Oregon/Mario

A lot of posters will say family because it’s well rumored that his wife wants to come back to be closer to family and his mom is still here. However, he may want to be as FAR away as possible from his in laws and coaching in Oregon is the perfect excuse.

So I’m going to go with because he prefers to get his Cuban Coffee fresh from the walk up window at Versailles than those god forsaken K cups and he has a secret phobia of hippies.
He better not see what wynwood turned into and I’m sure he knows how to make his own cortadito

Advertisement
No I don’t think the allure of being “the guy” is enough to make him wanna come back, simply because it’s not possible & he knows that. Essentially, he would have to say to himself, “I’m already winning in Oregon & am setting myself for an even bigger job with my continued success in Oregon, but I’m gonna literally throw all of it away to go to a school that doesn’t like to spend money & hasn’t won a **** thing in 20 years..”

The reasoning would be just because of family, if family is a strong enough factor to make him make an inarguably terrible decision for his career & go to a worse situation than he’s already at, then God help him because nothing would make me hate my family more than pulling on my arm to make me ruin my own career.

But that overall sentiment is precisely what’s at the core of our problems as a program, too much emotion & not enough logic. This obsession with trying to hold onto the past & constantly trying to attach to the surrounding Miami culture is exactly why we’re the current predicament we’re in now... The whole Cuban coach for a Cuban Miami thing is literally what we just did with the ex mayor’s son Manuelito & it’s the exact same thing we did with Boca Raton Richt & it’s in the same vein as Miami Gardens Randy Shannon for the Miami Hurricanes, it’s this completely bogus idea of trying to match the Coach with the hometown setting of the area & it’s failed every time & going to keep failing.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again expecting a different result & right now Miami is in the psychiatric ward...
Agreed.

Tell me who the new AD is and we‘ll know if the school is truly committed. Replace Blake with a highly respected AD with major college experience, and then maybe I’ll believe.

No I don’t think the allure of being “the guy” is enough to make him wanna come back, simply because it’s not possible & he knows that. Essentially, he would have to say to himself, “I’m already winning in Oregon & am setting myself for an even bigger job with my continued success in Oregon, but I’m gonna literally throw all of it away to go to a school that doesn’t like to spend money & hasn’t won a **** thing in 20 years..”

The reasoning would be just because of family, if family is a strong enough factor to make him make an inarguably terrible decision for his career & go to a worse situation than he’s already at, then God help him because nothing would make me hate my family more than pulling on my arm to make me ruin my own career.

But that overall sentiment is precisely what’s at the core of our problems as a program, too much emotion & not enough logic. This obsession with trying to hold onto the past & constantly trying to attach to the surrounding Miami culture is exactly why we’re the current predicament we’re in now... The whole Cuban coach for a Cuban Miami thing is literally what we just did with the ex mayor’s son Manuelito & it’s the exact same thing we did with Boca Raton Richt & it’s in the same vein as Miami Gardens Randy Shannon for the Miami Hurricanes, it’s this completely bogus idea of trying to match the Coach with the hometown setting of the area & it’s failed every time & going to keep failing.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over & over again expecting a different result & right now Miami is in the psychiatric ward...
I can get behind this sentiment. It definitely is logical and I don’t think there is a NEED to have a “Cuban coach for a Cuban Miami” like you say. Not even a priority in my opinion. For me the difference is that Mario is a proven coach who has head coaching experience at a place that isn’t supposed to win much and he did, even if it was short lived. And is now doing pretty **** decent at a place that has a much higher ceiling. He’s a top notch recruiter and that’s on the west coast where he’s much less familiar than the East Coast
And down south. Obviously not to mention his recruiting at Alabama and such.

Randy had no HC experience, neither did Manny, and Richt was past his prime and was still the best coach we’ve had and the right man at the right time for the program. Mario is a step in the right direction from a pure coaching standpoint and the culture thing is a plus. I think if we get comfortable with the current reality that Miami is a tough sell, then what do we have to look forward to from a coaching standpoint? Who do we go after? What coach would want to come here black, white, Cuban or other? Or do we just go after guys who are Diamonds in the rough trying to make their name and move on to the NFL like we always have? That’s just as much holding on to the way we did things in the past as anything else.

I agree, we have to spend money and invest in our program and that would cause a much stronger shift than any one Coach without that backing and Miami needs to get on that train.

And for the record, the mayor in question who’s son runs our football program is not exactly one of the most liked people in Miami. This is coming from a Belen grad like said mayor. And Manny isn’t REALLY a “Cuban coach for a cuban Miami”.

Advertisement
If Manny had this team 5-1 and ranked in the top ten you’d all be licking his grundel. I don’t care if we don’t hire Mario, but let’s stop with the stupidity can we? A win is a win. No one remembers scores, only records
This 100%

this was a stupid post, OP, deadass.

Change out Mario for Kiffin, Fickell, Freeze OR WHOMEVER we wish to be a head coach here and they had a game like Mario and guarantee CIS is gonna find a reason to ***** and say "(insert name here) isn't a good enough coach because of his struggle win"

OUTTA.
HERE.
WITH THAT PLAYED OUT ***** *** CIS LOGIC.

