Potential Starting UF O Tackle out for the season

I'm not arguing Burton is a complete beast. But what I am arguing is that these formations and packages are designed to put pressure on the defense and cause communication issues. During SEC media days a defensive coordinator said that even though UF's passing and total offense was bad, they were the hardest team to prepare for due to Burton, Patton and Hines. This year Showers will replace Hines and he is faster. So your D will have all they can handle just preparing and UF hopes it causes an issue when lining up.

Personally I'm concerned with Duke out of the backfield catching passes. A horrific matchup for our LB's.

I understand, that isn't a concern of mine. You were the 76th ranked Scoring Offense and 103 ranked Total Offense, last year.

Do you think you are better or worse from last year?

I think we will be better and here is why.

Just like Morris had a full spring compared to last year, Driskel came into last year still splitting reps with Brissett. So if Morris can be better after another year, so can Driskel. Don't also forget that Driskel was the #1 QB coming out. It's not like he doesn't have talent.

Definitely not in week 2, but when Halipio comes back UF will have the best and deepest O line rotation they have had in years. Humphries is also up to around 285 compared to 260 last year. His technique is amazing and is why he could hang with LSU and S. Car D lines as an undersized freshman. I also think you guys are underestimating Moore at RT. Think about Nebraska's running game historically and he was the 1st freshman ever to start on the O line. Come on! Don't ZZzzz

Think about Frankie Hammond (LOL) and I give you Demarcus Robinson. Sure, he is a true freshman, but he did enroll early and went through spring and fall camps. He is already better than Hammond ever was as a senior. If Reed was our best receiver in terms of yards, I think D-Rob can match that as a frosh as the numbers weren't insane like a frosh Sammy Watkins.

Gilly was great. He always seemed to fall forward and never lose a yard. He would at least get back to the line of scrimmage. But at 226, Matt Jones is the type of back Muschamp wants and he proved it in the last few games. Many argued he was a better pass catcher than a RB, which was true when he 1st stepped on campus. He ran too upright a la Chris Brown from the Titans several years back. Once he corrected that, which happened late in the year, he took off capped by his performance vs FSU. Gilly was not a pass catcher and Matt brings a physical presence, as well as a 240lb Driskel, who will have designed runs.

Patton was very successful running sweeps until he got hurt vs Georgia. He will be back, as well as Burton. Pease uses both in different formations that cause the D to breakdown and eventually leave an opening somewhere. Showers, who was Michigan Gatorade player of the year as a RB will be used like Hines. Showers has speed and he actually thinks the move back to O will be great for him as he said he missed it. All the coaches say he is a natural on offense and he was just sitting behind a lot of guys in the secondary. So adding more speed can't hurt.

The TE spot will be a step back, at least at the beginning of the year. UF does have options and hopefully one or two surprise. But for the Miami game Clay Burton is an excellent blocker, actually much better than Reed ever was considering he was a high school QB. Since the Miami D line has to prove it, my guess is week 2 will include a heavy run dose.

Regarding Debose, he never did jack ish in the passing game outside of one bomb vs Alabama. So offensively not losing much since he never gave much. In the return game, yes. But Florida, just like Miami, can find a fast guy to return kicks and Purifoy is one of those guys.

Also, this is another year with the same offensive coordinator for the 1st time in several years. UF also had Bush Hamdan a freaking graduate assistant as the WR coach. Aubrie Hill leaving due to the Nevin issue caused that. Plus, I think UM fans will agree, he effing blew as a WR coach. Seriously. Joker Phillips is an amazing upgrade.

Advertisement
I should have made my question more clear and I was not looking for some thesis.

Against Miami (so week 2), do you think you are better or worse from last year on offense?

I should have made my question more clear and I was not looking for some thesis.

Against Miami (so week 2), do you think you are better or worse from last year on offense?

Wise a$$ here you go. Run-run-run-dump off pass-run-run-qb run-yes-yes-yes-prove you can stop it-prove you can stop it

Better?

All these Canes fans complaining about reading.

Wise a$$ here you go. Run-run-run-dump off pass-run-run-qb run-yes-yes-yes-prove you can stop it-prove you can stop it

Better?

Wise a$s? Wow you went for blood there, be nice man. Let's try again.

