Preview of the Lashlee/King combination...

Miami used to be an innovative offensive team back when the game & the rules were completely different & the approach to the game was different. Gary Stevens & Bob Bratkowski were two very good Pro Style OC's who utilized the passing game in an era when Football was all about the Run game.

Coach Erickson was a great offensive mind for his time, before he came to Miami he was in places like San Jose St, Wyoming & Wash St where he developed his offense that was very cutting edge for its time which was right around the same time that Bill Walsh was developing the West Coast Offense at Stanford & San Fran with Mike Holmgren & Andy Reid.

Erickson was with Jack Elway (John's Dad) at San Jose St & at Fresno St, John Elway was running the very first Spread offense in High School at Granada Hills & when Erickson was at San Jose St as an OC he learned the One Back Spread from Cactus Jack Neumeier himself, that's why our Offenses looked like that with him as HC.

Since then, we've never run anything close to it, we've been nothing but Pro Style & while it worked through most of the 90's & early 00's, as the game exploded & expanded dozens of other teams evened the playing field & closed the talent gap by giving themselves a schematic advantage by continuing to develop & implement the Modern Spread offenses. We didn't, we got left behind & now we're actually behind the times...

The Pro Style offense still works, IF YOU HAVE THE PERSONNEL TO RUN IT. We don't & haven't had the personnel to run the Pro style since 02, but we simply refused to adapt & adjust, until now.

Rhett Lashlee will legitimately be the best offensive coordinator we've had since Chudzinski, even though the two of them run completely different offenses.
What are your thoughts on Ohio states offense? They’re kind of pro style spread with some under center stuff. Obv their talent level is extremely high

Advertisement
What are your thoughts on Ohio states offense? They’re kind of pro style spread with some under center stuff. Obv their talent level is extremely high
It's a highly proficient offense that disguises their QB's deficiencies & is predicated on relying heavily on speed on the outside. The thing about the OH St WR's is they don't really have to be top tier route runners, just be faster than the man guarding you & you win most of their matchups, because they don't have a sophiscated route tree they just focus on using his level execution & speed to create separation.

But Ryan Day is also one of the best QB developers in college football, he can take a highly inaccurate QB & have them throwing at 67-70% completion per game because he cuts the field in half & simplifies the reads for the QB. The difference between his Offense & Urby's is Urby's offense at Oh St heavily relied on QB runs & getting outside of the pocket, it's the same offense that Mullen had at UF back during the Tebow era & the offense he ran with Dak Prescott at Miss St. Day's offense is all about quick feet & quick decisions in the pocket, they run a shìt ton of shallow crossers & easy button hooks & comeback routes, quick fast rhythm throws that even the worst QB's can make with enough time in the pocket.

It's a really good highly efficient college offense for QB's, but it actually sets them behind the 8ball for the NFL, that's why most Oh St QB's in the last decade or so have been complete busts in the league.

Chise, Ive said this before, but when I went to the Gatech game in 17 (the Langham Immaculate Reception) I was on campus with Ariz, and I was blown away how it had evolved and changed from the last time I was there. Also 'the Rat', we got buzzed on beer, lol. The practice facility was just being constructed at that time. Ive said this on various podcasts I was a guest on -- who wouldn't want to be on this campus for at least a few years of their young adult life?

Then later on that season I go to the Notre Dame game, and that's when the Rock was at it's absolute best. It was vintage Orange Bowl electricity. I said to myself, 'If we ever get this right, this is what it could be.' It fits South Florida perfectly.

And when I'm traveling to fights, I always wear my Miami Nike sweatsuit (the last year they made them) and it never fails, either Im checking in or walking through the airport terminal and I always get comments -- and what's interesting is that 99-percent of them are really positive, like, 'Hey, the U!!!' -- which I find fascinating because the best era of Hurricane football was supposedly so sinister and people hated them. But honestly, the general perception of Miami is really good and people, in my view, really appreciate what they did and the characters and entertainment they provided. I honestly dont think even the UM administration understand how strong this brand is nationally.

