Quick question

Ehh no recruit is a "1st round lock," otherwise Frank Ladson isn't suiting up for UMass next year.

Smith and Ladson aren't in the same league. Smith is the highest rated receiver prosepect in South Florida history. Ladson was a 5-star but there are different tiers of 5-star, and people were questioning him even in high school.

Advertisement
None of us know right now if he is the biggest recruiting miss in 20 years. Only time will tell and we've "missed" talent over the years, going back to the 70s and further.
It happens.
We just need to bring very good talent at all positions every year and stop losing games to sht teams.

We'll just have to see how it plays out at this point. Keep recruiting other pieces.

Smith and Ladson aren't in the same league. Smith is the highest rated receiver prosepect in South Florida history. Ladson was a 5-star but there are different tiers of 5-star, and people were questioning him even in high school.
so he's really like a 6 star?

Ladson was a composite four star

Btw there is talk about smith not having signed his letter of intent yet 👀

Advertisement
Blount will even it out basically
Yeah I wasn’t clear. That wasn’t my question I was confused at how 247 had us with Riley and if it was impacting the score at the moment is all

It’s cleared up though thanks

I think we're on a good trajectory. I think people are misconstruing what I'm saying because I can compartmentalize two different things - on the one hand, this is a good class and I'm happy with it. It gets us closer to being that 10 win team you speak of which will then put us in a better position to compete for those top classes. On the other hand, JS was a monumental miss and I'm not sugar coating that. Biggest miss in decades. And it's not something you recover from next year because a talent like that doesn't come around every year.

It is what it is, the good and the bad alike. Hopefully we continue to build and stack talent in the portal.

Here's my question. How is it a monumental miss? Because you believe he is a generational talent or because we didn't do our job SOLELY because he didn't sign with us. I personally don't think those two things are the same. As well I know JJ VERY well. He is an exceptional talent but he will have nowhere near the kind of CFB impact that Dalvin Cook had. Its way too dependent of a position to do so.

Advertisement
Here's my question. How is it a monumental miss? Because you believe he is a generational talent or because we didn't do our job SOLELY because he didn't sign with us. I personally don't think those two things are the same. As well I know JJ VERY well. He is an exceptional talent but he will have nowhere near the kind of CFB impact that Dalvin Cook had. Its way too dependent of a position to do so.

Both of those things IMO. In my eyes he's the 2023 version of Andre Johnson, and the fact that we didn't land him is a reminder of how this program has fallen in the last 20 years, even though I really do think we're on the right path upward. But Andre Johnson signed here, and Jeremiah Smith did not, and that just illustrates and highlights our problems today vs what worked back then. Are we gonna lose the next Sean Taylor to Georgia? The next Willis McGahee to Alabama?

I think it's a failure because this is a results business. I think Mario is a good coach and an elite recruiter, maybe the best recruiter in America. So I don't think losing JS is on him. We need to make sure he has the support he needs from a staff perspective and from an NIL perspective to get the most out of what he can bring as a recruiter. If Mario is the head coach at Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio State, he's landing the #1 class in the nation every year. So in my eyes, the difference is the supporting cast around him including NIL and administrative.

The only thing that matters in the end is who we sign vs who our competition signs, and us having a good enough stable of players to compete for championships. The how and the why don't mean **** at the end of the day.

Both of those things IMO. In my eyes he's the 2023 version of Andre Johnson, and the fact that we didn't land him is a reminder of how this program has fallen in the last 20 years, even though I really do think we're on the right path upward. But Andre Johnson signed here, and Jeremiah Smith did not, and that just illustrates and highlights our problems today vs what worked back then. Are we gonna lose the next Sean Taylor to Georgia? The next Willis McGahee to Alabama?

I think it's a failure because this is a results business. I think Mario is a good coach and an elite recruiter, maybe the best recruiter in America. So I don't think losing JS is on him. We need to make sure he has the support he needs from a staff perspective and from an NIL perspective to get the most out of what he can bring as a recruiter. If Mario is the head coach at Alabama, Georgia, or Ohio State, he's landing the #1 class in the nation every year. So in my eyes, the difference is the supporting cast around him including NIL and administrative.

The only thing that matters in the end is who we sign vs who our competition signs, and us having a good enough stable of players to compete for championships. The how and the why don't mean **** at the end of the day.

Signing top 5 classes yearly should yield competing for championships especially in the 12 team playoff era though right?

Random statement but LSU has been extremely quiet today. They are usually making a ton of noise and bringing in top 5 classes every year. I feel like I haven’t heard their name once today.
Also not for nothing but UNC got their **** pushed in this cycle

Advertisement
Signing top 5 classes yearly should yield competing for championships especially in the 12 team playoff era though right?

Yes. But just so you know, I've been consistent over the past couple years, probably to the point of being annoying, that top 5 classes are where I set the bar for success. We may well land there if Blount signs. I hope so.

I’m glad to see Miami’s has the money to get top players, now it’s time to get a top QB.

Then you start winning games, conferences, championships and get kids drafted in the 1st rd.

Until Miami starts doing all the other stuff that matters, they will continue to pay the suck tax. Once they start doing those on the field things then they won’t have to buy as many players.

Advertisement
I appreciate our NIL and Mario. So many schools have NIL issues, whether is not having the $ or ******* with his offers. At least UM ain't that sleazy ****

Bump.

Jeremiah Smith was an unacceptable miss. There's no other way to spin it. This kid is the best wide receiver possibly ever to come out of South Florida, at least since Andre Johnson.

MASSIVE fail by the staff and by the NIL people.

Also goes to show why you shouldn't take a victory lap before the ink has dried.

Antonio Brown, despite how anyone feels about his off field antics, is the absolute best WR to come out of South Florida.

There won't be another Jeremiah Smith next year. He's a generational talent and the biggest recruiting miss in Miami history. It's a miss and a failure, and to me there's nothing gained by sugar coating it with false optimism about "next year" when we've been hearing that same lie for decades.

We're signing a decent class this year. It's not terrible. It's not elite and not a championship class, but it's good enough to help improve this team vs where we are today, so that's a win on one level.

That's where I see we are, minus all the bull****. and hype.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

JJ was never ours to lose, he committed to Ohio in the spring. I seen Stone give all indications that it was Miami then 2 mins, he chose OU. JJ said 2 mins he decided it was Ohio. I dont believe that, he decided long ago and he in love with what they been selling and put in recent history which is why he committed in the spring. We just took 3 players they wanted and 2 they had committed. 2 from their area btw. Am i gonna jump off a bridge because we are all disappointed in losing out on a local kid? They want all their DL coaches fired because of us. Some of u dont want reasoning when you are mad. You want someone who gonna help u burn the City. I rather the 3 WRs we have than 1 JJ. I been said that long before anyone even believed he might flip. And if u dont like that, thats ok.
Shawn Wayans Message GIF

Advertisement
Back