Preview of the Lashlee/King combination...

Advertisement
You say no one better wanted him. What top 5 programs were looking for a QB when King entered the portal?

Why do UM fans think UM is such a lame offer? Houston kids still love Miami. I’m glad that a lot of kids and their families aren’t as gloomy about this program as the folks who supposedly root for it. This program has proven to be deadly when things are clicking.

Yeah - fans thinking that Miami is such a ***** place to land kinda gets under my skin. Folks keep making these comments about players and coaches who choose Coral Gables as if it’s such a crappy place to be. We have the best back yard in the game - and a huge brand.

We just need the right Captain - and a competent AD.

The jump from G5 to P5 argument is invalid because we've won with QB's who should've been playing DIII ball.

And how exactly was he supposed to perform vs Oklahoma & Wazzu while running Dana's trash offense? His QB's coach was Marquel Blackwell, which affected his development because they changed everything around & tried to have him playing in system that he wasn't comfortable with. You do know Holgorsen is a shìt play caller right?

Vs Wash St he rushed for 94yds with 2TD's & vs Oklahoma he rushed for 103yds & 1TD, he didn't throw an INT in any of those games & it wasn't all on him that Houston lost. He didn't even play that bad vs those teams, he was up against two teams that had more talent than what he was playing with at HTown & was hampered by a shìt corch & play caller.

He fits better in our system because Lashlee specifically wants a QB with mobility. He made it work with Buechele at SMU despite Shane not being much of a runner at all, but his ideal QB is one that can run & pass. The offense we're going to be running here is much more similar to what he ran with Briles than what Holgorsen likes to run.

I get that you think expectations should be lowered, it makes since given our history to not get too overhyped by January moves & to lower expectations as much as possible to lessen the blow when/if we get letdown during the season I get it...

But that wasn't really the point of the thread, I made no predictions about his actual numbers, I simply pointed to examples of Running QB's that have been productive that have run similar style offenses. All I said was I was excited about the potential of what the offense could look like.

Just because you don't think he's going to be productive doesn't mean he won't be, we'll all find out at the same time.

And again the whole G5 to P5 thing is seriously irrelevant. We're a middle of the road Coastal team, we're essentially two steps away from being a G5. UCF, Memphis & SMU could beat every team in the ACC not named Clemson, our conference & division in particular is not some B1G or SEC West juggernaut.

The level of football is not significantly different, he'll be fine.

I'm not going to respond to others hitting me with that quote reply or @ because most of them are bozos...but you're usually a level headed guy, so we can engage in some discourse that might be meaningful.

Once again, I'm not saying he's bad...I shouldn't have to say this. He's clearly very good and this was about as good as you're going to get for a GradTransfer option...but, we need to add some layers to the discussion on the signing, but that is not something that often happens here and its often why everyone is so shocked when we still stink, because no one thought some numbers mattered. Most of the time, they do and they effect how good is someone is going to be HERE, and thats all I care about.

If the jump is not significant...explain the significant decrease in completion percentage between his P5 numbers and his G5 numbers. In four games (with 130+ attempts, which is significant enough) versus the Power 5, he's a 54% passer. Those pass defenses he played against were 121st, 129th, 58th, and 114th in the nation. The man played some of the worst P5 BigXII and Pac12 defenses on planet earth and there is a significant drop on completion percentage. It doesn't make him bad, but its a note we should probably flesh out. He's clearly an upgrade over Jarren Williams and Nkosi Perry -- but I think we can all agree that we're not here for some "improvement" to 8-4 and we're not in this thread for a QB that comes in and throws 54% in ACC play.

While everyone can jump in "whale, Gardner Minshew"...I'm not going to point out outliers like Awsi Dooger, but the point remains, exceptional G5 to P5 jumps are anomalous, not the norm. Whether that number is 0, 1, 2, 3...its small and doesn't happen often.

I don't hate Dana nearly as much as you (the man has made me a lot of money over the years)...and Houston still had 6.04 YPP last year, while SMU's Top 10 offense had 6.14 YPP and Houston was still in the top half of the nation of SP+ offense with the situation they had...and Dana usually has a Top 20-ish offense. I don't think the situation King walked out on was nearly as bad as you'd make it seem. Last year's Houston offense was the worst Dana has had by a significant margin in a very long time - but as HighSeas noted above, King also isn't a QB for every system.

