Returning Players

Obviously can't say for sure, but if nothing else, it should help his strength limitations. One way to compensate for having a slender frame is to be 3 years older than your competition.
McGusty's "good" games are pretty darn productive. Problem is he disappears on the floor for parts of/whole games. Consistency is what he needs. Too many single digit scoring efforts for a scoring-challenged team and a player with his skill set.

Advertisement
Not trying to turn into a Jim defender or anything - he should be fired - but I feel like you guys are letting Jim's roster management stupidity cloud your judgment about the talent that's actually on this team.

A high ball screen offense could absolutely work with this squad. From a roster construction standpoint (not a talent standpoint), this team doesn't look all that much different from the Atlanta Hawks/Utah Jazz. Moore and Wong are lead guards that can score on all 3 levels (obviously not nearly as well as Trae Young or Donovan Mitchell), and they'll be surrounded by some theoretically decent catch a shoot guys in Waardenburg, Kam, and whichever of the two isn't in the ball screen action. I'm almost certain Wong's jumpshot will look completely different next year after the NBA tells him not to come back until its fixed.

All that's missing right now is a Capela/Gobert style rim runner and protector. My biggest concern is that the staff's putting all their eggs in the Duren basket, which would be a horrific miscalculation imo. There's still a couple decent transfers out there that can fill this role, but the options are drying up quickly.

In any case, the offense is simple; pick and roll em to death, and if they switch, throw the lob or hit the open shooter. If they try to play it straight up, thank them for the 12 foot Charlie Moore floater and go play defense. People that think Jim's offense is antiquated clearly haven't been watching enough basketball lately, because that's the exact strategy that like half the NBA used in the playoffs this year. Jim's problem recently has been the Jimmies and the Joes, not the X's and the O's.
You’re giving this roster far too much credit. Teams will be in help ALL GAME until we prove we can shoot the Trey. Nobody on this team can unless they take a massive step forward. I have no issue with the high ball screen offense, but it becomes stagnant 1 on 5 ball due to everyone daring us to hit the 3

Advertisement
Here's how the roster looks as of today:

Confirmed:
PG - Moore/Beverly
SG - Kam/Poplar
SF - J Miller/Robinson
PF - Walker/Sam
C - R Miller/Gak

Pending:
PG - Joseph
SG - Wong

Regardless of what Wong decides and what happens with Joseph, I foresee us playing a lot of small ball lineups.

Coach L will have no excuses. This is an old roster with 5 seniors, 3 juniors, and only 2 freshmen. If he can't make the NCAA tournament with a roster full of juniors and seniors, what's the point in keeping him?
Updated:

Confirmed:
PG - Moore/Beverly
SG - Wong/Poplar
SF - Kam/J Miller/Robinson
PF - Walker/Sam
C - R Miller/Gak

Pending:
PG - Joseph

That's 11 confirmed players distributed as follows:
2 freshmen
0 sophomores
3 juniors
6 seniors, some of which are 5th and 6th year players

There is absolutely zero excuse not to make the tourney. This is an extremely old team.

PG Charlie Moore 14.5 and 4.5 last year
SG Isaiah Wong 17.0 and 5APG last year
SF Kam Mcgusty 13.3PPG Last year
PF Jordan Miller 16.1 and 6RPG Last Year
C Anthony Walker 9.6 and 5 last year

We need another big desperately...

Advertisement
PG Charlie Moore 14.5 and 4.5 last year
SG Isaiah Wong 17.0 and 5APG last year
SF Kam Mcgusty 13.3PPG Last year
PF Jordan Miller 16.1 and 6RPG Last Year
C Anthony Walker 9.6 and 5 last year

We need another big desperately...
That may be one of the in-game lineups we play but I doubt that's the starting lineup. That would be a puny starting 5.

That may be one of the in-game lineups we play but I doubt that's the starting lineup. That would be a puny starting 5.
That's why I said we desperately need a competent big. Right now these are definitely our 5 best players and we might be forced to play small ball

Updated:

Confirmed:
PG - Moore/Beverly
SG - Wong/Poplar
SF - Kam/J Miller/Robinson
PF - Walker/Sam
C - R Miller/Gak

Pending:
PG - Joseph

That's 11 confirmed players distributed as follows:
2 freshmen
0 sophomores
3 juniors
6 seniors, some of which are 5th and 6th year players

There is absolutely zero excuse not to make the tourney. This is an extremely old team.

Old is a relative term. Most teams will have a bunch of seniors on the roster-there's basically 2 senior classes rolled into one.

Advertisement
That's why I said we desperately need a competent big. Right now these are definitely our 5 best players and we might be forced to play small ball
Probably better than trotting Sam and Rodney Miller out there. None of the bigs we currently have are skilled players.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back