Preview of the Lashlee/King combination...

Advertisement
If he goes 9 wins, he has to go. The BOT cannot be stupid enough to count that as an improvement. Offense is the problem? QB is the problem? Supposedly fixed. You have to look at how weak the schedule is. You cannot keep giving him excuses.
I agree. We should win 11 games without thinking about it.

Lashlee had a specialized guy come in and help add air raid concepts into his offense at SMU. Success will be defined by what he learned or who he eventually wants to bring in to help him call the offense. Could be lethal though

Advertisement
Anyone that broke Kyler Murray's Texas High School passing touchdown record is good enough for me. I don't get the pessimism from a few of the posters, when King has proven his worth. I just want to see an offense that breaks the will of every opponent that is on the schedule.

30/50 431yds 5TD's 0INT's with 11 carries for 47yds & 1TD.

6TD's & no TO's and their Defense still gave up 63 points.

If you wanna know why King might've looked a little different at times vs P5 schools, it's because he was their offense, it was King vs every team they played. Houston didn't have a lot of talent on the roster except one or two WR's, he was required to carry the entire team on his back & he still performed up to standard.

If shìt for brains Jarren & Kosi can beat FSU in back to back seasons while they have an above 50% Blue chip ratio both years, then a smart hardworking electric dynamic playmaker in an conducive offense can transition just fine to P5 football & win us games.

Don't care what anybody says, King with some legit weapons around him is going to smoke the ****** Corstal.

He went 28/40 419yds 5TD's at 70%cmp with 12 carries for 132yds 2TD's rushing.

He accounted for 551yds & 7TD's against a (at that time) 7-0 USF squad that actually had a pretty good Defense under Charlie Strong.

I've been watching a lot of those Houston games & there's just no way I can see him failing here in this system.

He accounted for 551yds & 7TD's against a (at that time) 7-0 USF squad that actually had a pretty good Defense under Charlie Strong.

I've been watching a lot of those Houston games & there's just no way I can see him failing here in this system.

He looked pretty good.
Should do well here.

Advertisement
I'm not going to respond to others hitting me with that quote reply or @ because most of them are bozos...but you're usually a level headed guy, so we can engage in some discourse that might be meaningful.

Once again, I'm not saying he's bad...I shouldn't have to say this. He's clearly very good and this was about as good as you're going to get for a GradTransfer option...but, we need to add some layers to the discussion on the signing, but that is not something that often happens here and its often why everyone is so shocked when we still stink, because no one thought some numbers mattered. Most of the time, they do and they effect how good is someone is going to be HERE, and thats all I care about.

If the jump is not significant...explain the significant decrease in completion percentage between his P5 numbers and his G5 numbers. In four games (with 130+ attempts, which is significant enough) versus the Power 5, he's a 54% passer. Those pass defenses he played against were 121st, 129th, 58th, and 114th in the nation. The man played some of the worst P5 BigXII and Pac12 defenses on planet earth and there is a significant drop on completion percentage. It doesn't make him bad, but its a note we should probably flesh out. He's clearly an upgrade over Jarren Williams and Nkosi Perry -- but I think we can all agree that we're not here for some "improvement" to 8-4 and we're not in this thread for a QB that comes in and throws 54% in ACC play.

While everyone can jump in "whale, Gardner Minshew"...I'm not going to point out outliers like Awsi Dooger, but the point remains, exceptional G5 to P5 jumps are anomalous, not the norm. Whether that number is 0, 1, 2, 3...its small and doesn't happen often.

I don't hate Dana nearly as much as you (the man has made me a lot of money over the years)...and Houston still had 6.04 YPP last year, while SMU's Top 10 offense had 6.14 YPP and Houston was still in the top half of the nation of SP+ offense with the situation they had...and Dana usually has a Top 20-ish offense. I don't think the situation King walked out on was nearly as bad as you'd make it seem. Last year's Houston offense was the worst Dana has had by a significant margin in a very long time - but as HighSeas noted above, King also isn't a QB for every system.

I also made note in my first post, I think what he brings to the table is his ability to run, which is something our offense has severely lacked. Thats his trump card for me right now. But I'd like to look deeper at his P5 games and see why he had such a significant drop
this post and the points made are valid. There’s a step up in comp and King will need to adjust to the speed of the comp from a mental standpoint..but given his athletic gifts naturally I think the adjustment shouldn’t be that steep for him. But I’m in a wait and see approach with this offense. Kings production even at the lower level makes him the best option on our roster day 1..but ppl expecting him to just dominate need to slow down..I see ppl expecting him to be a dark horse for the H

Houston vs Navy - D'Eriq King went 25/38 for 413yds 3TD's at 65.8% passing with 7 carries for 56yds & 1TD rushing.

