Quick question

I believe that. All evidence from people in the know leads to that end point.

It would be nice to finally significantly win on the field to provide that evidence to these recruits. Until then, we will be trying to win these kids over with only the bigger bag to offer up.

We are stuffing to close on a QB for a reason. I don’t see Oregon struggling to close on a QB. Ohio State gets their top WR targets most of the time. So on!

Getting Evan Stewart would change a lot of narratives used by other programs against UM. He's going to be a first round pick, so it would show WRs can be first rounders out of UM. If we have money, then we should go get him.

Advertisement
We offered MUCH more than them. It wasn't close. Same thing with Innis. But what would I know....
@RightSaidFred there's your proof
Eddie Murphy Prince GIF by mtv

I don't know you, so I have no idea what you'd know. Maybe you know what you're saying is fact, maybe not, I wouldn't have any idea.

No you don't know me. I'm just a full of **** troll and I can say with certainty you wouldn't have any idea what JJ was offered. The staff did everything thing they could period. The people who say this is an epic fail really don't know ****... that much is clear.

It’s a huge missed opportunity bc he is in our backyard and will be a star, but we were 7-5 this season and didn’t show enough for him to come. If we’d won 10 or 11 games we may have had Ellis R4 and J Smith but we didn’t.

We are not broke and we got another great class. If we win 9,10, or more games next year we’ll start keeping guys like Smith if Mario is recruiting them and our boosters keep paying big bucks
I know I may be wearing orange and green tinted glasses here, but I truly believe that we have more momentum at the moment than OSU does. Michigan already owns them, PSU is not far behind, Iowa, Nebraska are solid teams and now USC/Oregon/Washington/UCLA entering the mix in the B10. The days of OSU bullying their way through the B10 are coming to an end and their past decade does not necessarily guarantee their future decade. All programs go through ebbs and flows of greatness/mediocrity/dog**** and I really think they may be coming to the tail end of a dominant decade. We're already seeing some leaks in the cracks with recruiting flips, coaching rumors and their rival owning them for the 3rd straight year. The landscape has changed on a macro level.

We're starting to recruit better and we play in a "weaker" conference. As long as Mario learns when to take a knee and our QB's don't forget the color of their own team's jersey, we should be contending for a playoff spot every season.

Getting Evan Stewart would change a lot of narratives used by other programs against UM. He's going to be a first round pick, so it would show WRs can be first rounders out of UM. If we have money, then we should go get him.
I would love to throw that Smith bag at him but we have one major issue: WE DON’T HAVE A QB YET ON BOARD!!

Oregon does. Ole Miss does. Texas does, etc, etc.

Advertisement
Here for my L. Didn't really doubt Mario's recruiting prowess, but it did appear the finances were lacking. And money talks. Wrong and wrong. Go 'Canes!!!

I know I may be wearing orange and green tinted glasses here, but I truly believe that we have more momentum at the moment than OSU does. Michigan already owns them, PSU is not far behind, Iowa, Nebraska are solid teams and now USC/Oregon/Washington/UCLA entering the mix in the B10. The days of OSU bullying their way through the B10 are coming to an end and their past decade does not necessarily guarantee their future decade. All programs go through ebbs and flows of greatness/mediocrity/dog**** and I really think they may be coming to the tail end of a dominant decade. Michigan has the torch now. The landscape has changed on a macro level.

We're starting to recruit better and play in a "weaker" conference. As long as Mario learns when to take a knee and our QB's don't forget the color of their own team's jersey, we should be contending for a playoff spot every season.
Now that the playoffs will be 12 teams I agree Mario will get us contending there probably every season based on the classes he’s bringing in and his time at Oregon.

wouldn’t go as far to say as our future looks better than OSUs though Mario hasn’t proved that before and we have a long way to go before we get close to them in terms of on field results

Advertisement
Literally nobody could prove this outside Jeremiah dip****, however, it can be inferred. He said that "Miami is throwing all types of money at me". He also signed with Ohio State who Miami has owned this class. Do you think all those players (especially the D-linemen who grew up in that area and were probably OSU fans growing up) went to a 7-5 Miami team who has never been good in their entire lives over a perennial contender close to home because Miami was offering less money then OSU?

It's been widely reported that Miami will outspend ANY school for a transfer QB and by quite a bit....you think they wouldn't do similar for the top player on their board? If you really think Miami lost out due to money i dont know what to tell you.

You can choose to believe internet gossip, and I will choose to remain skeptical. We might be paying more, we might not. But you're stating it like it's an evidenced fact and it isn't. The only facts we have are who signed where. So your strongest argument is actually the fact that we signed Lightfoot and Scott from the Midwest and kept Lyle and Chance at home. That carries more weight with me than what some people on twitter and message boards are claiming.

On the other hand, we lost out to them on the big prize, Smith, who should have more reasons to go to Miami than OSU given that he's from here and his frineds and family are nearby.

Don't start threads like this dunking on me before the ink is dry if you don't want to hear what I have to say. I posted in this thread first that I was ready to eat my crow if I was wrong... turned out I had the right read back in the summer.

I was ready to take my L if I was wrong. Unfortunately for all of us, I was not wrong.
You dunk on yourself just fine.

Advertisement
Didn’t he quit on his high school team and A&M.

Respectfully, we need to stay away from quitters. Bad optics if he quits on us after a bad game or two

I get what you’re saying about the top 5 classes

It’s not necessarily the number for me it’s the clear line in between the top couple and everyone else

You’ve got UGA, Bama, and OSU and then a group of teams fighting to grab those other two spots

On one hand it’s a minor miracle that we are in that hunt, but same time to your point it’s where we have to be

Once you get outside the top few classes the numbers get jumbled where they’re all kinda the same class

Yes, exactly. And I'm not saying our class is bad. It's a pretty good class if not great. I'm just saying it's not elite and national championship caliber.

It's no insult to Miami to say that we haven't reached the top of the mountain yet in recruiting, but that we're improving and climbing our way up. Maybe in future years we'll hit that level of recruiting.

Didn’t he quit on his high school team and A&M.

Respectfully, we need to stay away from quitters. Bad optics if he quits on us after a bad game or two

Don't lose games and get him the ball. I think that will help with his attitude.

Advertisement
You can choose to believe internet gossip, and I will choose to remain skeptical. We might be paying more, we might not. But you're stating it like it's an evidenced fact and it isn't. The only facts we have are who signed where. So your strongest argument is actually the fact that we signed Lightfoot and Scott from the Midwest and kept Lyle and Chance at home. That carries more weight with me than what some people on twitter and message boards are claiming.

On the other hand, we lost out to them on the big prize, Smith, who should have more reasons to go to Miami than OSU given that he's from here and his frineds and family are nearby.
You may make every decision based off where your friends and family are, but that isn’t how most elite athletes do. They go where they think is best for their future. That’s what smith did. Not sure why you don’t get that considering OSU has another first round wr this year and we haven’t had a first round wr since phil Dorset

to my knowledge, Cribby never predicted Smith to Miami. He was adamant that Smith would not flip to Fspoo.

With that said, this post sure feels like it is somewhat related to Smith or at least another signing day surprise involving a major prospect.

And, so what…still a great finish…
No one predicted it.. Some insiders said it was "looking good" and that "we're still in it," which by the kid's very own words seems to be very true. Some guys just can't help but shooting the messenger when things go wrong.

Advertisement
Back