Potential Starting UF O Tackle out for the season

like? my posts are here for everyone to see, what absurd leaps have i taken? i'd be interested to see them.

Of your top 8 OL from last season, 4 (and very arguably the top 4) are not returning. Yet, you have no problem citing last year's OL results as a point of reference in comparing to Miami's OL (which has the top 6 OL returning).

You have 2 transfers coming in on OL, neither of which were All-Conference players (Tyler Moore was freshman all big ten - many conferences don't even have freshmen all conference teams - especially meaningless at OL), yet you touted them as such.

Mack Brown is a career backup that has 40 carries for 167 yards (4.1 ypc) and ZERO TDs. Mack Brown did not split carries with Gillislie last season. BUT, you try to make it seem like they are equals and that Gillislie only was the workhorse last season because Mack Brown got hurt at some point. It's likely fair to say that Gillislie really got his shot because Brown got hurt, but what about when Brown was better? Why wasn't it a 2-headed attack? Because Gillislie's carries while tired at the end of a game were still valued higher than Brown's.

I'm positive there are many others, but I don't want to waste my time going through your posts. It was obnoxious enough reading them once.

point by point:

1. everyone else has used last year as a point of reference for uf's oline, now i do the same and it's an issue? or is the issue that you don't like the facts being presented that disproves the perceptions of both units? the point was to compare results to dismiss the perception that uf's o-line is trash and miami's is all-world. if you feel miami returning their top 6 guys who didn't perform well as opposed to 4 for uf who did perform well against the better teams i can't help you. btw not counting garcia and moore uf returned 6 of their top 8 last year. 2 will not be playing so that leaves 4 of 5 on the o-line...not counting moore or garcia so that is innacurate. and once again i have not spoken on what they will or won't do this year, i haven't hyped them as some great unit simply talking about the experience returning.

2. this is just factually wrong. you cited moore was freshman all big-10...well that's being an all-conference member nothing there to be argued. garcia started 13 games at left tackle for maryland in 11'...again all facts.

3. clearly you missed the point. gilislee was also a career backup before last year. and the guy you're downing (brown) was ahead of gilislee on the depth chart before brown missed time with injuries in the preseason. so i don't see the issue in saying they were at least equal in ability considering brown was slated to start ahead of gilislee. bottom line is gilislee got his shot because brown was injured and took it and ran with it stop pretending like gilislee was some ultra stud back and nobody was close to him. and to answer your question, once brown came back he got injured again and missed another 4 games, he was never healthy during the season. by that point jones had come on and the rest is history. point being there is a lot of revisionist history going on with gilislee.

The "issue of Gilislee" is not what he was before he became the #1. It's what he did on the field. You're minimizing his production with an amalgamated "well if Brown>Gilislee, but Gil got to jump over him due to injury, than Brown's production>Gilislee's production." The reality is that if there was reason for your staff to believe Gil was capable of the season he had last year, he would've had the edge over Brown, just like Jones does now. Brown isn't better because of Gil, or Jones. Or is every unproven back on Florida's depth chart a 1,000 yard rusher? You're lowering the recently-historic accomplishment of Gil to one of faceless happenstance. It would be like Miami fans saying "well Tommy Streeter hadn't done anything before 2011; his good year was a surprise, so any jack on the roster should be able to replicate his production for 2012." Or "Hey Morris was a JAG until 2012, so when he leaves Olsen should easily throw for 4000 a year." It's not transitive just because you want it to be.

Did you or did you not lose productive, starting offensive lineman? How many? Do you or do you not have capable backups, and do you anticipate any drop off or learning curve? It sounds like losing starters--once again--is no big deal for an offense that struggled often last year. If Miami lost our 1,000 yard rusher and multiple OL, you would be rightly assigning question marks to their offensive production.

