Potential Starting UF O Tackle out for the season

Some of you guys crack me up. Who asked if UF has a guy that can keep up with Dorsett? Seriously, dude. Lay off the pipe. I think it will be a tough game, but some of you are in la la land.

Here are some Athlon rankings going in to the year and look at potential matchups.

UF secondary is ranked #1
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-defensive-back-units-2013

Miami WR's are ranked #13
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-wide-receiving-corps-2013

But you need time to throw. Here is UF's D line ranked #4
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-defensive-lines-2013

Here is Miami's O line ranked #7, but with a lot of Seantrel hype. They apparently didn't get the memo prior to ranking.
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-offensive-lines-2013

So these 50+ point crackheads need to go into rehab. Hopefully you will be out and clean by September 7th

Advertisement
i think its funny how perception tends to turn into fact on many message boards. for example, all i have heard on this board and others is that uf's oline sucks and miami has one of the best o-lines in the country. yet, it was miami's line who didn't show up against anyone with a pulse last year. here are the facts, no bias:

uf's top 25 opponents
A&M: 142 yards rushing, 3.0 ypc (actually rushed for 201 but lost 59 yards in sacks)
LSU: 176 yards rushing, 3.0 ypc (ran for 239 and lost 63 in sacks)
USCe: 89 rushing, 1.9 ypc (ran for 135, lost 46 yards in sacks)
UGA: 75 rushing, 1.9 ypc (ran for 127 lost 52 yards in sacks)
FSU: 244 yards rushing, 5.2 ypc (ran for 298 and lost 54 yards in sacks)
LOU: 111 yards rushing, 3.7 ypc (ran for 151 and lost 40 yards in sacks)

as you can clearly see, excluding missouri and uga, uf's o-line ran it down the throats of all the good defenses they played. they were only hindered by driskel and the stupid sacks he took which skewed the numbers. keep in mind they did so with no help of the passing game whatsoever, yet they are considered to be awful.

now miami's o-line against top 25 opponents:
KState: 40 yards rushing, 1.4 ypc (gained 76 rushing, lost 30 in sacks)
ND: 84 rushing, 4.7 ypc
FSU:29 yards rushing, 1.4 ypc (gained 59, lost 30 in sacks)

as you can see from the stats, the only difference is in sacks given up. the one common opponent is fsu and it's really not close in terms of production for that game. uf's oline outperformed miami in every area except sacks given up and driskel is responsible for a large bit of that. yet uf's oline is the one that is supposedly trash. yea i know, i know...that was last year. miami will be improved but there's no chance uf's offense will be improved though.

don't get it twisted, i think miami's oline has the potential to be one of the best in the country, potential being the key word because they haven't done it yet. looking at the numbers why so quick to prop up miami's oline while simultaenously downing uf's when uf's line performed better against good opponents.

Last edited:
Some of you guys crack me up. Who asked if UF has a guy that can keep up with Dorsett? Seriously, dude. Lay off the pipe. I think it will be a tough game, but some of you are in la la land.

Here are some Athlon rankings going in to the year and look at potential matchups.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-defensive-back-units-2013

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-wide-receiving-corps-2013

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-defensive-lines-2013

Here is Miami's O line ranked #7, but with a lot of Seantrel hype. They apparently didn't get the memo prior to ranking.
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-offensive-lines-2013

So these 50+ point crackheads need to go into rehab. Hopefully you will be out and clean by September 7th

That link doesn't answer my question about Dorsett plus Athlon sucks. I know Roberson can't run with Dorsett. Not sure about purify but I doubt he can either.

i think its funny how perception tends to turn into fact on many message boards. for example, all i have heard on this board and others is that uf's oline sucks and miami has one of the best o-lines in the country. yet, it was miami's line who didn't show up against anyone with a pulse last year. here are the facts, no bias:

uf's top 25 opponents
A&M: 142 yards rushing, 3.0 ypc (actually rushed for 201 but lost 59 yards in sacks)

as you can clearly see, excluding missouri and uga, uf's o-line ran it down the throats of all the good defenses they played. they were only hindered by driskel and the stupid sacks he took which skewed the numbers. keep in mind they did so with no help of the passing game whatsoever, yet they are considered to be awful.

as you can see from the stats, the only difference is in sacks given up. the one common opponent is fsu and it's really not close in terms of production for that game. uf's oline outperformed miami in every area except sacks given up and driskel is responsible for a large bit of that. yet uf's oline is the one that is supposedly trash. yea i know, i know...that was last year. miami will be improved but there's no chance uf's offense will be improved though.

don't get it twisted, i think miami's oline has the potential to be one of the best in the country, potential being the key word because they haven't done it yet. looking at the numbers why so quick to prop up miami's oline while simultaenously downing uf's when uf's line performed better against good opponents.

