OT Italian and seafood ft Lauderdale

Advertisement
Valentino and Casa D’angelo are best unless you want red sauce. Seafood for more shellfish and a fresh catch go to Coconuts.

Last edited:
OP if you have time to visit palm beach county go to riggins and or brass ring pub
Go a little further north to Jetty's or U-Tiki for seafood. Brass Ring is a dump, but they have a new location in Jupiter that I haven't tried yet.

Advertisement
Here's some straight up facts about Italian Restaurants, coming from a Classically trained Italian Chef....
#1....Never...and I mean Never, should you pay more than $16 for ANY Pasta dish...
I see places that charge $24+ for a Pasta dish, which is maddening to me...
#2....If your gonna spend Top $$ for Italian food...spend it on something worthwhile like a Tarragon and Olive Oil marinated Veal Chop or Ossa Bucco....not $24 for Linguine and Clam sauce...
#3....Keep in mind...Italian Restaurants that serve Homemade Pasta, will always have more exorbitant prices based on the fact there's alot more overhead (hrs of prep work) compared to Dry Pasta (which CaneinOrlando prefers, simply because you can control the firmness)....

Advertisement
Here's some straight up facts about Italian Restaurants, coming from a Classically trained Italian Chef....
#1....Never...and I mean Never, should you pay more than $16 for ANY Pasta dish...
I see places that charge $24+ for a Pasta dish, which is maddening to me...
#2....If your gonna spend Top $$ for Italian food...spend it on something worthwhile like a Tarragon and Olive Oil marinated Veal Chop or Ossa Bucco....not $24 for Linguine and Clam sauce...
#3....Keep in mind...Italian Restaurants that serve Homemade Pasta, will always have more exorbitant prices based on the fact there's alot more overhead (hrs of prep work) compared to Dry Pasta (which CaneinOrlando prefers, simply because you can control the firmness)....

Love osso bucco

Been there 4 times...has to be trolling...Food is 2nd to none....
Or possibly just ate at the wrong places. For example in Venice we had some meals that were absolutely phenomenal. But thats because we were told where to go. There are some tourist trap joints on the Grand Canal that have food about on par with your local Sbarro's. Yet they are packed all day long because their location draws in naive tourists.

Advertisement
Stiltsville in Miami

1. Amazing seafood
2. Best fried chicken in the area. Stole the original chef from Yardbird (why they suck now)
3. Best burger in the area. Top it with a lobster tail

@OriginalCanesCanesCanes I as well....Whats even better is Osso Bucco with a Pork Shank instead of a Veal Shank....The flavor is even better...and by using a Pork Shank you can reduce the price of the dish...
Interesting. Never heard of that. Makes sense. I live osso bucco too. Bone marrow with a tiny fork. Yum! Sounds terrible when you say it that way. Lol

Or possibly just ate at the wrong places. For example in Venice we had some meals that were absolutely phenomenal. But thats because we were told where to go. There are some tourist trap joints on the Grand Canal that have food about on par with your local Sbarro's. Yet they are packed all day long because their location draws in naive tourists.
Evidently he wasn't in Tuscany...Parma or Sicily...

Advertisement
Interesting. Never heard of that. Makes sense. I live osso bucco too. Bone marrow with a tiny fork. Yum! Sounds terrible when you say it that way. Lol
Another little secret in ref to Veal Parmesan..
Instead of using Mozz for cheese...A majority of Italian Restaurants use Muenster instead because of the meltability and flavor....

My 1st trip was to Calabria and the neighboring coastal towns since it was my Moms birthplace...But my favorite was Tuscany...Food was A+...and Tuscan Wines are 2nd too none...

Evidently he wasn't in Tuscany...Parma or Sicily...
Aye. I havent been to parma or sicily. Tuscany is my favorite region in Italy. Best food (and wines) Ive ever had, and its not even close. Also the most beautiful earth ive ever seen.

The same thing I was saying above is true re visiting wineries. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a wedding in Montalcino. Home of Brunello, my favorite wines in the world. There are 4 or 5 big name vineyards there that everyone goes to. Yet those experiences are generic and lifeless. There are 100s of smaller family operations, many with barely a sign, that are exponentially better than those massive commerical operations. THEY are the true spirit of places like Montalcino. Yet if you didnt stray from the beaten paths you would never know.

Aye. I havent been to parma or sicily. Tuscany is my favorite region in Italy. Best food (and wines) Ive ever had, and its not even close. Also the most beautiful earth ive ever seen.

The same thing I was saying above is true re visiting wineries. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a wedding in Montalcino. Home of Brunello, my favorite wines in the world. There are 4 or 5 big name vineyards there that everyone goes to. Yet those experiences are generic and lifeless. There are 100s of smaller family operations, many with barely a sign, that are exponentially better than those massive commerical operations. THEY are the true spirit of places like Montalcino. Yet if you didnt stray from the beaten paths you would never know.
I honestly didn't want to leave Tuscany....Montalcino Reds sh*t on ANY Wine in the world....And France...im talking to you....Lol....CaneinOrlando keeps it at home at all times...Total Wine has an excellent selection of Italian Reds...from $$ to $$$$....

Advertisement
Back