Potential Starting UF O Tackle out for the season

No different than UM in '08 when we had a team full of freshmen playing in key positions....and a corch that couldn't motivate anyone to do anything.

Advertisement
UF lost two starters from their O-line last year. They were returning Harrison, Green, and Halapio. Now Halapio and Green are injured and won't play in the Miami game. The O-line was already so thin that Muschamp didn't have a spring game because of it. Gator fans can claim it's no big deal but this O-line could be worse than the one last season. The only positive is the only returning starter is the center.

I like Miami's chances against UF.

this is inaccurate on all levels.

Please explain. I would love to hear your sugarcoated version. The O-line was returning Harrison, Green, and Halapio. Green and Halapio will not be playing against Miami. The Gators did not have a spring game and it was due to lack of depth on the O-line. Gillislee was your workhorse RB and basically made your entire running game last year. Your lead WR was your TE Jordan Reed and he is gone. There was no passing game last year to speak of. With a new O-line your offense could very well be worse than last year. How you're confident about your running game is beyond me.

I keep hearing about the reloading UF does on defense but there's no way in **** this new defense is as good as last years defense by game #2. Morrison is the best LB and he was a backup last year. Say what you want about losing Elam but he was a complete animal. There's no one in your secondary right now better than him.

UF also lost Sturgis and Dubose from special teams. They're two of the best in program history. All three phases of UF football took a beating from last season.

Been saying the same thing for a month and I got laughed at.
What do I know? I'm just a homer.

Miami 56 gators 13

UF lost two starters from their O-line last year. They were returning Harrison, Green, and Halapio. Now Halapio and Green are injured and won't play in the Miami game. The O-line was already so thin that Muschamp didn't have a spring game because of it. Gator fans can claim it's no big deal but this O-line could be worse than the one last season. The only positive is the only returning starter is the center.

Please explain. I would love to hear your sugarcoated version. The O-line was returning Harrison, Green, and Halapio. Green and Halapio will not be playing against Miami. The Gators did not have a spring game and it was due to lack of depth on the O-line. Gillislee was your workhorse RB and basically made your entire running game last year. Your lead WR was your TE Jordan Reed and he is gone. There was no passing game last year to speak of. With a new O-line your offense could very well be worse than last year. How you're confident about your running game is beyond me.

I keep hearing about the reloading UF does on defense but there's no way in **** this new defense is as good as last years defense by game #2. Morrison is the best LB and he was a backup last year. Say what you want about losing Elam but he was a complete animal. There's no one in your secondary right now better than him.

UF also lost Sturgis and Dubose from special teams. They're two of the best in program history. All three phases of UF football took a beating from last season.

Miami 56 gators 13

Yeah I go down and look at their roster from last year compared to this year and it isn't the same team at all. They lose all production from their offense, defense and special teams. Then you throw in these injuries and it's gets really bad. If it weren't bad you wouldn't have the coach lifting a suspension on the MLB for the Miami game.

I don't think the game gets out of hand like you're saying but I like our chances. Any UF fan that thinks Miami isn't a game for them is ******* delusional.

Miami 56 gators 13

Yeah I go down and look at their roster from last year compared to this year and it isn't the same team at all. They lose all production from their offense, defense and special teams. Then you throw in these injuries and it's gets really bad. If it weren't bad you wouldn't have the coach lifting a suspension on the MLB for the Miami game.

I don't think the game gets out of hand like you're saying but I like our chances. Any UF fan that thinks Miami isn't a game for them is ****ing delusional.

Funny thing is that I believe I'm being conservative in the score.

nothing sugarcoated, it's just innacurate period. dj humphries, silberman, and koehne all started games last year. that's 6 linemen returning who have started games. that's not even including moore and garcia who started at their schools before transferring and were all conference members. excluding harrison, green, and hillapio, uf returned guys with 49 starts on the oline. but hey you're right that's a brand new line.

secondly, i love the revisionist history on gillislee. before last year he had 920 yards in 3 years, or an average of 306 per season. now he's some irreplaceable stud. not going to downplay him as he was great for us last year, but he was slated to back up brown until brown was injured in preseason practice and then gillislee took the job and ran with it. either way last year we had 3 scholarship backs going into the season all of them unproven, this year we have 5, i'd say that's cause for optimism.