You showing stats from last year doesn't help you cause really espeially since alot of the guys responsible for your teams rushing success are no longer on the team. Miami returns everyone. All people are saying is that most likely Miami has the edge here based on that. Oohing more nothing less. In 2 weeks we will have the answer.

uf's top 25 opponents

The problem is you pretend to come from a place of objectivity, but have no problem taking relatively absurd leaps in logic when discussing the gators

Advertisement

That link doesn't answer my question about Dorsett plus Athlon sucks. I know Roberson can't run with Dorsett. Not sure about purify but I doubt he can either.

Go pick your favorite 2014 NFL mock website. Please tell me Purifoy AND Roberson aren't projected in the 1st round as of today. Purifoy can run with Dorsett while Roberson is a better cover corner. Dorsett is faster than Roberson, but Roberson is up to 200lb compared to the 175 Dorsett. He will get jammed at the line while the D line pressures Morris. Will Dorsett catch some balls? Sure. But just stop it with Dorsett being some freakinf All American. The guy didn't do jack vs ND, FSU or K Sate and now he is Michael Irvin.

uf's top 25 opponents

The problem is you pretend to come from a place of objectivity, but have no problem taking relatively absurd leaps in logic when discussing the gators

like? my posts are here for everyone to see, what absurd leaps have i taken? i'd be interested to see them.

Go pick your favorite 2014 NFL mock website. Please tell me Purifoy AND Roberson aren't projected in the 1st round as of today. Purifoy can run with Dorsett while Roberson is a better cover corner. Dorsett is faster than Roberson, but Roberson is up to 200lb compared to the 175 Dorsett. He will get jammed at the line while the D line pressures Morris. Will Dorsett catch some balls? Sure. But just stop it with Dorsett being some freakinf All American. The guy didn't do jack vs ND, FSU or K Sate and now he is Michael Irvin.

Naw I'll wait til the actual draft. Don't give a **** about a projection. Dorsett is faster than both your cb's. if they can't contain him One on one you will be forced to make adjustments defensively that will favor Miami. Thanks me later cuz you can't get these kinda pointers from Athlon.

Naw I'll wait til the actual draft. Don't give a **** about a projection. Dorsett is faster than both your cb's. if they can't contain him One on one you will be forced to make adjustments defensively that will favor Miami. Thanks me later cuz you can't get these kinda pointers from Athlon.

Did anyone teach him to catch in the off season? Because the ND game wasn't the only game he had the dropsies.

By the way, Patterson from Tenn and Mike Evans from aTm are better than Dorsett and the Gators did just fine.

Advertisement
like? my posts are here for everyone to see, what absurd leaps have i taken? i'd be interested to see them.

Of your top 8 OL from last season, 4 (and very arguably the top 4) are not returning. Yet, you have no problem citing last year's OL results as a point of reference in comparing to Miami's OL (which has the top 6 OL returning).

You have 2 transfers coming in on OL, neither of which were All-Conference players (Tyler Moore was freshman all big ten - many conferences don't even have freshmen all conference teams - especially meaningless at OL), yet you touted them as such.

Mack Brown is a career backup that has 40 carries for 167 yards (4.1 ypc) and ZERO TDs. Mack Brown did not split carries with Gillislie last season. BUT, you try to make it seem like they are equals and that Gillislie only was the workhorse last season because Mack Brown got hurt at some point. It's likely fair to say that Gillislie really got his shot because Brown got hurt, but what about when Brown was better? Why wasn't it a 2-headed attack? Because Gillislie's carries while tired at the end of a game were still valued higher than Brown's.

I'm positive there are many others, but I don't want to waste my time going through your posts. It was obnoxious enough reading them once.

uf's top 25 opponents

Ask him his thoughts on Andrew Luck.

Of your top 8 OL from last season, 4 (and very arguably the top 4) are not returning. Yet, you have no problem citing last year's OL results as a point of reference in comparing to Miami's OL (which has the top 6 OL returning).

