Oregon/Mario

If it was speculated he might leave Oregon for LSU that would make perfect sense & I would actually agree with it...

But Miami?? No coach in their right mind leaves a better program to come to Miami lol
That "dream job" **** only goes so far too if the risk is killing your career. He's perfectly situated in Oregon to rake in money and to have success in a currently diluted Pac-12 while keeping his options open for a better job if for some reason USC actually ever re-emerges as a legit power.

Advertisement
On paper, no, but something that doesn’t seem to get discussed is a lot of these coaches have huge egos. He may think he’s the one that can fix his alma mater and bring them back. He would be considered a hero.
This could be true but Miami will have to offer him something close to what Jimbo got for a&m for him to leave. Security and money wise, everyone on the same page for the same goal. Miami administration has never shown that type of commitment. He is one CFP appearance away from hand picking recruits from the west coast

This could be true but Miami will have to offer him something close to what Jimbo got for a&m for him to leave. Security and money wise, everyone on the same page for the same goal. Miami administration has never shown that type of commitment. He is one CFP appearance away from hand picking recruits from the west coast
I agree. I was just throwing something out there that never really gets discussed. How many of the former players have been in his ear about we need you to fix it? Maybe a bunch, maybe none but these are some of the variables that may come into play with Mario that don’t with other candidates

e National spotlight on Luigi next week and they're absolutely going to **** the bed. UCLA is not THAT good either but it'll be clear that even now Chip is a much better gameday coach.

If this game is in L.A., Oregon is primed to be hammered by the Bruins. UCLA is playing at Home, is 5-2, seems fairly evenly matched, and is an unranked dog with the 10th ranked Ducks in their house.

Not only do I smell an upset, I smell a possible beatdown.

Advertisement
I agree. I was just throwing something out there that never really gets discussed. How many of the former players have been in his ear about we need you to fix it? Maybe a bunch, maybe none but these are some of the variables that may come into play with Mario that don’t with other candidates
I hope all of the former players is in his ear. I want Mario here. He got what I want HC. He hires great coaches, he is a monster recruiter, he is not tied to scheme, he has tons of experience and he understands the importance of line play. He got flaws but all coaches do.

That "dream job" **** only goes so far too if the risk is killing your career. He's perfectly situated in Oregon to rake in money and to have success in a currently diluted Pac-12 while keeping his options open for a better job if for some reason USC actually ever re-emerges as a legit power.
Southern Cal's "depression" was always the Upside to Oregon's fortunes. Once their Board of Trustees (some of the most powerful people in that state) got their act together and aligned the Athletic Department and the Trojan Football Program back together, Oregon wouldn't be able to come down and poach in California.

Mario would have no alternative but to find greener pastures. No serious California football player would want to play in Oregon if SC is a playoff team.

I believe he’s won 2 Pac 12 titles, and just had his OC almost die right before they lost to Stanford. Mario isn’t the best game day coach but he will recruit studs, lead a team that looks like a SEC school and have good coaches around him. He will hold players accountable.

How quickly we forget they beat Ohio St this year. At Miami there is no perfect hire unless it’s Saban.

Kiffin was fired at USC and didn’t do all that great at Tennessee.

We’d be lucky to get someone like Mario, is he perfect? No…. But these terrible week by week coaching takes are very canes Facebook page like.
And people are forgetting about the huge injuries they've been dealing with. But people have narratives to meet, so there's that.

It would be the most *** backwards move a HC has ever made in college football IMO.

It would be the equivalent of Lincoln Riley leaving Oklahoma to take the job at Kansas or Nebraska.

I seriously can’t think of one logical reason for Cristobal to leave Oregon for Miami...

I grew up in Oregon. My sisters are Ducks. My neighbors have a big party for Ducks fans every game day. Many Ducks fans are not enamored with Cristobal. They think he fell *** backwards in the title game last year and loses too many games to teams he should easily beat. He will always fall short of the playoffs. Mario built something good but they think he's reaching his ceiling and they need a different coach to finally put them over the top. Are they spoiled and unlikely to find a better coach? Probably. But IMO he's not as popular in Eugene as you may believe. Doesn't mean he'd come to UM though.