as to the defense, no one has said they'll be as good anywhere, but they will still be good. uf rotated heavily last year. an example of this is that the 'new' linebackers collectively made 7 starts last year alone and combine have played in over 50 games, they aren't inexperienced. i encourage you to go and watch replays of uf on defense last year, we would go multiple series at a time with the 'backups' in the game. that is muschamp's philosophy, he has stated we will again play about 18 or so guys this year. the way some of you tell if the guys returning had no hand in the defense being good besides the fact they played extensive minutes in every game and even manning entire series as the second unit by themselves at times during the game.

and both sturgis and debose will be big losses. we do however return the best punter in the country and some of the better overall special teams units. brad phillips handled kickoff duties for 7 games last year and place-kicking duties twice in his career. is he sturgis? **** no, but he ain't some bum off the street either.

but hey you guys have i figured out, miami 56-13 lol. reasonable people see this as a game that can go either way. would not surprise me at all if miami wins but it certainly seems it would be a surprise to some of you if uf wins, apparently they are a bum club.

Last edited:
Advertisement

nothing sugarcoated, it's just innacurate period. dj humphries, silberman, and koehne all started games last year. that's 6 linemen returning who have started games. that's not even including moore and garcia who started at their schools before transferring and were all conference members. excluding harrison, green, and hillapio, uf returned guys with 49 starts on the oline. but hey you're right that's a brand new line.

secondly, i love the revisionist history on gillislee. before last year he had 920 yards in 3 years, or an average of 306 per season. now he's some irreplaceable stud. not going to downplay him as he was great for us last year, but he was slated to back up brown until brown was injured in preseason practice and then gillislee took the job and ran with it. either way last year we had 3 scholarship backs going into the season all of them unproven, this year we have 5, i'd say that's cause for optimism.

as to the defense, no one has said they'll be as good anywhere, but they will still be good. uf rotated heavily last year. an example of this is that the 'new' linebackers collectively made 7 starts last year alone and combine have played in over 50 games, they aren't inexperienced. i encourage you to go and watch replays of uf on defense last year, we would go multiple series at a time with the 'backups' in the game. that is muschamp's philosophy, he has stated we will again play about 18 or so guys this year. the way some of you tell if the guys returning had no hand in the defense being good besides the fact they played extensive minutes in every game and even manning entire series as the second unit by themselves at times during the game.

and both sturgis and debose will be big losses. we do however return the best punter in the country and some of the better overall special teams units. brad phillips handled kickoff duties for 7 games last year and place-kicking duties twice in his career. is he sturgis? **** no, but he ain't some bum off the street either.

but hey you guys have i figured out, miami 56-13 lol. reasonable people see this as a game that can go either way. would not surprise me at all if miami wins but it certainly seems it would be a surprise to some of you if uf wins, apparently they are a bum club.

You should neg yourself for wasting your time with this argument.

Game can go either way. Like most games - team that turns it over less or goes up early should win.

The game can go either way. Miami's defense vs any bodies offense is not a good match up. Miami pretty much made every qb it faced look like a Walter camp all- American so I won't waste time talking about that match up.

With if going to a 3-4 it will be interesting to see what these match ups pose in the passing game. Can Ronald Powell run with hurricane slot wr's or will he just be a pass rushing de. I expect the first qtr...first couple series of the teams feeling each other out. Does uf have anyone in its secondary who can run with dorsett? If they don't this could pose problems in later qtrs with uf having to double him making more room for Johnson to operate and other wr's going one on one. Lots of potential favorable situations for Miami in this game. The defense is another story until proven other wise.

Watch who you calling best punter in the country mane. Have you seen our punter/DT, The Mad Irishman?

Clearly not.

I gotta tell ya, on paper, I like our chances. But goddammit its been so ******* long since we won a game that meant this much, I just can't be that confident anymore. So many matchups that could go either way its really impossible to figure just yet.

Advertisement
Max Garcia was not all conference anything, and tyler moore was FRESHMAN all big-ten - meaning he was one of 5 or so freshmen OL in the big ten to start some games (4 to be exact).

They both seem like legit players on your OL, but let's not misrepresent here

The gator punter is great, but I'm thinking ours is just as good.

From the Palm Beach Post

“When somebody’s dropping 75-yard bombs in practice and Golden’s yelling at him to at least let the returner have a chance, it’s really amazing,” long snapper Sean McNally said. “When I’m running down to get the return, I feel like I’m running forever.”

And he's an incredible athlete. He times out at 4.6 in the 40 with a 10 yard split of 1.53 which the article says is faster than Jeff Demps' split.