You have 2 transfers coming in on OL, neither of which were All-Conference players (Tyler Moore was freshman all big ten - many conferences don't even have freshmen all conference teams - especially meaningless at OL), yet you touted them as such.

Mack Brown is a career backup that has 40 carries for 167 yards (4.1 ypc) and ZERO TDs. Mack Brown did not split carries with Gillislie last season. BUT, you try to make it seem like they are equals and that Gillislie only was the workhorse last season because Mack Brown got hurt at some point. It's likely fair to say that Gillislie really got his shot because Brown got hurt, but what about when Brown was better? Why wasn't it a 2-headed attack? Because Gillislie's carries while tired at the end of a game were still valued higher than Brown's.

I'm positive there are many others, but I don't want to waste my time going through your posts. It was obnoxious enough reading them once.

point by point:

1. everyone else has used last year as a point of reference for uf's oline, now i do the same and it's an issue? or is the issue that you don't like the facts being presented that disproves the perceptions of both units? the point was to compare results to dismiss the perception that uf's o-line is trash and miami's is all-world. if you feel miami returning their top 6 guys who didn't perform well as opposed to 4 for uf who did perform well against the better teams i can't help you. btw not counting garcia and moore uf returned 6 of their top 8 last year. 2 will not be playing so that leaves 4 of 5 on the o-line...not counting moore or garcia so that is innacurate. and once again i have not spoken on what they will or won't do this year, i haven't hyped them as some great unit simply talking about the experience returning.

2. this is just factually wrong. you cited moore was freshman all big-10...well that's being an all-conference member nothing there to be argued. garcia started 13 games at left tackle for maryland in 11'...again all facts.

3. clearly you missed the point. gilislee was also a career backup before last year. and the guy you're downing (brown) was ahead of gilislee on the depth chart before brown missed time with injuries in the preseason. so i don't see the issue in saying they were at least equal in ability considering brown was slated to start ahead of gilislee. bottom line is gilislee got his shot because brown was injured and took it and ran with it stop pretending like gilislee was some ultra stud back and nobody was close to him. and to answer your question, once brown came back he got injured again and missed another 4 games, he was never healthy during the season. by that point jones had come on and the rest is history. point being there is a lot of revisionist history going on with gilislee.

Let's also add that this thread topic is about Florida's OL, not Miami's OL.

Our backup running backs are on par with Florida's whole RB crew today. Eduardo Clements, Dallas Crawford and Gus Bus are just as good as Brown, Glorified Walk on, Infection boy, Safety and Freshman.

The issue is these RBs are running behind an OL that has issues.

Advertisement

Our backup running backs are on par with Florida's whole RB crew today. Eduardo Clements, Dallas Crawford and Gus Bus are just as good as Brown, Glorified Walk on, Infection boy, Safety and Freshman.

yep but the numbers were just to highlight the performances of each relative to their perceptions.

you and many others have said miami has the best o-line in the nation and uf has one of the worst despite the fact that uf's line performed better against the better teams. it just highlights the gap in logic being applied to both units. bottom line both have a lot to prove but the way some of you tell it miami has 5 future pro-bowlers and uf's line is barely d-1 caliber. gotta love the offseason.

Miami was down 4 scores early into the 2nd Qtr against KSU.. (who ended up with more than double TOP) Can't exactly stick to the running game. Agasint ND, our staff wanted to throw the ball. (ND had inexperienced secondary) PD dropped 3 TD passes in the first half alone. ND got up 3 scores in 1st possession of 2nd half, couldn't exactly run then either. Against FSU, Duke was about half speed, should have been held out due to turf toe. Actually ran it well early w/ MJ but abandoned it too soon IYAM. Thought the o-line did struggle at KSU but Morris had all day against FSU but was just hobbled himself. (game time decision to play w/ rolled ankle)

In saying all that, I think the OL needs to improve.. They struggled in the red zone & on short yardage conversions, which is where a great OL will dominate. UF's OL might not be awful... but they are pretty average.

Miami was down 4 scores early into the 2nd Qtr against KSU.. (who ended up with more than double TOP) Can't exactly stick to the running game. Agasint ND, our staff wanted to throw the ball. (ND had inexperienced secondary) PD dropped 3 TD passes in the first half alone. ND got up 3 scores in 1st possession of 2nd half, couldn't exactly run then either. Against FSU, Duke was about half speed, should have been held out due to turf toe. Actually ran it well early w/ MJ but abandoned it too soon IYAM. Thought the o-line did struggle at KSU but Morris had all day against FSU but was just hobbled himself. (game time decision to play w/ rolled ankle)

In saying all that, I think the OL needs to improve.. They struggled in the red zone & on short yardage conversions, which is where a great OL will dominate. UF's OL might not be awful... but they are pretty average.

fair post.