I also made note in my first post, I think what he brings to the table is his ability to run, which is something our offense has severely lacked. Thats his trump card for me right now. But I'd like to look deeper at his P5 games and see why he had such a significant drop

Last edited:

Houston vs Navy - D'Eriq King went 25/38 for 413yds 3TD's at 65.8% passing with 7 carries for 56yds & 1TD rushing.

SMU vs USF - SMU's offense put up 497yds (252 passing & 245 rushing) putting up 48 points with Buechele throwing 21/25 for 226yds 3TD's passing & 5 carries for 27yds with 1TD rushing. Plus SMU's RB Xavier Jones rushed for 155yds off just 15 carries.

Obviously, King is a completely different QB than Buechele, but the point is when looking at many of the passing/run plays vs Navy & combine that with a very similar scheme that SMU was running, it's a potential explosive dynamic offense that will give Defenses fits.

Lashlee+King+Harris/Chaney/Knighton+Wiggins/Pope/Harley/Payton/Redding/Restrepo+Brevin Jordan/Mallory/Hodges = High octane fast paced offensive productivity.

Aside from the WR's, our RB's should be the most amped about us landing King, his mobility is special & adding the QB option to the run game where the QB is a dynamic playmaker with legit 4.3/4.4 speed opens up the running lanes for them more than anyone.

I know, "shouldn't get excited, we still suck, we say this every year" etc.. Trust me I got it, but I don't care.

I'm gonna be hyped about the potentiality of this offense finally reaching its zenith & becoming an explosive point scoring machine. If we add Keith Corbin too that'll only make us stronger & I think we're after a Grad OT that will enroll in May as well, so the OL under Justice should/could be improved.

I already know how some of yall will respond, don't care, I'm hyped & no amount of moping will make me change my opinion.

Lashlee & King could be lethal, here's to hoping they are, we're due for a good season... 🙏🏾 Please let it happen.

Can Kin

Houston vs Navy - D'Eriq King went 25/38 for 413yds 3TD's at 65.8% passing with 7 carries for 56yds & 1TD rushing.

SMU vs USF - SMU's offense put up 497yds (252 passing & 245 rushing) putting up 48 points with Buechele throwing 21/25 for 226yds 3TD's passing & 5 carries for 27yds with 1TD rushing. Plus SMU's RB Xavier Jones rushed for 155yds off just 15 carries.

Obviously, King is a completely different QB than Buechele, but the point is when looking at many of the passing/run plays vs Navy & combine that with a very similar scheme that SMU was running, it's a potential explosive dynamic offense that will give Defenses fits.

Lashlee+King+Harris/Chaney/Knighton+Wiggins/Pope/Harley/Payton/Redding/Restrepo+Brevin Jordan/Mallory/Hodges = High octane fast paced offensive productivity.

Aside from the WR's, our RB's should be the most amped about us landing King, his mobility is special & adding the QB option to the run game where the QB is a dynamic playmaker with legit 4.3/4.4 speed opens up the running lanes for them more than anyone.

I know, "shouldn't get excited, we still suck, we say this every year" etc.. Trust me I got it, but I don't care.

I'm gonna be hyped about the potentiality of this offense finally reaching its zenith & becoming an explosive point scoring machine. If we add Keith Corbin too that'll only make us stronger & I think we're after a Grad OT that will enroll in May as well, so the OL under Justice should/could be improved.

I already know how some of yall will respond, don't care, I'm hyped & no amount of moping will make me change my opinion.

Lashlee & King could be lethal, here's to hoping they are, we're due for a good season... 🙏🏾 Please let it happen.

I'm most excited for King's ability to run in the redzone... When Rosier did it for us it was a back breaker play for us. Heck, all around the country its probably the most effective way to get yourself points. We just need to not f*ck this up now. King is not allowed to get injured.

Well said.

Our first 4 games will be telling, we should boat race Temple (Lash carved them up at SMU), UAB is a good well coached team with a good Defense but I like our chances, Wagner is a scrimmage & @ Mich St will be a good litmus test for the season.

Mich St is not a good team, their offense is trash & Dantonio is on his way out, but they always have a stout Defense, if we can beat them on the road it bodes well for the direction of the rest of the season, we lose that game & it'll be a telltale sign that Diaz ain't the guy.

The new direction of this team has be an offense that strikes fear in the hearts of teams, it doesn't matter how good the Defense is or could be, if we can't move the ball at will & score points we're doomed for another 6/7 win season.
I usually ride with you so I will not go downer on you. After watching Rosier take us to 10-0 thanks mostly to his wheels, I have gotten more comfortable with QBs that can run. Problem is we never seem to have any that look much better than Bernie running the ball. If this kid is legit 4.3 -4.4 then it will change the game for us. If he can pass too then we have a faster version of Rosier who can wing the ball too. That has my interest.