Killa, you misinterpret what I'm saying. I'm not saying the gators are Shiit.i just think they are highly overrated, and we are highly underrated.
You guys are going to be starting a ton of 1st year players on both sides of the ball and you are ranked 10th.
One or two spot starts and subbing in from last year is different from being a full time starter.
Believe me, we learned the hard way what happens when the vast majority of your defense are 1st time starters or freshmen.
Our defense has grown up.
From the Post:

"They were too light, and too young. The ‘Canes went approximately 280 pounds at the tackle spots, 230 to 260 at the ends and 210 to 230 at linebacker. In the secondary, they leaned on true freshmen such as Tracy Howard and Antonio Crawford at corner, and Deon Bush and Rayshawn Jenkins at safety. Corner Ladarius Gunter was an inexperienced junior college transfer."

Now we go 325 and 305 at dt, 260 and 275 at de, 240 240 235 at lb, and we have quality depth.
Our defense are not the same guys as last year.

Seems that no matter what, Cane and gator will always agree to disagree except for our dislike of FSU. You remember in the mid 90's when they beat you during the season and in the bowl game? I thought there was going to be a rash of suicides up there.

All will be settled in less than 2 weeks.

Okay... Your starting O-line last year was Nixon, Wilson, Harrison, Halapio, and Green. The only returning starter for the Miami game is Harrison. If you look up at that gif of Driskell getting pummeled by the German you'll notice Nixon and Green getting burned. In big games when they were on the line those were your starters. UF had plenty of games against lesser competition where Humphries and the others got some burn. For the Miami game you lost 4 starters on your O-line from last year. Again, if O-line was going to be so stout then why did Muschamp call of the spring game due to lack of O-line depth? You can sugarcoat it all you want but it is what it is.

Again, Reed was your go to WR and he was TE because your WR depth sucked so bad. Will your new guys get it done? Maybe but you're counting on freshmen to be those new guys. The guys still on the roster haven't done ****. Has Driskell learned how to go through his progressions and read defenses? Maybe but he sure as **** was terrible doing it last year. Say what you want about Gillislee but he was the RB that broke out from that group of 3 and Pease rode his *** all game long. He was your rushing attack. You claim there's 5 RB's now but let's get real here. Brown has been nothing but mediocre at best. He got passed up by Gillislee last year and Jones passed him up this year. Your two freshmen RB's aren't ready now and won't be ready for the Miami game. Am I supposed to be scared of the walk-on RB or the safety converted to RB because your depth sucks so bad at the position? You better hope Jones is over that illness and the O-line is as good as you claim because I think our defense that couldn't stop any rushing attack last year will keep this bunch in check.

I never said your defense was going to suck. I said they won't be the defense they were last year by game #2 this year. Again, getting some PT here and there is much different than being the starter on that defense. Any drop off on that defense last year is a positive for Miami.

I never said Miami would win 56-13. I know it's going to be a war. I know how this rivalry goes. I said, I'm glad UF lost so much and I'm also glad we get you early in the season before everybody gels. I like our chances. **** I see where UF fans think Miami has no shot. If Miami wins there's going to be a nuclear meltdown surrounding the UF program.

Last edited:

Okay... Your starting O-line last year was Nixon, Wilson, Harrison, Halapio, and Green. The only returning starter for the Miami game is Harrison. If you look up at that gif of Driskell getting pummeled by the German you'll notice Nixon and Green getting burned. In big games when they were on the line those were your starters. UF had plenty of games against lesser competition where Humphries and the others got some burn. For the Miami game you lost 4 starters on your O-line from last year. Again, if O-line was going to be so stout then why did Muschamp call of the spring game due to lack of O-line depth? You can sugarcoat it all you want but it is what it is.

Again, Reed was your go to WR and he was TE because your WR depth sucked so bad. Will your new guys get it done? Maybe but you're counting on freshmen to be those new guys. The guys still on the roster haven't done ****. Has Driskell learned how to go through his progressions and read defenses? Maybe but he sure as **** was terrible doing it last year. Say what you want about Gillislee but he was the RB that broke out from that group 3 and Pease rode his *** all game long. He was your rushing attack. You claim there's 5 RB's now but let's get real here. Brown has been nothing mediocre at best. He got passed up by Gillislee last year and Jones passed him up this year. Your two freshmen RB's aren't ready now and won't be ready for the Miami game. Am I supposed to be scared of the walk-on RB or the safety converted to RB because your depth sucks so bad at the position? You better hope Jones is over that illness and the O-line is as good as you claim because I think our defense that couldn't stop any rushing attack last year will keep this bunch in check.

