Preview of the Lashlee/King combination...

Advertisement
Depends on the opponent & the tenor of the game.

It's interesting, I would argue that if Miami can play from ahead, that our DE's can finally play with their ears pinned back and just fly up field it will mitigate the need for having Antrelle Rolle and Philip Buchanan at CBs Last few years, beginning with 2017 we've slogged through so many games that it's actually taken away the best part of our Dline, which is getting upfield and getting after the QB.

To me, if King can just make 5-6 plays a game with his legs, keep Miami ahead of the chains with scrambles, it will make a huge difference in extending drives and piling up plays, thus making the tempo even more effective. It's an element that the Canes have never really had. UM has had athletic QBs before in the modern era (Ryan Collins, Kenny Kelly, Malik Rosier) but never has actually made it a facet of the base offense.

We are finally in the modern era of offensive football at the college level. Spread+mobile QB+tempo....

To me, if King can just make 5-6 plays a game with his legs, keep Miami ahead of the chains with scrambles, it will make a huge difference in extending drives and piling up plays, thus making the tempo even more effective. It's an element that the Canes have never really had. UM has had athletic QBs before in the modern era (Ryan Collins, Kenny Kelly, Malik Rosier) but never has actually made it a facet of the base offense.

We are finally in the modern era of offensive football at the college level. Spread+mobile QB+tempo....
NFL went spread before we did.. smfh

Advertisement
I feel the exact same way. Most of these dudes have never been on our campus and have probably not experienced what this program looks like when it’s humming.

**** even that 10 week period a couple years ago had us front and center everywhere. Imagine what happens if we can string together 3 ten plus win seasons and some real damage in the ACC, which should be easy with a competent HC.
Chise, Ive said this before, but when I went to the Gatech game in 17 (the Langham Immaculate Reception) I was on campus with Ariz, and I was blown away how it had evolved and changed from the last time I was there. Also 'the Rat', we got buzzed on beer, lol. The practice facility was just being constructed at that time. Ive said this on various podcasts I was a guest on -- who wouldn't want to be on this campus for at least a few years of their young adult life?

Then later on that season I go to the Notre Dame game, and that's when the Rock was at it's absolute best. It was vintage Orange Bowl electricity. I said to myself, 'If we ever get this right, this is what it could be.' It fits South Florida perfectly.

And when I'm traveling to fights, I always wear my Miami Nike sweatsuit (the last year they made them) and it never fails, either Im checking in or walking through the airport terminal and I always get comments -- and what's interesting is that 99-percent of them are really positive, like, 'Hey, the U!!!' -- which I find fascinating because the best era of Hurricane football was supposedly so sinister and people hated them. But honestly, the general perception of Miami is really good and people, in my view, really appreciate what they did and the characters and entertainment they provided. I honestly dont think even the UM administration understand how strong this brand is nationally.

Win consistently and be entertaining and fun, this thing can take off. C'mon Manny, don't blow this...

NFL went spread before we did.. smfh

Sky, it's interesting, but go back to 2003, the Florida comeback, it was clear that Brock was much better from 'the gun' and running a bit of tempo, right? Well, after that game, that should've been our base offense with him. We could've been ahead of the curve, right then. I mean, that's basically what Berlin ran in high school. But no, we were wed to pro-style because we were 'NFL U'.

Think about this, with Erickson in 89, he called his offense 'the Triple Shoot', but it was the first version of the spread. We were ahead of the curve. We were the first family with the DVD player. And unfortunately, we were the family that was still going to the RedBox every Friday night.

Now, we're Lashlee and Chill with our new Netflix offense.

Sky, it's interesting, but go back to 2003, the Florida comeback, it was clear that Brock was much better from 'the gun' and running a bit of tempo, right? Well, after that game, that should've been our base offense with him. We could've been ahead of the curve, right then. I mean, that's basically what Berlin ran in high school. But no, we were wed to pro-style because we were 'NFL U'.

Think about this, with Erickson in 89, he called his offense 'the Triple Shoot', but it was the first version of the spread. We were ahead of the curve. We were the first family with the DVD player. And unfortunately, we were the family that was still going to the RedBox every Friday night.

Now, we're Lashlee and Chill with our new Netflix offense.
Thats the most frustrating part about it, Erickson was like spread 1.0, maybe even beta version it was soo ahead of its time.. The berlin gaff isnt surprising looking back, those corches had Hester on the sideline with them because they used same excuse he couldnt learn their complicated offense.. Their system was soo rigid, plus the ego of winning got to them..

Hopefully we get to see this system at some point this season.. fingers crossed but not looking good..