Advertisement

point by point:

1. everyone else has used last year as a point of reference for uf's oline, now i do the same and it's an issue? or is the issue that you don't like the facts being presented that disproves the perceptions of both units? the point was to compare results to dismiss the perception that uf's o-line is trash and miami's is all-world. if you feel miami returning their top 6 guys who didn't perform well as opposed to 4 for uf who did perform well against the better teams i can't help you. btw not counting garcia and moore uf returned 6 of their top 8 last year. 2 will not be playing so that leaves 4 of 5 on the o-line...not counting moore or garcia so that is innacurate. and once again i have not spoken on what they will or won't do this year, i haven't hyped them as some great unit simply talking about the experience returning.

2. this is just factually wrong. you cited moore was freshman all big-10...well that's being an all-conference member nothing there to be argued. garcia started 13 games at left tackle for maryland in 11'...again all facts.

3. clearly you missed the point. gilislee was also a career backup before last year. and the guy you're downing (brown) was ahead of gilislee on the depth chart before brown missed time with injuries in the preseason. so i don't see the issue in saying they were at least equal in ability considering brown was slated to start ahead of gilislee. bottom line is gilislee got his shot because brown was injured and took it and ran with it stop pretending like gilislee was some ultra stud back and nobody was close to him. and to answer your question, once brown came back he got injured again and missed another 4 games, he was never healthy during the season. by that point jones had come on and the rest is history. point being there is a lot of revisionist history going on with gilislee.

The "issue of Gilislee" is not what he was before he became the #1. It's what he did on the field. You're minimizing his production with an amalgamated "well if Brown>Gilislee, but Gil got to jump over him due to injury, than Brown's production>Gilislee's production." The reality is that if there was reason for your staff to believe Gil was capable of the season he had last year, he would've had the edge over Brown, just like Jones does now. Brown isn't better because of Gil, or Jones. Or is every unproven back on Florida's depth chart a 1,000 yard rusher? You're lowering the recently-historic accomplishment of Gil to one of faceless happenstance. It would be like Miami fans saying "well Tommy Streeter hadn't done anything before 2011; his good year was a surprise, so any jack on the roster should be able to replicate his production for 2012." Or "Hey Morris was a JAG until 2012, so when he leaves Olsen should easily throw for 4000 a year." It's not transitive just because you want it to be.

Did you or did you not lose productive, starting offensive lineman? How many? Do you or do you not have capable backups, and do you anticipate any drop off or learning curve? It sounds like losing starters--once again--is no big deal for an offense that struggled often last year. If Miami lost our 1,000 yard rusher and multiple OL, you would be rightly assigning question marks to their offensive production.

The numbers you used for Miami's rushing inadequacy is flawed. Stats do not tell the story of those games, which was Miami's inability to score or stay off the field on D. There was no chance to develop the run against ND or KSU, and Johnson had sand toe for FSU. It's not bad to use what's on paper; it's bad to ignore what isn't.

Last edited:

yep but the numbers were just to highlight the performances of each relative to their perceptions.

you and many others have said miami has the best o-line in the nation and uf has one of the worst despite the fact that uf's line performed better against the better teams. it just highlights the gap in logic being applied to both units. bottom line both have a lot to prove but the way some of you tell it miami has 5 future pro-bowlers and uf's line is barely d-1 caliber. gotta love the offseason.

Please show me this post in bold. I never made this comment. I do think we have a really good OL though.

There is no gap in logic on this side buddy, keep up the good work though.

uf's top 25 opponents

LOL!!!! I guess it still isn't sinking in. Your stats are BS and you want to know why? Four (4) of the starting O-linemen for UF will not be playing against Miami and the RB who amassed those yards won't be running behind the new O-line. What does stats from last year have to do with a new O-line and RB for this year? Also, how was Miami's O-line supposed to put up all these rushing yards against the top teams when #1 the defense couldn't off the field so the offense never had the ball and #2 they were playing from behind so they were throwing the ball more in those games to try and catch up?

I understand UF did better than Miami last year. You fail to understand that last year was last year and your team isn't the same s last year.

Advertisement
Back