Manny on Joe Rose at 7 am Monday

Advertisement
Thanks for the recap to the poster with the JayZ avi!

You can hate Manny if you want but its really hard not to root for the guy knowing he wants nothing more than to get this program back on track. Its his dream job. No coach we have had can say that. Not even Randy IMO.

One thing you gotta give him..he makes changes when needed and he takes his destiny in his own hands. Im hoping it works out for him. Hes got a **** good roster to work with now. Spring practice should be fun. (if there is spring practice)
If it’s his dream job then why doesn’t he run the the team like it’s his dream job? If it’s your dream job you would never keep to proven failures in Rumph and Baker on staff and even worse keep Baker as D coordinator! If it’s his dream job you would think he’d like to keep it and keeping a failure like Baker as D coordinator is the fastest way to lose your supposed “dream job.” Smh

To add a couple of things;

- He avoided directly answering whether Simpson was "first choice" as DL coach. Instead, mentioned how strong the run defense was....etc

- He said numerous times how Stroud was going to be his "eyes and ears" and help out in other things, ie weight room, academics etc since" he was going to be spending more time involved in the defense." It sounded to me like he was going to be running it - not just calling plays on gameday.

- Joe Rose directly asked him how the underclassmen felt about the older guys all returning - were they discouraged because they were anticipating getting more playing time, etc. Manny insisted that all positions were open and that there would be competition for every spot...

Per Rivals follow-up with Taylor after Manny's comments:
- Taylor is now saying it looks like he could enroll for spring. Will know tomorrow. He won't be in until close to Feb. 2nd late enrollment date but it seems like he will get in.

Brashard SMith will NOT be in for early enrollment.
This is an important question and concern. Returning experience doesn't matter if that experience is terrible. I think one of the things that have hurt Manny the most is personnel deployment and sticking with older guys instead of going with younger dudes (WR room, anyone?). It would really suck to lose younger guys to the portal because we refuse to try different players and keep sending duds like McCloud or Pope/Wiggins out there

Advertisement
Good interview but I don’t like that literally everyone but T Rob was discussed. His change should've been the easiest to talk about.
the only dude on our defensive staff who put people into the NFL and has guys still in the playoffs playing

Recap:

8. Open competition at every position with the exception of Pope, Wiggins, Carter and McCloud. Guys coming back provide depth, whether they end up starting or not. We were too thin at too many position groups last year.

It was actually a great interview. Manny seems knowledgeable and, as always, aware. He seems confident with our depth this year. Hope he proves all the mopes wrong.
Fixed it for you

Talladega Nights The Ballad Of Ricky Bobby GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
Followed by

1610992794615.gif

Advertisement
Will be interesting to see how he tries to spin the ridiculous moves that just happened on defense. Never in my life have I seen a coordinator take a demotion like that or two guys switch jobs vertically.

Clearly there's more to the story but we'll probably never know what happened.
I thought maybe you would know the scoop.

Dont try to explain it to the Mope Zombie Army. They stay alive only to **** on Diaz. Ive said it 100 times there are things that you can criticize Manny about but give credit when its due.

We just finished ranked, pulled an amazing recruiting class, got TRob, got a sh1tload of our players to stay, pulled arguably the best CB, the best DE, and the best WR in the portal. And still ppl are hating.
To a lot of the die hard cane fans, and or alum as myself included, its not about ranking, recruiting or coaching changes. It’s all about winning championships. You know, when was the last time cane fans had those bragging rights. About 20 years now.

Advertisement
Brinson,Williams and Taylor should see significant reps this season as incoming freshmen. They all represent gamechanging playmakers who we currently don‘t have on the roster. The coaches must find a way to make that happen. Upperclassmen will have to give up some reps. “Run it Back!” should be replaced with “Run it Right!”

Last edited:
But it’s not
Coaches will straight say they will find out who the best 22 guys are and play them.. not that they “want to play the best guys”. Want and will are very different my friend.
Have you not be seen this team and these coaches? Would you be willing to bet your house on it that he will play the best 22 guys? There’s a long trend and I don’t foresee it changing Under Diaz
I would like to see the best players who collectively play together the best as a unit.

Advertisement
When did the board get so obsessed with this seniority conspiracy theory? I get certain players that do not need to be named were playing awful and this weakness should be addressed. But aside from people thinking there is some blind loyalty to older players solely because of age, look at it from a logical perspective:

1. Manny is the same guy who had Bandy, Garvin, and Carter (all TF at the time) in the game against ND years ago during Bandy's pick 6. That was a top 10 matchup on national television, prime time slot, on a critical drive before half and Manny had 3 TF in there.

2. Manny was also the one who started a trio of TF LB for the first time ever in UM history, yet now people assume he has some seniority obsession and has changed in a few years?

3. You are grossly overestimating the "good guy" in diaz... he is going to put out a senior, who he knows is less talented than the guy behind him, because he has some undying loyalty and is willing to put his job on the line so the older guys can play? I like to think I am a nice guy but no way I am employing a bunch of my friends who I know suck at their job just because they are my friends and risk my own livelihood.

4. People are always obsessed with the "new" recruits, people always pounding the table for a back-up. Look at the NFL, think of your favorite team, now think of the player you think is the worst... can you name his backup? Do you think the backup is better and should be playing but the coach isnt because of seniority? Or is it just because the backup isnt better than the ****** player in front of him?

Regardless, everyone should blame the "coaching" aspect. LB is a weak spot, Manny had 4 years to find and groom replacements for the starting freshman trio. None seemed to develop how they should. Yes some were injured and we missed on some big targets but have any of the backups really impressed anyone here? Blame Manny for lack of talent in the room and bad evals, blame manny for the overall play as they do not appear to be well coached, but blaming him for thinking he is putting out a guy to play just because he has SR next to his name is foolish.

This is an important question and concern. Returning experience doesn't matter if that experience is terrible. I think one of the things that have hurt Manny the most is personnel deployment and sticking with older guys instead of going with younger dudes (WR room, anyone?). It would really suck to lose younger guys to the portal because we refuse to try different players and keep sending duds like McCloud or Pope/Wiggins out there
In my opinion, this is by far Manny's biggest, and most inexplicable, flaw. It's way worse than keeping Baker imo.

Playing favorites and not playing the best players can kill the culture of a team.

Last edited:
To a lot of the die hard cane fans, and or alum as myself included, its not about ranking, recruiting or coaching changes. It’s all about winning championships. You know, when was the last time cane fans had those bragging rights. About 20 years now.
Besides maybe Saban and Meyer who do you think would make this team a legitimate championship contender after 3 or 4 years?

After 2018 basically no one alive could turn this **** around in the time some of u want.

Some of us need to understand what realistically could be accomplished at this time. Stack classes and keep grinding. Consistently win the coastal and then we could adjust our views.

Im not sure Utah St would allow Joyner to play for us next year.
I was talking about this past year for all of the players mentioned. I didn't know he went to Utah State though.

Advertisement
Back