Thats the most frustrating part about it, Erickson was like spread 1.0, maybe even beta version it was soo ahead of its time.. The berlin gaff isnt surprising looking back, those corches had Hester on the sideline with them because they used same excuse he couldnt learn their complicated offense.. Their system was soo rigid, plus the ego of winning got to them..

Hopefully we get to see this system at some point this season.. fingers crossed but not looking good..

Yeah, Erickson was like the Atari 2600 version of the spread, no doubt. Afterwords things like the read-option, RPO and just generally allowing the QB to run a bit were added on by other coaches/programs. When Collins came in for Costa in 1993, it just didn't look right because there were no built-in plays to take advantage of Collins' mobility like there would be today

Also go back to 1999, Miami is down to BC 28-0, so out of desperation, they go shotgun and run tempo and they make this miraculous comeback. Well, it turns out thats probably what fit Kenny Kelly better.

Its maddening to think about

Advertisement
Ole Miss & Arkansas were both after him, and had he not committed today he 100% was in discussion for LSU but they weren't in a rush to get him.

I think using that argument doesn't work because we got him due to urgency of the fact we needed him enrolled by 1/21. If we had the same enrollment date as other teams he would've taken more visits & probably wouldn't have came here.

Also, you can't judge the 2019 season because Dana Holgorsen came in & completely changed the offense, he wasn't running the same scheme that Briles ran & never got comfortable in it. The reason why Lashlee wanted him is because he knows what he can do with him in his system, if he wasn't that good Lash wouldn't be wasting his first year on a transfer QB that he doesn't think he can work wonders with.

I think you're honestly just being a contrarian just to be one, the "red flags" aren't really red flags, you're kinda just reaching for something to swing the pendulum back so that people don't get too overhyped which is understandable, but your honestly reaching my dude lol.

And the whole G5 vs P5 thing doesn apply here, we lost to two G5 teams last year & almost got beat by CMU, we're not above taking a great QB from a G5. Va Tech won games last year with an extremely mediocre QB, you don't need an elite 5-star Clemson transfer to win games in the Coastal.

We won 10 games with Malik Rosier for God sakes, who gives a fck what conference King is from lol.

in 2017, we have King instead of Rosier, they win another game or two, and also, many of the wins are by a much larger margin.

Just score 35-42 points a game. If we do that with our defense this team is not gonna lose many games.

Last edited:
IIrc, Erickson ran a one-back system, which started to become a thing in the NFL at that point. Joe Gibbs ran this system at Washington, because his previous Air Coryell wasnt working at Washington but also because they had a guy named Lawrence Taylor lining up against them twice a season. It also helped that John Riggins was in the backfield.

We were ahead of the curve offensively on four of our national titles (not counting 2001, pro style was a thing with most teams back then). The spread really started to trend once App State upset Michigan in 2007 and that same Michigan team was hammered against Chip Kellys spread in that same season. Urban Meyer then won some national titles with his spread, you know the drill.

At the time Miami, under Erickson, was the only major program running a three wide receiver base offense. There were guys doing early air raid stuff and run and shoot stuff but they were all at second tier (or lower) programs. Unfortunately when Erickson left, our program decided to stop being innovative and creative and we got stuck with a ton of conservative, pro style guys year after year. Essentially the offense was pretty crappy under Butch from 95-99. Came alive from 2000-2002 and then went into the toilet for the last 18 years. We had glimpses of high octane offense but that’s mostly because we’ve had big play players, not big play coaches. Even the years when we’ve had relatively productive offenses, they were still incredibly inconsistent. When’s the last time Miami was even average on third downs? Even if the offense this year under King/Lashlee is just OK, they will still obliterate a ton of offensive records. In a modern age where everyone is putting up bigger offensive numbers every year, it’s laughable that our career receiving leaders are guys who played 20 years ago.

Advertisement
Chise, Ive said this before, but when I went to the Gatech game in 17 (the Langham Immaculate Reception) I was on campus with Ariz, and I was blown away how it had evolved and changed from the last time I was there. Also 'the Rat', we got buzzed on beer, lol. The practice facility was just being constructed at that time. Ive said this on various podcasts I was a guest on -- who wouldn't want to be on this campus for at least a few years of their young adult life?

Then later on that season I go to the Notre Dame game, and that's when the Rock was at it's absolute best. It was vintage Orange Bowl electricity. I said to myself, 'If we ever get this right, this is what it could be.' It fits South Florida perfectly.

