QB performance at Greentree

Advertisement
Yes. Practice doesn't guarantee game performance. However, you earn your game reps in practice. You can't expect to practice poorly and play well in the game. You have to practice well and perform well under the bright lights.

We'll see who can do both!!!

One thing I've learned, the hard way, is that QB is the position that translates the least from the practice field to the games. They can't get hit, which affects everything they do.

When Stephen Morris was entering his senior year, Golden was telling people he was a Top 10 QB in the country. I agreed. Morris was tossing dimes all over the field and looked in total control. When the games started, he sped up his process and his accuracy suffered.

Kaaya was the same deal. Richt told boosters Kaaya was the most accurate QB he'd ever been around. Kaaya put on a show in practice. In games, his lack of quickness got exposed behind an average OL.

Rosier had the best camp of his career last August. He was under control and seemed more confident. When the games started, he got exposed because the opposing defenses had a read on his (and his playcaller's) limitations.

That's a long way of saying: don't overreact to QB practice reports. I'm the biggest culprit myself. All practices show you is skillset. It's not hard to see that Jarren is the best passer in the group. Tate is the best athlete. Kosi has a little bit of both, with the ability to make different types of throws. This competition won't be done until someone establishes themselves as the QB in real games.
Totally agree. We've heard that players like Lance Leggit we're catching dimes in practice. We heard that Kyle Wright and Robert Marve were the next great QBs for Miami.

Wait and see, is what I always say.

Advertisement
He was helped by the fact that He played vs the worse pass defenses in CFB the last 5 games of 2016.

Notre Dame, Pitt, Virginia, NC State, Duke, I would hardly claim were the worst pass defenses in CFB that year. I don't even have to look that up.

A lot of fans wanted to crown Martell so now they want to discount the three practices since most reports say he's been the worst.

Not really. Rational fans just understand there's not much to evaluate so far. After 3 practices, we know Jarren and N'Kosi are better at throwing in in-the-pocket, 5-step drop drills.

Honestly, if Tate were looking better right now there it'd be concerning. Jarren and Kosi were 4* QBs because of their arm talent. Tate was a 4* QB because of his dual-threat ability, his ability to improvise, and throw on the run. Jarren and Kosi should be better at this.

If the first 3 days were QB rollout drills, Tate would probably look the best. But that still wouldnt tell us who is the best QB.

Let's see what happens in scrimmages and the spring game. That's where they actually have to play the position vs a live defense.

Do you know who looked like crap in practice? I mean dude threw wobblers all over the place.

Ken Dorsey.

Do you know who made fast decisions and had a quick release which made it almost impossible to sack?

Ken Dorsey

I know what I’ll be looking for in a Miami QB.

Advertisement
I read on a FB post the following from someone that SUPPOSEDLY viewed practice: Jarren is the most accurate within 15 yards. Tate is the best passing down the middle, not as accurate throwing down the sideline. Noksi is the best passing past 15 yards, not good passing over the middle. Tate of course is the better runner. We got options so the QBs gotta bring that A game baby.

We have two top TEs and classic Miami made living down the middle to TEs. If you can attack the middle it ties both safeties up and helps run game plus opens the outside up for easier throws. Maybe I’m just not over our QBs lack of performance last year, but I tend to lend toward Tate. Until we can find a Miami level pocket passer who takes snaps under center, Tate’s type of run skills are a must.

All the Jarren fans please remember how hyped you were about nkosi. Everyone wants to see the new toy. We were all praying and praising nkosi before he was the starter and now the same thing with jarren
Eh...This particular take is sold all the time. I can understand it to a point but not nearly to the extent it is being portrayed here. I just can't buy into this. Our fanbase(the core group who never jump ship) most certainly has it's warts but for the most part we are a very knowledgeable, intelligent and insightful group. The whole notion that fan excitement about Jarren is strictly a function of him being the "new toy" is simple minded and in a way, insulting.

In reality there are several factors behind the fan interest in Williams. I won't list them all but the main reason is that Perry while enormously talented, projects an image that screams immaturity. Whether that image is accurate, important, fair or justified is irrelevant. It exists. On the other hand I believe fans have an image of Williams being more focused, diligent and sober minded. He is generally thought to be or at least have the potential of being a much more natural and effective leader than Perry. Again, whether or not this image is accurate or justified is beside the point. The point is it exists.

