Returning Players

Advertisement
Why coaches in all sports sometimes ought to trust their eyes and brains more than being swayed by arbitrary, often-wrong "star" ratings and high school/prep "pedigrees."

In general, though, this thread is a little premature don't you think? Way too early, with 1000 still in the Portal and pro hoops decisions pendingon Wong and McGusty, to try and figure out who is gonna make up the 2021-22 team.

Why coaches in all sports sometimes ought to trust their eyes and brains more than being swayed by arbitrary, often-wrong "star" ratings and high school/prep "pedigrees."
I fall under the belief that basketball is by far the easiest to recruit. Yes stars and all that jazz are great, but 99% of the time they rank these kids on measurable. Meanwhile there 1000’s of under the radar kids that have the effort, talent, and mentality to play at a high level. If you know the game and trust your eyes you can recruit gems. Look at the kid from G tech and the coach. Great story and he has great confidence in his evaluations.

that dude averaged 9 minutes a game according to what I am looking at 🤣

1. In general, not just Rodney Miller, I have no idea if there is anyway to actually verify whether or not a certain recruit has a scholarship. I believe the sites take the word of the recruit. The schools themselves don't talk about uncommitted/unsigned players publicly and I doubt they're releasing names to 247 in private. The NCAA is listening.

2. My guess is Rodney Miller was recruited, but not actually offered, by most of those schools listed above. The guy hardly played and never produced his upper years. He was probably recruited because he went to Oak Hill and was ~7 Feet. IMO...When he never produced, some interest that was there vanished.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Should we pencil Kam in for a return then? I don’t see him getting drafted, but maybe the feedback he gets in the process will be useful.
good question... I don’t see him getting drafted either and am guessing he returns vs entering the portal, but that is a complete guess and nothing would surprise me with transfers this year...

good question... I don’t see him getting drafted either and am guessing he returns vs entering the portal, but that is a complete guess and nothing would surprise me with transfers this year...
His other option is he could decide to go to the G League or play overseas somewhere.

Advertisement
This feels like the team Rachel Phelps put together to move the Indians to Miami, except the team is already in Miami.

major league middle finger GIF

Absolutely. Any coach in America is going to speak to a 6’11 kid at Oak Hill or IMG. Anyone know if FSU was on him? I’m beginning to view them as the best developers of bigs in America. If Hamilton & staff didn’t see much with him, that says a lot
Stan Jones is a terrific developer of bigs. He should have been offered the job when Hamilton bolted even after the Pitino deal was sabotaged.

Stan Jones is a terrific developer of bigs. He should have been offered the job when Hamilton bolted even after the Pitino deal was sabotaged.
Maybe so, but there's also a reason Stan is still under Hamilton. Some guys are just meant to be lifetime assistant coaches.

Advertisement
Maybe so, but there's also a reason Stan is still under Hamilton. Some guys are just meant to be lifetime assistant coaches.
Yeah, I get that. Jones was a terrific high school coach. He was 43 at the time. I don't think Jones was ever in consideration. Not sure if Jones already said he was going to the Wiz with Hamilton, but he should have been first choice. Freeman wanted the job and there was speculation on who blew up the Pitino deal. Too many moving parts for the Pitino to happen. The fact that Hamilton had any say or opinion on Perry Clark was down right wrong. Jones is a terrific coach. He goes to Mississippi State one season and they win the SEC. Quite frankly Miami would have gotten better if Jones took over for Hamilton. Jones is one of if not the best assistants in the country.

Yeah, I get that. Jones was a terrific high school coach. He was 43 at the time. I don't think Jones was ever in consideration. Not sure if Jones already said he was going to the Wiz with Hamilton, but he should have been first choice. Freeman wanted the job and there was speculation on who blew up the Pitino deal. Too many moving parts for the Pitino to happen. The fact that Hamilton had any say or opinion on Perry Clark was down right wrong. Jones is a terrific coach. He goes to Mississippi State one season and they win the SEC. Quite frankly Miami would have gotten better if Jones took over for Hamilton. Jones is one of if not the best assistants in the country.
Jones did leave with Coach Ham for the Wiz job. And maybe that did preclude him from being considered at UM. I would think, though, that if he had been offered the UM top job, he would've taken that over being a Wiz assistant. How the timing of the stealth Pitino negotiation played into all that, who knows?

As for Perry Clark, he was hired on Ham's personal recommendation and came to UM with the rep (like Ham had) of being an ace recruiter. All those GT stars of the 80s (Mark Price, Duane Ferrell, Dennis Scott) were supposedly Clark's recruits. Jones didn't have that aspect going for him back in 2000.

So 3 players who most of us don't want back are returning....just awesome.
Wardenburg has his moments, Gak seems to be athletic enough to help: but Rodney, I think that ship should have sailed by now : maybe a grad assistant position, seems like a really nice kid, and all the players like him.

Advertisement
Back