The numbers you used for Miami's rushing inadequacy is flawed. Stats do not tell the story of those games, which was Miami's inability to score or stay off the field on D. There was no chance to develop the run against ND or KSU, and Johnson had sand toe for FSU. It's not bad to use what's on paper; it's bad to ignore what isn't.

regarding gilislee, i am not arguing brown's production will >>>>> gilislee's, that's not the point i am making. in fact, i will say right now that i don't believe any of our rushers will have as many yards as he did last year. i do however feel we will rush for more as a group. the point i was trying to make is that there isn't some huge gap in talent between gilislee and the other backs like some are insinuating. if that was the case gilislee would have never been listed as a backup, that was my point in bringing up where he was on the depth chart prior to the season, not to downplay his accomplishments.

and yes, we did. we lost 2 to graduation and now 2 to injury. even with that uf returns 4 guys who have started games, not including moore or garcia. again...i am not saying this unit will be great or that we won't miss any of the guys, i am simply talking about how much experience is returning. regarding the learning curve, i would say yes for moore and garcia, my only hope there is that since those guys were at uf all of last year and participated in the spring that will be minimized some.

i just feel people are going a bit overboard on what uf lost upfront. wilson and nixon were both undrafted, neither were studs and were on again off again starters the whole year. nixon led uf in penalties last year and sacks given up, i'm not seeing how losing him is such a big deal. he was so good last year that a 260 lb. freshman in humphries started multiple games over him.

lastly, fair enough. those numbers were not to give an opinion on what i think miami's o-line will be this year, just the inconsistency in thought concerning the two units. any way you slice it they did not perform that well against good defenses. we will see in 2 weeks if either unit has changed from last year.

Advertisement
i think its funny how perception tends to turn into fact on many message boards. for example, all i have heard on this board and others is that uf's oline sucks and miami has one of the best o-lines in the country. yet, it was miami's line who didn't show up against anyone with a pulse last year. here are the facts, no bias:

uf's top 25 opponents
A&M: 142 yards rushing, 3.0 ypc (actually rushed for 201 but lost 59 yards in sacks)
LSU: 176 yards rushing, 3.0 ypc (ran for 239 and lost 63 in sacks)
USCe: 89 rushing, 1.9 ypc (ran for 135, lost 46 yards in sacks)
UGA: 75 rushing, 1.9 ypc (ran for 127 lost 52 yards in sacks)
FSU: 244 yards rushing, 5.2 ypc (ran for 298 and lost 54 yards in sacks)
LOU: 111 yards rushing, 3.7 ypc (ran for 151 and lost 40 yards in sacks)

as you can clearly see, excluding missouri and uga, uf's o-line ran it down the throats of all the good defenses they played. they were only hindered by driskel and the stupid sacks he took which skewed the numbers. keep in mind they did so with no help of the passing game whatsoever, yet they are considered to be awful.

now miami's o-line against top 25 opponents:
KState: 40 yards rushing, 1.4 ypc (gained 76 rushing, lost 30 in sacks)
ND: 84 rushing, 4.7 ypc
FSU:29 yards rushing, 1.4 ypc (gained 59, lost 30 in sacks)

as you can see from the stats, the only difference is in sacks given up. the one common opponent is fsu and it's really not close in terms of production for that game. uf's oline outperformed miami in every area except sacks given up and driskel is responsible for a large bit of that. yet uf's oline is the one that is supposedly trash. yea i know, i know...that was last year. miami will be improved but there's no chance uf's offense will be improved though.

don't get it twisted, i think miami's oline has the potential to be one of the best in the country, potential being the key word because they haven't done it yet. looking at the numbers why so quick to prop up miami's oline while simultaenously downing uf's when uf's line performed better against good opponents.

LOL!!!! I guess it still isn't sinking in. Your stats are BS and you want to know why? Four (4) of the starting O-linemen for UF will not be playing against Miami and the RB who amassed those yards won't be running behind the new O-line. What does stats from last year have to do with a new O-line and RB for this year? Also, how was Miami's O-line supposed to put up all these rushing yards against the top teams when #1 the defense couldn't off the field so the offense never had the ball and #2 they were playing from behind so they were throwing the ball more in those games to try and catch up?

I understand UF did better than Miami last year. You fail to understand that last year was last year and your team isn't the same s last year.

playing from behind would only affect number of attempts rushing, not yards per carry which was very poor, try to keep up.

and yes i get it. the areas in which miami was poor they will be greatly improved and the areas in which uf was poor will be poor again or even worse. last year doesn't matter, yet last year keeps being used as a point of reference for uf for the same people that tell me last year doesn't matter. am i missing anything else?

like? my posts are here for everyone to see, what absurd leaps have i taken? i'd be interested to see them.

Of your top 8 OL from last season, 4 (and very arguably the top 4) are not returning. Yet, you have no problem citing last year's OL results as a point of reference in comparing to Miami's OL (which has the top 6 OL returning).