I can get behind this sentiment. It definitely is logical and I don’t think there is a NEED to have a “Cuban coach for a Cuban Miami” like you say. Not even a priority in my opinion. For me the difference is that Mario is a proven coach who has head coaching experience at a place that isn’t supposed to win much and he did, even if it was short lived. And is now doing pretty **** decent at a place that has a much higher ceiling. He’s a top notch recruiter and that’s on the west coast where he’s much less familiar than the East Coast
And down south. Obviously not to mention his recruiting at Alabama and such.

Randy had no HC experience, neither did Manny, and Richt was past his prime and was still the best coach we’ve had and the right man at the right time for the program. Mario is a step in the right direction from a pure coaching standpoint and the culture thing is a plus. I think if we get comfortable with the current reality that Miami is a tough sell, then what do we have to look forward to from a coaching standpoint? Who do we go after? What coach would want to come here black, white, Cuban or other? Or do we just go after guys who are Diamonds in the rough trying to make their name and move on to the NFL like we always have? That’s just as much holding on to the way we did things in the past as anything else.

I agree, we have to spend money and invest in our program and that would cause a much stronger shift than any one Coach without that backing and Miami needs to get on that train.

And for the record, the mayor in question who’s son runs our football program is not exactly one of the most liked people in Miami. This is coming from a Belen grad like said mayor. And Manny isn’t REALLY a “Cuban coach for a cuban Miami”.
richt was a better coach than Mario and it really isn't close. richt was just burned out and had health issues. also, the recruiter thing is a bit overblown as it relates to Miami. Mario is an elite recruiter, yes, but its going to be diff when hes recruiting kids to Miami vs as the Oregon HC or Bama AC to get kids to come out of state. kids want to explore and go elsewhere so the challenge is keeping them home which isn't easy. richt could get everyone from heritage as a GA HC but as a UM HC, he struggled.

richt was a better coach than Mario and it really isn't close. richt was just burned out and had health issues. also, the recruiter thing is a bit overblown as it relates to Miami. Mario is an elite recruiter, yes, but its going to be diff when hes recruiting kids to Miami vs as the Oregon HC or Bama AC to get kids to come out of state. kids want to explore and go elsewhere so the challenge is keeping them home which isn't easy. richt could get everyone from heritage as a GA HC but as a UM HC, he struggled.
Richt definitely has a much better resume than Mario does at this point in time. He also was able to build that resume at Georgia where the resources are **** near limitless. Mario’s career at a competitive program is only getting started. As much as I love Richt and think he did well for the program, it doesn’t do us any good to say that he was burnt out even though it’s the truth. He took the job. Made the same mistakes Manny is making by trying to be the HC, Coordinator, and position coach and it didn’t work out for him. If he was so burnt out he needed to hire more qualified people to run the X’s and O’s And leave him to delegating and administrating the program.

The common theme stated is that Miami has all these challenges keeping the top kids home, administration doesn’t want to put up money, etc etc. Things we all know to be fact. So who comes here and fixes it? What is the fix? Are the only options Urban and Saban that could possibly fix this? I don’t believe that and that’s just my personal opinion. Winning fixes what we have and gets the ball rolling. Even Manny was able to bring in a nice class with top local and out of state talent. The problem is he can’t win. Maybe not a NC but other coaches would be able to win in the coastal with the talent we currently have on the roster.

Advertisement
Richt definitely has a much better resume than Mario does at this point in time. He also was able to build that resume at Georgia where the resources are **** near limitless. Mario’s career at a competitive program is only getting started. As much as I love Richt and think he did well for the program, it doesn’t do us any good to say that he was burnt out even though it’s the truth. He took the job. Made the same mistakes Manny is making by trying to be the HC, Coordinator, and position coach and it didn’t work out for him. If he was so burnt out he needed to hire more qualified people to run the X’s and O’s And leave him to delegating and administrating the program.

The common theme stated is that Miami has all these challenges keeping the top kids home, administration doesn’t want to put up money, etc etc. Things we all know to be fact. So who comes here and fixes it? What is the fix? Are the only options Urban and Saban that could possibly fix this? I don’t believe that and that’s just my personal opinion. Winning fixes what we have and gets the ball rolling. Even Manny was able to bring in a nice class with top local and out of state talent. The problem is he can’t win. Maybe not a NC but other coaches would be able to win in the coastal with the talent we currently have on the roster.

remember with Richt, UGA wasn't as limitless are they are with Kirby. Richt paid his own assistants out of his pocket to get them their bonuses and such. I know they've invested way more once Kirby took over.

I agree with your premise but sure, there are things Miami can do to make a really good pitch to Mario and make him think twice.

He's 50 so the school needs to market the whole "this could be your last job" kind of message with a commitment to a 10 year vision which includes rehauling the AD, partnership with the football program, support staff budgets, plan to improve XYZ, etc. Basically, a long term plan that shows him this school is serious about being a contender in the current college landscape despite its limitations.

Advertisement
Back