The most important thing here is that these two QBs in addition to Tate Martell will all have the opportunity to prove who deserves to be the starter and it will be determined on the practice field. The winner will be the QB who proves to have the best command of the offense in addition to the ability to be the leader of this football team not the guy who kisses the head coaches A$$ the most effectively. I have every confidence that Diaz/Enos will pick the right guy.

Too many variables that have to play out to crown one QB over another at this point after three whole practices. Whoever wins the starting job I hope they understand the gravity of the position, the lack of a playmaker or leader we’ve had at the helm, and maintain their pose, both on and off the field. If that’s Jarren that’s fine. If it’s Tate, just as good. Or if that means N’Kosi then he will have earned the position fair and square. I’ll be very interested and focused on all 3 QB’s when we get to the 1st Spring scrimmage. Perhaps we’ll get a true depth chart based off that game, and get to truly see how his play landed him at the top of the heap. But I pray that whoever it is doesn’t relax at the top; the other 2 should continue to compete in case he does all the way until 8/24 is close and the time is there to name a starter.

Notre Dame, Pitt, Virginia, NC State, Duke, I would hardly claim were the worst pass defenses in CFB that year. I don't even have to look that up.
Last 5 opponents were Pitt, Virginia, NC ST, Duke and West Virginia. All those teams were ranked in the 90's in pass defense or worse except for Virginia -- who has ranked 84th.

It's not a coincidence that our offense stopped being anemic that year starting with the Pitt game.

Advertisement
Last 5 opponents were Pitt, Virginia, NC ST, Duke and West Virginia. All those teams were ranked in the 90's in pass defense or worse except for Virginia -- who has ranked 84th.

It's not a coincidence that our offense stopped being anemic that year starting with the Pitt game.

I really think some of you guys have Richt Derangement Syndrome, of which one symptom is the utter incapability of uttering anything positive about Richt. These are basically the same ACC teams we play each year, meaning they were also (give or take a couple) on the schedule in 2015 and 2014. So you can trash those same pass defenses we played those years under Coley too. That doesn't help your case though.

So when Oklahoma exploits those horrendous Big 12 defenses they are explosive and when ours did the other defenses just sucked.

You are cherry picking to fit a narrative. That Kaaya led offense had NFL caliber players all over the field and a QB that ran it well. Wouldn't have mattered who we played, they were going to score a ton of points.

Last edited:
After watching some of the videos it's noticable that Jarren and Kosi knows the speed of the receivers they are throwing too! Tate has to get used to the receivers and learn their breaks therefore making him look late on passes. Once he recognizes his receivers breaks he will be more comfortable. Jarren and Kosi should have better chemistry at this point with the receivers and their breaks as of now. I believe it between Jarren and Tate.

Advertisement
I really think some of you guys have Richt Derangement Syndrome, of which one symptom is the utter incapability of uttering anything positive about Richt. These are basically the same ACC teams we play each year, meaning they were also (give or take a couple) on the schedule in 2015 and 2014. So you can trash those same pass defenses we played those years under Coley too. That doesn't help your case though.

Because you're trying to credit Richt the OC when he deserves none. I can say good things about Richt the HC, but there’s nothing positive to say about Richt the OC. Also, you’re making it sound like Kaaya was some 12 year vet that finally saw improvement under Richt. No, Kaaya was here 3 years. One as a true freshman starter, the other as a QB on a team so poor they fired the coach midseason, and one with Richt in which Kaaya only marginally improved statistically which you consider validation for some reason.

Those last 5 games were a gift to Richt and the offense. Before facing Pitt our highest point total on offense against a P5 team was 21. Give me a break defending Richt.

So.. you're telling us NOT TO believe reports coming out of practice about the QBs? Lets see.. where would we have read that info? Where did we read that Row-sure was looking good in practice last year? Hmm... Surely it wasn't on THIS site.

If you're telling us to take a wait and see approach and not to believe what we're reading just yet.. then DON'T allow the staff to post fluff stories talking about... literally what you're telling us not to believe.

All the Jarren fans please remember how hyped you were about nkosi. Everyone wants to see the new toy. We were all praying and praising nkosi before he was the starter and now the same thing with jarren
Yeah, nkosi looked awful when they saw the field last year, and now we are acting like he could be THE CHOSEN ONE. Dude can’t even find vowels for his name, he all of a sudden gonna read defenses?

Advertisement
Back