You have 2 transfers coming in on OL, neither of which were All-Conference players (Tyler Moore was freshman all big ten - many conferences don't even have freshmen all conference teams - especially meaningless at OL), yet you touted them as such.

Mack Brown is a career backup that has 40 carries for 167 yards (4.1 ypc) and ZERO TDs. Mack Brown did not split carries with Gillislie last season. BUT, you try to make it seem like they are equals and that Gillislie only was the workhorse last season because Mack Brown got hurt at some point. It's likely fair to say that Gillislie really got his shot because Brown got hurt, but what about when Brown was better? Why wasn't it a 2-headed attack? Because Gillislie's carries while tired at the end of a game were still valued higher than Brown's.

I'm positive there are many others, but I don't want to waste my time going through your posts. It was obnoxious enough reading them once.

point by point:

1. everyone else has used last year as a point of reference for uf's oline, now i do the same and it's an issue? or is the issue that you don't like the facts being presented that disproves the perceptions of both units? the point was to compare results to dismiss the perception that uf's o-line is trash and miami's is all-world. if you feel miami returning their top 6 guys who didn't perform well as opposed to 4 for uf who did perform well against the better teams i can't help you. btw not counting garcia and moore uf returned 6 of their top 8 last year. 2 will not be playing so that leaves 4 of 5 on the o-line...not counting moore or garcia so that is innacurate. and once again i have not spoken on what they will or won't do this year, i haven't hyped them as some great unit simply talking about the experience returning.

2. this is just factually wrong. you cited moore was freshman all big-10...well that's being an all-conference member nothing there to be argued. garcia started 13 games at left tackle for maryland in 11'...again all facts.

3. clearly you missed the point. gilislee was also a career backup before last year. and the guy you're downing (brown) was ahead of gilislee on the depth chart before brown missed time with injuries in the preseason. so i don't see the issue in saying they were at least equal in ability considering brown was slated to start ahead of gilislee. bottom line is gilislee got his shot because brown was injured and took it and ran with it stop pretending like gilislee was some ultra stud back and nobody was close to him. and to answer your question, once brown came back he got injured again and missed another 4 games, he was never healthy during the season. by that point jones had come on and the rest is history. point being there is a lot of revisionist history going on with gilislee.

The "issue of Gilislee" is not what he was before he became the #1. It's what he did on the field. You're minimizing his production with an amalgamated "well if Brown>Gilislee, but Gil got to jump over him due to injury, than Brown's production>Gilislee's production." The reality is that if there was reason for your staff to believe Gil was capable of the season he had last year, he would've had the edge over Brown, just like Jones does now. Brown isn't better because of Gil, or Jones. Or is every unproven back on Florida's depth chart a 1,000 yard rusher? You're lowering the recently-historic accomplishment of Gil to one of faceless happenstance. It would be like Miami fans saying "well Tommy Streeter hadn't done anything before 2011; his good year was a surprise, so any jack on the roster should be able to replicate his production for 2012." Or "Hey Morris was a JAG until 2012, so when he leaves Olsen should easily throw for 4000 a year." It's not transitive just because you want it to be.

Did you or did you not lose productive, starting offensive lineman? How many? Do you or do you not have capable backups, and do you anticipate any drop off or learning curve? It sounds like losing starters--once again--is no big deal for an offense that struggled often last year. If Miami lost our 1,000 yard rusher and multiple OL, you would be rightly assigning question marks to their offensive production.

The numbers you used for Miami's rushing inadequacy is flawed. Stats do not tell the story of those games, which was Miami's inability to score or stay off the field on D. There was no chance to develop the run against ND or KSU, and Johnson had sand toe for FSU. It's not bad to use what's on paper; it's bad to ignore what isn't.

regarding gilislee, i am not arguing brown's production will >>>>> gilislee's, that's not the point i am making. in fact, i will say right now that i don't believe any of our rushers will have as many yards as he did last year. i do however feel we will rush for more as a group. the point i was trying to make is that there isn't some huge gap in talent between gilislee and the other backs like some are insinuating. if that was the case gilislee would have never been listed as a backup, that was my point in bringing up where he was on the depth chart prior to the season, not to downplay his accomplishments.

