Preview of the Lashlee/King combination...

Advertisement

Houston vs Navy - D'Eriq King went 25/38 for 413yds 3TD's at 65.8% passing with 7 carries for 56yds & 1TD rushing.

SMU vs USF - SMU's offense put up 497yds (252 passing & 245 rushing) putting up 48 points with Buechele throwing 21/25 for 226yds 3TD's passing & 5 carries for 27yds with 1TD rushing. Plus SMU's RB Xavier Jones rushed for 155yds off just 15 carries.

Obviously, King is a completely different QB than Buechele, but the point is when looking at many of the passing/run plays vs Navy & combine that with a very similar scheme that SMU was running, it's a potential explosive dynamic offense that will give Defenses fits.

Lashlee+King+Harris/Chaney/Knighton+Wiggins/Pope/Harley/Payton/Redding/Restrepo+Brevin Jordan/Mallory/Hodges = High octane fast paced offensive productivity.

Aside from the WR's, our RB's should be the most amped about us landing King, his mobility is special & adding the QB option to the run game where the QB is a dynamic playmaker with legit 4.3/4.4 speed opens up the running lanes for them more than anyone.

I know, "shouldn't get excited, we still suck, we say this every year" etc.. Trust me I got it, but I don't care.

I'm gonna be hyped about the potentiality of this offense finally reaching its zenith & becoming an explosive point scoring machine. If we add Keith Corbin too that'll only make us stronger & I think we're after a Grad OT that will enroll in May as well, so the OL under Justice should/could be improved.

I already know how some of yall will respond, don't care, I'm hyped & no amount of moping will make me change my opinion.

Lashlee & King could be lethal, here's to hoping they are, we're due for a good season... 🙏🏾 Please let it happen.

With you Liberty, we didn’t have THIS level of QB coupled with THIS level OC last year. Everyone who puts in the work will eat buffet style this season. Bows the time to shift the culture completely - no more having to play kids who aren’t putting in the work to earn their playing time. What kid wouldn’t want to play in this offense with our new QB?

I’ll be honest things were very bleak with last season’s offerings - more like scraps. But you’d have to be a morbid downer not to be smiling after today’s pickups. QB? Check. WDE? Check. K? Check. Plus the kids we signed for 2020? Yeah I’d say the skies the limit for the Canes now. But that don’t mean **** unless they rise up to the challenge and work hard, grinding it out day after day to improve and solidify what the coaches are teaching. We do that, the world shall be out oyster!!!

Ole Miss & Arkansas were both after him, and had he not committed today he 100% was in discussion for LSU but they weren't in a rush to get him.

I think using that argument doesn't work because we got him due to urgency of the fact we needed him enrolled by 1/21. If we had the same enrollment date as other teams he would've taken more visits & probably wouldn't have came here.

Also, you can't judge the 2019 season because Dana Holgorsen came in & completely changed the offense, he wasn't running the same scheme that Briles ran & never got comfortable in it. The reason why Lashlee wanted him is because he knows what he can do with him in his system, if he wasn't that good Lash wouldn't be wasting his first year on a transfer QB that he doesn't think he can work wonders with.

I think you're honestly just being a contrarian just to be one, the "red flags" aren't really red flags, you're kinda just reaching for something to swing the pendulum back so that people don't get too overhyped which is understandable, but your honestly reaching my dude lol.

And the whole G5 vs P5 thing doesn apply here, we lost to two G5 teams last year & almost got beat by CMU, we're not above taking a great QB from a G5. Va Tech won games last year with an extremely mediocre QB, you don't need an elite 5-star Clemson transfer to win games in the Coastal.

We won 10 games with Malik Rosier for God sakes, who gives a fck what conference King is from lol.

1. We were his best offer.

2. So...his only games against the P5 came in 2019, but we cant judge the 2019 season because he was running a new offense??...but **** be running a new offense in the P5 in 2020. That makes no sense, man. Lashlee was looking for anyone with a pulse at QB, brother. Jarren Williams and NKosi Perry stink...we had high interest in Anthony Brown and Jett Duffey...lets not act like Lashlee was extremely picky. I'm just saying...lets try and be objective.

3. In what way does G5 -> P5 not apply HERE? That is what this is. Miami stinks. I'm not saying we shouldn't have taken him...he's clearly a very good QB...I'm just making note, that we probably should chill on the sky high expectations. Once again, I'm struggling to find a G5 QB that moves to P5 and maintains their career status quo or exceeds expectations.

Is he an upgrade? Yeah...but we were talking a week ago about Anthony Brown or Jett Duffey being upgrades.

With that said, I am not sure what argument you are making by the end...all I'm saying is that I do not expect him to be a 64%, ~3000 yard passing, 1000 yard rushing, 40+ touchdown player here and perhaps it would behoove us to take a peek at 2019 games v. Washington State (SP+ 96 defense) and Oklahoma (SP+ 36 defense) for some more in depth analysis of what we can expect versus some of the quality of opponents we'll play next year. Its not irrelevant to discussion or analysis on the player.