SMU vs USF - SMU's offense put up 497yds (252 passing & 245 rushing) putting up 48 points with Buechele throwing 21/25 for 226yds 3TD's passing & 5 carries for 27yds with 1TD rushing. Plus SMU's RB Xavier Jones rushed for 155yds off just 15 carries.

Obviously, King is a completely different QB than Buechele, but the point is when looking at many of the passing/run plays vs Navy & combine that with a very similar scheme that SMU was running, it's a potential explosive dynamic offense that will give Defenses fits.

Lashlee+King+Harris/Chaney/Knighton+Wiggins/Pope/Harley/Payton/Redding/Restrepo+Brevin Jordan/Mallory/Hodges = High octane fast paced offensive productivity.

Aside from the WR's, our RB's should be the most amped about us landing King, his mobility is special & adding the QB option to the run game where the QB is a dynamic playmaker with legit 4.3/4.4 speed opens up the running lanes for them more than anyone.

I know, "shouldn't get excited, we still suck, we say this every year" etc.. Trust me I got it, but I don't care.

I'm gonna be hyped about the potentiality of this offense finally reaching its zenith & becoming an explosive point scoring machine. If we add Keith Corbin too that'll only make us stronger & I think we're after a Grad OT that will enroll in May as well, so the OL under Justice should/could be improved.

I already know how some of yall will respond, don't care, I'm hyped & no amount of moping will make me change my opinion.

Lashlee & King could be lethal, here's to hoping they are, we're due for a good season... 🙏🏾 Please let it happen.

I don't think King even runs a 4.5... he looks like a 4.6 guy. He's definitely not a 4.3 guy

Advertisement

10/13 on third downs. That’s what sticks out to me the most. Could never convert 3rd downs last year.

Houston vs Navy - D'Eriq King went 25/38 for 413yds 3TD's at 65.8% passing with 7 carries for 56yds & 1TD rushing.

SMU vs USF - SMU's offense put up 497yds (252 passing & 245 rushing) putting up 48 points with Buechele throwing 21/25 for 226yds 3TD's passing & 5 carries for 27yds with 1TD rushing. Plus SMU's RB Xavier Jones rushed for 155yds off just 15 carries.

Obviously, King is a completely different QB than Buechele, but the point is when looking at many of the passing/run plays vs Navy & combine that with a very similar scheme that SMU was running, it's a potential explosive dynamic offense that will give Defenses fits.

Lashlee+King+Harris/Chaney/Knighton+Wiggins/Pope/Harley/Payton/Redding/Restrepo+Brevin Jordan/Mallory/Hodges = High octane fast paced offensive productivity.

Aside from the WR's, our RB's should be the most amped about us landing King, his mobility is special & adding the QB option to the run game where the QB is a dynamic playmaker with legit 4.3/4.4 speed opens up the running lanes for them more than anyone.

I know, "shouldn't get excited, we still suck, we say this every year" etc.. Trust me I got it, but I don't care.

I'm gonna be hyped about the potentiality of this offense finally reaching its zenith & becoming an explosive point scoring machine. If we add Keith Corbin too that'll only make us stronger & I think we're after a Grad OT that will enroll in May as well, so the OL under Justice should/could be improved.

I already know how some of yall will respond, don't care, I'm hyped & no amount of moping will make me change my opinion.

Lashlee & King could be lethal, here's to hoping they are, we're due for a good season... 🙏🏾 Please let it happen.

If Miami, and a big IF, can start playing with a lead, can the secondary hold up to the necessary onslaught as they [opposing O] try and play catch up?

Advertisement
If Miami, and a big IF, can start playing with a lead, can the secondary hold up to the necessary onslaught as they [opposing O] try and play catch up?
If every catch-up possession is a TD (typical of a young defense) or a pick (typical of an aggressive defense playing with a lead), we'll win.

Imagine our pass rush knowing a team has to pass and take chances. Could be fun. Blades will be up to the task. Our safety play will be good. Whoever is opposite blades needs to be ready

Advertisement
Back