I never your defense was going to suck. I said they won't be the defense they were last year game #2 this year. Again, getting some PT here and there is much different than being the starter on that defense. Any drop off on that defense last year is a positive for Miami.

I never said Miami would win 56-13. I know it's going to be a war. I know how this rivalry goes. I said, I'm glad UF lost so much and I'm also glad we get you early in the season before everybody gels. I like our chances. **** I see where UF fans think Miami has no shot. If Miami wins there's going to be a nuclear meltdown surrounding the UF program.
472.gif

Advertisement

MIke was the Best RB on the team the Last 2 years IMO...Will felt the need to play Rainey and Demps for some reason

Not Sure he will be the kicker when all is said and done.

Maye At Safety will be a good one FWIW

Again, Reed was your go to WR and he was TE because your WR depth sucked so bad. Will your new guys get it done? Maybe but you're counting on freshmen to be those new guys. The guys still on the roster haven't done ****. Has Driskell learned how to go through his progressions and read defenses? Maybe but he sure as **** was terrible doing it last year. Say what you want about Gillislee but he was the RB that broke out from that group of 3 and Pease rode his *** all game long. He was your rushing attack. You claim there's 5 RB's now but let's get real here. Brown has been nothing but mediocre at best. He got passed up by Gillislee last year and Jones passed him up this year. Your two freshmen RB's aren't ready now and won't be ready for the Miami game. Am I supposed to be scared of the walk-on RB or the safety converted to RB because your depth sucks so bad at the position? You better hope Jones is over that illness and the O-line is as good as you claim because I think our defense that couldn't stop any rushing attack last year will keep this bunch in check.

I never said your defense was going to suck. I said they won't be the defense they were last year by game #2 this year. Again, getting some PT here and there is much different than being the starter on that defense. Any drop off on that defense last year is a positive for Miami.

He is a porster just like New **** who lives in a different world without logic. Ask him his thoughts on Andrew Luck or UF@g's great history at WR. This gaytor will tell you that he thinks it is irrelevent that these guys are injured too.

regarding the o-line, they didn't just play in mop up games, humprhries started against south carolina for example and was our 6th lineman in our jumbo sets in every game. same with koehne and silberman at guard. they didn't just get 'burn' they started multiple games and played extensive minutes. we will see how they perform, they have a lot to prove there. the only point i'm trying to make is they are not nearly as inexperienced as you are portraying. i'm not saying they're going to be some dominating unit and i'm not speaking to their ability, just the experience.

regarding the backs you call brown mediocre at best yet you're praising gilislee and he was slated to back up brown before his injury...how does that make sense? we have seen gilislee play and perform, so wouldn't it be fair to say the guy he was slated to back up is at least equal to him? i just think the gap between gilislee and the other backs is being way overplayed. again gilislee would have been a backup last year if not for a preseason injury so i'm supposed to be concerned that the guy he was slated to back up is now starting? and only starting due to jones injury at that or brown would be second string which speaks to the improved depth there. we'll see how they do in games. also you claim a db was moved over because runningback depth sucked so bad yet the guy was a 2,000 yard rusher in hs and they moved him over because he kept making plays on returns and we're deep at db. and he's not even playing running back, he's playing the slot primarily with some carries mixed in. coming out of the spring kelvin taylor was second string and lane was right behind him once arriving in the fall. both are being punished for fumbling the ball in recent scrimmages. kelvin has actually been the leading rusher in scrimmages this fall. i mean cmon what would make you think a walk-on is actually in the rotation over one of the better incoming freshmen backs in the country? the team and coaches love him because of his dedication to the program and is rewarding him, but when the games starts we'll see who plays. its a motivational ploy and muschamp has stated he's trying to teach them the importance of protecting the ball. i get uf isn't your team and you're not going to know the ins and outs of the team, but all of this is easily verified with any bit of research.

and regarding the defense, it wasn't pt 'here and there' as i've already shown. all of them have multiple starts and played extensive minutes in every game. how does the backup group of linebackers have 7 collective starts only playing 'here and there?' that makes no sense. another example, our nickel corner started 4 games. i could go on and on, point is those guys were actually 'starters' if you go by minutes played. again they will not be as good imo, but it won't be because of experience. i don't know what your definition of 'ready' is, but i assure you the defense will be 'ready' for miami. again...will they be as good? no, especially not that early, but the unit returns 14 players who have started at least 3 games at uf. 8 of them have played in over 30+ games, this game isn't new to them.

and you're correct, that was buddha but you didn't disagree with him so i took that to mean you agreed. and i like your chances also, have said so the entire summer. i would not be surprised if miami wins. being frank, they should. huge game, packed house, returning 19 starters, etc. and i'm not sure which uf fans you have talked to but hey every fanbase has idiots, and any who think miami doesn't have a shot are idiots. all the ones i know and the ones traveling with me to this game are very concerned. it will be a tight game.

