QB performance at Greentree

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
One thing I've learned, the hard way, is that QB is the position that translates the least from the practice field to the games. They can't get hit, which affects everything they do.

When Stephen Morris was entering his senior year, Golden was telling people he was a Top 10 QB in the country. I agreed. Morris was tossing dimes all over the field and looked in total control. When the games started, he sped up his process and his accuracy suffered.

Kaaya was the same deal. Richt told boosters Kaaya was the most accurate QB he'd ever been around. Kaaya put on a show in practice. In games, his lack of quickness got exposed behind an average OL.

Rosier had the best camp of his career last August. He was under control and seemed more confident. When the games started, he got exposed because the opposing defenses had a read on his (and his playcaller's) limitations.

That's a long way of saying: don't overreact to QB practice reports. I'm the biggest culprit myself. All practices show you is skillset. It's not hard to see that Jarren is the best passer in the group. Tate is the best athlete. Kosi has a little bit of both, with the ability to make different types of throws. This competition won't be done until someone establishes themselves as the QB in real games.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Good points.

But doesn't the way they perform in practice translate to how the depth chart is created?

Let's say Tate continues his practice struggles. He may very well end up 3rd on depth chart come Fall practice. That means he will have a tough time getting extended scrimmage action against the 1's. Guess what I am trying to say is usually your starter has to win in practice before he can get an opportunity to prove himself during games.

Advertisement
Brock
In our Spring practice time frame it seems there is a pattern.

We are so accustomed to our inklings, feelings, and speculation re certain players, that when game time comes around some QB can step up and others cannot.
Practice is not a game, and when a game is on the line, no one knows from a given practice situation, whether a QB will step up with everything on the line, and bring home that win consistently.

Yup, we heard all of spring last year that Rosier had really settled in as the #1 QB and was making all the right plays. The I saw the spring game. Against the first team defense Rosier looked rushed and uncomfortable. Perry and Williams looked OK against the 2's and 3's but against the 1's they were deer in headlights.

Brad Kaaya would be the flag football champion of the world but when the bullets were flying and pressure was coming, he'd fold up like a cheap suit.

Good points.

But doesn't the way they perform in practice translate to how the depth chart is created?

Yes, but as of now, there hasn't been any practice with a live rush. They've pretty much just been running drills and playing 7-7 (no offensive or defensive lines) thus no pass rush and no pressure. Although I heard today they did some short yardage and goal line work in pads so we're getting closer to seeing more game speed in practice.

Advertisement
Advertisement
All the Jarren fans please remember how hyped you were about nkosi. Everyone wants to see the new toy. We were all praying and praising nkosi before he was the starter and now the same thing with jarren

Brock
In our Spring practice time frame it seems there is a pattern.

We are so accustomed to our inklings, feelings, and speculation re certain players, that when game time comes around some QB can step up and others cannot.
Practice is not a game, and when a game is on the line, no one knows from a given practice situation, whether a QB will step up with everything on the line, and bring home that win consistently.
So what I hear you saying is practice is about tangibles. It’s the intangibles that come forward in game situation. Predictable verses the Unpredictable.

My question is, who bails when all is said and done. Who sees #3 as an excuse to leave for playing time.?

I read on a FB post the following from someone that SUPPOSEDLY viewed practice: Jarren is the most accurate within 15 yards. Tate is the best passing down the middle, not as accurate throwing down the sideline. Noksi is the best passing past 15 yards, not good passing over the middle. Tate of course is the better runner. We got options so the QBs gotta bring that A game baby.

Advertisement
Back