and yes, we did. we lost 2 to graduation and now 2 to injury. even with that uf returns 4 guys who have started games, not including moore or garcia. again...i am not saying this unit will be great or that we won't miss any of the guys, i am simply talking about how much experience is returning. regarding the learning curve, i would say yes for moore and garcia, my only hope there is that since those guys were at uf all of last year and participated in the spring that will be minimized some.

i just feel people are going a bit overboard on what uf lost upfront. wilson and nixon were both undrafted, neither were studs and were on again off again starters the whole year. nixon led uf in penalties last year and sacks given up, i'm not seeing how losing him is such a big deal. he was so good last year that a 260 lb. freshman in humphries started multiple games over him.

lastly, fair enough. those numbers were not to give an opinion on what i think miami's o-line will be this year, just the inconsistency in thought concerning the two units. any way you slice it they did not perform that well against good defenses. we will see in 2 weeks if either unit has changed from last year.

So UF's O-line was great rushing the football but Nixon who was a starter for three years was the weakest link and easily replaceable? But I thought the reason for sacks was because of Driskell? Now Nixon was responsible for the majority of the sacks?

Also, UF ran the ball early and often because there was no passing game to speak of (114th passing attack). Even though UF rushed the ball the majority of the time UF had the 39th ranked rushing attack. The truth is that your defense was that good last year because of players like Elam, Bostic, and Floyd. I would argue that Elam was one of the if not the best CFB players in the entire nation last year. The defense was amazing at getting turnovers and won the majority of games for your team last year. There were what 5 or 6 turnovers in the FSU game alone?

What happens when the defense isn't as good and you're breaking in a new O-line?

Last edited:
The Gator O line will rotate as many guys as the UM O line. Around 7-8 guys. Considering what the UM D line did last year, and that the guys stepping in for Green and Pio had starts and played, they will be fine.

Regarding Mack Brown, I'm not confidant in him. He was in Gainesville before Matt Jones and was still passed up. Apparently he is not a great pass blocker. Maybe he got better. But I feel much better now that Matt is playing. Canes fans are also forgetting other player that will contribute in the run game. Burton out of the wildcat had big runs all year and a few vs FSU. Patton running sweeps. Word is Purifoy will have some plays, as well as a few designed runs for Driskel. So focus on Mack and the O line all you want. But the Gator rushing attack will come from different people and formations.

I enjoy the smack talk. Considering this is the last known matchup in the foreseeable future, lets take advantage.

Last edited:
The Gator O line will rotate as many guys as the UM O line. Around 7-8 guys. Considering what the UM D line has did last year, and that the guys stepping in for Green and Pio had starts and played, they will be fine.

Regarding Mack Brown, I'm not confidant in him. He was in Gainesville before Matt Jones and was still passed up. Apparently he is not a great pass blocker. Maybe he got better. But I feel much better now that Matt is playing. Canes fans are also forgetting other player that will contribute in the run game. Burton out of the wildcat had big runs all year and a few vs FSU. Patton running sweeps. Word is Purifoy will have some plays, as well as a few designed runs for Driskel. So focus on Mack and the O line all you want. But the Gator rushing attack will come from different people and formations.

The part in bold is irrelevant. The amount guys being rotating is not the issue, the quality of the play is the issue. We can rotate and average the same amount of plays per lineman, it does not matter. Which line will feature better play, which line will have more success. The rotation is irrelevant. Quality of play is what matters.

As for the UM D-Line, several things are different. One, we have a healthy Curtis Porter back and he is our best DT. Curtis Porter played in the last four games of the season and was not in the best "shape."

First 8 Games Rushing Yards Allowed Avg/Per Game: 249.25
Last 4 Games Rushing Yards Allowed Avg/Per Game: 155.25

On top of having Curtis Porter, we also have transfer David Gilbert at DE. He started 13 of the 14 games for Wisconsin last year. He also had 9.5 TFL, 4 sacks and was consensus honorable mention All-Big Ten. This is a guy who will certainly help our DL.

Finally, the DL is now not just a mash unit of freshman and JAG. We have experience and quality, so that to should help our performance.

