OT would like some recs NYC

Advertisement
Advertisement
When I go to NYC I hunt desserts.

Doughnut Plant - best cake donuts. I Always bring them home on the plane cause they keep well.

Doughnut Project - most creative flavors in the world. This weekend they have peanut butter specials.

Mah-Ze-Dahr bakery - variety of high quality baked goods.

Dominique Ansel Bakery - overhyped but Cronuts, DKAs, bostock, frozen smore, are all good.

Levain bakery - famous gigantic cookies. I take them home and warm them in the oven.

For dinner I'll suggest Gramercy Tavern because they have my favorite pastry chef in NYC. The most memorable meals I had in NYC were omakase and a modern Korean place called Atoboy.

For lunch I'll echo the suggestion to go to Los Tacos no 1 because that market has other good food like Dizengoff (hummus bar) and Seed+Mill for halva.

I Sodi in west village on Christopher St.

Best pasta in NYC and the strawberry tiramisu is unreal.

When I go to NYC I hunt desserts.

Doughnut Plant - best cake donuts. I Always bring them home on the plane cause they keep well.

Doughnut Project - most creative flavors in the world. This weekend they have peanut butter specials.

Mah-Ze-Dahr bakery - variety of high quality baked goods.

Dominique Ansel Bakery - overhyped but Cronuts, DKAs, bostock, frozen smore, are all good.

Levain bakery - famous gigantic cookies. I take them home and warm them in the oven.

For dinner I'll suggest Gramercy Tavern because they have my favorite pastry chef in NYC. The most memorable meals I had in NYC were omakase and a modern Korean place called Atoboy.

For lunch I'll echo the suggestion to go to Los Tacos no 1 because that market has other good food like Dizengoff (hummus bar) and Seed+Mill for halva.

Went to both Doughnut Plant and Levain last time I was in NYC.

Thanks for the second on Los Tacos No 1.

Quality Meats is a cool spot with great steaks, a block from Central Park South.

Beauty & Essex is a very trendy place on the lower east side, with great food served tapas style.

Both are pricey, but very good.
I actually just left beauty and Essex a couple hours ago. Ate there tonight.

Always a good vibe, cool crowd and good music. Speakeasy-esque restaurant hidden under the guise of a pawnshop

Advertisement
Keens is always a must for me. Wine list is **** but Dat mutton chop lives up to the hype.
Was going to recommend Keens as well. You can get a decent dry aged ribeye just about anywhere. But that mutton chop is something special and worth a try. And I thought the wine list was pretty decent actually.

Jumping on this, due to a flight screwup I’m in SoHo until 6pm tonight, where should I go for a late lunch/early dinner before I head out?

Jumping on this, due to a flight screwup I’m in SoHo until 6pm tonight, where should I go for a late lunch/early dinner before I head out?

If you wanna stay in Soho, check out one of these two off spring street:
- Boqueria (Spanish tapas brunch - lively scene)
- Raoul’s (French bistro and an excellent brunch spot...it’s been around about 50 years)

Or my Personal Favorite:
- Crosby Bar (in the Crosby hotel - really, really good scene)

I live in TriBeCa - walking distance to soho and I go to all these spots pretty often

Edit: Raoul’s is on Prince*

Last edited:
Advertisement
Was going to recommend Keens as well. You can get a decent dry aged ribeye just about anywhere. But that mutton chop is something special and worth a try. And I thought the wine list was pretty decent actually.
Agreed! For steaks, Keens is also on the list I gave him.

I would rent a car and drive to DBC's house in Jersey for brunch. The spread is amazing (he's doing some real innovative stuff with farm raised venison) but the conversation is unparalleled.

Advertisement
Heck, I was happy with the shrimp fra diavolo at Da Nico in Little Italy followed by a cannoli at Ferrara.

I can make a steak at home as good as almost anywhere except maybe Okeechobee Steakhouse because their au poivre is better.

Heck, I was happy with the shrimp fra diavolo at Da Nico in Little Italy followed by a cannoli at Ferrara.

I can make a steak at home as good as almost anywhere except maybe Okeechobee Steakhouse because their au poivre is better.

You seem like a knowledgeable South Florida steak connoisseur based off the mention of Okeechobee Steakhouse alone. Have you been to Tropical Acres? If so, is it worth the visit just to knock it off the Broward bucket list? I've been delaying a trip for like 15 years.

You seem like a knowledgeable South Florida steak connoisseur based off the mention of Okeechobee Steakhouse alone. Have you been to Tropical Acres? If so, is it worth the visit just to knock it off the Broward bucket list? I've been delaying a trip for like 15 years.
Regrettably, I have not. I rarely venture out of Palm Beach County. I've heard good things and it's on my list to try now that Okeechobee Steakhouse raised their prices.

Went to both Doughnut Plant and Levain last time I was in NYC.

Thanks for the second on Los Tacos No 1.

Yeah apparently I'm wrong and Dizengoff closed a while ago which is weird cause I must've gone there right before it closed. But I've heard good things about Miznon which effectively replaced it.

Advertisement
Back