And when I'm traveling to fights, I always wear my Miami Nike sweatsuit (the last year they made them) and it never fails, either Im checking in or walking through the airport terminal and I always get comments -- and what's interesting is that 99-percent of them are really positive, like, 'Hey, the U!!!' -- which I find fascinating because the best era of Hurricane football was supposedly so sinister and people hated them. But honestly, the general perception of Miami is really good and people, in my view, really appreciate what they did and the characters and entertainment they provided. I honestly dont think even the UM administration understand how strong this brand is nationally.

Win consistently and be entertaining and fun, this thing can take off. C'mon Manny, don't blow this...
As a guy who spent many years on that campus, I still think about it and miss it. It's such a special place.

No more mope in my body I just liked LCE post.....I'm in.
1596478066783.gif

all in good fun lol. Keep with the YouTube too

Miami used to be an innovative offensive team back when the game & the rules were completely different & the approach to the game was different. Gary Stevens & Bob Bratkowski were two very good Pro Style OC's who utilized the passing game in an era when Football was all about the Run game.

Coach Erickson was a great offensive mind for his time, before he came to Miami he was in places like San Jose St, Wyoming & Wash St where he developed his offense that was very cutting edge for its time which was right around the same time that Bill Walsh was developing the West Coast Offense at Stanford & San Fran with Mike Holmgren & Andy Reid.

Erickson was with Jack Elway (John's Dad) at San Jose St & at Fresno St, John Elway was running the very first Spread offense in High School at Granada Hills & when Erickson was at San Jose St as an OC he learned the One Back Spread from Cactus Jack Neumeier himself, that's why our Offenses looked like that with him as HC.

Since then, we've never run anything close to it, we've been nothing but Pro Style & while it worked through most of the 90's & early 00's, as the game exploded & expanded dozens of other teams evened the playing field & closed the talent gap by giving themselves a schematic advantage by continuing to develop & implement the Modern Spread offenses. We didn't, we got left behind & now we're actually behind the times...

The Pro Style offense still works, IF YOU HAVE THE PERSONNEL TO RUN IT. We don't & haven't had the personnel to run the Pro style since 02, but we simply refused to adapt & adjust, until now.

Rhett Lashlee will legitimately be the best offensive coordinator we've had since Chudzinski, even though the two of them run completely different offenses.

Advertisement
Miami used to be an innovative offensive team back when the game & the rules were completely different & the approach to the game was different. Gary Stevens & Bob Bratkowski were two very good Pro Style OC's who utilized the passing game in an era when Football was all about the Run game.

Coach Erickson was a great offensive mind for his time, before he came to Miami he was in places like San Jose St, Wyoming & Wash St where he developed his offense that was very cutting edge for its time which was right around the same time that Bill Walsh was developing the West Coast Offense at Stanford & San Fran with Mike Holmgren & Andy Reid.

Erickson was with Jack Elway (John's Dad) at San Jose St & at Fresno St, John Elway was running the very first Spread offense in High School at Granada Hills & when Erickson was at San Jose St as an OC he learned the One Back Spread from Cactus Jack Neumeier himself, that's why our Offenses looked like that with him as HC.

Since then, we've never run anything close to it, we've been nothing but Pro Style & while it worked through most of the 90's & early 00's, as the game exploded & expanded dozens of other teams evened the playing field & closed the talent gap by giving themselves a schematic advantage by continuing to develop & implement the Modern Spread offenses. We didn't, we got left behind & now we're actually behind the times...

The Pro Style offense still works, IF YOU HAVE THE PERSONNEL TO RUN IT. We don't & haven't had the personnel to run the Pro style since 02, but we simply refused to adapt & adjust, until now.

Rhett Lashlee will legitimately be the best offensive coordinator we've had since Chudzinski, even though the two of them run completely different offenses.
Even teams that are able to hoard talent at incredible levels and have had more recent success left the prostyle (Bama/saban and LSU come to mind).. To see teams like Okla, OSU, Penn St. adopt spread and speed wide open offense before us just doesnt even make sense to me..

Its been a long *** wait, I just hope Covid doesnt end the world before we get to see a glimpse of us run a true spread system

Yes.

It only makes sense considering the area we recruit a majority of our players from. Go to any south Florida high school football game and look what offense the kids are playing in. Outside of a handful of lesser talented schools, pretty much everybody is running a spread type system. The kids grow up playing spread offenses in optimist leagues. Then they play in a spread offense in high school. It's common sense to use that system in college. Why take a kid who's been lighting it up in 3 and 4 WR sets and make him learn incredibly complex pro style offenses where his skill is not maximized?

Advertisement
Back