As to the italics. Trey Burton had 190 yards rushing last year on 29 carries for a 6.6 average, that average looks great OVERALL....BUT that was running behind 3 lineman who are not playing against UM this year. Let me also point out that of the 190 rushing yards, 80 of them came on ONE RUN against Tenn. That run would be an outlier as to compared to the rest of his runs. So 190-80 is 110 runs on 28 carries, he averaged on those 28 carries 3.93 Yards on the other 28 carries. Besides Tenn he never went over 25 rushing yards per game.

Matt Jones can play, he cannot play. It doesn't matter. I don't care. He is running behind your OL, that is what I care about.

Advertisement
The quality of play from your D line is also an issue. I don't care if Porter is back (pun intended). U are not scared of the UF O line. Great. Nobody is scared of your D line. And the transfers you have were all just ok. Gilbert was going to freaking retire due to his foot. Now all of a sudden he is a beast. Yeah, got it. Renfrow barely played at VT.

Regarding Burton, keep sleeping. That is the point of his plays. Pease is a great play caller with regards to feel for a game. Burton in the wildcat will go for 0-1 yards a few times. Then when the D thinks it knows what is coming, a sweep or some other variation comes up. It's why he broke that big one vs Tenn and another vs FSU. It's also how Driskel had big runs vs Vandy, who oh by the way had a better D than U.

So keep talking about the O line. It's not like they are going against your strongest unit. It's why this thread is entertaining.

The quality of play from your D line is also an issue. I don't care if Porter is back (pun intended). U are not scared of the UF O line. Great. Nobody is scared of your D line. And the transfers you have were all just ok. Gilbert was going to freaking retire due to his foot. Now all of a sudden he is a beast. Yeah, got it. Renfrow barely played at VT.

Regarding Burton, keep sleeping. That is the point of his plays. Pease is a great play caller with regards to feel for a game. Burton in the wildcat will go for 0-1 yards a few times. Then when the D thinks it knows what is coming, a sweep or some other variation comes up. It's why he broke that big one vs Tenn and another vs FSU. It's also how Driskel had big runs vs Vandy, who oh by the way had a better D than U.

So keep talking about the O line. It's not like they are going against your strongest unit. It's why this thread is entertaining.

When Porter got in the game the run defense was night and day better. He's finally gotten an entire offseason to practice and get bigger which he hasn't done his entire career. Pierre is no longer an undersized True Sophomore. He's had two years to get acclimated and is now 305lbs. He was starting to turn it on near the end of the season last year. Luther Robinson finally had the light come on. Coaches have been praising him all offseason. Chick is now 275lbs and is no longer a puppy playing DE. Green had been injured his entire career and had a full offseason to get healthier. I'll admit it, the D-line was terrible last year against the run. But they were getting better as the year progressed and everybody is back including added depth.

Miami will load the box and see if Driskell has learned how to read a defense and go through his progressions. He will be forced to win this game through the air. You guys better hope there was no drop off in that rushing attack or it could be a long day.

I'm looking forward to this game. I think it's going to be one **** of a battle to watch.

When Porter got in the game the run defense was night and day better. He's finally gotten an entire offseason to practice and get bigger which he hasn't done his entire career. Pierre is no longer an undersized True Sophomore. He's had two years to get acclimated and is now 305lbs. He was starting to turn it on near the end of the season last year. Luther Robinson finally had the light come on. Coaches have been praising him all offseason. Chick is now 275lbs and is no longer a puppy playing DE. Green had been injured his entire career and had a full offseason to get healthier. I'll admit it, the D-line was terrible last year against the run. But they were getting better as the year progressed and everybody is back including added depth.

Miami will load the box and see if Driskell has learned how to read a defense and go through his progressions. He will be forced to win this game through the air. You guys better hope there was no drop off in that rushing attack or it could be a long day.

I'm looking forward to this game. I think it's going to be one **** of a battle to watch.

I agree. It's strength vs strength, as well as the weaker units vs each other.

Random point. I find it odd that UM would schedule a night game the week before playing UF at noon, while UF plays at noon the week before. Was that on purpose? Though I am jealous you get to watch your 1st game on Friday night. Not sure I make it to Saturday.

Advertisement

I agree. It's strength vs strength, as well as the weaker units vs each other.

Random point. I find it odd that UM would schedule a night game the week before playing UF at noon, while UF plays at noon the week before. Was that on purpose? Though I am jealous you get to watch your 1st game on Friday night. Not sure I make it to Saturday.