He's really good, I am not sure how many times I need to repeat that...I'm not being contrarian, but I am also not going to dismiss the jump from G5 to P5. Its not nothing and it needs to be noted.

2. So...his only games against the P5 came in 2019, but we cant judge the 2019 season because he was running a new offense??...but **** be running a new offense in the P5 in 2020. That makes no sense, man. Lashlee was looking for anyone with a pulse at QB, brother. Jarren Williams and NKosi Perry stink...we had high interest in Anthony Brown and Jett Duffey...lets not act like Lashlee was extremely picky. I'm just saying...lets try and be objective.

3. In what way does G5 -> P5 not apply HERE? That is what this is. Miami stinks. I'm not saying we shouldn't have taken him...he's clearly a very good QB...I'm just making note, that we probably should chill on the sky high expectations. Once again, I'm struggling to find a G5 QB that moves to P5 and maintains their career status quo or exceeds expectations.

Is he an upgrade? Yeah...but we were talking a week ago about Anthony Brown or Jett Duffey being upgrades.

With that said, I am not sure what argument you are making by the end...all I'm saying is that I do not expect him to be a 64%, ~3000 yard passing, 1000 yard rushing, 40+ touchdown player here and perhaps it would behoove us to take a peek at 2019 games v. Washington State (SP+ 96 defense) and Oklahoma (SP+ 36 defense) for some more in depth analysis of what we can expect versus some of the quality of opponents we'll play next year. Its not irrelevant to discussion or analysis on the player.

He's really good, I am not sure how many times I need to repeat that...I'm not being contrarian, but I am also not going to dismiss the jump from G5 to P5. Its not nothing and it needs to be noted.

I see where you are coming from and you are making some good points.

That said , we saw a JUCO player come into UVA and put up about 2700 yards, 65% , and 25 Tds in the air and over 900 yards rushing in his very first season. And that offense was not as aggressive and quick and dynamic as this one is supposed to be.
So you never know. But UVA is a disciplined team as I mentioned in another thread. (We clearly have to work on that.,)

Advertisement

1.) Arizona & Texas Tech aren't in the P5?? He played them in 18'. I want you to tell me his stats against those 2 P5 teams playing in an Offense that was tailored to his skillset.

2.) Have you heard of Gardner Minshew?? Where did Leach find him from, and did he exceed expectations at Wazzu??

A kicker from FAU, a D lineman from Temple and a QB from Houston who looks like Mugsy Bogues in a football helmet, and some of you guys are fapping all over yourselves. I’ll wait and see. The head coach and his staff are largely the same, and the AD is what he is.

I think King is a really good QB. He was the best - from a talent perspective - on the market. However, it seems truly, Miami was his best offer, and thats weird to me and a bit of a red flag. Sorry, but it is.

We saw a similar story last year with Jalen Hurts...but then a better offer came in and we weren't even in the discussion at that point. We saw what became of Jalen Hurts, but he was already a highly regarded P5 QB.

I think there is a few more question marks to King's game than we'd be willing to admit so far. After getting a new offense, his performance against the P5 wasn't great in 2019. In 2018, there's just a sample of what he can do against the G5.

He's an incredible G5 QB. Incredible.

However, the number of G5 QBs that jump up to P5 and succeed to the same level are...I'm reaching for examples of homeruns or guys that maintain their status quo...I just don't know of one off the top of my head, tbh.

There are just some red flags and/or question marks many of you aren't accounting for right now.

What I like most about him will be his ability to run the football. Miami hasn't had a QB like that and he brings a dynamic that could bail us out of so many bad situations that would have had us toast in previous years. Also in the red zone. Perry and Williams were notoriously gunshy about taking off. Same with pretty much every QB we've had lately.

He's an upgrade over Jarren Williams and NKosi Perry...that I will not even contend...he's much better...but I think expecting him to be some P5 version of what we've already seen from him is asking a bit much and giving you unreal expectations.
You say no one better wanted him. What top 5 programs were looking for a QB when King entered the portal?

Why do UM fans think UM is such a lame offer? Houston kids still love Miami. I’m glad that a lot of kids and their families aren’t as gloomy about this program as the folks who supposedly root for it. This program has proven to be deadly when things are clicking.

I see where you are coming from and you are making some good points.

That said , we saw a JUCO player come into UVA and put up about 2700 yards, 65% , and 25 Tds in the air and over 900 yards rushing in his very first season. And that offense was not as aggressive and quick and dynamic as this one is supposed to be.
So you never know. But UVA is a disciplined team as I mentioned in another thread. (We clearly have to work on that.,)

He's not making any good pts. He's just reaching & forcefully insisting on playing the role of contrarian as usual.

Advertisement
Ole Miss & Arkansas were both after him, and had he not committed today he 100% was in discussion for LSU but they weren't in a rush to get him.

I think using that argument doesn't work because we got him due to urgency of the fact we needed him enrolled by 1/21. If we had the same enrollment date as other teams he would've taken more visits & probably wouldn't have came here.