Win consistently and be entertaining and fun, this thing can take off. C'mon Manny, don't blow this...
Agree. Everywhere I go out of state people always comment about the U when I wear my stuff...amazing brand🙌🙌🙌

Advertisement
Miami used to be an innovative offensive team back when the game & the rules were completely different & the approach to the game was different. Gary Stevens & Bob Bratkowski were two very good Pro Style OC's who utilized the passing game in an era when Football was all about the Run game.

Coach Erickson was a great offensive mind for his time, before he came to Miami he was in places like San Jose St, Wyoming & Wash St where he developed his offense that was very cutting edge for its time which was right around the same time that Bill Walsh was developing the West Coast Offense at Stanford & San Fran with Mike Holmgren & Andy Reid.

Erickson was with Jack Elway (John's Dad) at San Jose St & at Fresno St, John Elway was running the very first Spread offense in High School at Granada Hills & when Erickson was at San Jose St as an OC he learned the One Back Spread from Cactus Jack Neumeier himself, that's why our Offenses looked like that with him as HC.

Since then, we've never run anything close to it, we've been nothing but Pro Style & while it worked through most of the 90's & early 00's, as the game exploded & expanded dozens of other teams evened the playing field & closed the talent gap by giving themselves a schematic advantage by continuing to develop & implement the Modern Spread offenses. We didn't, we got left behind & now we're actually behind the times...

The Pro Style offense still works, IF YOU HAVE THE PERSONNEL TO RUN IT. We don't & haven't had the personnel to run the Pro style since 02, but we simply refused to adapt & adjust, until now.

Rhett Lashlee will legitimately be the best offensive coordinator we've had since Chudzinski, even though the two of them run completely different offenses.
Coach E was ahead of his time, no question. Here are some little know facts about his early days here. When Jimmy left in 88 guys were wondering what direction this guy from Wazzou would take the UM offense. Ironically there was a QB on the Canes roster who Coach E offered a ship to in 1988. Here’s somethings that went down: Craig was acclimated to Jimmy’s pro style, 2 back offense and was curious what changes would take place. He wasn’t sure if the new one back was a fit. Also, Lamar was ready to transfer back to Gainesville, wasn’t sure if he’d fit in. A few backs also contemplated leaving and then this kid who said no to Dennis at Wazzou and came to Coral Gables met with the offensive skill guys and told them he had watched film of the Cougars on his visit and more when he got home to Cali. He told the boys it was like nothing he had ever seen and the system would fit the Canes perfectly. He told Lamar they’ll be 3&4 wides on the field at all times and also told Lamar if you’re not one of our three or four best receivers, go back to Gainesville. He told the backs to hang in, they’d get the ball in open space. The redshirt freshman that said no to Dennis after attending the 87 Orange Bowl, got an offer from Jimmy and came to UM to play for the Canes. It was Gino who convinced guys to trust what was coming! Ironically he reunited with Coach Erickson and was part of one of college footballs best 10 year runs. Dennis takes a beating from some on this site and some of the fairy tales I read are amusing. No clue! Great call LC
1596499827393.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a highly proficient offense that disguises their QB's deficiencies & is predicated on relying heavily on speed on the outside. The thing about the OH St WR's is they don't really have to be top tier route runners, just be faster than the man guarding you & you win most of their matchups, because they don't have a sophiscated route tree they just focus on using his level execution & speed to create separation.

But Ryan Day is also one of the best QB developers in college football, he can take a highly inaccurate QB & have them throwing at 67-70% completion per game because he cuts the field in half & simplifies the reads for the QB. The difference between his Offense & Urby's is Urby's offense at Oh St heavily relied on QB runs & getting outside of the pocket, it's the same offense that Mullen had at UF back during the Tebow era & the offense he ran with Dak Prescott at Miss St. Day's offense is all about quick feet & quick decisions in the pocket, they run a shìt ton of shallow crossers & easy button hooks & comeback routes, quick fast rhythm throws that even the worst QB's can make with enough time in the pocket.