In all sincerity, think you're overvaluing Burton's impact. What he seems to do well (and you pointed this out) is turn the breaks in a game. Tennessee was misusing personnel like a political scandal, and in the second half Florida figured it out, and utilized Burton in space on the edge. But he had two carries (about his average), which both went for TDs. Two total carries. If UT stops one of those, you have a different game.

Golden said this week he had nothing to do with the schedule. "The AD said 'you're playing on Friday', I said 'Ok!'" Who knows who perfectly accurate it is, but the buzz when the time was announced was of course that AG had done it to have an "extra day" for UF. More like an extra night of sleep.

Well I am glad you didn't respond to most of my post in which you were in the land of irrelevancy and lack of logic. As for our DL it will be much different then last year as I stated above. As will your OL, except not for the good.

Look at Burton's stats, they are nothing to go Ape **** about.

He has ONE RUN, which encompasses almost half his rushing yards on the season. In case you were sleeping, here are his stats.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/503955/trey-burton

His long runs are as follows: 80, 24, 14, 13, 3, 7, 7, 6, 2, 8 and 3. Oh my god, I am freaking out. What a beast!!!!!

As for Driskel, that is a different story. I just don't think he will be so comfortable with the surgery in game 2 against Miami. He has legs and he is a legit threat with them, just that the OL you have may not be able to have much success.

So to review....

Your OL is different than last year because Starters are gone (DRAFT/Attrition) and injured (Green and Halpero).

Our OL has a healthy Porter, transfer Gilbert and experience.

Will be interesting.

i think its funny how perception tends to turn into fact on many message boards. for example, all i have heard on this board and others is that uf's oline sucks and miami has one of the best o-lines in the country. yet, it was miami's line who didn't show up against anyone with a pulse last year. here are the facts, no bias:

uf's top 25 opponents
A&M: 142 yards rushing, 3.0 ypc (actually rushed for 201 but lost 59 yards in sacks)

as you can clearly see, excluding missouri and uga, uf's o-line ran it down the throats of all the good defenses they played. they were only hindered by driskel and the stupid sacks he took which skewed the numbers. keep in mind they did so with no help of the passing game whatsoever, yet they are considered to be awful.

as you can see from the stats, the only difference is in sacks given up. the one common opponent is fsu and it's really not close in terms of production for that game. uf's oline outperformed miami in every area except sacks given up and driskel is responsible for a large bit of that. yet uf's oline is the one that is supposedly trash. yea i know, i know...that was last year. miami will be improved but there's no chance uf's offense will be improved though.

don't get it twisted, i think miami's oline has the potential to be one of the best in the country, potential being the key word because they haven't done it yet. looking at the numbers why so quick to prop up miami's oline while simultaenously downing uf's when uf's line performed better against good opponents.

We weren't a good running team last year. I am not one to just blame one guy, but Fisch really ****ed us there. No continuity, which is crucial when you want to run the ball. Problem though against ND and KSU is we got our *** kicked and couldn't run it anyways(ypc was awful as you pointed out anyways though).

Bottom line though is any Canes fan worth a **** will admit that our line is good, but they have underachieved to this point. They were great at times last year in pass pro, and had some good games running (helps having Duke behind you) against crappy teams but if we want to take the next step, they have to play to their potential.

It's there though, there is no denying it. It's a deep, experienced, talented group.

point by point:

So UF's O-line was great rushing the football but Nixon who was a starter for three years was the weakest link and easily replaceable? But I thought the reason for sacks was because of Driskell? Now Nixon was responsible for the majority of the sacks?

Also, UF ran the ball early and often because there was no passing game to speak of (114th passing attack). Even though UF rushed the ball the majority of the time UF had the 39th ranked rushing attack. The truth is that your defense was that good last year because of players like Elam, Bostic, and Floyd. I would argue that Elam was one of the if not the best CFB players in the entire nation last year. The defense was amazing at getting turnovers and won the majority of games for your team last year. There were what 5 or 6 turnovers in the FSU game alone?