Advertisement
Brock with all due respect you dont know what your talking about, your looking at stats and not games... Go watch Last years Oklahoma game in full or even last years game against Washington State. I watched because I put money or him for Heisman.. He is a much better runner then passer. Yes I understand Briles left and he had a new coordinator, But even under Briles it was easy to see that King's running on 3rd and 4th down is what made that team hum. This is exactly what we need a running qb who can occasionally make plays with his arm, and from what i remember #5 Stevenson looked like the best receiver
Saying he's a better runner than a passer isn't a bad thing. He runs so darn good, he could still pass really darn well, but not be as good a passer as a runner. He is really talented, and he SHOULD eat up the ACC.

This is the first time I have been excited for a QB in a very long time. I tried to be excited about Williams, because he wasn't Rosier or Perry. King is just on a different level. He sees the plays unfolding so much better than anyone on our roster. He runs, fakes runs to get WRs open, passes well... There is just no reason NOT to be excited.

This is the first real dual threat QB we have ever had. Yeah, we've had QBs that could run a bit, but not any that really put the fear of God into the D. King is going to give ACC DCs nightmares.

I usually ride with you so I will not go downer on you. After watching Rosier take us to 10-0 thanks mostly to his wheels, I have gotten more comfortable with QBs that can run. Problem is we never seem to have any that look much better than Bernie running the ball. If this kid is legit 4.3 -4.4 then it will change the game for us. If he can pass too then we have a faster version of Rosier who can wing the ball too. That has my interest.
Way better passer than Rosier. WAY better runner as well.

Advertisement
I’m excited to see our D not having the pressure of having to play perfect every snap and pressing late in games to make a play.

This - I'm a proponent of the idea that our defense will end up looking better by default, if it isn't constantly being put in bad spots by the offense. And, it's always easier to play with a lead. It has to wear on you and erode morale when your offense keeps going 3 and out no matter what you do on defense.

I think King is a really good QB. He was the best - from a talent perspective - on the market. However, it seems truly, Miami was his best offer, and thats weird to me and a bit of a red flag. Sorry, but it is.

We saw a similar story last year with Jalen Hurts...but then a better offer came in and we weren't even in the discussion at that point. We saw what became of Jalen Hurts, but he was already a highly regarded P5 QB.

I think there is a few more question marks to King's game than we'd be willing to admit so far. After getting a new offense, his performance against the P5 wasn't great in 2019. In 2018, there's just a sample of what he can do against the G5.

He's an incredible G5 QB. Incredible.

However, the number of G5 QBs that jump up to P5 and succeed to the same level are...I'm reaching for examples of homeruns or guys that maintain their status quo...I just don't know of one off the top of my head, tbh.

There are just some red flags and/or question marks many of you aren't accounting for right now.

What I like most about him will be his ability to run the football. Miami hasn't had a QB like that and he brings a dynamic that could bail us out of so many bad situations that would have had us toast in previous years. Also in the red zone. Perry and Williams were notoriously gunshy about taking off. Same with pretty much every QB we've had lately.

He's an upgrade over Jarren Williams and NKosi Perry...that I will not even contend...he's much better...but I think expecting him to be some P5 version of what we've already seen from him is asking a bit much and giving you unreal expectations.

Im genuinely curious why you choose to paint Miami as some kind of red headed stepchild offer.

Edit-I see other posters beat me to the obvious question.

If we didn't have Lashlee, I'd agree with you. I'm excited to see what they can do together.
I hope you are right. One time I pressed 10 times on hot ivory -- frigging eternal optimist. I hope Jashlee and this kid can overcome the rest of the staff and kick ***. Rosier got me to buy season tickets for the whole family again; then Rosier after another year of development made me burn the renewal notice for them. I have come to trust the administration ability to hire the right loser as HC more than I trust any hope said HC brings with him.

Putting aside the festering depression form the last 15 years, I agree that this kids look like good fit for this OC. It was Rosier's wheels that gave us the boost that one year. There was no film on a running QB at Miami for our opponents to gameplan on. The next year the knew he could not throw so stack the box killed. This kid runs faster and seems to throw better so there is hope.