It's a really good highly efficient college offense for QB's, but it actually sets them behind the 8ball for the NFL, that's why most Oh St QB's in the last decade or so have been complete busts in the league.
Sky, it's interesting, but go back to 2003, the Florida comeback, it was clear that Brock was much better from 'the gun' and running a bit of tempo, right? Well, after that game, that should've been our base offense with him. We could've been ahead of the curve, right then. I mean, that's basically what Berlin ran in high school. But no, we were wed to pro-style because we were 'NFL U'.

Think about this, with Erickson in 89, he called his offense 'the Triple Shoot', but it was the first version of the spread. We were ahead of the curve. We were the first family with the DVD player. And unfortunately, we were the family that was still going to the RedBox every Friday night.

Now, we're Lashlee and Chill with our new Netflix offense.
According to someone who has spoken to Lashlee on several occasions and understands offense, missing spring ball because of Covid was huge as those practices are very important in picking up language and scheme with a new QB and OC. Needless to say they’ve had countless meetings but there’s no substitute for what spring ball and live ammo bring to the table. Don’t be surprised early on if you see a little combo of what King did at Houston mixed with Lashlee’s system. My guy said this is similar to when Coach E came to UM but Craig and he had all spring to pick Up schemes and terminology. Additionally when they went ones vs ones you better learn quickly because the 89 defense had a few pretty good players. While the new system is a work in progress my guy said it’s a **** of a lot easier for a 22 year old senior who has seen a lot of defenses in his day to pick up the offense than a freshman or sophomore who hasn’t taken any meaningful snaps. He is very high on Lashlee and Likens.

Last edited by a moderator:
According tosomeone who has spoken to Lashlee on several occasions and understands offense, missing spring ball because of Covid was huge as those practices are very important in picking up language and scheme with a new QB and OC. Needless to say they’ve had countless meetings but there’s no substitute for what spring ball and live ammo bring to the table. Don’t be surprised early on if you see a little combo of what King did at Houston mixed with Lashlee’s system. My guy said this is similar to when Coach E came to UM but Craig had all spring to pick Up schemes and terminology. Additionally when they went ones vs ones you better learn quickly because the 89 defense had a few pretty good players. While the new system is a work in progress my guy said it’s a **** of a lot easier for a 22 year old senior who has seen a lot of defenses in his day to pick up the offense than a freshman or sophomore who hasn’t taken any meaningful snaps. He is very high on Lashlee and Likens.

B, Ive read and hear from Lashlee himself that the strength of this system is that it's not overly complicated. Which is particularly vital this off-season. But yeah, practice is important, regardless, especially with a new scheme. I do think there will have to be an element of : 'D'eriq create some magic, make stuff happen' at certain points this season, because it will be far from perfect.

We're gonna see just how many of our guys were really on the ball this off-season as they were left alone the past few months.

B, Ive read and hear from Lashlee himself that the strength of this system is that it's not overly complicated. Which is particularly vital this off-season. But yeah, practice is important, regardless, especially with a new scheme. I do think there will have to be an element of : 'D'eriq create some magic, make stuff happen' at certain points this season, because it will be far from perfect.

We're gonna see just how many of our guys were really on the ball this off-season as they were left alone the past few months.
I know for a fact that the team has weekly Zoom meetings specifically the offensive units where Lashlee goes over the playbook & will essentially quiz guys on things they've been going over.

And also since King has been back to Miami back in June/July, the players routinely get together & run 7v7 type drills & where they're playing in shorts. It's certainly not the same as running practice but it's great to know they're building continuity & working together to get their consistency & rhythm in cohesion.