Also, you can't judge the 2019 season because Dana Holgorsen came in & completely changed the offense, he wasn't running the same scheme that Briles ran & never got comfortable in it. The reason why Lashlee wanted him is because he knows what he can do with him in his system, if he wasn't that good Lash wouldn't be wasting his first year on a transfer QB that he doesn't think he can work wonders with.

I think you're honestly just being a contrarian just to be one, the "red flags" aren't really red flags, you're kinda just reaching for something to swing the pendulum back so that people don't get too overhyped which is understandable, but your honestly reaching my dude lol.

And the whole G5 vs P5 thing doesn apply here, we lost to two G5 teams last year & almost got beat by CMU, we're not above taking a great QB from a G5. Va Tech won games last year with an extremely mediocre QB, you don't need an elite 5-star Clemson transfer to win games in the Coastal.

We won 10 games with Malik Rosier for God sakes, who gives a fck what conference King is from lol.
Plenty of G5 guys get drafted in the first round every year. Trying to make the argument that he’s not good because he was a G5 guy is retarded.

So you just gonna ignore Arizona and Houston in 2018? Not to mention USF and Memphis who were ranked in 2018?? CMOn @BoxingRobes your better then this

The jump from G5 to P5 argument is invalid because we've won with QB's who should've been playing DIII ball.

And how exactly was he supposed to perform vs Oklahoma & Wazzu while running Dana's trash offense? His QB's coach was Marquel Blackwell, which affected his development because they changed everything around & tried to have him playing in system that he wasn't comfortable with. You do know Holgorsen is a shìt play caller right?

Vs Wash St he rushed for 94yds with 2TD's & vs Oklahoma he rushed for 103yds & 1TD, he didn't throw an INT in any of those games & it wasn't all on him that Houston lost. He didn't even play that bad vs those teams, he was up against two teams that had more talent than what he was playing with at HTown & was hampered by a shìt corch & play caller.

He fits better in our system because Lashlee specifically wants a QB with mobility. He made it work with Buechele at SMU despite Shane not being much of a runner at all, but his ideal QB is one that can run & pass. The offense we're going to be running here is much more similar to what he ran with Briles than what Holgorsen likes to run.

I get that you think expectations should be lowered, it makes since given our history to not get too overhyped by January moves & to lower expectations as much as possible to lessen the blow when/if we get letdown during the season I get it...

But that wasn't really the point of the thread, I made no predictions about his actual numbers, I simply pointed to examples of Running QB's that have been productive that have run similar style offenses. All I said was I was excited about the potential of what the offense could look like.

Just because you don't think he's going to be productive doesn't mean he won't be, we'll all find out at the same time.

And again the whole G5 to P5 thing is seriously irrelevant. We're a middle of the road Coastal team, we're essentially two steps away from being a G5. UCF, Memphis & SMU could beat every team in the ACC not named Clemson, our conference & division in particular is not some B1G or SEC West juggernaut.

The level of football is not significantly different, he'll be fine.

Advertisement
I'll say what I said in the other thread. King has really strong strengths - deep ball accuracy, speed - but he has limitations (size, throw velocity, pocket skills). It's up to the coaching staff to design offense that caters to all of that, and the WRs have to actually start making plays. Kendal Briles is no offensive savant but his offense played to King's strengths. I wouldn't put much stock into 2019 for King since Lashlee is the OC now. Context matters to QBs, especially ones that lack universal traits for any offense.

Jalen Hurts went to Oklahoma with an inferior track record as a passer and balled out for the most part. King is smaller and has less arm strength but he's not as mistake prone. Time for Miami to make offensive players look better, not worse.

You say no one better wanted him. What top 5 programs were looking for a QB when King entered the portal?

Why do UM fans think UM is such a lame offer? Houston kids still love Miami. I’m glad that a lot of kids and their families aren’t as gloomy about this program as the folks who supposedly root for it. This program has proven to be deadly when things are clicking.
Ole Miss, Arkansas & Maryland were actively recruiting him & without question if he didn't commit to us today by next week LSU or Oklahoma would've got involved.

Ole Miss, Arkansas & Maryland were actively recruiting him & without question if he didn't commit to us today by next week LSU or Oklahoma would've got involved.
These guys claim to be UM fans but all they do is **** on everything UM. If you’re a UM fan and can’t feel good today, then it’s time to either find a new hobby or a different team.

As for Old **** and Arkansas they suck too and neither can hold our jock when we’re right. This dude claims no top programs wanted King, but none of the current elite programs are looking for a transfer QB.

Go down the list. LSU has been grooming Brennan for 3 years. I think he’s their guy. Taint has Fields. If OU goes for another transfer this year they’ll never sign another elite HS QB. Rattler and Mordecai would leave too. Clemson is set. Baga has their dudes already.

Advertisement

FWIW, Gardner Minshew threw for 24 TD 11 INTs in 2 years at East Carolina. Went from walking on at Bama/working to be a coach to 38 TD 7 INTs at WSU and 6th round pick, then started 12 games as a rookie

Advertisement
Back