What happens when the defense isn't as good and you're breaking in a new O-line?

driskel was a cause of a lot of those sacks, no denying that at all. but the two issues aren't exclusive, driskel can take a lot of dumb sacks while xavier nixon is still not good. he has led uf in penalties on the o-line the last 3 years and sacks given up the last two, driskel has only started one year. so even if i give him the benefit of the doubt last year he was still awful in others.

now the o-line was very good in run blocking and obviously he plays a part, as does the other players. our guards were the strong point on the line and nixon and green were liabilities. we also threw in jumbo packages with 6 and sometimes 7 linemen so that contributed to our success on the ground. also, with regards to the lack of passing game, you're sort of making my point. we had no passing game whatsoever, teams really didn't even have to plan for it. teams knew we were running the ball and yet even against good teams they couldn't stop it. we ran on 8 and 9 man fronts all year, how does a bad o-line manage to do that? that's why i've said repeatedly the line isn't nearly as bad as most people are making them out to be.

and regarding the defense i agree 100%...they won us games last year unquestionably. it's why i have us as a 3-4 loss ball club this year.

Advertisement

uf's top 25 opponents

We weren't a good running team last year. I am not one to just blame one guy, but Fisch really ****ed us there. No continuity, which is crucial when you want to run the ball. Problem though against ND and KSU is we got our *** kicked and couldn't run it anyways(ypc was awful as you pointed out anyways though).

Bottom line though is any Canes fan worth a **** will admit that our line is good, but they have underachieved to this point. They were great at times last year in pass pro, and had some good games running (helps having Duke behind you) against crappy teams but if we want to take the next step, they have to play to their potential.

It's there though, there is no denying it. It's a deep, experienced, talented group.

nice post jhall.

no doubt miami has that potential, but they've yet to put it together. there are nfl guys there but they have not played like it consistently. both uf and miami lines are question marks imo. uf from somewhat of a talent standpoint and miami from a production standpoint.

uf's top 25 opponents

nice post jhall.

no doubt miami has that potential, but they've yet to put it together. there are nfl guys there but they have not played like it consistently. both uf and miami lines are question marks imo. uf from somewhat of a talent standpoint and miami from a production standpoint.

Looking back at last season it was pretty clear that at some point Golden and Fisch sat down and Golden told him, "this is the worst defense I've ever seen. Score as much as humanly possible. **** the rest."

Its why we were such a roller coaster to watch. That and the ACC is pretty pathetic but does have some solid offenses.

Teams like KSU and ND were too strong for our guys last year up front, and we couldn't out-athlete FSU in the secondary, especially with a hobbled Morris. Its why I remain critical of our WR group until they can beat a secondary that has just as good of athletes as we do. Coley is the difference maker eventually but not sure he is ready for a team like Florida yet.

Can't ******* wait though. Can't mother****ing wait.

Advertisement
I'm not arguing Burton is a complete beast. But what I am arguing is that these formations and packages are designed to put pressure on the defense and cause communication issues. During SEC media days a defensive coordinator said that even though UF's passing and total offense was bad, they were the hardest team to prepare for due to Burton, Patton and Hines. This year Showers will replace Hines and he is faster. So your D will have all they can handle just preparing and UF hopes it causes an issue when lining up.

Personally I'm concerned with Duke out of the backfield catching passes. A horrific matchup for our LB's.

lake alice,

if duke gets matched up on our linebackers its curtains. the good news is i read muschamp say we played nickel on something like 75% last year, so even though i'm down on the linebacking group its my hope that they won't continue to be on the field too often. it's gonna be interesting to see how coley attacks us. that's an unknown that can either be a big advantage for miami or a disadvantage.

There's some factors though that make us different offensively than last year, besides being older.

1. First and foremost, Morris missed all of last spring before his breakout year. He is healthy this year.
2. There's a group of receiving targets that could have made a big difference against FSU for instance:
-Malc Lewis
-Herb Waters
-Stacey Coley
-Beau Sandland

All have impressed this spring and summer

I'm not arguing Burton is a complete beast. But what I am arguing is that these formations and packages are designed to put pressure on the defense and cause communication issues. During SEC media days a defensive coordinator said that even though UF's passing and total offense was bad, they were the hardest team to prepare for due to Burton, Patton and Hines. This year Showers will replace Hines and he is faster. So your D will have all they can handle just preparing and UF hopes it causes an issue when lining up.

Personally I'm concerned with Duke out of the backfield catching passes. A horrific matchup for our LB's.

I understand, that isn't a concern of mine. You were the 76th ranked Scoring Offense and 103 ranked Total Offense, last year.

Do you think you are better or worse from last year?

Advertisement
Back