The lost reps definitely suck, but at least we got 4 practices in before the shutdown when several other P5's & G5's didn't even get a chance to have a Spring camp. Fall practice should be starting pretty soon actually so our boys will be out there full throttle in no time.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Coach E was ahead of his time, no question. Here are some little know facts about his early days here. When Jimmy left in 88 guys were wondering what direction this guy from Wazzou would take the UM offense. Ironically there was a QB on the Canes roster who Coach E offered a ship to in 1988. Here’s somethings that went down: Craig was acclimated to Jimmy’s pro style, 2 back offense and was curious what changes would take place. He wasn’t sure if the new one back was a fit. Also, Lamar was ready to transfer back to Gainesville, wasn’t sure if he’d fit in. A few backs also contemplated leaving and then this kid who said no to Dennis and came to Coral Gables met with the offensive skill guys and told them he had watched film of the Cougars on his visit and more when he got home to Cali. He told the boys it was like nothing he had ever seen and the system would fit the Canes perfectly. He told Lamar they’ll be 3&4 wides on the field at all times and also told Lamar if you’re not one of our three or four best receivers, go back to Gainesville. He told the backs to hang in, they’d get the ball in open space. The redshirt freshman that said no to Dennis after attending the 87 Orange Bowl, got an offer from Jimmy and came to UM to play for the Canes. It was Gino who convinced guys to trust what was coming! Ironically he reunited with Coach Erickson and was part of one of college footballs best 10 year runs. Dennis takes a beating from some on this site and some of the fairy tales I read are amusing. No clue! Great call LC
View attachment 125594
Great X and O coach. Didn’t know how to control the locker room. Had personal demons like most of us but genuinely cared about his players.

LCE, picking this comment out to make a point but not directed at you. Just this comment can be found often in canes discussions, and explains a lot of our failure the past 20 years. It’s an upside down comment. The question isn’t supposed to be whether the pro set ‘can still work if if if.’’ It’s supposed to be ‘what works best with what we’ve got?’

This program has stubbornly tried to prove it can win with a pro set for no discernible reason. We won with era-appropriate innovation, not some timeless scheme.

The new offense has me more excited than I have been in a long time. I never really bought into the Enos hype, but didn’t want to sound like a mope. Fisch had some good games, but nothing like what we are about to see. The fast paced, up tempo spread offense is like nothing we have seen since Erickson. He never gets enough respect around here BTW. The changes on offense kind of remind me of our defense now. We don’t win them all, but **** it is nice seeing sacks and interceptions. Let the athletes make game changing plays. We are da []_[] after all.

Obviously, King is a completely different QB than Buechele, but the point is when looking at many of the passing/run plays vs Navy & combine that with a very similar scheme that SMU was running, it's a potential explosive dynamic offense that will give Defenses fits.

Lashlee+King+Harris/Chaney/Knighton+Wiggins/Pope/Harley/Payton/Redding/Restrepo+Brevin Jordan/Mallory/Hodges = High octane fast paced offensive productivity.

Aside from the WR's, our RB's should be the most amped about us landing King, his mobility is special & adding the QB option to the run game where the QB is a dynamic playmaker with legit 4.3/4.4 speed opens up the running lanes for them more than anyone.

I know, "shouldn't get excited, we still suck, we say this every year" etc.. Trust me I got it, but I don't care.

I'm gonna be hyped about the potentiality of this offense finally reaching its zenith & becoming an explosive point scoring machine. If we add Keith Corbin too that'll only make us stronger & I think we're after a Grad OT that will enroll in May as well, so the OL under Justice should/could be improved.

I already know how some of yall will respond, don't care, I'm hyped & no amount of moping will make me change my opinion.

Lashlee & King could be lethal, here's to hoping they are, we're due for a good season... 🙏🏾 Please let it happen.
1,497yds through 3 games...

Advertisement
620 yards of total offense in one game!

Enox couldn't draw up 600yds in 5 games if he wanted to lol
(I'm exaggerating but yall get my point).

Lashlee + King = PRODUCTIVITY‼️‼️

Advertisement
Lashlee/King combo has produced five 40-point offensive performances against P5 schools. That hasn't happened for us since . . . . I don't know when, because the ESPN stats only go back to 2003.

Advertisement
Back