Better?

Yeah, who would think you would have to deal with Canes fans on here, what is this a Canes message board or something?

Advertisement

Better?

Yeah, who would think you would have to deal with Canes fans on here, what is this a Canes message board or something?

Tread lightly, he may call you a wise a$$.

Better?

Yes. I also think UF playing an up tempo team the week before at 12 noon will be the perfect type of pre season game.

Is Porter the best D lineman U have? If so, I feel good about the O line against him as he will be matched up with Harrison (SR)

I'm not arguing Burton is a complete beast. But what I am arguing is that these formations and packages are designed to put pressure on the defense and cause communication issues. During SEC media days a defensive coordinator said that even though UF's passing and total offense was bad, they were the hardest team to prepare for due to Burton, Patton and Hines. This year Showers will replace Hines and he is faster. So your D will have all they can handle just preparing and UF hopes it causes an issue when lining up.

Personally I'm concerned with Duke out of the backfield catching passes. A horrific matchup for our LB's.

I understand, that isn't a concern of mine. You were the 76th ranked Scoring Offense and 103 ranked Total Offense, last year.

I'm predicting it will be worse and here's why. Humphries will be replacing Nixon (3 year starter) at LT but who backs him up and how good is he? Garcia is replacing Wilson and has zero experience and who backs him up? Let's also not forget that Garcia just got back from having a back injury. Center looks good to go with Harrison returning and Koehne backing him up. Obviously Koehne will get shuffled around and provide relief and he has experience. Thurman is replacing Halapio who is coming off shoulder injury. Who backs him up? Moore is replacing Green and has zero experience. Who backs him up? Is Koehne and Silberman backing them all up? Losing Green and Halapio hurts their depth big time. Maybe this O-line is all world but you don't lose two starters with the experience Halapio and Green have and see no drop off especially when the two replacing them have zero experience.

It all starts up in the trenches. If the running game doesn't go then that offense is dead in the water because I don't have any faith in Driskell leading a passing attack. If the O-line isn't clicking then I don't care if Jones or Brown or Driskell is running the ball. It will be interesting to see and we'll know in another 10 days.

I have faith that Miami's run defense is shored up just by the added weight, strength and experience they have gained this offseason. But then again I'm biased and hate the Gators.

Better?

Yes. I also think UF playing an up tempo team the week before at 12 noon will be the perfect type of pre season game.

Is Porter the best D lineman U have? If so, I feel good about the O line against him as he will be matched up with Harrison (SR)

GTK

Advertisement

Better?

If solving for Porter is that simple to you, then you have no idea how Miami's defense is supposed to work.

IMO a big part of the disconnect (besides homerism and hope on both sides obviously) between Florida fans' perspectives on their personnel and success of different units from that of Miami fans is that most Miami fans are only looking at where they see these guys/units being for week 2. Miami fans don't car beyond that. While it seems most of the Florida fans are talking about their outlook on individuals/units for the entirety of the season.

For instance, I think Florida's OL will end up being **** solid. Moore at RT, Halapio at guard, Humphries continuing to get better with experience. BUT, Halapio is not playing week 2, Moore is playing at a different position early on and will be starting the sixth game of his career and 2nd as a gator (in a new system). For week 2, I see a mixed unit on the OL that will take more time to gel. I see their raw talent being maximized in production at a later point in the season, but not for week 2.

Similar situation with Matt Jones coming back from illness (and lack of practice, reps, etc.) and a lot of new defensive starters (despite mostly all having many snaps under their belt). I similarly expect David Gilbert (and other new guys on D) to have much more of a potential impact for the Canes in the latter half of the season.

IMO a big part of the disconnect (besides homerism and hope on both sides obviously) between Florida fans' perspectives on their personnel and success of different units from that of Miami fans is that most Miami fans are only looking at where they see these guys/units being for week 2. Miami fans don't car beyond that. While it seems most of the Florida fans are talking about their outlook on individuals/units for the entirety of the season.

For instance, I think Florida's OL will end up being **** solid. Moore at RT, Halapio at guard, Humphries continuing to get better with experience. BUT, Halapio is not playing week 2, Moore is playing at a different position early on and will be starting the sixth game of his career and 2nd as a gator (in a new system). For week 2, I see a mixed unit on the OL that will take more time to gel. I see their raw talent being maximized in production at a later point in the season, but not for week 2.