Advertisement
Puzzling to me that King wanted out...I guess the Applewhite/Briles combo is that much different than Holgersen's?

Puzzling to me that King wanted out...I guess the Applewhite/Briles combo is that much different than Holgersen's?
Yeah. Basically he went from a run to pass, air Coryell pass concept, to a pass to run, west coast pass concept.

Yeah - fans thinking that Miami is such a ***** place to land kinda gets under my skin. Folks keep making these comments about players and coaches who choose Coral Gables as if it’s such a crappy place to be. We have the best back yard in the game - and a huge brand.

We just need the right Captain - and a competent AD.
I feel the exact same way. Most of these dudes have never been on our campus and have probably not experienced what this program looks like when it’s humming.

**** even that 10 week period a couple years ago had us front and center everywhere. Imagine what happens if we can string together 3 ten plus win seasons and some real damage in the ACC, which should be easy with a competent HC.

Advertisement
The jump from G5 to P5 argument is invalid because we've won with QB's who should've been playing DIII ball.

And how exactly was he supposed to perform vs Oklahoma & Wazzu while running Dana's trash offense? His QB's coach was Marquel Blackwell, which affected his development because they changed everything around & tried to have him playing in system that he wasn't comfortable with. You do know Holgorsen is a shìt play caller right?

Vs Wash St he rushed for 94yds with 2TD's & vs Oklahoma he rushed for 103yds & 1TD, he didn't throw an INT in any of those games & it wasn't all on him that Houston lost. He didn't even play that bad vs those teams, he was up against two teams that had more talent than what he was playing with at HTown & was hampered by a shìt corch & play caller.

He fits better in our system because Lashlee specifically wants a QB with mobility. He made it work with Buechele at SMU despite Shane not being much of a runner at all, but his ideal QB is one that can run & pass. The offense we're going to be running here is much more similar to what he ran with Briles than what Holgorsen likes to run.

I get that you think expectations should be lowered, it makes since given our history to not get too overhyped by January moves & to lower expectations as much as possible to lessen the blow when/if we get letdown during the season I get it...

But that wasn't really the point of the thread, I made no predictions about his actual numbers, I simply pointed to examples of Running QB's that have been productive that have run similar style offenses. All I said was I was excited about the potential of what the offense could look like.

Just because you don't think he's going to be productive doesn't mean he won't be, we'll all find out at the same time.

And again the whole G5 to P5 thing is seriously irrelevant. We're a middle of the road Coastal team, we're essentially two steps away from being a G5. UCF, Memphis & SMU could beat every team in the ACC not named Clemson, our conference & division in particular is not some B1G or SEC West juggernaut.

The level of football is not significantly different, he'll be fine.
El you should know by now, misery loves shallow company lulz. Nothing wrong with getting amped up for the possibility of what King will do in Lashlee’s offense, I am as well. I think D’Eriq is going to crush opponents and with the likes of Jordan, Mallory, Payton, Pope, Harley, and our staple of RB’s it’s truly going to be choose your poison because it’s going to be lethal. Couple that with a Top 20-25 defense and there’s finally a slither of hope we can do well in 2020. Imagine IF we get a Top 25 offense to go with a defense we have been fielding since 2016? Who on that weak schedule could beat the Canes? Sure, Michigan State on the road, shoot even UAB has a good D but they’re not holding up against a QB who can BOTH pass and poses the threat to go yard on ya any down. I know the stink of what was last year - there’s no forgetting that dive bomb. But with these latest additions to the roster how can you not get excited?

This - I'm a proponent of the idea that our defense will end up looking better by default, if it isn't constantly being put in bad spots by the offense. And, it's always easier to play with a lead. It has to wear on you and erode morale when your offense keeps going 3 and out no matter what you do on defense.
I concur and even feel our takeaways are going to go up as teams either try and build a big lead for fear we will erode it or the opposite - we build a big lead and they’re playing catch-up. Either or it means the defense will get the luxury of pinning their ears back and coming full force without fear of ******** the entire game up.

We have to be due! Right? I mean we’ve been through enough the last 20 years, this is our re-birth.

I feel the exact same way. Most of these dudes have never been on our campus and have probably not experienced what this program looks like when it’s humming.

**** even that 10 week period a couple years ago had us front and center everywhere. Imagine what happens if we can string together 3 ten plus win seasons and some real damage in the ACC, which should be easy with a competent HC.

Agreed. After we beat ND and VT - the buzz was crazy. We had Finebaum wearing the chain.

Advertisement
Back