Returning Players

If Wong and Gusty turn pro, we'll have 7 scholarship players for this season?
It would be 9 and then 10 if Joseph actually enrolls. Also still trying for another big in the portal as they dream of Duren reclassifying, actually wanting to play college ball and then picking Miami.

Gak
Miller
Walker
Beverly
Sam
Transfer Miller
Transfer Moore
Recruit Robinson
Recruit Poplar

Last edited:
Advertisement
If Wong and Mgusty return L has to produce at least a NIT bid. It’s a decent squad if they both return. No depth, but the core is solid.... especially if we can land a transfer big.

If Wong and Mgusty return L has to produce at least a NIT bid. It’s a decent squad if they both return. No depth, but the core is solid.... especially if we can land a transfer big.
I'm not impressed with that roster, even with Wong and McGusty. You've set the bar accordingly low (NIT), though, and that would seem about right in terms of expectations.

Is an NIT bid these days really any sort of accomplishment? I'm thinking it just isn't anymore.

I'm not impressed with that roster, even with Wong and McGusty. You've set the bar accordingly low (NIT), though, and that would seem about right in terms of expectations.

Is an NIT bid these days really any sort of accomplishment? I'm thinking it just isn't anymore.
Massive accomplishment given how far the program has fallen. Bottom tier ACC squad for a few years now that gets a bid to NiT is progress forsure

NIT>no post season 🤣

Advertisement

As expected.

john cena win GIF by WWE

As expected.

Wong even as a UDFA will do damage, especially if he ends up on a roster where he can ball out in the summer league. Of course, he's going to ***** himself out of a good amount of money by taking this route, but Wong can absolutely score and defend at an NBA level especially against some of the guys he will face in the summer league. Tre Mann with similar stats and a similar frame is garnering 1st round hype. Wong's numbers are more impressive to me considering he was surrounded with no talent and was still able to put up numbers. I would say there would have to be some sort of mutual understanding between Duren and Wong to both come to Miami as that's how Duren would be able to boost his stock playing with a great guard and Wong would get more attention and more room to work being surrounded by actual talent. That team if it happens would also be tourney bound which would be the most exposure possible for both of them. Wong coming back with this team doesn't seem like the best option for him, but selfishly I want to see him back next year.

If I was Gusty I probably would have left to play in Europe. Not sure what he has to gain by coming back. He's obviously not an NBA player, but will make money overseas. Basically sacrificing a year of earning money.

Advertisement
If I was Gusty I probably would have left to play in Europe. Not sure what he has to gain by coming back. He's obviously not an NBA player, but will make money overseas. Basically sacrificing a year of earning money.

He needs to once and for all have a good shooting season. Despite having a good looking shot, he hasn't shot over 35% from 3 since his freshman year.

Here's how the roster looks as of today:

Confirmed:
PG - Moore/Beverly
SG - Kam/Poplar
SF - J Miller/Robinson
PF - Walker/Sam
C - R Miller/Gak

Pending:
PG - Joseph
SG - Wong

Regardless of what Wong decides and what happens with Joseph, I foresee us playing a lot of small ball lineups.

Coach L will have no excuses. This is an old roster with 5 seniors, 3 juniors, and only 2 freshmen. If he can't make the NCAA tournament with a roster full of juniors and seniors, what's the point in keeping him?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Agreed. Anyone who is expecting any of our 5th/6th year seniors to have a sudden significant improvement in their play is setting themselves up for disappointment.

He's 23 years old, that's not how development curves work. Seniors drastically improving is one of the most common occurrences in college basketball.

Advertisement
That’s a low seed nit roster above.

the high ball screen teams to death with that roster WILL NOT WORK

Not trying to turn into a Jim defender or anything - he should be fired - but I feel like you guys are letting Jim's roster management stupidity cloud your judgment about the talent that's actually on this team.

A high ball screen offense could absolutely work with this squad. From a roster construction standpoint (not a talent standpoint), this team doesn't look all that much different from the Atlanta Hawks/Utah Jazz. Moore and Wong are lead guards that can score on all 3 levels (obviously not nearly as well as Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell), and they'll be surrounded by some theoretically decent catch a shoot guys in Waardenburg, Kam, and whichever of the two isn't in the ball screen action. I'm almost certain Wong's jumpshot will look completely different next year after the NBA tells him not to come back until its fixed.

All that's missing right now is a Capela/Gobert style rim runner and protector. My biggest concern is that the staff's putting all their eggs in the Duren basket, which would be a horrific miscalculation imo. There's still a couple decent transfers out there that can fill this role, but the options are drying up quickly.

In any case, the offense is simple; pick and roll em to death, and if they switch, throw the lob or hit the open shooter. If they try to play it straight up, thank them for the 12 foot Charlie Moore floater and go play defense. People that think Jim's offense is antiquated clearly haven't been watching enough basketball lately, because that's the exact strategy that like half the NBA used in the playoffs this year. Jim's problem recently has been the Jimmies and the Joes, not the X's and the O's.

Advertisement
Back