Similar situation with Matt Jones coming back from illness (and lack of practice, reps, etc.) and a lot of new defensive starters (despite mostly all having many snaps under their belt). I similarly expect David Gilbert (and other new guys on D) to have much more of a potential impact for the Canes in the latter half of the season.

Logic and reasoning can kill!!!!

Just like Morris had a full spring compared to last year, Driskel came into last year still splitting reps with Brissett. So if Morris can be better after another year, so can Driskel. Don't also forget that Driskel was the #1 QB coming out. It's not like he doesn't have talent.

Definitely not in week 2, but when Halipio comes back UF will have the best and deepest O line rotation they have had in years. Humphries is also up to around 285 compared to 260 last year. His technique is amazing and is why he could hang with LSU and S. Car D lines as an undersized freshman. I also think you guys are underestimating Moore at RT. Think about Nebraska's running game historically and he was the 1st freshman ever to start on the O line. Come on! Don't ZZzzz

Think about Frankie Hammond (LOL) and I give you Demarcus Robinson. Sure, he is a true freshman, but he did enroll early and went through spring and fall camps. He is already better than Hammond ever was as a senior. If Reed was our best receiver in terms of yards, I think D-Rob can match that as a frosh as the numbers weren't insane like a frosh Sammy Watkins.

Gilly was great. He always seemed to fall forward and never lose a yard. He would at least get back to the line of scrimmage. But at 226, Matt Jones is the type of back Muschamp wants and he proved it in the last few games. Many argued he was a better pass catcher than a RB, which was true when he 1st stepped on campus. He ran too upright a la Chris Brown from the Titans several years back. Once he corrected that, which happened late in the year, he took off capped by his performance vs FSU. Gilly was not a pass catcher and Matt brings a physical presence, as well as a 240lb Driskel, who will have designed runs.

Patton was very successful running sweeps until he got hurt vs Georgia. He will be back, as well as Burton. Pease uses both in different formations that cause the D to breakdown and eventually leave an opening somewhere. Showers, who was Michigan Gatorade player of the year as a RB will be used like Hines. Showers has speed and he actually thinks the move back to O will be great for him as he said he missed it. All the coaches say he is a natural on offense and he was just sitting behind a lot of guys in the secondary. So adding more speed can't hurt.

The TE spot will be a step back, at least at the beginning of the year. UF does have options and hopefully one or two surprise. But for the Miami game Clay Burton is an excellent blocker, actually much better than Reed ever was considering he was a high school QB. Since the Miami D line has to prove it, my guess is week 2 will include a heavy run dose.

Regarding Debose, he never did jack ish in the passing game outside of one bomb vs Alabama. So offensively not losing much since he never gave much. In the return game, yes. But Florida, just like Miami, can find a fast guy to return kicks and Purifoy is one of those guys.

Also, this is another year with the same offensive coordinator for the 1st time in several years. UF also had Bush Hamdan a freaking graduate assistant as the WR coach. Aubrie Hill leaving due to the Nevin issue caused that. Plus, I think UM fans will agree, he effing blew as a WR coach. Seriously. Joker Phillips is an amazing upgrade.

I understand everything you are saying but just because uf offense should be improved this year, it doesn't mean they will have a lot more success against Miami this year. At every level of the defense we should be improved just like your offense.

DL - we finally have Porter healthy, every DL is bigger & more experienced, we have 2 legit 3rd down pass rushers (AQM & McCord),

LB - everyone is much bigger while keeping their speed, more experienced, healthy (Perryman was injured for many games last year),

DB - loss some dead weight at Safety, Howard & Crawford are coming into their own, more experience & bigger, Bush should be back for the gators.

**Biggest thing is that we won't have to start any Freshman this year, Thurston Armbrister has been wearing the black jersey so he will probably start. I think our defense getting better even off Florida's offense getting better.

Advertisement

I understand everything you are saying but just because uf offense should be improved this year, it doesn't mean they will have a lot more success against Miami this year. At every level of the defense we should be improved just like your offense.