Advertisement

regarding the o-line, they didn't just play in mop up games, humprhries started against south carolina for example and was our 6th lineman in our jumbo sets in every game. same with koehne and silberman at guard. they didn't just get 'burn' they started multiple games and played extensive minutes. we will see how they perform, they have a lot to prove there. the only point i'm trying to make is they are not nearly as inexperienced as you are portraying. i'm not saying they're going to be some dominating unit and i'm not speaking to their ability, just the experience.

regarding the backs you call brown mediocre at best yet you're praising gilislee and he was slated to back up brown before his injury...how does that make sense? we have seen gilislee play and perform, so wouldn't it be fair to say the guy he was slated to back up is at least equal to him? i just think the gap between gilislee and the other backs is being way overplayed. again gilislee would have been a backup last year if not for a preseason injury so i'm supposed to be concerned that the guy he was slated to back up is now starting? and only starting due to jones injury at that or brown would be second string which speaks to the improved depth there. we'll see how they do in games. also you claim a db was moved over because runningback depth sucked so bad yet the guy was a 2,000 yard rusher in hs and they moved him over because he kept making plays on returns and we're deep at db. and he's not even playing running back, he's playing the slot primarily with some carries mixed in. coming out of the spring kelvin taylor was second string and lane was right behind him once arriving in the fall. both are being punished for fumbling the ball in recent scrimmages. kelvin has actually been the leading rusher in scrimmages this fall. i mean cmon what would make you think a walk-on is actually in the rotation over one of the better incoming freshmen backs in the country? the team and coaches love him because of his dedication to the program and is rewarding him, but when the games starts we'll see who plays. its a motivational ploy and muschamp has stated he's trying to teach them the importance of protecting the ball. i get uf isn't your team and you're not going to know the ins and outs of the team, but all of this is easily verified with any bit of research.

and regarding the defense, it wasn't pt 'here and there' as i've already shown. all of them have multiple starts and played extensive minutes in every game. how does the backup group of linebackers have 7 collective starts only playing 'here and there?' that makes no sense. another example, our nickel corner started 4 games. i could go on and on, point is those guys were actually 'starters' if you go by minutes played. again they will not be as good imo, but it won't be because of experience. i don't know what your definition of 'ready' is, but i assure you the defense will be 'ready' for miami. again...will they be as good? no, especially not that early, but the unit returns 14 players who have started at least 3 games at uf. 8 of them have played in over 30+ games, this game isn't new to them.

and you're correct, that was buddha but you didn't disagree with him so i took that to mean you agreed. and i like your chances also, have said so the entire summer. i would not be surprised if miami wins. being frank, they should. huge game, packed house, returning 19 starters, etc. and i'm not sure which uf fans you have talked to but hey every fanbase has idiots, and any who think miami doesn't have a shot are idiots. all the ones i know and the ones traveling with me to this game are very concerned. it will be a tight game.

Here let me put it this way. Of those 8 O-linemen who were playing on your O-line last year 4 of them won't be playing in the Miami game. The 4 of them that won't be playing were your 1st string Tackles and Guards. UF will be breaking in a new O-line this year. I understand how rotations work on the O-line.

Brown hasn't done a **** thing at RB. I don't care how Gillislee became the workhorse of your rushing attack last year but Brown wasn't the one toting the rock. Moving a safety over to RB and giving a walk-on a scholarship tells me all I need to know about the RB depth at UF this year. That group of 5 you're so confident in hasn't produced a **** thing and they're going to be rushing behind a new O-line.

Yes, we'll agree that the UF defense won't be as good as the defense last year by game #2. Again, I understand how rotation works.

Last edited:
Interesting.
Kid must be spectacular.

Jones is still not cleared to practice in pads, but when asked how many practices Jones might need to be ready for UM, offensive coordinatorBrent Pease said, “Zero.”
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/08/28/3589923/muschamp-matt-jones-expected-to.html#storylink=cpy

Here is the thing, he doesn't scare me in any way. He plays, he plays. If he doesn't, he doesn't.

Their O-Line is going to have a greater impact on the running game then Matt Jones will if he plays.

Advertisement
Back