I disagree with saying Oregon is a better job - as has been pointed out, 3 years ago a mediocre UM team, even with the loss to Pitt, gets into the playoffs with a win over Clemson. A 1 loss Oregon is already out of the playoff picture this year unless some craziness occurs later in the season (they probably get jumped by a G5, Cincinnati, when the BCS rankings come out). This year a minimally competent HC would have torn through the ACC coastal (Pitt might have been the one tough game in the regular season) and played a weakened Clemson in the acc championship. An ACC champ with 1 regular season loss still has a realistic shot at getting into the playoffs. A Pac12 team has to run the table. So depends on what you want to weigh when saying which job is better. Oregon has resources and money. Big plus, of course. Right now he has a lock on Cali recruiting, but USC can take that advantage away depending on who they hire. Other downside is Oregon has zero margin for error. One regular season slip and they are out of the playoffs. Call it an east coast bias or whatever you will, but a team still having control of its playoff fate despite a regular season loss (in most seasons) is attractive to a lot of coaches.

Advertisement
Fire Blake

Hire ZO

ZO and Vilma get on a plane, go see Urban, Kiffin, Fickell, and Freeze.
Lol urban

madison keys hug GIF by WTA

If Oregon drops one more game before the reg season is over, Cristobalis probably entering next year on do or die mode over there. Similar to Manny last/this year.
If he drops 2 or more, including losing the PAC-12, he might be gone after the season

I grew up in Oregon. My sisters are Ducks. My neighbors have a big party for Ducks fans every game day. Many Ducks fans are not enamored with Cristobal. They think he fell *** backwards in the title game last year and loses too many games to teams he should easily beat. He will always fall short of the playoffs. Mario built something good but they think he's reaching his ceiling and they need a different coach to finally put them over the top. Are they spoiled and unlikely to find a better coach? Probably. But IMO he's not as popular in Eugene as you may believe. Doesn't mean he'd come to UM though.

I disagree with saying Oregon is a better job - as has been pointed out, 3 years ago a mediocre UM team, even with the loss to Pitt, gets into the playoffs with a win over Clemson. A 1 loss Oregon is already out of the playoff picture this year unless some craziness occurs later in the season (they probably get jumped by a G5, Cincinnati, when the BCS rankings come out). This year a minimally competent HC would have torn through the ACC coastal (Pitt might have been the one tough game in the regular season) and played a weakened Clemson in the acc championship. An ACC champ with 1 regular season loss still has a realistic shot at getting into the playoffs. A Pac12 team has to run the table. So depends on what you want to weigh when saying which job is better. Oregon has resources and money. Big plus, of course. Right now he has a lock on Cali recruiting, but USC can take that advantage away depending on who they hire. Other downside is Oregon has zero margin for error. One regular season slip and they are out of the playoffs. Call it an east coast bias or whatever you will, but a team still having control of its playoff fate despite a regular season loss (in most seasons) is attractive to a lot of coaches.
So your friends are spot on about Oregon and Mario. He’s the best we’ll do but he isn’t the belle of the ball

Advertisement
Advertisement
So Mario is currently 5-1 & on pace to win his 3rd PAC-12 title, plus is getting paid $4.4mill per currently with a $9 million dollar buyout that decreases to $6.5mill in January, which means Miami would have to offer him at the least a $5-6+mill contract plus play almost an additional $10mill for the buyout...

Can someone honestly tell me what reason does Mario have to leave Oregon to come here?? He’s more successful at a better program with better resources & more support & has no issue landing high level recruits, so what fckin reason would he leave that come here & deal with this sh*t show??

And no, “He loves Miami!” is not a legit reason...
Oregon has proven to be a place coaches leave for other opportunities. Chip Kelly, Willie for example. If it wasn’t for all the Nike and facilities fun it’s not a destination spot. There’s a reason Oregon needs to be nicer than other places and that’s because nobody wants to live there

I live on the West Coast and my Oregon friends say the same thing; they arent really crazy about Mario mainly due to his game day coaching. I dont think that means he would leave there but the people who I have talked to are definitely not in love with his coaching.

Advertisement
Back