DL - we finally have Porter healthy, every DL is bigger & more experienced, we have 3 legit 3rd down pass rushers (AQM, McCord, and Gilbert),

LB - everyone is much bigger while keeping their speed, more experienced, healthy (Perryman was injured for many games last year). And Figatron was added to the ****nal.

DB - loss some dead weight at Safety, Howard & Crawford are coming into their own, more experience & bigger, Bush should be back for the gators.

**Biggest thing is that we won't have to start any Freshman this year, Thurston Armbrister has been wearing the black jersey so he will probably start. I think our defense getting better even off Florida's offense getting better.

Some minor adjustments...

DL - we finally have Porter healthy, every DL is bigger & more experienced, we have 3 legit 3rd down pass rushers (AQM, McCord, and Gilbert),

LB - everyone is much bigger while keeping their speed, more experienced, healthy (Perryman was injured for many games last year). And Figatron was added to the ****nal.

Some minor adjustments...

I just hate it that most of these uf fan come on hear & say how their offense is going to get so much better, while thinking our Defense will be just as bad as last year. If their offense can get better, so can our defense. We aren't starting freshman anymore gators.

Advertisement
IndayArtHauz, if I don't have a clue about your defense with regards to Porter that is fine as neither does your D coordinator.

Gcane44 is correct on the homerism angle. But I think Gators O, as well as Canes D can be better in week 2. How much we will see.

JNW4563, the addition of weight can definitely help. The thing is weight without talent won't mean as much. I like Chick and Porter, but not sure on the rest.

Canecountry3, not sure what Dorsett and the Gator WR's have to do with each other since they won't be covering each other. Also, not sure why you guys are making Dorsett out to be unstoppable. Sure, he is fast. But so are a ton of guys in D1. Plus, not sure he can catch on a consistence basis yet.

One thing not discussed is that the strongest units for each team both have new play callers. Coley and Durkin will only be in their 2nd game calling plays. I'm curious to see how that plays out.

IndayArtHauz, if I don't have a clue about your defense with regards to Porter that is fine as neither does your D coordinator.

Gcane44 is correct on the homerism angle. But I think Gators O, as well as Canes D can be better in week 2. How much we will see.

JNW4563, the addition of weight can definitely help. The thing is weight without talent won't mean as much. I like Chick and Porter, but not sure on the rest.

Canecountry3, not sure what Dorsett and the Gator WR's have to do with each other since they won't be covering each other. Also, not sure why you guys are making Dorsett out to be unstoppable. Sure, he is fast. But so are a ton of guys in D1. Plus, not sure he can catch on a consistence basis yet.

One thing not discussed is that the strongest units for each team both have new play callers. Coley and Durkin will only be in their 2nd game calling plays. I'm curious to see how that plays out.

Talent, we have talent. Florida seems to think a lot of our defensive starting coming out of high school had enough talent to get an offer from them. Lets name some shall we Anthony Chickillo, Curtis Porter, Tracy Howard, Deon Bush, Denzel Perryman, & Kacy Rodgers II. 6 of our 11 starts on defense have an offer from uf. We also have backups that have an offer from florida. Please don't come on this board and act like uf is recruiting superior athletes compared to Miami. Call out our player development before golden came hear, but don't call out our talent. uf fan talk about our talent like it's on par with FAU or FIU.

Last edited:

Talent, we have talent. Florida seems to think a lot of our defensive starting coming out of high school had enough talent to get an offer from them. Let name some shall we Anthony Chickillo, Curtis Porter, Tracy Howard, Deon Bush, Denzel Perryman, & Kacy Rodgers II. 6 of our 11 starts on defense have an offer from uf. We also have backups that have an offer from florida. Please don't come on this board and act like uf is recruiting superior athletes compared to Miami. Call out our player development before golden came hear, but don't call out our talent. uf fan talk about our talent like it's on par with FAU or FIU.

I agree on those guys, but those are only 6 of 11. What about depth? Their backups? You know, the same thing U guys are saying about UF's o line. It's going to be hot as **** on the 7th and both teams will be rotating players. How big of a drop off with backups or giving guys a breather? All the same stuff applies.

Good luck tomorrow night. I really do hope nobody gets injured.

Advertisement
Back