing on last year's OL, and it was evident by about the 3rd snap against LSU.

Said it back when he was being overly hyped (at one point some said he'd start as a True Frosh) and repeating it now.

Gaynor did start a game as a true freshman and was our sixth lineman for most of the year.

I thought he'd make more of an impact, but Searels had a much higher opinion of Mahoney than I did. It looks like Manny was not much of Mahoney fan.

Advertisement
I'm confident he can be a solid player. However, if he was as good as Romberg claims he wouldn't have redshirted last year while our guards were literally getting launched across the field like Mahoney at UVA.
Pretty sure he was injured

You couldn't argue with his HS highlight tape. He had attributes you cant teach. (motor, nastiness, mean streak) A lot of OL that came through here the past few years who were 4* didn't have those traits and they left here as players who will be forgotten about. (Trevor Darling among others)

Gaynor can be a really good one if he puts it all together. 3rd year in the program. Its time.
Isn't this his 2nd year?

Him not playing last year isnt a necessarily an indictment on him. We all know how mismanaged the offense was. Anyone with eyes could tell that boulware was a better guard than jahair jones but searles still started jahair. Not to mention them continuing to play donaldson at tackle when scaife as a true freshman was better at that position.

Advertisement
Gaynor did start a game as a true freshman and was our sixth lineman for most of the year.

I thought he'd make more of an impact, but Searels had a much higher opinion of Mahoney than I did. It looks like Manny was not much of Mahoney fan.
Ha. Come on, D. Gaynor wasn't close to what was hyped going into 2017. Citing a random start without the struggle he later experienced isn't going to strengthen the argument. He was clearly outplayed by Mahoney that season, which is scary having now seen 2018. I get the RS thing and the wild mismanagement by previous staff, but the scope of these comments is what was expected of Gaynor coming into 2017.

Back before 2017, we had some (citing Pete) saying Gaynor's ability pushed out Linder. There are even old threads debating whether Gaynor would be a starter or a backup. Let's just hope he's solid now. He should definitely look better given different OL blocking schemes and play calls. I don't think he could previously pull off some of the reach blocks in our zone calls, but I'll let someone who knows more about OL comment better than I can.

Ha. Come on, D. Gaynor wasn't close to what was hyped going into 2017. Citing a random start without the struggle he later experienced isn't going to strengthen the argument. He was clearly outplayed by Mahoney that season, which is scary having now seen 2018.

He was our sixth lineman as a true freshman, and they even tried to carve out playing time at FB to get him on the field. He played in ten games, which is a ton for someone his age.

Of course he was going to struggle at times. My expectation, which remains, is that he ends up being a longtime starter who peaks as a captain/All-Conference type.

Obviously, Searels had more faith in Mahoney. I never agreed with it, and Manny didn't either considering that he pushed Mahoney out. Give me Gaynor's power and mentality over Mahoney's athleticism and weakness. He should have never started at Miami, and Gaynor should have never redshirted.

There are yards of ****poor, unexplainable actions by our previous Offensive Coaching that make no sense - whatsoever.

I don't think that counts.

I am grateful to our former players giving a rat's *** enough to return and help our players.

Advertisement
Back